Character rankings 10/14 edition: the results!

167891012»

Comments

• Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    ecir2002 wrote:
    I was thinking earlier about the character ranking and how the current ones that we do only apply to PVP. What if we did one for PVE? I know how long these take, but I don't think we need one as often as the PVP versions since they don't change as often.

I'm 100% sure that this is not true.

Read what has been said about Captain America. He scores as high as he does based purely off his PvE performance. The thing is that anyone who is good for PvP is often very good for PvE as well. It's not true in the reverse though as Cap illustrates.
  • So who is top 5 now? Xforce, thor, thor, fury, daken?
  • These ratings are a Joke
    12. Magneto (classic)
    13 Human Torch
    14. Deadpool

Both are top 10. I could sneak Mags in over Fury honestly for his synergy with Xforce Climbing.

Push out the likes of Cap and Patch. Sentry will top out of top 10 too now. How is Patch ranked 7th? Hes garbage without old mags. Hes not even top 15.

Hood and Mags should still be top 6

Deapool is right behind them. Torch is like 10th....
  • Keep in mind that the rankings were done pretty close to Mags nerf, so people over-reacted, used to the old CMags; he's definitely underrated here because people didn't understand how to use him, or how useful Storm's old MOTE was.
    Loki's probably going to go up at least 6 ranks with a 3rd power, but will still be underrated because most people don't know how to use illusions properly.
  • So, it's 12/14.

3 months after the last ranking votes.

What are we doing this time?

If I were to revise my new top 10 it would be:

1. Xforce
    2. 4hor
    3. Lazy Thor
    4. Daken
    5. Hood
    6. Magneto
    7. Nick Fury
    8. Black Panther
    9. Deadpool
    10. Hulk

Captain America drops out because he's mostly PVE. Only decent in PVP.
    Patch drops out because you can't play him and Xforce at the same time. And let's be honest...What are you doing with Patch when you could have Xforce?
    Sentry drops out for obvious reasons. He's complete **** now.

4hor obviously needs to be added. And she's incredible. Only Xforce is stronger, for obvious reasons. And it's close. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. It just so happens that board shake, AP drain and true healing are more valuable than heavy team damage, charged tiles and stuns.

Magneto is added because he goes with Xforce incredibly well. Having a strong red and blue active go a long way with Xforce's black.

Deadpool because he has one of the few strong purple actives in the 3 star range, his red is heavy damage for cheap and his black forces you to focus him rather than Xforce or 4hor, who is who you really want to kill, essentially giving them 6800 more health.

Last few out:
    Blade. He is as potent as Daken in creating tiles and he has an active purple that can really hurt. An active black would push him into the top 10 if only Xforce didn't exist.
    Captain America. He is still stronger than most 3 stars.
    Patch. He still has incredible sustain for early tournament climbing.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    onimus wrote:
    Patch drops out because you can't play him and Xforce at the same time. And let's be honest...What are you doing with Patch when you could have Xforce?
    Then why do you have both 4* and 3* Thor at #2 and #3 respectively? icon_e_wink.gif

Patch still has his place, and I'm not just saying that because I'll get kicked out of my alliance if I say otherwise. Hulk, Patch and Psylocke can destroy any PVE node as long as you don't mind pissed Hulk off quite a bit.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, Patch now has viable pairings with both Loki and Daredevil. I need to play with them more, but I might be using Patch more than I did before now.
  • vudu3 wrote:
    onimus wrote:
    Then why do you have both 4* and 3* Thor at #2 and #3 respectively? icon_e_wink.gif

Patch still has his place, and I'm not just saying that because I'll get kicked out of my alliance if I say otherwise. Hulk, Patch and Psylocke can destroy any PVE node as long as you don't mind pissed Hulk off quite a bit.
    Merely because only whales have 4hor leveled icon_e_wink.gif

Once people get 4hor covered, there will be little reason to get Lazy Thor as well.

These rankings all depend on how you consider their value. Are we looking at the best characters possible, available or reasonably?

For example, if you gave people the option between Xforce and Patch, exactly 0% would (or should) choose Patch.

On the other hand, are we ranking them for the typical player? In which case, Patch and 3 star thor would be ranked a little higher, as they are easier to get than their 4 star counterparts.

The reason I applied the former logic to Wolverine but the latter logic to Thor was because 4hor is still so new, it is not reasonable to assume anyone except money spenders to have her even remotely covered. However, Xforce has been around for so long, even casual players own fully covered versions of him. I, for example, never bought a single cover for him, but I still ended up with a 5/5/3 Xforce.

As 4hor becomes more available, possibly in the rankings after these next ones, Lazy Thor may become phased out completely, as Patch has, in upper level play.

But for now, Lazy Thor is still everywhere in the upper tier of play.
  • Patch/Daken is still the most viable pairing for PVP climbing, or use any time you're trying to do a sustained push against manageable opponents. X-Force's regen is too slow and inconsistent to allow him to be used in the same way. Rocket & Groot might be usable alongside those too as well; once I've got R&G fully covered I may try subbing them in for the sustained push.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    Patch/Daken is still the most viable pairing for PVP climbing, or use any time you're trying to do a sustained push against manageable opponents. X-Force's regen is too slow and inconsistent to allow him to be used in the same way. Rocket & Groot might be usable alongside those too as well; once I've got R&G fully covered I may try subbing them in for the sustained push.
    I completely agree.

That's the reason I placed Patch in "last few out" territory.
    He is great for when you're facing level 94 teams and you don't want to waste health packs.

But once you get to fighting all level 166/270/249 teams he is not usable.
    I feel incredibly uncomfortable taking him into upper tier matches.
    I've never seen a Patch above 800, hence why I cannot place him in the top 10.

He used to be good back when Magneto could cover his enemy strike tiles. But in his current situation, I don't consider him top 10 in terms of power.

He is very valuable as a climber, as is Daken. The difference is you can take Daken into high tier matches and he won't kill your team for you.
  • I'll use Patch in higher point matches, but mine is 3/5/5, so his enemy strike tiles are usually very easy to deal with. I think one of Patch's oddities is that he's a completely different character at 3/5/5 and 5/3/5. At 5/3/5 his green is a nuke; it can end battles very quickly but can backfire on you. At 3/5/5 he's better for longer matches but slower; I'll get his green of 2-3 times frequently in a long match and still come out of it with everyone at full health or close to.

He makes my top ten easily because I use him constantly, solely due to true healing. Back when I could prologue heal, I didn't use him as much. But I used a much wider variety of characters in general back then, because the true healing wasn't as important as it is now.
  • Patch & LDak are probably my most used characters simply because they'll get you to 800(ish) without needing to use many health packs. I barely use anyone else in PvP before that point. They're also brilliant in PvE, especially the current one where you can rip apart <2k health opponents easily with Daken's strike tiles and blue damage, then finish them off with Berzerker.

Yeah, above 800 you need to roll with a faster damage team or more 'tanky' scarecrows, but I'd consistently place Patch & LDak (it's hard to separate them) in my top 10 because they're 'The best there is' when it comes to anything outside shield hops.