Character rankings 10/14 edition: the results!

Comments

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Today's post, #11-17, are up. Just one more day until we crack the top ten!

As such I'm giving this edition a bonus theme song:

The Waiting (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers)
    Every day you see one more card
    You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
    The waiting is the hardest part

Oh how the mighty has fallen! Cmag has dropped out of top 10, after being ranked first the previous time. As you said I think he's underrated, and I think with his excellent red and blue he should be in top 10.

And oh, I'm convinced, that the reason why sentry nerf us being delayed... is because the 10/14 rankings had Breen delayed!! It must be because of you! If you had released the ranking a month ago, sentry would have been nerfed weeks ago. icon_razz.gif
  • atomzed wrote:

Oh how the mighty has fallen! Cmag has dropped out of top 10, after being ranked first the previous time. As you said I think he's underrated, and I think with his excellent red and blue he should be in top 10.

And oh, I'm convinced, that the reason why sentry nerf us being delayed... is because the 10/14 rankings had Breen delayed!! It must be because of you! If you had released the ranking a month ago, sentry would have been nerfed weeks ago. icon_razz.gif

Since each and every 1st place ranked character has followed up with a nerf/retooling I'm sure whoever is in first for this ranking will be "fixed" before January rankings are done. I do wonder if we'll ever have a character stay in 1st place for 6 months or longer.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Red Panda wrote:
    atomzed wrote:

Since each and every 1st place ranked character has followed up with a nerf/retooling I'm sure whoever is in first for this ranking will be "fixed" before January rankings are done. I do wonder if we'll ever have a character stay in 1st place for 6 months or longer.

So you're saying:
    dkwec.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker
  • Pwuz_ wrote:
    Red Panda wrote:
    atomzed wrote:

So you're saying:
    You were so close.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    Red Panda wrote:
    atomzed wrote:

So you're saying:

....uh, MM, you might want to hire a bodyguard for the next couple of days.
  • Believe it or not, I don't think Sentry will be #1 on this list.

I think there is a sleeper #1 out there:

Hood.

To be honest, when I'm climbing past 1000, I hate seeing Hood/Sentry, Hood/Xforce, Hood/Black Panther or Hood/LThor.

Sentry/Thor, Sentry/Hulk, Sentry/Black Panther or Sentry/Xforce actually don't bother me too much.

Hood's ability to short circuit my Sentry bombing is what is truly frustrating.

And his ability to enhance all the strongest characters is incredible too.

So maybe Sentry just synergizes too well with the true strongest character, Hood.

My Bold guesses for top 10:
    10. LCap
    9. Patch
    8. Hulk
    7. Daken
    6. BP
    5. LThor
    4. Fury
    3. Sentry
    2. XForce
    1. Hood

Realistically, Hood may be just #3, rather than #1. But I dunno.

I have this sneaking suspicion that we're in for a surprise at the top spot this time around.
  • 10. Hulk
    9. LCap
    8. Patch
    7. BP
    6. Daken
    5. Fury
    4. LThor
    3. Sentry
    2. Hood
    1. XForce

I think it's interesting that 5th and 6th don't have any top votes, with 6th having some odd low votes (confusion with tdaken?). Also with Hood: he's a great support character, but most people don't consider building their team 'around' just him, hence wouldn't put him first.
  • Isay_Isay
    Isay_Isay Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    I could see Hood being #1 much like Spiderman was early in the year - the top support character in the game. I think Spidey was better in PVE which probably pushed him over the top.

Hood on his own - annoying, but not necessarily scary
    Hood + XForce/Sentry/BP/LThor/LCap - dangerous

He is the secret ingredient that makes all top tier combos work, but the rest without Hood are still a threat
  • Isay_Isay wrote:
    I could see Hood being #1 much like Spiderman was early in the year - the top support character in the game. I think Spidey was better in PVE which probably pushed him over the top.

He is the secret ingredient that makes all top tier combos work, but the rest without Hood are still a threat
    A Big Mac without their "secret sauce" is just a hamburger.

Not saying Hood makes them work, but they are about 100x more dangerous with that little rascal at their side.

Hood is like a magnifying glass.

And I apologize for the McDonald's analogy. It made me feel kind of dirty, if I'm honest.
  • onimus wrote:
    Isay_Isay wrote:

A Big Mac without their "secret sauce" is just a hamburger.

Not saying Hood makes them work, but they are about 100x more dangerous with that little rascal at their side.

Hood is like a magnifying glass.

And I apologize for the McDonald's analogy. It made me feel kind of dirty, if I'm honest.

Every time I hear "secret sauce" it makes me wonder if someone's slipping it to him. So yeah, now I feel dirty too. Thanks. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Hood can't be #1. He is a support who is useless by himself. Even more useless than OBW if both were by themselves. He is an AP resource. His black is laughable as the damage abilities go. He has low HP and has no protection unlike old Spider-man. Spidey being the top at one point was due to his 2 AP stun leading to locking all the enemies and even if very slow he could defeat enemies by himself. I think this is a problem people are voting support characters higher than real trouble ones. OBW getting ranked higher than Ares is also wrong in my opinion.
  • KevinMark wrote:
    Hood can't be #1. He is a support who is useless by himself. Even more useless than OBW if both were by themselves. He is an AP resource. His black is laughable as the damage abilities go. He has low HP and has no protection unlike old Spider-man. Spidey being the top at one point was due to his 2 AP stun leading to locking all the enemies and even if very slow he could defeat enemies by himself. I think this is a problem people are voting support characters higher than real trouble ones. OBW getting ranked higher than Ares is also wrong in my opinion.
    This opens a new conversation entirely.

I play a game called League of Legends.

It's a basic moba. 5 players on each team. Whoever destroys the others' base first wins.

And in that game, there is always a conversation:

Which is better? Someone who can kill 1 person alone or someone who can help his teammates kill 5 people.

Each time, it ultimately came down to the person who could help his teammates win was always considered better. It was a team game. So people who operate better as part of a team were typically better. What good is someone who can only kill one person by himself when 1 on 1 scenarios rarely occur later in the game?

So yes, in a 1 on 1 scenario, Hood is pretty bad.

But this is not a 1 on 1 game. It's a 3 on 3 game. And when there are two other people who benefit greatly from the third's presence, that third person is genuinely valuable.

Most valuable in the game? I'm not sure. But it would be close.
  • Sorry to end the speculation so quickly, but today's post is up! Hood's on it, so he's not #1.

Bonus theme song for today: One Day More (Cast of Les Miserables)
    Tomorrow is the judgement day
    Tomorrow we'll discover what our God in Heaven has in store!
    One more dawn
    One more day
    One day more!
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll bet #1 is a greentile.pngyellowtile.png user.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hood 8th? Come on people, he should be 3rd just below XF / Sentry. Look at all of the high end pvp teams!
  • Killinstinct
    Killinstinct Posts: 99 Match Maker
    1. Xforce
    2. Lazy Thor
    3. Sentry

Imo, looking at the heat map
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    I was off on the top ten, but put XF/Sentry into top 2.

I am surprised that good 'ol Lazy Thor is still up there. Very surprised.
    He is great, don't me wrong, but I never see that guy anymore. He barely exists in top tier PvP. In fact, it just occurred to me that I barely use him myself! Between udaken/hood/sentry/xf - why would I? Quit stunning, but so be it.
  • Unknown
    edited October 2014
    Well.

I am honestly shocked how low Hood was.

Even my conservative rankings had in the top 5.

He may be the most underrated character in the game.

Don't get me wrong, Sentry, Thor and X force do the heavy lifting, but The Hood facilitates it so much, I can only imagine he belongs somewhere in the top 5.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    rkd80 wrote:
    I was off on the top ten, but put XF/Sentry into top 2.

I am surprised that good 'ol Lazy Thor is still up there. Very surprised.
    He is great, don't me wrong, but I never see that guy anymore. He barely exists in top tier PvP. In fact, it just occurred to me that I barely use him myself! Between udaken/hood/sentry/xf - why would I? Quit stunning, but so be it.

Thor's issue is that he has to be the heavy hitter, but he's third-best at it. He doesn't play nice with Sentry because they need exactly the same colors, X-Force is a better use of green, and while he and Daken make a fine pair, Daken and Sentry or Daken and X-Force make an even better one.
  • Okay, two things.

1. Thor top 3? Are you guys for real? Thor got in over Hood, Fury, and Daken? Really?
    2. Hood at 8th?

Starting to think people here aren't very good at MPQ. If this was MTG, I'd be offering to trade you my awesome Darksteel Colossuses for your useless Taigas and Underground Seas.