Enemy of the State - Dec 23 - 29

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can anyone else not join the event?
    I'm trying to click into time slice one, it refreshes the game and then...asks me which time slice I want again. I daren't do another one because it doesn't fit with my time schedule.

Close the game, restart it, should be fine. Happened to me on Steam as well.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Really nice to see a new story and new nodes with several waves bring welcomed novelty
    With scaling these waves may become unbearable though. For the moment I enjoy icon_e_smile.gif

One complaint however:
    SUPERTOM wrote:
    Just when we thought DD was fun to play, they introduce the Hand and their red CD tiles now overwrite his trap tiles. And considering within 5 turns you'll have about 6 red CD tiles on your board it makes DDs red completely useless. Way to go devs. Way to tinykitty go. icon_mad.gif
    ^This. After waiting so long to see finally an improvement of Daredevil, he is humiliated by all these red ninjas. It's disappointing to say the less. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Call me crazy but why do we need so many week long PVEs?

Week long PVEs are nuts. I really wish we had WEEK(5day-ish) PVEs and WEEKEND PVEs. My job(WHY DO YOU HAVE A JOB, CASUAL?) makes it so that in weeklong events I suffer horribly because you need to play at least every 12 hours.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    saurus wrote:
    With week long PVEs, you need to play constantly all the time for any rewards,

I played Prodigal Sun I think for a total of 6 hours. 2 when I joined to clear the nodes at the end of those subs, 30min for 2 half-assed passes during the day, 3 hours to clear everything 4ish times at the end. Finished in 46-47th place. Elektra and the privilege of spending 650HP to slot her in for my troubles.

The only reason to grind like hell is for multi-cover placement. Even with the massive delays in bracketing, you can half-**** your way to one cover easily.
    You must have had a much better bracket than me. I played somewhat similarly due to time constraints this week (and residual burnout from grinding for top 5 on 4* Thor's release PvE) and didn't even break top 100.
  • Pros of this event:
    Some nodes have a single good reward (1000iso, token, etc). No more banging your head against a wall for 20iso. (I can't believe that's still a thing after this long).
    Survival nodes are a challenge. Challenge = fun.

Cons:
    Newly buffed DD trap.png is now worthless against "Strength in Numbers" Bravo devs.
    I was really hoping the new survival stuff would have simply been progression based ala the Gauntlet. Beat a few waves, hit a plateau, rest, and keep climbing. Now grinding just takes 3x longer if you want to clear all the nodes. So everyone have fun with that.
    Hand Ninjas throw out nonstop cheap and unavoidable damage. Accurate to the comics but a pain in the **** to play when you're waiting for 6 CD and trap tiles to go off simultaneously. Watching AI until my phone falls asleep = not fun (as if we didn't learn anything from the Rags/Venom combo of yesteryear).

I'm officially retiring from competitive PVE.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    saurus wrote:
    With week long PVEs, you need to play constantly all the time for any rewards,

I played Prodigal Sun I think for a total of 6 hours. 2 when I joined to clear the nodes at the end of those subs, 30min for 2 half-assed passes during the day, 3 hours to clear everything 4ish times at the end. Finished in 46-47th place. Elektra and the privilege of spending 650HP to slot her in for my troubles.

The only reason to grind like hell is for multi-cover placement. Even with the massive delays in bracketing, you can half-**** your way to one cover easily.
    You must have had a much better bracket than me. I played somewhat similarly due to time constraints this week (and residual burnout from grinding for top 5 on 4* Thor's release PvE) and didn't even break top 100.

I ended up in the slice 4 bracket the forumites were stalking waiting to open. When I joined, I was 40k behind the leaders because I had the nerve to sleep instead of start grinding at midnightish. It did only end up with 166 players, so that certainly helped.

I've been joining really late in most of the recent PvEs with similar success. I did join this event this morning, but I care zero about the rewards. Was just curious what the waves were like. If I get time I'll hit subs hard after Christmas.
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    So once you beat a survival mode node you get all the rewards and you're grinding the rest of the time for points and 20 Iso
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    SUPERTOM wrote:
    Pros of this event:
    Some nodes have a single good reward (1000iso, token, etc). No more banging your head against a wall for 20iso. (I can't believe that's still a thing after this long).
    Survival nodes are a challenge. Challenge = fun.

Cons:
    Newly buffed DD trap.png is now worthless against "Strength in Numbers" Bravo devs.
    I was really hoping the new survival stuff would have simply been progression based ala the Gauntlet. Beat a few waves, hit a plateau, rest, and keep climbing. Now grinding just takes 3x longer if you want to clear all the nodes. So everyone have fun with that.
    Hand Ninjas throw out nonstop cheap and unavoidable damage. Accurate to the comics but a pain in the **** to play when you're waiting for 6 CD and trap tiles to go off simultaneously. Watching AI until my phone falls asleep = not fun (as if we didn't learn anything from the Rags/Venom combo of yesteryear).

I'm officially retiring from competitive PVE.
    your pro is also a con. those single reward nodes are repeatable which means you will be grinding them over and over and over for 20 iso8.png
  • Unknown
    Unknown ADMINISTRATORS
    I love this event! It is so fun!

My only complaint is this: Caltrops cannot hurt three people simultaneously.

A flamethrower can hit three people. A rocket can hit three people. An earthquake can hit three people. However, A caltrop is a basically a piece of foot-piercing shrapnel thrown onto the ground. One person may step on a caltrop and suffer an injury, but in no way can this trigger injury in others. When Caltrops goes off, it should only be hitting one character.

Unless it's meant to be a shrapnel bomb, in which case, why would it need to be caltrops at all? Caltrops are for stepping on.

Glad you're enjoying the event! If it helps you come to terms with the ability, I like to think that each Caltrop trap is actually a group of ~30 Caltrops. We just didn't have enough tiles on the board to do a 1 for 1 Caltrop.

It won't hurt any less, but hopefully it'll make more sense icon_e_wink.gif
  • I don't wanna sound like I'm complaining (even though I kinda am) but these PVEs have a flaw to them:

1) Rewarding a 4* character to top 50 (I really like the concept cause 4* are the highest right now in the game so make it tough to receive them). But going and making that 4* character an essential to the next PVE is ridiculous... Anyone who finished from 11-50 have a single covered Elektra... if they don't have the HP then they got rid of someone semi-useful to place a single covered 4* in their roster...

2) Let's say you finished 51-150, you got yourself a revamped Daredevil (which I did by finished 101st). Logically, since I have a nice 2* roster and transitioning to 3*, I removed characters from my roster to make way to DD, cause I figured he'd DEFINITELY be an essential for the new event!

3) As a transitioning player, I would LOVE to get patches... but being able to grind out 3 of a possible 8 nodes during events have made it impossible for me... I didn't get Elektra cause I didn't finish in top 50 and I had sold storm because I needed to make room for OTHER ESSENTIAL CHARACTERS that D3 has been tossing our way...

It's getting really frustrating clearing out my roster and placing new one covered characters for essentials and then never seeing them again... A transitioning player has a strong 2* roster and a bunch of 3* with 1-4 covers on them... It's really not allowing us to go anywhere and It definitely needs to get fixed...
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards

A flamethrower can hit three people. A rocket can hit three people. An earthquake can hit three people. However, A caltrop is a basically a piece of foot-piercing shrapnel thrown onto the ground. One person may step on a caltrop and suffer an injury, but in no way can this trigger injury in others. When Caltrops goes off, it should only be hitting one character.

Unless it's meant to be a shrapnel bomb, in which case, why would it need to be caltrops at all? Caltrops are for stepping on.

Glad you're enjoying the event! If it helps you come to terms with the ability, I like to think that each Caltrop trap is actually a group of ~30 Caltrops. We just didn't have enough tiles on the board to do a 1 for 1 Caltrop.

Miles since you are on a quick question. On survival mode why did the team decide to make us use health packs after the match. Survival mode means all your people will die. It is the nature of mode yet we as players will now be required to use 3 health packs if we want to use those characters again. Wouldn't it be better to let us play survival mode and have those characters back to the health they started with after the match? I would imagine codeine on this would be tough, but it would make survival mode have better replay value
  • Can someone post a time of when the first subs are ending?
  • Unknown
    Unknown ADMINISTRATORS
    wymtime wrote:
    Miles since you are on a quick question. On survival mode why did the team decide to make us use health packs after the match. Survival mode means all your people will die. It is the nature of mode yet we as players will now be required to use 3 health packs if we want to use those characters again. Wouldn't it be better to let us play survival mode and have those characters back to the health they started with after the match? I would imagine codeine on this would be tough, but it would make survival mode have better replay value

Ok, Just the one question, haha.

Survival mode is meant to force you to mix up your gameplay strategy. Relying on your old PVE tactics won't necessarily be your best option here. I agree that Survival mode can be punishing, but what fun is a challenge if there isn't something on the line? If you're having trouble conserving health, why not try adding a defensive character to your team? I've had great luck with 3* Captain America in my test runs of this event.

The kind of survival mode you're describing (where you fight until you can't fight any more, then try again) is probably something we can do, but is different from the kind of challenge we were going for in this PVE event. Maybe we'll see something like that in a future event!
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards

While on the subject of Survival, care to explain how MODE means NODE?
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2014
    Survival mode is meant to force you to mix up your gameplay strategy. Relying on your old PVE tactics won't necessarily be your best option here. I agree that Survival mode can be punishing, but what fun is a challenge if there isn't something on the line? If you're having trouble conserving health, why not try adding a defensive character to your team? I've had great luck with 3* Captain America in my test runs of this event.

Yes, this has really changed thinking for "best team".

Daredevil, Captain America, Daken, Blade, Falcon, Human Torch, Rocket&Groot, Hulk, and Invisible Woman are all quite good at sustained fights.

For IW in particular, her costs are too high for a single combat. But with waves, her AP collection can really make a difference. All her skills work well with waves of opponents.

EDIT -- The best Survival Mode team is Invisible Woman, Human Torch, Falcon. They have complete board mastery by the second wave, and you'll usually have 2000++ points of protect tiles out, and maybe 1 or 2 invisible team members. Invisible Woman, Human Torch, Bag-man isn't bad either at taking down wave after wave of enemies, and they have matching costumes.

EDIT 2 -- As a proof of concept, I defeated the 4-wave node with Level 170 Invisible Woman, Level 55 Johnny Storm, and Level 15 Bagman. Bagman's switcheroo pulled in any colors I particularly needed or helped to destroy enemy tiles, while Force Bubbles and Force Field Crush did most of the damage, AP collection, enemy tile destruction, and board shake up. Johnny Storm cast a lot of fireballs.
  • I'm still in 2* land but so far, I'm running MMags/MHawkeye/Mohawk and it is working like a charm. Setting up a match-5 with MMags for Hawkeye to clear with speed shot is a thing of beauty. I took out most of the Mohawk essential (1 wave of 7) with one speed shot which meant the AI had less time to store up red for Wolverine. The team is also a bit on the squishy side but I don't like to play for more than 30 mins or so at a time anyhow, so it doesn't bother me.

So far, I like the survival node idea but my enemies are still in the 50s range. We'll see how it goes once they start ramping up and Wolverine one-shots me as soon as he comes out.
  • Koko81 wrote:
    I don't wanna sound like I'm complaining (even though I kinda am) but these PVEs have a flaw to them:

1) Rewarding a 4* character to top 50 (I really like the concept cause 4* are the highest right now in the game so make it tough to receive them). But going and making that 4* character an essential to the next PVE is ridiculous... Anyone who finished from 11-50 have a single covered Elektra... if they don't have the HP then they got rid of someone semi-useful to place a single covered 4* in their roster...

2) Let's say you finished 51-150, you got yourself a revamped Daredevil (which I did by finished 101st). Logically, since I have a nice 2* roster and transitioning to 3*, I removed characters from my roster to make way to DD, cause I figured he'd DEFINITELY be an essential for the new event!

3) As a transitioning player, I would LOVE to get patches... but being able to grind out 3 of a possible 8 nodes during events have made it impossible for me... I didn't get Elektra cause I didn't finish in top 50 and I had sold storm because I needed to make room for OTHER ESSENTIAL CHARACTERS that D3 has been tossing our way...

It's getting really frustrating clearing out my roster and placing new one covered characters for essentials and then never seeing them again... A transitioning player has a strong 2* roster and a bunch of 3* with 1-4 covers on them... It's really not allowing us to go anywhere and It definitely needs to get fixed...

Whoah, too much logic in this post. It is obvious the game developers simply do not care about this glaringly obvious problem.

Devs, do you think this is only a problem for non-whales? It's not. Whales make decisions based on principal as well.

And lol at just throwing 3* Cap, Colo, Falcon, etc. How are we supposed to be getting these covers!? Sure as hell not from token drops....or PVP...or PVE now that even noobs are playing for 4*/useless 3*.
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Switchman wrote:
    Koko81 wrote:
    I don't wanna sound like I'm complaining (even though I kinda am) but these PVEs have a flaw to them:

Whoah, too much logic in this post. It is obvious the game developers simply do not care about this glaringly obvious problem.

Devs, do you think this is only a problem for non-whales? It's not. Whales make decisions based on principal as well.

And lol at just throwing 3* Cap, Colo, Falcon, etc. How are we supposed to be getting these covers!? Sure as hell not from token drops....or PVP...or PVE now that even noobs are playing for 4*/useless 3*.

The devs care only to the extent of generating revenue.

I'm firmly in 2* land working into the 2*->3* transition but focusing primarily on PvE. I only temporarily solved my roster size issue by spending real life money for HP for roster slots and joining a good alliance which contributed to my HP pool and 3* covers. The flood of new characters for PvE along with them being essential has rapidly depleted my HP pool and I've sold off a few useful characters to make room.

With that said I'm glad to have new PvE content instead of yet another rerun. The survival mode they've been touting sounds different than how I thought it would be based on the postings here.
  • Spider_Jerusalem
    Spider_Jerusalem Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    In comparison to this PVE, spending time with my family for the next three days of holiday madness doesn't seem so awful now.

My mother thanks you D3. She will have my full attention when she condescendingly discusses every minor detail in my life because I'd much rather deal with her than four waves of whatever the **** a Caltrop is.
  • I didn't really have any trouble with any of the nodes - Used (boosted when necessary) 2*Storm(3*Storm)/2*Hawk/2*Mag. I think this mode could be interesting in that we could have to use different characters to succeed.

But on the flip side I just bulldozed it with the standard PVE team, which I'm sure many will do. Also, with the enemy AP stacking, I could see facing certain cahracters(Iron Man, Jugg) late in the fight ridiculously annoying.

ADVICE: Stock AP, use sustainable characters/combos, use AOE, don't use one-shot(Adamantium Slash, Etc.) things. 3*Steve loves this event.

Side note: isn't it sad Caltrops is better than Daredevil's traps? Real developer troll there...

Question: If you K.O. with match damage, is the 'new character' on their side fully functional? That could also be something to avoid - don't KO with match damage to prevent Wolverine from krutacking you.