Hey D3, this was not a coop event.

Options

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    On the one hand, I feel bad for those actively trying and missed out because of the surprise ending. On the other, I don't feel bad for anyone who puts in half the effort and expects the rewards anyway (of which every alliance I'm sure has a couple).

There should be a way to continue to accumulate points though. This would be the first PvE where points stop being available before the end of the event, and for a special event, that's not the way you want it to be unique.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Honestly, if there's a Quicksilver cover to miss out on, it's the green. You only need one to get 90% of the use you'd get from FoF level 5. And it's been his easiest cover to get thus far -- anybody who finished top 150 in his debut PvE already has it. Anybody who finished top 25 in Lethal Intent already has it. Anybody who cleared 800 points in Blue Shift already has it. And if you can hit 1 million points in AvU but didn't hit any of those milestones, you're probably also not the kind of player to get bent out of shape about missing a single extremely **** cover.
  • Steam Player here, my alliance is done already so just going to share my experience just the facts, not complaining actually liked this event a lot and got a nice haul of rewards, but it could use some tweaks before the second run if possible.

Event opened at Noon on Friday, I can only play at home so others in the alliance got a nice head start. How nice you ask, I started roughly 8 hours after the event started and we were already on round 5. That is 4 rounds that all the node rewards went to the early grinders. I made my clears throughout the weekend and caught up to middle of the pack. We heard from other alliances that the event ended when ultron died so our point leaders literally stopped playing once they crossed 1 million points. All told 5 people earned that final progression, I was above 920k in 10th so at least 5 of us were less than 10% away with 48 hours left when it abruptly ended.

So funnily enough if an alliance were in perfect lockstep doing the event 100% efficiently with every member contributing equally there is a real chance that none of those people would get that final QS progression, how messed up would that be. What is a commander to do in that situation, flip a coin and tell half of their members to stop at 750 so the other half can get progression and then wait and see if there is enough points for anyone else to make a run for it also without letting the clock run out before the end? Definitely an odd system.
  • Chief270
    Chief270 Posts: 137
    Options
    This was a coop event. A nicely done one too imo.

Round 8 should stay open for people to get progression, again imo.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So I disagree with the statement that this is not a cooperative event. It's the most coop event that D3's ever had.

It's not perfect, and I do agree that they could have been more transparent about the fact that there would not be mad progressions available to everyone. But that issue forced people to be even more cooperative, as the max progressors stopped playing to give their colleagues a chance. While at the same time the higher point players still had to be ready to step in if the alliance stood a risk of not getting all SW nodes unlocked. It required a level of strategy and cooperation that we hadn't seen before

If this event construct has caused significant harm to an alliance, then I respectfully suggest that the problem might be with the alliance itself, not D3's event design
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I agree the event should be open as long as the event goes, but I also can't muster a shred of sympathy for people whose alliances have netted them 3 SW covers for while they did not/could not play. You're still part of the top 2%.
  • If I had known there was no way for me to hit that last progression I would have hit the next to last one and paused so others could make it over the final hill. So yes this was a very co-op event we just didn't know enough about it and didn't realize there would be a final every man for himself carrot at the very end. It seems out of place in an otherwise perfectly cooperative event.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So funnily enough if an alliance were in perfect lockstep doing the event 100% efficiently with every member contributing equally there is a real chance that none of those people would get that final QS progression, how messed up would that be. What is a commander to do in that situation, flip a coin and tell half of their members to stop at 750 so the other half can get progression and then wait and see if there is enough points for anyone else to make a run for it also without letting the clock run out before the end? Definitely an odd system.

It never occurred to me that an alliance in total lockstep would run into this problem. To me that's a worse scenario than a few heavy grinders shutting a few under-performers out. My alliance saw the writing on the wall right away, and had a discussion on day one about whether people would need to stop scoring once they hit the final progression. We figured we would need the top scorers to keep going to have any chance at finishing Round 8, and that turns out to be the case, because we'll probably finish with just a few hours to spare.

The math is definitely wrong here. If it was set up where only three people could get top progression, then maybe the rest would just say, hey, grats, instead of feeling left out. But that isn't cooperative, its a competition within the alliance. And why shut out the bottom five or seven? It seems arbitrary. I do hope they adjust some of these things for the next run.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2015
    Options
    stowaway wrote:
    I do hope they adjust some of these things for the next run.
    I'm halfway scared they up the Hulkbuster requirements to finish round 8. Double hit points of all rounds or something.

It would alleviate the competition aspect of the event BUT it's a 4* and only .5% of us are supposed to get all three covers from a 4* based on previous releases, right? icon_razz.gif
  • I do agree that anyone who did not make up 1kk score should be able to still beat ultron afterwards, but why take the node from the others?

Its not like this would accomplish anything at all, on the other side they would still be able to hit the essentials and main nodes for the prizes like tokens and HP on 3/6 of the fights on the hardest level of the event (ultron 400).
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There was only enough points in the event for exactly 16 people in your alliance to get the 1,000,000 progression reward if....everyone hit exactly 1,000,0000 pts and nobody else scored anything, there's around 1billion points our alliance got 1,033,024,478 and only 14 people got the reward. Had those above 15-20 scored exactly 1,000,000 it would have only left enough points for 1-16 to get the reward. I have no idea why.

A. The event ended once Round 9 completed, we could have just played for ISO
    B. Why would there even be a cap on points or if there was, why so high?

This was a cool event, but poorly impltmented on some regards, hopefully they rectify it with Hulkbuster.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    orbitalint wrote:
    stowaway wrote:
    I'm halfway scared they up the Hulkbuster requirements to finish round 8. Double hit points of all rounds or something.

It would alleviate the competition aspect of the event BUT it's a 4* and only .5% of us are supposed to get all three covers from a 4* based on previous releases, right? icon_razz.gif

Trust me, we wont' be getting 3 covers like Scarlet Witch, my guess is the 8th node will be a red Hulkbuster cover, the others will be 3*'s, hopefully more Scarlet Witch's
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    orbitalint wrote:
    stowaway wrote:

Trust me, we wont' be getting 3 covers like Scarlet Witch, my guess is the 8th node will be a red Hulkbuster cover, the others will be 3*'s, hopefully more Scarlet Witch's
    I know it is a special anniversary type of event so it was extra generous with rewards, but why so confident the second run wouldn't be just as generous? Unless they're planning IMHB rewards in a "conventional" pve as well I don't see how they could possibly release him and only let people get one cover.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Echoing others, there should have been a level 9, or Open Play level after level 8 with infinite health, and the prizes should unlock again after all of them have been claimed so you aren't just grinding for 20 Iso.

This would allow the alliance top players to clear 8 for the rest of the alliance, and the rest of the alliance to clear their progression points.

I think a redistribution of level health to make the first few levels not go by so fast, that way the weaker rosters can play more at the beginning, and the stronger alliances can pick up more at the end.

Our alliance discussed it and decided unlocking the 3rd SW cover was better for the alliance than getting a 3rd QS (who i personally hated using in this event). Loved his black, hated his blue. His blue blocks me from making match 5's more often than it stops the ai. And the annoyance isn't work the measly couple hundred points it does when it finally goes off. Wish I could trade it in for another black or Green...

I LOVED this event. Hit 1 million last night even without an Iron Man in my roster, and as a 3* transitioning player, it feels good to be able to help your alliance out so much. More fulfilling than PVE's have been the last couple months. Some great token pulls, first 4 pulls got me 3 SW covers... then it went downhill, but still was fun!

Some tweaks before HulkBuster one, and this will be awesome!
  • I think their decision to remove ultron was correct. You defeated Ultron , he's dead . Why should he still be there? Second they promoted beating Ultron and opening the Ultron prime modes to get the scarlet witch covers. That was the goal- beat Ultron get Scarlet witch. The goal wasn't to obtain the progression points. That's more like an incentive. The event was coop since you needed the whole alliance to attack Ultron otherwise you wouldn't be able to clear all the levels.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mrx0 wrote:
    I think their decision to remove ultron was correct. You defeated Ultron , he's dead . Why should he still be there? Second they promoted beating Ultron and opening the Ultron prime modes to get the scarlet witch covers. That was the goal- beat Ultron get Scarlet witch. The goal wasn't to obtain the progression points. That's more like an incentive. The event was coop since you needed the whole alliance to attack Ultron otherwise you wouldn't be able to clear all the levels.

It wasn't like they had such a deep Ultron story here where he was defeated therefore the node needs to close. In fact, there was zero story text, so you can't pretend there is a logical reason to make him disappear after round 8.
  • notamutant wrote:
    Mrx0 wrote:
    I think their decision to remove ultron was correct. You defeated Ultron , he's dead . Why should he still be there? Second they promoted beating Ultron and opening the Ultron prime modes to get the scarlet witch covers. That was the goal- beat Ultron get Scarlet witch. The goal wasn't to obtain the progression points. That's more like an incentive. The event was coop since you needed the whole alliance to attack Ultron otherwise you wouldn't be able to clear all the levels.

It wasn't like they had such a deep Ultron story here where he was defeated therefore the node needs to close. In fact, there was zero story text, so you can't pretend there is a logical reason to make him disappear after round 8.

Well the round does have to close to trigger the last ultron prime node to open. As I said the goal was beat Ultron, get scarlet witch. And that's what happens.
    Keeping ultron alive at the end would be no different from giving him infinite at the beginning and seeing if you can reach a 1 million points in 4.5 days. But that wouldn't be fun. This structure was fine.
  • Mrx0 wrote:
    Well the round does have to close to trigger the last ultron prime node to open. As I said the goal was beat Ultron, get scarlet witch. And that's what happens.
    Keeping ultron alive at the end would be no different from giving him infinite at the beginning and seeing if you can reach a 1 million points in 4.5 days. But that wouldn't be fun. This structure was fine.
    It would be fine if there was enough scores for all 20 members to hit 1kk score.
  • ShionSinX wrote:
    Mrx0 wrote:
    It would be fine if there was enough scores for all 20 members to hit 1kk score.

The thing is not everyone can get a million points. Sure some some alliances can but there are some alliances that cant make it through round 6 and get at least 1 scarlet witch.
    I see the progression points as an incentive, you contribute more you get awarded with additional covers.
    If you got all three scarlet witch covers, be happy.
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Mrx0 wrote:
    The thing is not everyone can get a million points. Sure some some alliances can but there are some alliances that cant make it through round 6 and get at least 1 scarlet witch.
    I see the progression points as an incentive, you contribute more you get awarded with additional covers.
    If you got all three scarlet witch covers, be happy.

If not everyone can get 1M points, then some in the alliance will have to get more. Creating the event so that only a portion of the alliance can get the final progression makes the incentive a stick rather than a carrot. If you are in a strong alliance you better get there first. I'm not sure why people are trying to argue that's a good thing. icon_e_confused.gif

ETA: I'd love to see them add life to ultron in the first 3-4 rounds. Some of our members didn't even get to play those rounds we burned through them so fast. And lowering the barrier for completing round 6 so that more alliances can have a shot to get at least one cover wouldn't be a bad thing either. I'm not sure why we can't band together and argue with D3 for things that improve the game for everyone rather than bicker amongst ourselves.