*** Squirrel Girl (Unbeatable) ***

Comments

• i love how people are complaining about how ugly squirrel girl is.

take a look at the artist who drew her. they look ALMOST THE SAME.

coincidence?

i think not.
  • While I like SG, she could be considered a 'fun' addition, the art for her is ****...

Too bad they destroyed her 'New Avengers' look.

Also, they need to slow down the release of new characters, this is ridiculous!
  • Mau-- wrote:
    Her purple and green abilities seem designed for Bag-man synergy. Lock enemy tiles with Web-slinger then get powered-up Nuts without the downsides. Place her green CD tiles and then improve them with Snarky Remark. (I really hope her green gains AP on the destroyed tiles -- if it does then it's an excellent ability.)

"Synergy with Bag-man" isn't the way to build excitement for a new character.

Speak for yourself, I can't wait to run the hypothetical troll team of Bag&Squirrel
  • Monsoon wrote:
    the art for her is ****...

+1, should have made her a 2 star
  • before she was released, when it was merely hinted that she may be released,
    for saying it would be embarrassing, to see this character in the game,
    I was actually down-voted in reputation points. icon_lol.gif

But in all honesty:
    For those of you that will fight for her (inMPQ).
    For those that will reserve roster space( spideycoin.png ), iso8.png, & fondness trap.png .
    Good luck in this event - I hope to see Squirrel girls on your teams.
    Are the attack-move animations any good?
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    edited January 2015
    icon_devildino.png
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Monsoon wrote:
    While I like SG, she could be considered a 'fun' addition, the art for her is ****...

Too bad they destroyed her 'New Avengers' look.

Also, they need to slow down the release of new characters, this is ridiculous!

In all honesty and griping about d3 and mpq aside which is popular especially right now some of the cover choices they have is a disgrace considering all the amazing cover art and monumental artists that marvel has in its history. We have devil dino as the only kirby cover? Every Xman can only be a Jim Lee? No Romana Jr or sr for spiderman? No miller? No McFarlane. Obscure guys like ditko and sterenko aside fine...but not to nit pick for example there are a million great Dr doom cover....current one is ok but cage bp Steve rogers Ect ect are really terrible. There are some really sweet covers but I don't know who rubber stamps obviously terrible cover art with 50+ years of history to draw from. Even doing the odd key issue would be a treat. Punisher cover is ok but why not use his first appearance? Or the miller esquire dd is nice but why not a real miller? End rant before it really gets going.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    One thing, when I started playing this game, I had actually heard of Squirrel Girl. I can't say the same for The Hood, Ragnarok, or Daken.

(Raises hand) I heard about Ragnarok.

Also, all 3 of them are the part of Dark Reign storyline, so it makes sence they were introduced when MPQ had "Dark Reign" subtitle. SG doesn't have any intro story in MPQ so far.

Remember, R&G look argueablely out of place with other chars presented here, GotG having almost no conection with the Earth part of Marvel universe, but they had their intro story. A guest-star type of story, and Gamora was not in it, so it wasn't perfect. But they had a story nontheless.

And that's my point: if the characters are introduced within a story, I'm okay with never hearing about them before.
  • ballingbees
    ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    so I'm one of those who's never heard of her before, think she debutted after I last collected comics (Jim Lee's X-Men yea).

and after seeing the ingame art, i'm just baffled... I mean, Wolverine.. and her.. umm.. I er.. nvm.
  • In all honesty and griping about d3 and mpq aside which is popular especially right now some of the cover choices they have is a disgrace considering all the amazing cover art and monumental artists that marvel has in its history.
    I think part of the problem is that they're picking covers which work as standalone pinups which really showcase the character in question. That's much more common in modern comics, while older comics lean much more towards story-based covers.
  • I'm really looking forward to getting a Squirrel Girl cover and I'm currently ranked #417 so I'm on track for all three covers icon_e_biggrin.gif

I have 54 slots currently with only two duplicates (OBW 1/2/3 and IW 1/0/0) but will probably relinquish IW for her icon_e_confused.gif

Seriously though I can understand bringing these left of field characters to the game may provide some respite from the all too serious but then why not just buff Bagman and make him better than he currently is?

It will be interesting if D3 provide us with usage statistics for SG after the Oscorp event is finished to see how well the new character is taken up and in the subsequent weeks/months to establish if she's seen as any better than Yelena.
  • MPQ probably has to stick to some Marvel branding rules.

Therefore, MPQ and Marvel Comics should have some interactions.

I doubt Squirrel Girl is a choice from D3.

What a coincidence Marvel releases a brand new comic with SG in it.

Personally, I don't mind. I've been collecting tons of **** characters in the last months, some fun, some less fun. Most can be play in LRs. So I'm happy.

Thanks to MPQ, I've discovered the Comics that I enjoy reading now. Thanks to the reading of the Comics, I could understand where all the names from Alliances and players come from. A very cool interaction.

This Squirrel Girl made me curious, and I assume I'm not the only one.

The deal must be something like this : You promote your game on marvel.com, but you have to release characters linked to Marvel news... That's the amicable way. But it could also be : you are using a Marvel brand, we control the way you use our intellectual property. That's very Disney...

I see nothing wrong with her release. She definitely looks ugly, but sympathetic.

They'll probably release the major and most wanted characters as 4*.

Now, as a side note, this PvE has to be grinded continuously to keep a good rank. That's not so funny...
  • I had heard of SG before, but didn't know much about her. Frankly, it's nice to see a character that's different. If you don't want her, don't get her, it's no big deal.

It may be that she was brought in to advertise her new comic, but so what? We're all playing what's basically Candy Crush because it has pictures we like. Taking it too seriously is missing the point, it's supposed to be fun.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    arktos1971 wrote:
    I posted a link about this a page or two back. The comic artist has been employed in the game industry and proposed it to acquaintances with D3 staff. Her idea, not Marvel's or D3's, initially.

I would think Marvel should have influence in the choices made, and that article has made me interested in how new characters are decided. It's probably way too complicated/restricted for D3 to explain themselves.
  • Square wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:
    I posted a link about this a page or two back. The comic artist has been employed in the game industry and proposed it to acquaintances with D3 staff. Her idea, not Marvel's or D3's, initially.

I would think Marvel should have influence in the choices made, and that article has made me interested in how new characters are decided. It's probably way too complicated/restricted for D3 to explain themselves.

If that's what really happened, it's cool.

Let's see if we get Ultron when the movie is released.

I think there are far too many coincidences.

Luke Cage was introduced in MPQ when a TV Show announced who would impersonate him in the TV Series.

Meanwhile, Gambit has been voted favourite character to be part of MPQ months ago, and he is not a priority ? What was the goal of the Survey if dozens of characters were to be released before him ?
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    arktos1971 wrote:
    Square wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:

If that's what really happened, it's cool.

Let's see if we get Ultron when the movie is released.

I think there are far too many coincidences.

Luke Cage was introduced in MPQ when a TV Show announced who would impersonate him in the TV Series.

Meanwhile, Gambit has been voted favourite character to be part of MPQ months ago, and he is not a priority ? What was the goal of the Survey if dozens of characters were to be released before him ?
    Luke Cage's show is a while away, and I think Iron Fist was been announced first, or possibly together.

Gambit's movie has been announced as well. The 'Marvel snubs Fox movie characters' theorists will say it's proof of something, but Deadpool, Mystique, and Beast are in that group as well, and we have them. And Colossus, who is nowhere near a name-character, but still owned by Fox.

Characters are released every two weeks or so. It's a honestly a little wacky to be a conspiracy theorist when things change that quickly. Two weeks ago, your Luke Cage point would have been moot. And really, D3 has more reason to copy movies than comics, since the audience is so much larger.

Either D3 is trying to placate Marvel comics, or they're trying to placate Disney studios. And those are very different arguments. Luke Cage will make Disney millions (I imagine how TV works, I don't know) and Squirrel Girl will make Disney thousands (less than 100,000 copies, minus printing, distribution, comics shop profits, creation costs...).

I just can't buy into corporate conspiracies when it comes to character selection in video games, on the whole. It seems way more plausible that D3 aims for a balance of geekdom and name recognition.

I think the Internet has changed the way people approach comic releases in the mass media. When I was a kid, 'Thor' and 'Daredevil' appeared in Incredible Hulk movies. It was terrible, and we liked it! We didn't cry fowl that Daredevil was on TV before Wolverine (who the fans truly liked in 1987 or so).

D3 is really in a no win situation. Release character only comics fans love, and get a thread like this, release characters from mass-media and get told they are corporate pawns... The Fantastic Four is a low-selling book, cancelled numerous times, and two of the worst movies of the last decade, and people still cry conspiracy that only half the team and their arch-villain is in the game. CONSPIRACY!

I am not a D3 shareholder, but the more I use this forum, the more sympathy I have for them. What kind of complaint is it that a company that licenses Marvel characters might take feedback from the head company?
  • I had only heard of Squirrel Girl from reading posts on this forum, and I thought she was a joke character like the mythical Irving Forbush, aka Forbushman. With so many popular characters in the Marvel Universe I too am stymied with D3's selection of characters.

I wonder if Squirrel Girl is a response to some of the criticism about the sexualization of the female characters in the game. I recall quite a long discussion about this after Mystique was released, especially regarding the pose she makes in her character portrait. After seeing Squirrel Girl's character art, I don't think anyone can accuse the devs of sexualizing her. To me she looks a bit like Alfred E. Neuman with a bushy tail.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    One thing, when I started playing this game, I had actually heard of Squirrel Girl. I can't say the same for The Hood, Ragnarok, or Daken.

Also, all 3 of them are the part of Dark Reign storyline, so it makes sence they were introduced when MPQ had "Dark Reign" subtitle. SG doesn't have any intro story in MPQ so far.

Remember, R&G look argueablely out of place with other chars presented here, GotG having almost no conection with the Earth part of Marvel universe, but they had their intro story. A guest-star type of story, and Gamora was not in it, so it wasn't perfect. But they had a story nontheless.

And that's my point: if the characters are introduced within a story, I'm okay with never hearing about them before.

My issue wasn't that they shouldn't have introduced those three, it's that Squirrel Girl isn't the most obscure character in the game.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:

My issue wasn't that they shouldn't have introduced those three, it's that Squirrel Girl isn't the most obscure character in the game.

Squirrelgirl and Devil Dinosaur are probably the most obscure characters in the game (barring maybe Bagman, I had to look up what set of comics that specific cover was from, but who doesn't know Spider-Man?). The Hood is probably a close third.

Irony of all irony is that if the GotG movie hadn't been such a fluke boxoffice hit, I'd argue they'd be more obscure than The Hood.

That being said, the only character in MPQ I didn't know before MPQ so far has been Sentry. I had never heard of him before, but he's actually a pretty interesting character. The only other one remotely unknown to me was Luke Cage, but I had heard of him and knew a little about him.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Squirrel Girl's Furry Friends stats in my simulator:
    http://mpqsim.0cdn.net/?commands=SQGirl ... &runs=1000
    (not counting self-destroy by cascades yet)