Character rankings 10/14 edition: the results!

Comments

• Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Spoit wrote:
    AdrianoD wrote:
    Sentry is so good that I can start with 4 hours left and still do 900 points like it was nothing ...
    xforce may be better for 1 pvp, for a lot of quick wins sentry is just awesome
    4 hours? That's more than enough time to climb to something like 1k with just random other characters like LT or BP, not even bringing X-force or sentry into play in the first place.

Heck during the Beast PvP, I got to 1.4k without even touching sentry once

I must be missing something as I've struggled to EVEN reach 900, I'm usually lucky to reach 800.
  • eattack.png
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    AdrianoD wrote:
    Sentry is so good that I can start with 4 hours left and still do 900 points like it was nothing ...
    4 hours? That's more than enough time to climb to something like 1k with just random other characters like LT or BP, not even bringing X-force or sentry into play in the first place.

I must be missing something as I've struggled to EVEN reach 900, I'm usually lucky to reach 800.

With a couple max characters you can normally hit 900 without getting attacked. Daken +xforce/Thor are really good for that kind of climb
  • stryke
    stryke Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    Registered to say thank you for the wonderful write ups. Seriously well done.
  • Pwuz_
    Jimilinho wrote:
    :eattack:
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    AdrianoD wrote:

With a couple max characters you can normally hit 900 without getting attacked. Daken +xforce/Thor are really good for that kind of climb

I typically run 166 Hulk, BP, & whatever status my featured character is. I'm not even to 500 points yet, and I've already been hit for 40 points in the Blade PvP. Not a big deal, but it adds up by the end of an event. I've seen as much as 150 point drops in less than 5 minutes near the end of an event.
  • gambl0r312
    gambl0r312 Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    "Pwuz wrote:
    ....I typically run 166 Hulk, BP, & whatever status my featured character is. I'm not even to 500 points yet, and I've already been hit for 40 points in the Blade PvP. Not a big deal, but it adds up by the end of an event. I've seen as much as 150 point drops in less than 5 minutes near the end of an event.

Unfortunately for anybody running Hulk, X-Force completely owns Hulk now (as stated previously by Mischiefmaker) as a Surgical Strike into X-Force will down possibly two chars depending on the board state, remove Green from the board, and charge up Green for even more X-Force Green skills to fire...
  • OrganisedConfusion1
    OrganisedConfusion1 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Thanks a lot for your effort. Very much appreciated.
  • I think Falcon is a tid bit underrated ; Simply because daken ... Not rarely I use falcon/daken and either Fat thor or Sentry and get too ridiculous 354, 500+ strike titles in just a few matches .... Plus since matching yellow is kind dumb falcon is pretty damn good for defence and his blue works for pve.
  • Thanks so much! This is so helpful!
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    In icons:
    icon_wolverine.pngicon_thor.pngicon_sentry.pngicon_nickfury.pngicon_daken.pngicon_blackpanther.pngicon_wolverine.pngicon_hood.pngicon_captainamerica.pngicon_hulk.pngicon_punisher.pngicon_magneto.png
    icon_humantorch.pngicon_deadpool.pngicon_psylocke.pngicon_falcon.pngicon_caroldanvers.pngicon_blackwidow.pngicon_blackwidow.pngicon_doctordoom.pngicon_ares.pngicon_ironman.pngicon_storm.pngicon_spiderman.png
    icon_shehulk.pngicon_beast.pngicon_thor.pngicon_ragnarok.pngicon_storm.pngicon_invisiblewoman.pngicon_daken.pngicon_loki.pngicon_daredevil.pngicon_magneto.pngicon_wolverine.pngicon_humantorch.png
    icon_hawkeye.pngicon_captainamerica.pngicon_juggernaut.pngicon_bullseye.pngicon_moonstone.pngicon_storm.pngicon_blackwidow.pngicon_ironman.pngicon_hawkeye.pngicon_venom.pngicon_spiderman.pngicon_yelena.png

Missing:
    icon_thor.pngicon_devildino.pngicon_colossus_new.pngicon_ms_marvel.pngicon_doctoroctopus.png :blade: :mystique:
  • So the pattern of nerfs following each character ranking holds true, but not #1 like in the 3 previous rankings. #3 & #8 have been adjusted but hopefully we'll get some interesting buffs before the January edition. I wonder what new exploit we'll be able to find after the Sentry/Hood reworking goes live.
  • Pwuz_
    Red Panda wrote:
    So the pattern of nerfs following each character ranking holds true, but not #1 like in the 3 previous rankings. #3 & #8 have been adjusted but hopefully we'll get some interesting buffs before the January edition. I wonder what new exploit we'll be able to find after the Sentry/Hood reworking goes live.

I'm not sure that these changes are going to do anything more than move Sentry to below Fury (and even that is debatable.)

Sentry still hits like a ton of bricks to the crotch and has some of the best health in the game.

Hood is still valued for 5 Blue. His other skills are still just bonuses. Even taking away his other two skills, Hood is more valuable than Lazy Cap.
  • Thanks for taking the time to do all this work!
  • Unknown
    edited November 2014
    These nerfs do nothing to Hood's ranking (IMO) and shouldn't damage Sentry too much* but I think we'll see a few more defensive wins at the top end as the people who Sentrybomb (without 6ap boosts) gamble too much on WR/Sac and the reduced number of WR's don't supply the insta-win against high HP chars that they used to.

Strangely, this nerf to Sentry is an indirect buff to Devil Dinosaur. His big HP pool now means he could possibly take more than two WR's to down, which is a big timewaste in the 1000pt+ zone. It doesn't make DD more dangerous, but I would certainly skip rather than have to spend 5 minutes taking him down.

* to qualify, the extra WR turn isn't too bad but the extra 5 green AP is a **** for Sentry - he'll still be top 10, but not the beast he is now.
  • I'm starting to wonder if C.Mags isn't too low. He's definitely better than Punisher, and arguably better than LCap or Hulk.
  • Probably just a hangover from the nerf. You're right, he's still better than most but I could probably argue the point for Hulk and LCap based on the formers ability to royally mess you up with an Anger cascade (and therefore synergy with X-Force, especially in high level PvE) and the latters AP return and tile overwriting capability. It's just that CMags doesn't stand out anymore.
  • These nerfs do nothing to Hood's ranking (IMO) and shouldn't damage Sentry too much but I think we'll see a few more defensive wins at the top end as the people who Sentrybomb (without 6ap boosts) gamble too much on WR/Sac and the reduced number of WR's don't supply the insta-win against high HP chars that they used to.

Strangely, this nerf to Sentry is an indirect buff to Devil Dinosaur. His big HP pool now means he could possibly take more than two WR's to down, which is a big timewaste in the 1000pt+ zone. It doesn't make DD more dangerous, but I would certainly skip rather than have to spend 5 minutes taking him down.

As a buff to Hulk & Captain Marvel if you can't use 1 WR to down them and also an indirect buff to stun TUs
  • I'm starting to wonder if C.Mags isn't too low. He's definitely better than Punisher, and arguably better than LCap or Hulk.

Those 2 got big votes from the PVE perspective coz there have been a few nodes in the Gauntlet where only those 2 could beat it.
  • Red Panda wrote:
    I'm starting to wonder if C.Mags isn't too low. He's definitely better than Punisher, and arguably better than LCap or Hulk.

Those 2 got big votes from the PVE perspective coz there have been a few nodes in the Gauntlet where only those 2 could beat it.
    Punisher single handedly won me the first gauntlet (this was before I had Sentry maxed).

I still think he's strong. But you don't need to put ISO into him in order for him to be useful.
    All you need is 8 red AP and 5 red covers.

He takes it from there, dealing 10k damage to level 395 Hulks and such.
  • Pwuz_
    onimus wrote:
    Punisher single handedly won me the first gauntlet (this was before I had Sentry maxed).

I still think he's strong. But you don't need to put ISO into him in order for him to be useful.
    All you need is 8 red AP and 5 red covers.

He takes it from there, dealing 10k damage to level 395 Hulks and such.

Punisher is a fantastic transitional character. He was my 1st 3* I had maxed, and Retribution certainly came in handy during those fights when it was just him OBW & a loaner/Baby Thor.

As I moved more firmly into 3* territory, he became used less and less though. I also found 5/5/3 build to be more useful for PvP as it is less likely that the AI will screw up. An aware player can always turn Retribution to a target that can either take the hit or is nearly used up anyway.
  • I was thinking earlier about the character ranking and how the current ones that we do only apply to PVP. What if we did one for PVE? I know how long these take, but I don't think we need one as often as the PVP versions since they don't change as often.