***** Silver Surfer (Skyrider) *****

Comments

• babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    This character is hard to judge thanks to the IceIX post of buffing 4*'s down the road. There's no real way to tell how much more powerful SS will be relative to the norm now. (well played D3, lol)

I will make a couple of observations:

1) Notice that this is a CHARGED tile creator and the skills are still very powerful. Compare SS's blue to Rags blue or the damage/cost of his red compared to 4thors red. This is not only makes SS impressive but you gotta wonder how powerful 5*s will be when they don't use a mechanic as highly valued by the design team as charged tiles.

2) LOVE the design of these characters and how covers have a much smaller impact on power. Makes me wish all tiers were like this even though it's WAY too late to make that happen.

3) Can't wait to see Black Hole in action. That skill seems fun and feels truly 5* worthy by design. Great job!

4) 3/5/5 seems like the clear optimal build here since offense trumps defense and the 3 cover heal is still extremely impressive.

5) Those 5-10 people who opt to spend $10,000+ on whaling out SS right away will be in MPQ heaven for the rest of the year.

6) His only damage skill is pretty pathetic against his own tier. 8000 damage for 59,000 health character is nothing. Especially one with true healing that dwarfs this. SS will be a SLOW offensive character in the 5* tier of MPQ. Clearly intended to be a support/tank character.

7) The fact that he's a true healer likely means that 60,000 health is actually going to be low relative to other 5* releases.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haha! Immortalized forever as the creator of the first 5* deacription. My epitaph is now complete!

These stats seem much higher than any of us would have guessed. Hard to see how 5*s won't completely dominate the meta next spring when people have 8-10 covers.

Curious how they scale with just 2 or 3 covers.

I share babinro's concerns that match length may get too long with these new health levels. I don't know that increased match damage will be enough to offset more than tripling health.

I also agree with babinro's guesses about the support-y ness and offensive weakness of this character.

Would expect at least one of the next 2 5*s to have higher health and/or higher damage abilities.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    jesus tap dancing Christ

so powerful.... I can't even
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Haha! Immortalized forever as the creator of the first 5* deacription. My epitaph is now complete!

These stats seem much higher than any of us would have guessed. Hard to see how 5*s won't completely dominate the meta next spring when people have 8-10 covers.

Curious how they scale with just 2 or 3 covers.

I share babinro's concerns that match length may get too long with these new health levels. I don't know that increased match damage will be enough to offset more than tripling health.

I also agree with babinro's guesses about the support-y ness and offensive weakness of this character.

Would expect at least one of the next 2 5*s to have higher health and/or higher damage abilities.

congrats! what is truly comical is that he was designed and built so closely to your post, which was partially in jest.
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    turul wrote:
    Is the black hole tile:
    - replaceable (overwriteable)? (Cpt-america)
    - destroyable by powers?
    - affected by CD-tile turn-length altering powers?
    - movable by powers? (Loki)

/piggyback

Redwing?
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    So fully covered/leveled SS is basically an "I win" button for pvp? You could literally bring in Bagman and Yelena and still dominate any team.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    "SAM! Redwing...he was sucked into that black hole! My God, he's gone forever! You must be devastated!"

"Nah, he'll be back in three turns. Less if one of us punches the place where the black hole used to be."
  • Does it actually say anywhere what he does with those charged tiles? I didn't see any mention in the ability descriptions other than placing them.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    They'll beef up the effects of Silver Singularity, because the tiles it destroys generate AP.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Does it actually say anywhere what he does with those charged tiles? I didn't see any mention in the ability descriptions other than placing them.

Charged tiles give what 3x damage and ap. he has a 4x critical and 500+ match damage. So it kills the other team when he matches them.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    Isay_Isay wrote:
    nwman wrote:
    Well this is insanity. How any team beats him I'm not sure.

Then you can pair this with patch, the enemy strike tiles are not going to matter to this guy.

Well technically all you need to do is whittle down his health to 23,738 and let Punisher down him with Retribution.

Easy peasy!

Yupp hide Punisher behind Devil Dino and Kingpin then one shot to Surfer's head.. VICTORY! Dino arms flailing around!
  • Vhailorx
    Jam Adams: my post was informed by the community video, so any accurate information in it was pure cheating on my part (except the colors, I guess 2/3 colors correctly, and almost had red instead of purple).

As for charged tiles, that is a good point. If his match damage is 500 per tile. So what happen if he charges his primary tiles and then destroys them with black hole. That could be as much as 1500 damage per tile. Meaning black hole might be very painful for everyone who isn't another 5*.

And yeah, these 5*s are all just a backdoor buff for retribution! Vive la punisher!
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    So fully covered/leveled SS is basically an "I win" button for pvp? You could literally bring in Bagman and Yelena and still dominate any team.

That would be awesome if someone actually does that. To be fair Bag-Man could extend Surfer's black CD tile lol
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm hoping he takes up 2 spots in PvP or PvE. Like in Transformers Tactics where you field a team of 4, but if you use a combiner, you can only field 3. So if having a 5* limits you to 2 slots I'm on board.
  • Deilinvega
    Deilinvega Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Well... As soon as the whales cover him, most of us can throw the towel and stop playing PvP all together icon_razz.gif
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I'm hoping he takes up 2 spots in PvP or PvE. Like in Transformers Tactics where you field a team of 4, but if you use a combiner, you can only field 3. So if having a 5* limits you to 2 slots I'm on board.

Nop, someone asked in the main thread and IceX said that just one slot...

He is very powerful against 4 and 3s, but I dont know against other 5s. 8k is a lot against those but nothing against someone who has 60000 hitpoints...
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

Nop, someone asked in the main thread and IceX said that just one slot...

He is very powerful against 4 and 3s, but I dont know against other 5s. 8k is a lot against those but nothing against someone who has 60000 hitpoints...

i Think this is why he is being released first.. yes he has truckloads of HP, and a heal that requires loads of AP to use.. but no attack over what a well covered 4* can do.. so he will not be a gamebreaker in climbing in PVP..

He will of course be a major scarecrow. No-one is going to want to take on that monster HP in a hop unless you are super-whaling it.
  • Vhailorx
    Well, we don't know how much health. He will have at lower covers/levels malcrof.

Let's hope health doesn't scale linearly like covers, in which case he will be starting at about 34k health, which would be truly meta-warping.
  • All this concern is pretty pointless...he's getting nerfed once he generates enough income anyway. icon_lol.gif
  • Vhailorx
    GMadMan040 wrote:
    All this concern is pretty pointless...he's getting nerfed once he generates enough income anyway. icon_lol.gif

I think it's way more likely that everyone else will be changed signficantly to match the new, massive power boost that 5*s represent.

Also, the monetization scheme for 5*s seems to more geared towards incentivizing people to buy 40 packs, rather than trying to get us to direct buy the current top dog before nerfing or otherwise shifting the meta. Perhaps this design change is a response to the uproar from nerfing 4*thor and xfw.

Marginally off-topic, but I continue to be amazed at the blatantly predatory pricing and design strategies in this and other freemium games. (and of course, I am also amazed by my,own hypocrisy for continuing to play this game, though I have been f2p for months).