Character rankings 12/2013 edition: the results!

Comments

• Sorry I missed posting yesterday's installment -- too busy trying to keep up with No Holds Barred retaliations, I guess.

New installment is up! Two more to go, which should appear tomorrow and Wednesday, and then later this week I will do a wrap-up with some final thoughts.

Nice, I didn't look at the rankings that were posted by the other voters so we're in the 'where will they fall' spots now for me, until we get to top 3 of course!
  • Spoit wrote:
    I'm surprised people rated modern hawk that high.

Think I'm amongst those who rated modern hawk really highly. I do enjoy his playstyle - leave him enough AP and throw something thick in front to eat damage, modern hawk is a pain in the ****.

The AI doesn't use him that well but i've seen 2 red and 2 blue on my own board before and damn that is hell painful. Long stuns and good AoE damage is good stuff, esp with the recent 'The Hunt' event. I've used him in PvP as well (and i don't mean top shot) and it works pretty well too, provided something else soaks damage happily (wolvie,spidey,daken? I used wolv myself.)
  • hello (as it's my first post here. been active only on Steam forums so far...)

Really nice write-up - I learned a lot of things. There are some things I can't agree with (Magneto Marvel NOW! being sooo underrated imho), but in overall - good job! I also like Your writing style.

Now I really can't wait to see why IM40 and Hulk are in the top8. I don't find them all that useful - Hulk has only Anger and huge hp really, but it still shouldn't put him in top8, while IM40? I guess only as a red AP provider... Like I said - I can't wait to see how people actually use those two.

Keep up the good work!
  • If you had read the thread more closely, you'd know that hulk wasn't included in this poll.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    soloL27 wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    I'm surprised people rated modern hawk that high.

Think I'm amongst those who rated modern hawk really highly. I do enjoy his playstyle - leave him enough AP and throw something thick in front to eat damage, modern hawk is a pain in the ****.

The AI doesn't use him that well but i've seen 2 red and 2 blue on my own board before and damn that is hell painful. Long stuns and good AoE damage is good stuff, esp with the recent 'The Hunt' event. I've used him in PvP as well (and i don't mean top shot) and it works pretty well too, provided something else soaks damage happily (wolvie,spidey,daken? I used wolv myself.)
    Must be a playstyle thing. I can only keep his cooldown tiles in play like, half the time
  • I'm supprised that IM40 is in the top 8
  • bongo king wrote:
    I'm supprised that IM40 is in the top 8

As Dugan said, people overrated him. When boosted (such as in this tournament) he's really quite good.

Otherwise he's just a health bag with a battery attached... and honestly I don't find the battery all that good.

If you manage to get enough blue then that's actually a very nice power... but the issue is getting that much blue. I tend to use it for Spidey instead.
  • bongo king wrote:
    I'm supprised that IM40 is in the top 8
    Might as well call it a popularity contest.
  • I imagine his yellow would be good with spidey and rag.
  • Mischief
    Mischief Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Just wanted to thank everyone for this. Very helpful as a newbie.
  • #4-8 are up. One more to go!
  • Wow Grey widow 6th behind thor and wolv? Awful. Shame on you, voters =[
  • No prizes for guessing the top three here. Two are major pains in the ****, but I have never seen a Classic Magneto in the wild, outside of Lightning Rounds.
  • DumDumDugn wrote:
    Wow Grey widow 6th behind thor and wolv? Awful. Shame on you, voters =[

What is the premise of the ratings? Overall? PvP if nobody was boosted? PvP only but taking into consideration boosts and how often those boosted events occur? It makes a large difference. She certainly isn't top 5 material if its "all things considered" because she really needs a battery to help her, she has low hp, she isn't usually boosted, she works best with rag and nobody likes that guy, she is a joke on defense, and her synergy overall isn't great because everything she does rolls into her green which means she is pigeonholed into certain team configurations based around her.

Compared with the versatility of wolv/thor, how easy they are to obtain, how often they are boosted, ISO cost to reach "good," damage output, etc.. its really no question who is higher.
  • No prizes for guessing the top three here. Two are major pains in the ****, but I have never seen a Classic Magneto in the wild, outside of Lightning Rounds.

He's pretty much **** on defense, but on offense nobody touches him. Only BWGS comes close, but she has the same issue with the AI. Between the two the edge goes to Mags -- at least the AI can use his purple effectively.

The one downside on offense is that he'll take red matches away from Rags once he's 115+ (at 115 it depends on where he is in the lineup), and he's no tank. Which is why I want to level up my Hulk.
  • DumDumDugn wrote:

What is the premise of the ratings? Overall? PvP if nobody was boosted? PvP only but taking into consideration boosts and how often those boosted events occur? It makes a large difference. She certainly isn't top 5 material if its "all things considered" because she really needs a battery to help her, she has low hp, she isn't usually boosted, she works best with rag and nobody likes that guy, she is a joke on defense, and her synergy overall isn't great because everything she does rolls into her green which means she is pigeonholed into certain team configurations based around her.

Compared with the versatility of wolv/thor, how easy they are to obtain, how often they are boosted, ISO cost to reach "good," damage output, etc.. its really no question who is higher.

I'm talking end game meta, she is the 2nd most important character in the game as far as being able to shoot up the leaderboards.
  • DumDumDugn wrote:
    DumDumDugn wrote:

I'm talking end game meta, she is the 2nd most important character in the game as far as being able to shoot up the leaderboards.

She is useful, sure, but Wolvie drops teams nearly (not as, but not way slower) as fast paired with rags, and cab at least contribute to defense. Widows AI is awful on defense and I love fighting her. I HATE if i get feral clawed a few times.
    Punisher with 21 black also does 3k damage to the enemy team, but isn't fed by rags.
  • _fulu_ wrote:
    DumDumDugn wrote:
    DumDumDugn wrote:

She is useful, sure, but Wolvie drops teams nearly (not as, but not way slower) as fast paired with rags, and cab at least contribute to defense. Widows AI is awful on defense and I love fighting her. I HATE if i get feral clawed a few times.
    Punisher with 21 black also does 3k damage to the enemy team, but isn't fed by rags.

Honestly I don't know how fast Rag/Wolv is since my Wolv is only level 30 icon_e_biggrin.gif

Can rag/Wolv kill a full hp team with 6 red and nothing else?
  • The 6 red and the 3 green you get for all ap boost, yeah. Sometimes you have to match a couple red or green, but the games almost never take more than a minute, depending on cascades. Widow is probably a little faster depending on the matches you get from thunderclaps. My point is both are good, and I value Wolvie just a little bit more personally.
  • _fulu_ wrote:
    The 6 red and the 3 green you get for all ap boost, yeah. Sometimes you have to match a couple red or green, but the games almost never take more than a minute, depending on cascades. Widow is probably a little faster depending on the matches you get from thunderclaps. My point is both are good, and I value Wolvie just a little bit more personally.

Oh so you need to use +3 all +3 r/y.

I just go in with +3 r/y and make 1 red match and start the fun with rags/widow.