Trial By Combat - Oct 20 - 22 - Season VII

Options
13»

Comments

• loroku wrote:
    kalirion wrote:
    Um, no, Hood's Blue is far and away his best ability. It's useful for EVERY character, including Sentry since it lets you get those 7 Green and 8 Yellow quicker.
    Um, no, it's black. icon_e_smile.gif That's because black + Sentry = win, win, win. Don't you read the forums? Duh. icon_e_smile.gif

Black is useful, but you don't need it as long as the AI doesn't match (or transform) your Sacrifice strike tile. Plus you need 9 Black AP to make use of it - that's at least one extra match. 5 Blue on the other hand is far more useful both with and without Sentry shield hopping.

The debate is whether 5 Black or 5 Yellow are more important. 5 Blue is a given.
  • Anyone joining super late? Any info on when queues are filling?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Aaaargh. My first attempt at shield-hopping meets a quick and brutal end when I try to nuke stuff with boosted Stormneto but bring OBW instead of Mags by accident, followed by a series of cascades for the AI when I try to gather blue the old-fashioned way, followed by L5 Sniper Rifle to the face, followed by me cutting my losses and shielding up at the same ~600 I usually finish at, but with 150 HP wasted. So much hate.
  • kalirion wrote:
    loroku wrote:
    kalirion wrote:
    Um, no, Hood's Blue is far and away his best ability. It's useful for EVERY character, including Sentry since it lets you get those 7 Green and 8 Yellow quicker.
    Um, no, it's black. icon_e_smile.gif That's because black + Sentry = win, win, win. Don't you read the forums? Duh. icon_e_smile.gif

Black is useful, but you don't need it as long as the AI doesn't match (or transform) your Sacrifice strike tile. Plus you need 9 Black AP to make use of it - that's at least one extra match. 5 Blue on the other hand is far more useful both with and without Sentry shield hopping.

The debate is whether 5 Black or 5 Yellow are more important. 5 Blue is a given.

I personally perfer 5 Yellow.

Just broke 1100 for the red cover, currently at 3/4/4.

Her preformance in this has been pretty good. I think though I am gonna want her at 5/3/5, the blue makes for a good CD tile cleaner.
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    loroku wrote:
    ... No idea how my MMR got so bad so fast...

Did you do well in Combined Arms and/or Balance of Power last week? You could still be feeling the effects of an inflated MMR.
  • loroku wrote:
    kalirion wrote:

im always curious to know more between the Ldaken+Sentry camp and the hood + Sentry camp.

I have always used Ldaken since I cannot get off hood's black every time, as well, the same goes with Sentry's Yellow may not come thru every time too, which means as I gather green, Daken's free strike tiles helps make most Sentry bomb viable.

I Am also coming up the delima of respec'ing my hood to 3/5/5 or 4/5/4. I hardly use hood's yellow, but does anyone know if the AI uses Hood yellow more often to make it a good defensive built?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Blarg, curse you pentagoon for always being in my bracket and making last minute pushes as well!
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The AI tends to use the lower-cost skills as they become available, and especially since Hood has low life and a really effective passive the players fighting you will generally try and take him out first, which makes it unlikely that your team will be in a position to fire off Twin Pistols very much. Plus, if the AI manages to gather 15 yellow AP while Hood is still alive your team is probably going to win the game anyway just because there's been a massive death cascade in your favor.
  • silverrex wrote:
    im always curious to know more between the Ldaken+Sentry camp and the hood + Sentry camp.

The advantage of Hood + Sentry is that Hood might steal enough AP to save you a match, and that can save precious time.

The advantage of Lazy Daken + Sentry is that you might get enough strike tiles from matching green that you don't have to match yellow, and that can save precious time.

Hood can be better on defense because he can steal enemy AP, plus he tends to go down first, and the other people may be able to get some skills off as a result.

Lazy Daken can be better on defense because he has more hit points, tends to get taken out last, and can fill the board with strike tiles while regenerating damage.

Personally, I prefer Hood, but they both have advantages.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Daken is better on defense simply because the AI doesn't reliably cast Sacrifice before World Rupture and WR on it's own won't win any games. Daken's strike tiles will ensure that enough damage is done from WR that a Supernova will finish the job.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    silverrex wrote:

The advantage of Hood + Sentry is that Hood might steal enough AP to save you a match, and that can save precious time.

The advantage of Lazy Daken + Sentry is that you might get enough strike tiles from matching green that you don't have to match yellow, and that can save precious time.

Hood can be better on defense because he can steal enemy AP, plus he tends to go down first, and the other people may be able to get some skills off as a result.

Lazy Daken can be better on defense because he has more hit points, tends to get taken out last, and can fill the board with strike tiles while regenerating damage.

If your opponent has Hood and you don't, your boosted shield hop can become incredibly screwed with a bad board. This is why it only makes sense to use Hood + Sentry for me.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Hoodless teams get queued more often - true story.
  • locked wrote:

I doubt it - once I am past 700 points, every other team has a Hood in it. Past 800 points - 2/3.
  • the only time I would/will face a max hood is when I have a 45-50 pt match qued up. I usually head in fully boosted with my Sentry, take him out and spring ahead by 50 pts (generally 800-850) then shield with <3 hrs remaining for a top 25 finish. Aside from this, I will almost always skip any hood I see just because I hate having my ap stolen.

so does this make hood better in defense than daken? Still not sure. Maybe the best middle of the road is to run up with Ldaken/Sentry and end my last match with hood/Sentry?
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    If the AI Sentry team has Hood, then not bringing your own Hood is dangerous. UDaken will add strike tiles, which can start to really hurt after a while, but AI Hood can completely shut down all of your real abilities. Getting that final Sacrifice yellow AP stolen at exactly the wrong time is the worst, especially when the AI has quietly gotten enough red to Supernova you just to rub it in.

Hood's best power by far is blueflag.png . 5 blueflag.png is absolutely optimal.

If you're using Hood primarily for Sentry-bombing using Sentry greenflag.png + [1 match] + Sentry yellowflag.png + Hood blackflag.png , then Hood should be 3/5/5.

In all other situations, Hood should be 5/5/3. Sentry is the only playable character who puts down enough CDs to make Hood 5 blackflag.png worthwhile.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    kalirion wrote:
    locked wrote:

I doubt it - once I am past 700 points, every other team has a Hood in it. Past 800 points - 2/3.
    At that point level, you might just be seeing the Sentry bomb folk and the team they won with during a shieldhop. LDaken is great for climbing sub 700 to save on healthpacks but once you get to 800-900, there is nothing faster than Hood and you have to shield hop to keep climbing. So, those are the teams left that you end up seeing in your queue.
  • kalirion wrote:
    locked wrote:

i think what locked meant is that teams without hood get targeted more. which i totally agree with. past 1300, its all hood all the time so its inevitable that you'll have to face off against hood eventually. but if i so happen to find a fury/xforce team or any team at all without a hood i jump on that opportunity immediately and queue them up. i'll skip thousands of isos worth just to avoid going up against the hood
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ah, yeah, I understand what he's talking about then. When possible, I'll target any team but one with Hood. With him, I know it could be a longer/lost game if I can't get the AP I need and the only counter is to bring my own. Makes for boring games, time after time, however...
  • silverrex wrote:
    I Am also coming up the delima of respec'ing my hood to 3/5/5 or 4/5/4. I hardly use hood's yellow, but does anyone know if the AI uses Hood yellow more often to make it a good defensive built?

With this event I respeced to 3/5/5. I rarely used Twin Pistols on offense (non-Sentry) and rarely let Hood live long enough on defense to fire it off. But to set off all World Rupture tiles before the Sacrifice tile can be matched. Priceless.

I am looking forward to trying that out next event.

And regarding Daken v. Hood. Disclaimer: My Daken is undercovered (2/5/3). By the time I break out Sentry/Hood, I am at the endgame and hopping. At this point I am using boosts, so in reality, it is 1 green match before World Rupture. To get enough strike tiles from Daken to not need Sacrifice would vastly (at least 60 seconds) extend the game. Hood is faster and safer. Plus the only way to counter an opposing Hood is with your own. You can counter Daken by killing his whole team in 4 turns.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    silverrex wrote:

From the perspective of someone who rarely shield-hops or boosts, given a choice between Daken and Hood I always go for Hood. He's soft enough to take out quickly, and the opponent ends up with a two-man team or one plus loaner. Daken's strikes and chem reaction spam hurt.

That said, I am totally not looking forward to all buffed Hood all the time. :p