*** Squirrel Girl (Unbeatable) ***

Comments

• 3uphoria wrote:
    She's trash. Not even gonna delete a random 1* from my empty 10 slots to recruit her. I'd rather use the loaner in PvP which isn't much worse than her fully covered. Here you can find squirrel girl listed as one of the top 10 worst Marvel characters ever http://imgur.com/gallery/zKImv

This list also has Daredevil on it. And did you read the comments? A vast majority slammed the guy who made the list. That being said.....

The comic art is horrible. There are so many better pics for her, but at least the actually character doesn't match the comic art. Ugh.

I read a lot of posts on here where people asked for Squirrel Girl. But if her new comic JUST came out, I would bet money that Marvel "requested" that she be put in the game for advertising purposes. If the comic art wasn't so horrendous, I would be tempted to check it out myself, as I am unfamiliar with the character.

I do like the flavor of her powers. As I understand it, she can overcome any adversary. So her powers get stronger as her opposition grows in strength. Its thinking outside of the box in terms of character creation, so I have to commend D3 for that much.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    We all laughed when we got Devil Dinosaur, but jokes lose all the fun if you repeat them too often.
    I just cannot think of a reasonable reason for this move; is there an incoming Squirrel movie I am unaware of?
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    by 3uphoria » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:43 am

Next 4* is gonna be Uncle Ben with a dope active Purple. If Spiderman is anywhere on the field at the start of battle he creates a 5 turn countdown that kills him if matched. Watch it happen lol
    May I add Ben Grimm's Aunt Petunia to the mash?
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    I am excited to have SG in the game, but had hoped she would either be a 1* or a 5*. icon_e_smile.gif

I would be more excited to have a revamped PvP reward structure or a continuous Gauntlet mode, though.
  • Mawtful wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    [
    Hood's Yellow and SG's Yellow are totally different beasts. Hood's Yellow is a fantastic finisher, making it safer to let the opponent have the next turn. SG's Yellow is going to at best negate the damage of a weak power. If GSBW has 19 Green, what good are those protect tiles going to do for you?

THEORYCRAFTING INITIATED:

Why is Squirrel Girl with 9 Yellow facing off against GSBW w/ 19 Green?

For when demiurge finally rerun No Man's Land.

Ah, I thought it was some magical cheat to make GSBW get 19 green by time other characters had 9 yellow, oh well.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Really?

Of all of the possible additions, I don't know what to say to this.

How about..
    "Nuts!" icon_eek.gif
    or
    "They decided we play this game too much and needed to get some tail." icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Square wrote:
    Marvel certainly is happy to have the character in the game, considering the book has just come out.

If only real comic books releases could influence D3 !
  • Squirrel Girl has beaten Thanos. Therefore ALL of your arguments against her are invalid.

icon_eek.gificon_e_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_redface.gif
  • Deadpooool wrote:
    Squirrel Girl has beaten Thanos. Therefore ALL of your arguments against her are invalid.

So you're saying: "Squirrel Girl is a mary sue, so you must love her." I fail to see a logic in this one.

I'm normally ok with C-list characters. Hey, I became interested in Blue Beetle after watching Batman:TBATB. But! Does the Marver universe promote MPQ or does MPQ promote Marvel universe? Having a character released without any storyline tied to them is not a good promotion. People that doesn't read LC or SG comics would not start to read them just because they are made out-of-contest characters in the game. And if the devs hope comic readers start to play MPQ if their favourite characters are in the game, then there are a lot of most obvious choices. So from what perspective is that a profitable decision?

I can assume Marvel has a final voice on what character lisence to give to D3, but if that's true, that still doesn't change the fact it's a poor decision.
  • spccrain
    spccrain Posts: 249
    They truly missed a good opportunity here by releasing this piece of human(ish) garbage right now. If she had been released April 1st as a joke then I could see it being funny and the community not lashing out about how many untapped characters still exist that are SOOOOO much better than her. The fact that she's been released just shows how out of touch d3 is with the players and it's becoming sad.
  • Deadpooool wrote:
    Squirrel Girl has beaten Thanos. Therefore ALL of your arguments against her are invalid.

Before it vanished(?) she was also labelled in the official Marvel Universe wiki as having max stats in most areas, putting her on an equal footing with the premier cosmic beings.

Clearly should have been a 5* character.
  • spccrain wrote:
    They truly missed a good opportunity here by releasing this piece of human(ish) garbage right now. If she had been released April 1st as a joke then I could see it being funny and the community not lashing out about how many untapped characters still exist that are SOOOOO much better than her. The fact that she's been released just shows how out of touch d3 is with the players and it's becoming sad.
    You ok there buddy?
    It's a match 3 cellphone game. Relax ok?
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    What is strange to me is that they quit having the Marvel.com interviews. The digital comic for Squirrel Girl #1 arrived last week, so clearly this is about promoting Marvel and, you know, synergy.
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    I'm going to have quite a chuckle if she's simply badass when we see what her fully maxed abilities are. That would be the best in-game joke D3 could create; a character so vile in appearance and concept that everyone has to play her because she's to damn good. Now that'd be something!
  • h4n1s
    h4n1s Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    While reading the description of the green power, I can't shake of the feeling that those 3 countdown tiles will not work and will end up like the beast blue ended...

See, having 3 green countdowns which destroys random basic tile each turn (making it 3 random tiles destroyed each turn), increases the odds of unwanted cascade which will remove if not all at least one of the countdown tiles. Plus 3 turn countdowns are giving enough time for the enemy to match them.

We don't know how this power will evolve with more covers, but I assume, the countdown won't reduce, because that would make the power of destroying tiles rather useless.

One way or another, I am afraid that squirrel girl will be covered in dust in majority of our rosters provided she'll be getting a spot in it, because it seems that fights will be often very slow with her on board.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Square wrote:
    Marvel certainly is happy to have the character in the game, considering the book has just come out. If you read comic book websites, it's pretty much being wholeheartedly praised.
    For example, http://comicsalliance.com/squirrel-girl-1-review/ or http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... ew&id=8148 (those are the top two comics sites I read, but I read others too)

I read the first issue, and it was alright, but I'm not usually into comedy super-hero books. The art's fine with me. It's cartooning, not super-hero work. Putting Mike Deodato Jr on Squirrel Girl really wouldn't work. The guy writing it, Ryan North, is famous for Adventure Time comics, so you can imagine where his tastes lie. As someone who likes a variety of comics, I think it was well done.

I think it's a good addition, it's fun instead of badass, and I bet a lot of people who play casually will really like it (meaning, people who would never register for a forum like this)... which is the problem I have with her being star.pngstar.pngstar.png . This is a character that will be more attractive to casual players, and potential new players (like all the people crazy about the new comic), but they won't be able to get her. It would have been better to make her an achievable star.pngstar.png instead.
    I think we have a winner. It's seeming more and more like Marvel either sets or has a hand in choosing what characters are released next, and the synergy here is a bit strong to deny. So depending on how long they're willing to wait, Dr. Strange (and even sooner - likely Ant Man) will be on their way.

Second: all y'all haters can suck it! icon_e_smile.gif Squirrel Girl is awesome, I really like the character. While I don't particularly care for her "John K."-inspired art (how old do you have to be to get that reference?), I'm very thankful she's not in yet another sexist spinebreaker pose like poor Mystique. Scoliosis was not kind to her.

It is sad that her powers seem to suck, though. I was hoping she'd get something awesome that worked on big, huge guys - and the >80% health thing seems like they were trying to do that - but they have not.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    dat feel when enemy OBW will make her CD tiles last longer icon_e_smile.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    So basically she's an odd version of Sentry.
  • Honu141
    Honu141 Posts: 84
    Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones debuts on Netflix later this year. I would bet she's in there, even if it's just the nanny version of the character. The casual gamer (which is certainly the larger player base) will identify with characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe a whole lot easier than those found in the comic books.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    turul wrote:
    dat feel when enemy OBW will make her CD tiles last longer icon_e_smile.gif
    I think it's our first CD-skill that benefits from both friendly Intimidation and enemy Anti-Gravity Device, no? Most CD skills that exist can only benefit from either, usually friendly Intimidation. Only 3 skills that I can remember of benefit from enemy AGD: Shapeshift, Immovable Object and Jab, Jab, Cross.

Truly amused at how many entitled fanboys (I can't help but assume all those are nothing but fanboys) are angry at not getting their/fan-favourite characters ahead of Squirrel Girl. Heh, I was never interested in her much but I'm starting to like her based on how much the character can stir a community. Aren't you too angry over shield cooldowns to waste your rage on this? icon_razz.gif

I applaud the devs for introducing a fresh, entertaining female character into the game, which is also noteworthily not a highly attractive female. I will turn on my speakers and headphones to listen to how she plays icon_e_smile.gif Her colours are nice, hope she's good (for given value of good, 4or/XF exist, yadda yadda), even though the yellow skill looks unassuming, maybe it's growing to be very interesting at higher levels.