*** Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel) ***

Comments

• scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    How come marvel.com has not done (or has yet to do) an interview for the upcoming Kamala release?
    Not that there's an issue with the MTV interview, but the format change seems random.

Eh, more exposure is a good thing.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    Trisul wrote:
    Yay on the character, bleh on the naming. Exact reverse of Captain America (Steve Rogers). Consistency, dammit!
    The naming is a definite sore point, especially with Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel) out there too. The problem is that while fans know that there can be two Ms. Marvels but not two Mjolnir wielders, average players don't. So they understand why they can't choose Thor (Goddess) and Thor (Modern) at the same time. Same name, same character. Same with Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) and Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel). But if we flip it to Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), that mixes up the whole thing even more. Meanwhile, it's fine and already in the game as accepted to have Yelena (DA Black Widow) with Natasha, or Wolverine with Daken (DA Wolverine). And yes, I know we pulled the character name ends off the DA characters lately for text formatting purposes, but the point still stands.

As for colors in Iso-8 Brotherhood, I'm going to go with GPY.

Two exact same Thors can fight each other but separate entities Thor and Thoress can't be on same team... totally logical!
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2015
    IceIX wrote:
    Trisul wrote:
    Yay on the character, bleh on the naming. Exact reverse of Captain America (Steve Rogers). Consistency, dammit!
    The naming is a definite sore point, especially with Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel) out there too. The problem is that while fans know that there can be two Ms. Marvels but not two Mjolnir wielders, average players don't. So they understand why they can't choose Thor (Goddess) and Thor (Modern) at the same time. Same name, same character. Same with Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) and Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel). But if we flip it to Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), that mixes up the whole thing even more. Meanwhile, it's fine and already in the game as accepted to have Yelena (DA Black Widow) with Natasha, or Wolverine with Daken (DA Wolverine). And yes, I know we pulled the character name ends off the DA characters lately for text formatting purposes, but the point still stands.

I just like HeroTitle (Version), where Version can be modern/classic, a team name, or the name of the person taking on the title. Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers) and Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) make sense to me as two versions of Ms. Marvel (which they are).

If Miles Morales was a character in the game, I'd want his naming to be Spider-Man (Miles Morales), not Miles Morales (Spider-Man).

Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel) is just awful. Why not Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel) and Carol Danvers (Ms. Marvel) then?
  • IceIX wrote:
    Trisul wrote:

Iso8 Brotherhood...
  • Kamala Khan sounds like she'll be too good to be true. Wait until the devs nerf her after two weeks of her debut . icon_lol.gif Just kidding. Still, it is nice to get to aim for a new hero, at least it will add more colors to people's rosters.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 2,950 Chairperson of the Boards
    Trisul wrote:
    slidecage wrote:
    really?
    Purple only turns 7 gems green at max
    Green tons of damage to the team max
    Yellow everytime someone does a spell if max heals all for 905 health (guess so starting levels sort of suck)

i though yellow sounded the most powerful But now im starting to think
    G
    Y
    P
    purple still seems like the lowest thing
    Are you nuts?

Her yellow is by FAR her weakest ability. Not to say it's bad (it's actually really good), but relatively speaking purple and green severely outclass her yellow as standalone skills, much less in tandem. Adding a total of 8 (read the damn ability description please) green tiles to the board for 8 AP (two-thirds cost of Thunder Strike) is enormous, and being able to place one of those 8 tiles is being massively underrated. Not only that, it fuels one of the most AP-efficient AoEs in the game in her green.

Yeah, I think lots of people are coming out of PvE retirement for her.

I think she joins LThor and Iron Fist at the top tier, though like LThor she ends up slightly weaker in the meta due to X-Force existing.

even though if Yellow is top 150 i would not mind buying HP to max out her yellow (though will wait and see if another color is in the next PVE. I could use a major healer like that
  • SuperSkrull
    SuperSkrull Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    rowie wrote:
    Kamala Khan sounds like she'll be too good to be true. Wait until the devs nerf her after two weeks of her debut . icon_lol.gif Just kidding. Still, it is nice to get to aim for a new hero, at least it will add more colors to people's rosters.

Don't worry good sir, Kamala & Lockjaw have your back on this!
    OH01UYf.jpg
  • IceIX wrote:
    Trisul wrote:

I think this would all be fixed by not locking characters out of PVE
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Having a second 3* Ms. Marvel (who is another person) gives me hopes for a new 3* Spider-Man (Miles Morales).
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anyone else tied of 12 hour sub, new character pve coinciding with the end of PvP season?
  • energythief
    energythief Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    westnyy2 wrote:
    I believe it refers to the old 80's band Chaka Khan

I believe it's the enemy in Star Trek II.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Hendross wrote:
    Finally Squirrel Girl has someone to hang with at the never gonna get used club.

Have you seen her moveset? She's practically already on every Xforce or Daken team.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    westnyy2 wrote:
    I believe it refers to the old 80's band Chaka Khan

Chaka Khan isn't a band name, it's an actual real live woman. The band she was in -- which she left to go solo -- was Rufus.

"For more information about Grand Funk, consult your local library!"
  • Trisul wrote:
    Are you nuts?

Her yellow is by FAR her weakest ability. Not to say it's bad (it's actually really good), but relatively speaking purple and green severely outclass her yellow as standalone skills, much less in tandem. Adding a total of 8 (read the damn ability description please) green tiles to the board for 8 AP (two-thirds cost of Thunder Strike) is enormous, and being able to place one of those 8 tiles is being massively underrated. Not only that, it fuels one of the most AP-efficient AoEs in the game in her green.

Her abilities are well-costed, yes, but her yellow is not by far her weakest ability. It's amazingly broken, and will be the number one reason people hate to fight this character.

Come next Gauntlet, you'll be hitting level 340 Kamala Khan with power-Whales, and it won't be her green ability that makes you do that.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    jackstar0 wrote:
    Good comic. Good character. Glad to see her in MPQ and looks like she's going to be a great team player.

Awesome.

Just don't leave her as the only Inhuman in the game for too long... a 4* Black Bolt would be phenomenal. 3* Medusa would be sweet, too. 3* Karnak... oof... he'd be fun.

Lockjaw imo.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hendross wrote:
    Finally Squirrel Girl has someone to hang with at the never gonna get used club.
    In a world that includes Beast and Doc Ock, it sounds to me like you just don't like cartoon girls...
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd be happy with calling the Carol Danvers characters "Carol Danvers (character name)". Really, anything which avoids "Ms Marvel (Captain Marvel)" is probably going to be ok.

Still pretty happy with the power set.
    Still think that 3/5/5 is my favourite build.
    The art seems to be trying to mirror her books, which is probably a good thing. It's better than Squirrel Girl, so it's got that going for it.
    ISO Brotherhood at least offers a lot of big ISO missions. Hopefully they've done something about the subs.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Definitely a little disappointed this wasn't a GSBW fix. It takes away the terrible red and replaces it with a powerful and utterly-irritating-to-play-Against yellow, making her less useless on defense. It also balances her purple so that it's strong, yet fair (and requires some strategy to use effectively). It also smooths out Sniper Rifle so she's not just a one trick pony. Maybe GSBW's actual rework (if it ever happens) will change red to "6 AP: Transform into Kamala Khan". icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Unknown
    edited March 2015
    rowie wrote:
    Kamala Khan sounds like she'll be too good to be true. Wait until the devs nerf her after two weeks of her debut . icon_lol.gif Just kidding. Still, it is nice to get to aim for a new hero, at least it will add more colors to people's rosters.
    It certainly feels like the better a character is, the harder the PvE event is in order to earn that character.

Iso-8 Brotherhood had 12 hour subs, 17 total, lasting 4.5 days. If you want to place top 10 you probably need to put in at least 6 total clears every 12 hours, at 30 minutes per clear of the double sub for a total of 3 hours of PvE per 12 hours.

Grand total of estimated ~25 hours playtime required for top 10 placement. I think that's the "too good to be true" part of the deal.

For comparison, Dark Avengers Heroic for Ragnarok only required about 15 hours over 5.5 days.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Will withhold judgment until real game play, of course, but this looks like a really great character. Well done!!

And really, really powerful (I've resolved never to use the term OP in this game out of fear of that nameless bad thing happening icon_e_wink.gif )