*** Daredevil (Man Without Fear) ***

Comments

• uuddlrlr wrote:
    Match-4 activates the trap?
    Does that also apply if the trap is not one of the 4 gems matched, but it is in the same column/row that the Match-4 ?
    That's exactly what it means, otherwise it would be quite redundant statement.
  • I don't think they want to create a character that's just flat out powerful like the old Thor or Wolverine. Daredevil is a solid character with a very strong deterrent. Like mentioned, with maxed red he can basically one hit kill just about anybody on the same level. Sure, you can just not match red once he puts a red trap, but doing that severely limits your options for offense. Right now, only Daken and Wolverine 2* can effectvely deal with his red trap, and Wolverine likely needs a lot of red to start before he can overwrite enough red tiles. So, he's pretty much always going to be a painful matchup unless the opponent uses Daken. And that might be enough to encourage someone to not attack you in the first place. It's similar to how nobody really uses Hulk for offense (unless in conjunction with Patch) but you bring him anyway because most people don't want to mess with Hulk on defense.
  • I think Daredevil ability is way too unpredictable and unreliable, and it makes it even worse that Daken can override the red traps. So here's my suggestion:

Lower the damage on the red trap, I mean a lot lower. But also lower the AP cost to like 5 max 2 AP. This way you can litter the map with traps and more likely to trigger a trap and it actually feels like Daredevil does something.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I don't think they want to create a character that's just flat out powerful like the old Thor or Wolverine. Daredevil is a solid character with a very strong deterrent. Like mentioned, with maxed red he can basically one hit kill just about anybody on the same level. Sure, you can just not match red once he puts a red trap, but doing that severely limits your options for offense. Right now, only Daken and Wolverine 2* can effectvely deal with his red trap, and Wolverine likely needs a lot of red to start before he can overwrite enough red tiles. So, he's pretty much always going to be a painful matchup unless the opponent uses Daken. And that might be enough to encourage someone to not attack you in the first place. It's similar to how nobody really uses Hulk for offense (unless in conjunction with Patch) but you bring him anyway because most people don't want to mess with Hulk on defense.

Don't forget that doom, m. Storm, and punisher can also effectively shut down dd's red ability as well, and m. Storm can pretty much null and void every single one of his abilities between her abilities.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    The trap tiles are interesting (albeit flawed), but the more I think about it the less they make sense for Daredevil. DD is an agile, silent brawler that you can't get the drop on. He should be the one avoiding traps, not placing them. Traps would make sense for other characters like Forge, Arcade, Kraven, or... The Trapper.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    The trap tiles are interesting (albeit flawed), but the more I think about it the less they make sense for Daredevil. DD is an agile, silent brawler that you can't get the drop on. He should be the one avoiding traps, not placing them. Traps would make sense for other characters like Forge, Arcade, Kraven, or... The Trapper.
    Visible traps or other detrimental tile also could have been an interesting mechanic for villains. Imagine having two enemies, one placing dangerous green countdowns while the other spams green nuisances you'd rather avoid.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been thinking a bit about how traps could be improved or "fixed". It seems like a great idea in theory, yet poorly executed. I propose the following;

Daredevil places traps in the form of Countdown tiles. These will be visible like ordinary countdown tiles are now.
    Current traps show that the game can tell which team matches a tile already, so using that same logic I think the "countdown traps" should act like this:
    * on opponent match: trap activates at full effect as they do now.
    * on countdown timeout: trap activates at minor effect and moves places.
    * on friendly match or tile destruction: trap is removed with no effect.

This would encourage the player to protect their traps like they currently do already with countdown tiles. It also proposes a difficult problem to the opponent - if they match it, they will take the full effect but that's it; if they leave it, they'll keep taking the minor effect until they can destroy it.

I think the only change that would be needed is to reduce the cost of the abilities slightly, as they can now be seen, but since "visibility" is the same "drawback" that all other special tiles currently have, I do not think it hinders these too much. Additionally, I think we're already used to matching away countdown tiles when possible and these would subvert the expected behaviour. I'm not sure how to balance the number of turns on the tiles, possibly only 2 or 3 at most, since stunning DD would stop the countdown.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think his abilities are just fine, except for overwrite "bug".
  • grifman wrote:
    Give him one direct attack for fall back.
    Have tiles destroyed by foes that clear rows or sections relocate to another tile.

He needs to be more reliable, not based upon hoping something will happen that might not.

Currently, tiles destroyed by foes from 4 or 5 matches activate the trap. Unfortunately, abilities that transform basic tiles deactivate traps :/
  • This is as intended. If tile transformation triggered traps, traps would be overpowered (for many powers, you have no control over where the tile transformation happens). If it didn't, but didn't transform the trap, you could use tile transformation powers where you selected the tile to transform to discover where traps are located. We also wanted things to be consistent with the general rule: the way to destroy a trap is to get rid of it with an ability.

I could see it being overpowered if it was triggered, but I think disabling it makes the defense overpowered. I think letting the defense know where it is because it didn't change is a good balance and follows the rule of no strike tiles on special tiles. The only problem with that is the AI has an accuse to make the poor decision to match a trap tile when it shouldn't know where it is. If the location of a trap is revealed and the computer matches it anyway, it adds another way where the player is better than the AI. Tough choice, although I still like the middle option better than replacing it completely. If the trap tiles just glowed or something, you could do both, but that could get confusing and only fits a more magical character.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Traps shouldn't be bound to a specific color, and especially not the same color you've been matching to activate the skill to begin with.

Collect Red AP, drop Red Trap... there are now no more red matches on the field.....

Also, Trap tiles should be able to coexist with countdown/strike/attack/defense tiles. This even looks like the original intent, as the Trap icon does not block the regular icon.
  • turul
    It could return the AP / part of the AP. Or simply dont play Daredevil vs Daken icon_e_smile.gif
  • turul wrote:
    It could return the AP / part of the AP. Or simply dont play Daredevil vs Daken icon_e_smile.gif

Right. Just don't play Daredevil against ANYONE who places tiles of their own. That doesn't limit his usage at all. Isn't he already useless against all minion battles?
  • turul
    turul wrote:

Right. Just don't play Daredevil against ANYONE who places tiles of their own. That doesn't limit his usage at all. Isn't he already useless against all minion battles?

Most other enemies produce these tiles at a far less rate...
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    That is a point...why *doesn't* it just stay trapped but with the power under it?
    You could easilly have a strike tile with a trap on it, surely?
  • Yea, either both strike and trap or it doesn't change. It really just shouldn't change, but I think that would require changing the AI or it would play even worse than it already does.
  • turul wrote:
    turul wrote:

Most other enemies produce these tiles at a far less rate...

Yes, but with minions, they don't make matches except for the rare cascade. So, DD is useless for those matches as well.

So, don't use DD against:
    all minion battles
    Wolverine
    Daken
    Venom
    Captain America (not that anyone uses him anyway)
    *Storm
    Punisher

He's starting to look pretty worthless to me. And these are just the tile placers. If you add the tiles destroyers...?
  • A big improvement is that you can target a countdown tile. If you dont select the tile, the trap is placed randomly.

That will encourage the use of countdown heroes.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    When a trap is triggered, Daredevil's team should get all the AP from the match or cascade that triggered it.
  • When a trap is triggered, Daredevil's team should get all the AP from the match or cascade that triggered it.
    Trap effects are already good enough if the opponent triggers them, I don't think they should be improved. I'd rather like to see the effects for self-matching traps a little, currently they tend to be pretty useless in all-minions fights. Maybe something like this:

- Self-matching purple traps steals a purple AP. Improve to an additional red AP stolen at purple 3 and an additional blue AP stolen at purple 5.
    - Self-matching blue traps generates a blue AP. Improve to an additional purple AP generated at blue 3 and an additional red AP generated at blue 5.
    - Self-matching red traps causes some minor damage to the opponent. Increase that damage a bit.