Enemy of the State - Dec 23 - 29

Comments

• I like the survival nodes. They're fun. They make long term strategies like hood cap or spider+falcon actually good, which is rare in this game
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    ark123 wrote:
    I like the survival nodes. They're fun. They make long term strategies like hood cap or spider+falcon actually good, which is rare in this game
    With Cap you can actually collect 19 yellowtile.png BEFORE the end of a match! And feel good about using since you aren't wasting it on a lone enemy
  • fmftint wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    I like the survival nodes. They're fun. They make long term strategies like hood cap or spider+falcon actually good, which is rare in this game
    With Cap you can actually collect 19 yellowtile.png BEFORE the end of a match! And feel good about using since you aren't wasting it on a lone enemy
    Yeah it's actually a pretty great skill when you can actually fire it off.

Also they actually give you a solid reward, which is unprecedented in repeatable nodes. I really like them.
  • Mostorm has been either dead or close to it after each time in her 1 (!) required node. So squishy...

On another note, the survival nodes are interesting. My good pve team (lcap/IM40/falcon) do pretty well in this style. Once cap gets going, it feels like I'm shooting skeet with cap's frisbees. Its really training me to make sure I don't drop a recharge when I have 2 frisbees 2 turns from return. I was surprised when wolverine popped out too. "Oh, that's a thing eh?..." The surprise wasn't as nasty as some have had tho, as every instance except once I was able to down him with frisbee throws right when he came out. The one time I didn't... Adamantium slash. Nasty bastid... icon_e_smile.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime wrote:
    Survival mode is meant to force you to mix up your gameplay strategy.
    Wouldn't we stand a better chance of devising a strategy if we actually knew who the opponents would be?
  • I think one of the survival node had a heroic token for reward? It's the right idea but I thought it should be a persistent mode not just some random nodes that may or may not appear in a PvE event.

You can set up some pretty interesting death traps for the later waves.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    Call me crazy but why do we need so many week long PVEs?

Week long PVEs are nuts. I really wish we had WEEK(5day-ish) PVEs and WEEKEND PVEs. My job(WHY DO YOU HAVE A JOB, CASUAL?) makes it so that in weeklong events I suffer horribly because you need to play at least every 12 hours.

Agree. How can devs expect anyone to actually pay them if they make their game only possible to do if you can grind 7 days a week every three hours? Either different PVE days (not seven days) or different refresh times (four hours or eight hours) and those with jobs could do everything needed here: work, play, and pay!
  • Also, how come I only get 20 Iso for completing a 'survival node'. Shouldn't I get like 100 *COUGH* thousand *COUGH* Iso each time?
  • It seems like they accounted for survival nodes taking longer with less nodes overall. There are only 7 nodes total in this event, for example, and honestly the survival nodes aren't really that much harder if you have a good PvE team. Usually by the time I'm ready for some quad shield juggling action with Captain America the enemy team already ran out of HPs so it'd be quite welcome to have 3 or 30 more victims line up for a bit more points at very little risk.

I also like what they did with the Turn to Smoke/Caltrops as those focus on durability/protection instead of just raw power. Falcon was taking quite a beating from both of these abilities even fighting generally trivial enemies so the same would apply to The Hood too. That doesn't mean they're useless in survival mode but you got to be either have protection, some kind of heal, or just accept that The Hood isn't going to last very long in survival mode.
  • Survival nodes are fun thanks for something different. I also love that they allow one of my fave characters Colossus to be a beast. Paired with obw and falcon I take very minimal damage. Fastball + flock of seagulls = ninjaproof team
  • AaronTheLuigi
    AaronTheLuigi Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    I love the survival concept...but for Galactus' sake I'm having to use three health packs after each match, if nothing else just because of the attack tiles and caltrops that litter the board.
    I just got wiped on the first node using my best characters. (A node that hadn't given me much problems to begin with.) Time to wait three hours before the health packs are ready again.
  • caltrops and smoke bombs everywhere!

i'm actually quite liking new goons and survival mode quite a bit. i never thought i'd say this, but blade/falcon/doc ock was quite handy in a few nodes.
  • jzahm wrote:
    caltrops and smoke bombs everywhere!

i'm actually quite liking new goons and survival mode quite a bit. i never thought i'd say this, but blade/falcon/doc ock was quite handy in a few nodes.

This should basically be called "Falcon Mode". Let him crowd the board, inspire your team and Redwing the enemy! Daken has been tanking Adamantium Slash(es) for me.
  • Getting defense tiles out quickly, especially with falcon, is a nicely effective strategy. You can definitely sandbag a little, taking out odd countdowns on the last guy each wave , and with 2 of 3 turns of stun, knock back some of the attack tile. I'm with phantom on this; its nice to have something to knock down once the lcap train leaves the station. The worst I've done so far was him losing half health on a board before he got going.

What happens when you lose a survival node? Still get points? Timer counting down or not?
  • AaronTheLuigi
    AaronTheLuigi Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    Getting defense tiles out quickly, especially with falcon, is a nicely effective strategy. You can definitely sandbag a little, taking out odd countdowns on the last guy each wave , and with 2 of 3 turns of stun, knock back some of the attack tile. I'm with phantom on this; its nice to have something to knock down once the lcap train leaves the station. The worst I've done so far was him losing half health on a board before he got going.

What happens when you lose a survival node? Still get points? Timer counting down or not?

As far as I can tell, you keep the rewards/points you earn for the waves you beat, but the node loses part of it's full worth for three hours regardless of how you finish. (I don't know if losing the first wave leaves the points unaffected.)
  • The Hand minions has specials that really plays well with Anger and similar type abilities since they hit for modest damage and often multiple times.
  • I wasn't planning to do much in this event after just busting my **** so much in the last 7 day one and not needing any more of Patch, but I've been doing a little extra just on those survival nodes because oh my god finally something different than the same old boring nodes over and over again.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really hate caltrops. I hate smoke bombs nearly as much.

But, as Wolveroach with his 2*, I really, really love timing speed shot so it takes out Wolverine as he appears.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Is that a Wu-Tang reference I spy in there?
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Hulk is great to use in survival nodes; Strength In Numbers triggers Anger, often Caltrops do too, so you can build up lots of green and then go for a board shake with Thunderous Clap to get rid of other specials. It's just a pity that he doesn't fit well with 3* Cap as you'll have a chance of accidentally getting rid of his countdown or protect tiles. Could always sub in Mohawk Storm for board-shake if necessary, or just bring along a better Green user (like Thor) if you have one. Obviously Daken will love all those green matches too, but I think (don't quote me) that the Hand goons can overwrite strike tiles...