*** Daredevil (Man Without Fear) ***

Comments

• Trap's mechanic is more a flaw than a bless and this way effects should have been much more powerful.
    His powers are even less interesting than Captain America's as captain's powers are direct & low cost (if the countdown isn't destroyed of course).
    Who cares about paying 7 AP in a (at best) medium power when not knowing if it will be effective one day.

Only interesting thing about Daredevil, variety. But people in this game don't care as everybody's playing with Wolverine & Thor exclusively. As long as direct damage won't be balanced players will only play with fast & direct damage characters.

Countdowns & traps could be fun, but who cares when for the same cost you can kill an enemy instead ?
  • pasa_ wrote:
    Psychic Confusion - 10 blue ap
    [insert telepath name here] confuses the opposition. Converts a random tile to a confusion tile of the same color. While the tile is on the board enemies cannot use their passive abilities during your team's turn.
    Level 2: While the tile is on the board enemy traps are clearly marked.
    Level 3: Costs 1 less ap
    Level 4: While the tile is on the board enemies cannot use their passive abilities.
    Level 5: While the tile is on the board enemy passives which create/alter tiles will benefit your team.

So you say Volverine forgets to regenerate due to confusion? doesn't make much sense in general.

But it could stop counter tiles instead or make them count up even.

You're not wrong, but then again stunning Punisher shouldn't prevent the spread of fire from a molotov cocktail he threw a few turns ago...

I'm not saying that power I wrote is any good but if we're going to nitpick stuff like this we'll never see any new mechanics and we should probably scrap most of the ones we already have.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards

We need max abilities/stats to truely know how good bad mediocre he is though.
    The red trap damage seems pretty darn high, at least
  • what we need to know is that if it gets destroyed if it is hit by a 4-match explosion or a character ability or if it counts as matched and activates its ability
  • Spoit
    coolbond wrote:
    what we need to know is that if it gets destroyed if it is hit by a 4-match explosion or a character ability or if it counts as matched and activates its ability
    Probably not
  • Spoit wrote:
    coolbond wrote:
    what we need to know is that if it gets destroyed if it is hit by a 4-match explosion or a character ability or if it counts as matched and activates its ability
    Probably not
    well we never had anything that behaves like this so its still a possibility
  • coolbond wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    coolbond wrote:
    Probably not
    well we never had anything that behaves like this so its still a possibility

But then there would be no limitations on his abilities except the luck aspect of the enemy matching the tile. I sincerely doubt we could have Punisher blow up the tile and have it respawn. If we can great but that seems to go against the recent design decisions.

I just doubt he can create a trap that can never be destroyed before potentially activating. And the ap costs for two of the powers are fairly low. Seems like there should be some potential downside.
  • After the first wave of excitement, I am worried about Daredevil's abilities.

I think his purple is the weakest from the levels we can see (1+2). Not only is creates an environmental tiles which a human player won't want to match anyway, but the AI seems eager to match environmental tiles if it can make a match. So if Daredevil is in your defense team controlled by the AI, that tile will bounce left and right half the time after the AI keeps making matches with it. There is also no guarantee the opponent will make the match hen he has AP stored, or at least AP you can use. Spending 11 purple AP for an investment that may not give significant return, also seems like a bad idea. I find my OBW at 3 purple much more useful for stealing and easier to use. With that in mind I think 3/5/5 would be what I choose too go with. Again, based on what we know so far and assuming no additional effect is added at higher level.

His red ability is frightening. Not only it high damage, but it involves red tiles which are usually those that are needed for high damage abilities, so unless you are unlucky and the trap tile is stuck in a corner, this one is almost always going to trigger. Also, since red tiles will be matched by the opponent's high damage dealers, like Magneto, Wolverine, Punisher, Ragnarok, etc. whom you want down fast, it is good that the damage from the match will be dealt to those, making them easier to remove from the fight.

Unless the blue ability stuns the entire team for at least 1 turn, or something else is added in higher levels, I think it will be used rarely from players because even if you know who of the enemy heroes will make the match, most of the time you will want to stun heroes who can hurt you a lot like Wolverine, Ares or Thor. Magneto and Storm are targets you would like to stun and they use blue, but ultimately it depends on the opposing team's composition. Although, since my roster is only low/mid level, others know better if this ability is more useful.

Overall, I think it is good we have a hero that brings a trio of abilities we have seen in slightly different form in other heroes, like the X turn stun (Modern Black Widow and Spiderman), the AP theft (OBW, MBW and Yelena) and a high damage ability that comes with several other heroes. It remains to seen what higher levels will bring, but so far, imo, the red seems to have the most potential. At least his max health is high; should be 5800 at max level so this is something good about him.
  • coolbond wrote:
    I think the explanation is quite clear. If you match the tiles it does Action A and if the opponent makes the match the tile is does Action B. If the tiles is removed by any other way, it simply counts as a regular tile. This means that if it is destroyed by Modern Storm's green ability, it will generate 1 AP and if not, then the tiles is simply gone. If the trap tile is destroyed because it was in a row or column that was destroyed because a 4-match or a 5-match happened, and the tile is not part of the match, it is simply gone. At least this is what I understand by reading the abilities.
  • Seconding (or thirding, whatever it is by now) the prediction he's going to be ***Hawkeye once the novelty of a new mechanic wears off. Most people are going to see him as spend AP to do nothing guy. Still scared of that red.
  • interesting as only 1 of his abilities looks to scale as he levels up.

unless his AP costs reduce as the abilities train, not sure how feasible he is going to be without sinking a **** ton of ISO into him.

At least Spider-Man has healing & defense tiles scale....
  • Is that really how much damage his red does at level 15, skill level 1? That seems way too strong considering how little ap it costs, especially since it won't get destroyed if you match the tile. Jumping 189 damage from skill level 1 to skill level 2 at level 15 is a huge increase. Has anyone taken an estimated guess at how much damage it'll cause at level 141?
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    K let's estimate without any data points.

• Spoit
    GT-47LM wrote:
    Is that really how much damage his red does at level 15, skill level 1? That seems way too strong considering how little ap it costs, especially since it won't get destroyed if you match the tile. Jumping 189 damage from skill level 1 to skill level 2 at level 15 is a huge increase. Has anyone taken an estimated guess at how much damage it'll cause at level 141?
    Well that's the same base damage as unibeam's level 1, but the level 2 upgrade is about a 40% increase, compared to unibeams' 10% twice. So, probably bananas.
  • Spoit wrote:
    GT-47LM wrote:
    Is that really how much damage his red does at level 15, skill level 1? That seems way too strong considering how little ap it costs, especially since it won't get destroyed if you match the tile. Jumping 189 damage from skill level 1 to skill level 2 at level 15 is a huge increase. Has anyone taken an estimated guess at how much damage it'll cause at level 141?
    Well that's the same base damage as unibeam's level 1, but the level 2 upgrade is about a 40% increase, compared to unibeams' 10% twice. So, probably bananas.

I forgot about ironmans red, but his costs almost double the AP amount. I'm guessing it is going to be pretty crazy.

I agree with cain84, I think it'll be somewhere in that area, maybe even more.
  • GT-47LM wrote:

It's probably so powerful because its not guaranteed damage as it requires your opponent to match it, so in theory you could place it down and find your opponent doesn't match it for 10+ moves. I'd want it to be extra powerful to make the risk of wasting the AP worth it.
  • DaveyPitch wrote:
    GT-47LM wrote:

It's probably so powerful because its not guaranteed damage as it requires your opponent to match it, so in theory you could place it down and find your opponent doesn't match it for 10+ moves. I'd want it to be extra powerful to make the risk of wasting the AP worth it.

Also, what if the wrong opponent matches it. You don't get to choose who matches it like you do for other abilities. If the matcher has 400 health, that is a wasted tile.
  • Psychadelic effects on the purple trap, with Daredevil doing his best jazz hands. Definitely worth a spot on my main roster.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Where is the crazy SOB out there that bought all his covers because they are DD's #1 fan? I want to know what his levels are for his abilities.