** Storm (Classic) ** [PRE 2013-12]

Comments

• There are a lot of great character ability combos in the game, but when skipping through tournament options, you're going to see an overwhelming number of Classic Storms and Thors. No exaggeration, well over half the teams I saw in the Venom tourney were Venom/Thor/C. Storm. But if you ask me, that's not a bad thing, nor is it terribly surprising.

1. 2* characters are just better than 1* characters.

A level 85 cap is so much larger than the 1* 50 cap (40 for the 2-skill 1*s) that it's really hard to justify using the 1*s that you get in the tutorial missions. Much as I love my Spidey/Venom combo, as time goes on, the extremely low stat cap on Venom is probably going to push me to another team, and that's ok.

2. Thor and C. Storm are given away in the Prologue.

Everyone has covers for these two characters. They are the first 2* characters you get, and they are pretty much strict upgrades over Iron Man and Modern Storm. (I actually prefer Modern Storm's moveset, but again, the stat cap is low.) They are logical ISO investments for the new player, and it's natural for players to become attached to their first investments. (I call this Starter Pokemon Syndrome.)

3. C. Storm teams can earn extremely fast wins against the AI in buffed guest character tournaments.

Average game length cross-referenced to team composition is a metric I'd be very, very interested in right now. I have no trouble beating C. Storm on offense, but the fight is slow. I fell out of top 100 in the Venom tournament because I just couldn't rack up enough wins per hour with my slow grindy team. The teams that are rising to the top are teams that can win fast - right now, that's Ragnarok and C. Storm. (And pray to Galactus if your opponent has both.)

There are a lot of characters that are more powerful than C. Storm, and a lot of characters that are more fun to play with than C. Storm. But if wins per hour is the metric that wins tournaments, we're going to be seeing a ton of C. Storms for a long time. I suspect we'll see fewer of them in this week's tourney, and that as players get more Heroic pulls we'll start seeing more character diversity. Until then: Storm is both an X-Man and a Mutant, and that's what the boosts are for. icon_e_wink.gif
  • I see lots of Iron Mans too, so do you think he should be nerfed? I don't think any character needs nerfing at the moment.

Also the fights against Classic Storm are the most interesting ones - more thinking is required than in most other fights.

I just downed 2 of my team and almost downed the 3rd by being an idiot though - I somehow failed to notice the opposing team had Classic Storm, so I took Classic Storm into the fight, and someone with low HP (Bullseye) ended up at the front of my team somehow. I like to imagine the conversation:
    Bullseye: "ouch!"
    Storm: "don't worry I will protect you!"
    Iron Man & Bullseye: "nooooooo!!!!"
  • Starter characters always get a pass when calculating usage statistics obviously.
  • Screenshot_2013-11-05-10-55-54.png

<Snip less readable stats>
  • I didn't see board on this character.

She has low HP, but I find her powers useful.

The storm cost 12 green tiles but destroying other tiles can quickly fill the other colors.
    The Blue power imo is very powerful. At level 3 (I don't have it better) it cost 11, but stunning one target for 3 turns + dealing 829 damages to the whole team (Storm lvl 50) is great
    The yellow power (passive) is more situational. But when you face powerful opponents it can save your life (after they destroyed it icon_e_biggrin.gif)

For now, I play her in a team with Cpt. America (I don't have yet a powerful Red character) and Black widow (even if the blue power is a little bit redundant).
  • I've started a new account this week, since changing my tablet for a Nexus 7 2013.

For some reason my Classic Storm ability Raging Tempest isn't firing any more (it did on my old save). She's been hit by abilities which have done damage > 20% of her total life, but nothing happens. Same goes for if another team member is hit for > 20% life.

Any ideas? I miss that ability, it's absolutely brutal leveled up icon_e_smile.gif
  • It's working fine for me. Couple things:
    1) the ability works when teammates are hit, not her
    2) she cannot be stunned
    3) if an attack targets whole team, she must survive
  • Cheers for the reply, Shikao.

Yep, I knew all that from my last Classic Storm.. though I thought it triggered from damage to any of your team (including Storm)?

Either way, I'll check and make sure non-Storm team-mates aren't triggering it, and report back icon_e_smile.gif
  • Looks like that was is, Shikao!

I put her on a team with a lvl 1 character and had them take a hit - Raging Tempest triggered fine.

So it was my misunderstanding - I believe, erroneously, that it would trigger when Storm took the hit. However, it looks like it's only team mates who are protected by it.

Thanks again for your reply, Shikao.
  • encoderboy wrote:
    I've started a new account this week, since changing my tablet for a Nexus 7 2013.

You could have linked it to your Facebook account and transferred it... that is unless you weren't happy with it and wanted to start over. Just a thought - I would recommend it with your new account if you're liking it because if your tablet breaks, gets lost/stolen, the Android Golems eat your data, etc... you can always re-port it somewhere else.
    encoderboy wrote:
    For some reason my Classic Storm ability Raging Tempest isn't firing any more (it did on my old save). She's been hit by abilities which have done damage > 20% of her total life, but nothing happens. Same goes for if another team member is hit for > 20% life.

I noticed the same thing and was like, "What? Is this a 'chance' ability???" and then I realized what is happening (99% sure - but we'd need IceIX to verif).

I THINK that it needs to be one attack, not a chain of attacks. I have noticed it in chain attacks, but I think that is only because one of them was >20%. If your max health is 1000 and you have >200 damage done in chunks of, say, 100 - I don't think it triggers. I'm thinking it needs to be one attack, not many smaller ones.

I'm almost certain this is the case because the skill description says when a teammate takes "direct damage" the skill is activated. I would think that "direct damage" would most likely mean from the main attack, not the subsequent chain matches. So, for this to actually work, you'd need a mid-level character to use a CRITICAL on their high(est) damage color or a very strong opponent to +4/5 to damage >20%.

The only advice that I can give you is to take a somewhat low-middle level character into battle as a sacrifice to trigger. Since your higher leveled characters will have tile control, you will need to keep matching environmental tiles to get them in front. Just keep them in the back until you see the enemy with enough AP to launch an attack and +3 some environmental tiles to put them out front to take the hit.

This is also good becuase it keeps your other players safe to take down a now weaker team.

Hope this helps.
  • I appreciate the advice, Juggerlo.

Yeah, really wish I'd looked up this forum before I started my new account! I didn't know I could back up my save via FB. I still have my old tablet (and its account), but as it stands, I've now spent money on both accounts, so will probably just live with it.

I've (never?) / rarely seen it trigger from tile matching damage. I'm used to it firing when a character gets hit by a special attack (either from villain abilities, or soldier type tiles counting down).

I tested it a little while ago by putting a low level char in a team with Storm and fought a Spy. When a Silent Strike went off, and hit the low lvl for lots of damage, it triggered correctly.

I think I haven't been seeing it work this playthrough, as my new Storm is ~15 levels below my other characters. This means she can now take 20% damage without anyone else doing so icon_e_smile.gif Whereas before if a whole team attack was doing enough damage to 20% Storm, it was also doing 20% to other heroes.

Anyway, really appreciate your replies, guys! Looks like I just misunderstood the ability.
  • I use C. Storm and Ragnarok and I love them. There is an issue with the balance, though. Already 50% of my battles I can win by using rag's thunder clap to generate green, c. Storms green ability to generate red, and so on until I kill 2 characters before 1 move has even been made. God help the other team if they hit one of my guys in the process as I then can bust out 2-3 thunderclaps and 2 to 3 tempests. Add maxed ability marvel now magneto to the mix and I win over half my battles in one move with boosts. As cool as that is, it's also annoying to be FORCED to play that way to do well in tourneys! Wins per hour is the ONLY way to get rewards and even the, I'm having a toughost time keeping up in the tourneys because I go to school, work, and do everyday like stuff! I think the solution would be NOT nerfing /buffing characters, but CHANGING the tourney format by altering win cons or eliminating wph altogether.
  • Shuino
    Shuino Posts: 164 Tile Toppler
    Everyone has to remember people are using Thor and Classic Storm because the cards were free to obtain before the patch. When the patch hit I ended up with a 5/4/4 Thor and a 4/5/4 Classic Storm. Also, Classic Storm in PvP is very easily to handle. I'm usually always a top 10 player and I don't think I have ever been hit with Classic Storm's yellow more than 4 or 5 times since I started playing this game. I will say it does need changed for tournaments where you are forced to use a supplied Hero at a low level. (Example being the Venom tournament recently)
  • Try out the suggestions forum, where every man and his dog is obsessed with how OP Classic Storm is!

Some max level stats for you, with a 5/4/4 build:

Classic Storm - Level 85

2670 HP

Damage
    39 Yellow
    11 Red
    45 Blue
    50 Green
    9 Pink
    10 Black

3.5x Multiplier
    3 Environment Tile

Lightning Storm (Level 5)
    Power Cost 12 AP
    Destroys one tile for every green AP, dealing damage and generating AP. So, at 30 green AP, that's a lot of AP coming in and damage dealt - typically hits for 300-400 damage, but fluctuates.

Wind Storm (Level 4)
    Power Cost 11 AP
    Damages each opponent for 1670 and stuns the target for 3 turns. (Stuns for 4 turns at Level 5, if you choose to go that route)

Raging Tempest (Level 4)
    Power Cost 0 AP
    (Passive ability) If either of Storm's allies are damaged for 20% of their max health, all enemies are damaged for 1670 and 5 red AP is generated. Source of much ire on these forums. (Generates 6 red AP at Level 5, if you choose to go that route.)
  • I just don't get all the pessimism about Classic Storm, to me she is NOT a big problem. I wish people would just enjoy the character!
  • The Ladder wrote:
    I just don't get all the pessimism about Classic Storm, to me she is NOT a big problem. I wish people would just enjoy the character!

Honestly, if they don't fix her I'll do just that. Why bother putting in effort when I could just exploit my way to success?
  • I guess I don't see it from a lower level perspective - not many of the top players need to use Storm for exploitative purposes. In fact, it's rarely even possible, if you pair her with max level Ragnaroks/Thors etc, unless you get hit by Thor's yellow hammer, nobody is ever hitting you for 20% max hp damage! I use her quite a bit as she can generate quick AP and I like to use a blend of abilities to finish off opponents. Don't see all that many Storm's amongst the 'big boys', it has to be said.
  • The thing is, she is really easy to beat when you are attacking her. So you shoot up the ladder (NPI), and then complain when you loose a bunch of points overnight. Opinions on the point structure of tournaments aside, the problem with Storm Classic is that she only works for humans. One fix might be to make her power activate when she gets hit as well. This would make her way more powerful so it maybe she should be stunned after the effect. This would also stop instances of two Storm Classics bouncing attacks back and forth. It all depends on if you think she's actually a problem.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    I guess I don't see it from a lower level perspective - not many of the top players need to use Storm for exploitative purposes. In fact, it's rarely even possible, if you pair her with max level Ragnaroks/Thors etc, unless you get hit by Thor's yellow hammer, nobody is ever hitting you for 20% max hp damage! I use her quite a bit as she can generate quick AP and I like to use a blend of abilities to finish off opponents. Don't see all that many Storm's amongst the 'big boys', it has to be said.
    They must have all decided to not play in the last tourney then because 2 out of 3 teams I saw were running her. I wasn't in low levels either. I was in contention for the loki prizes and made it as high as #22. I actually don't see a lot of high level ragnaroks. I saw a few but I just skipped them.
  • Ranzera wrote:
    I actually don't see a lot of high level ragnaroks. I saw a few but I just skipped them.
    Do you not think this has something to do with c.Storm being easy to obtain and Ragnarok being hard to obtain? Factoring this in, I actually consider the Ragnarok:c.Storm ratio to be in Ragnarok's favour.

Popularity aside, tell me this, do you actually have trouble defeating c.Storm? Why did you skip those Ragnaroks if not for the fact that he's powerful?
This discussion has been closed.