The X-Men's Version of "Play Hard" = Cheat

Options
13»

Comments

• franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2014
    Options
    frankly, i honestly dont care about you cheating or not.. it really doesnt matter.. what i know though is that some of you are some punks you should be ashamed of and are a disgrace to your team and this community.. taking some random pic in a fb profile to make fun of it on a internet chat is symptomatic of the mindset of some of you.. seeing naz and some of his dogs barking and claiming they are superstars just make this whole thing despicable.. clearly this game brings the baddest from y'all and from now on i really ignore xmen as they are not worth of my time anymore..
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ok, I admit we all thought the X-Men were cheating because NOBODY would be stupid enough to spend more effort than bee and reckless, and more money than colognoisseur, and end up with, at best, the exact same rewards/rosters as dozens of competitive players, and in some cases, much worse rosters

Fine, naz, his lawyer wife, and cfl02 have shown us that yes, their stupidity really does know no bounds. Can you all shut up and go away now?
  • Unknown
    Options
    8qLqCuj.jpg

Exclusive video coverage from the Anti-Xmen rally. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    sms4002 wrote:
    Let's see some bank statements showing how much hp you are buying per pvp. It could def make sense, remember the first sentry pvp? mickey got up to 1300 on the first day because of the delay in attacks and points so they were hitting seed teams for 25 points all the way to the top. If you could somehow manipulate that, it would allow for crazy scores.

Sure - want my tax return and drivers licence too? icon_lol.gif

That sentry pvp was during their server glitch when everyone else was making out like bandits on the previous pvp (it was the overlapping friday ones) which i had already shielded out. So I gained on sentry and got left behind on the other one.

Not everyone wants to play the game the way x-men do, but this is like accusing late bracket entrants of "cheating" their way to a bracket win with only 10 minutes play. If you don't like the game mechanics that's fine but we didn't design it.....

And if we did have our own laggy server then our scores would be much higher than they are icon_e_wink.gif

For the record, I wasn't saying you were cheating on the sentry pvp. Was just saying how if someone was able to create a laggy server that would be how it would work.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Cheating or not, a few people don't seem to like X-men. I think the reason for this is what I just saw someone say in another post on a different thread. They are just paying for wins, no one can compete with them because they just throw money at the game like it's nothing. Which is disheartening to any player who doesn't want to spend heaps of money on the game. Because even if those players put in all this effort and time it doesn't mean much because X-men just buy their way to the top. Though this isn't the fault of the X-men, it's the fault of the game and the way it is set up. If the X-men want to spend money on this game so they are always number 1 fine they have the right to do that, does it suck for the rest of us? sure it does. But unless the game itself changes it will forever be this way.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Oh yes absolutely! Because the devs definitely would not have been able to notice us scoring big without spending money on shields. And even if there was a server where we could magically protect ourselves we would still need the shields. Nothing there makes sense at all. #gullible

Do you think anything through or do you just like to show how jealous you are every chance you get? Get a life dude. If you wouldn't spend so much time worrying about what everyone else is doing you might actually enjoy yourself.
    You lost all credibility when you used a hashtag. Thanks for the laughs though.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Most of what has been written on this forum about how cheating works is inaccurate.

So glad you chimed in to give us this vague non-answer, not like it's important or upsetting or anything that the top team in the game may be running circles around any anti-cheating mechanic you may have in place.

Of course, let's just detail how people are cheating so; A) people without the knowledge to figure it out can Google it and do it themselves and B) spout a bunch of information that 99.9% users would understand. K, go. Great idea pal.[/quote
    _RiO_ wrote:
    Most of what has been written on this forum about how cheating works is inaccurate.

Oh come on! Other threads on these forums have had links to sites that were offering trainers for download that would hand players one-hit-kill and infinite health. Trainers that are being maintained with each and every patch release of the game and that have updates released no later than a day after official patches! It's bloody freaking ridiculous!!

Don't you think it's about damn time your people did something about that **** instead of dismissing the entire argument because 'most of what has been written' here was inaccurate?

Welcome to the current world. Trainers have 0% to do with D3, 80% to do with operating platforms, and 20% technology faults (i.e. exploits). Yes, there are ways to prevent these types of things from happening, but it's after the fact (because they have to find the exploit of spoof first, then send it through, 9.10 for them to know the fault), and if you take a look at any game, there is a hacking and modding community - there is always a backdoor. Please, if you're just spouting off at the mouth with no real knowledge of the topic, just don't. If companies like Activision can't keep people from cheating, hacking, modding, spoofing, etc what part of your faltering IQ begs you to fathom a nowhere-near-AAA company can?
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If companies like Activision can't keep people from cheating, hacking, modding, spoofing, etc what part of your faltering IQ begs you to fathom a nowhere-near-AAA company can?

Faltering IQ; maybe for the people that programmed this game and that committed the cardinal sin of trusting the client.

As for AAA titles; the reason competitive AAA games are rife with cheating is because business execs cut costs in security hardening their multiplayer game setup, as the primary platforms are almost always console systems. (To the eyes of the tech-inept a 'closed system' like a console means it cannot be cheated through. They'd be wrong of course.) And then you get a cheap PC port that uses the same client-server communication and architecture, because it's already there and redoing it is too costly. Sometimes a PC port even functionally must re-use that architecture; namely when both console and PC players have shared cross-system multiplayer.

Want an example of some games that were set up correctly? Real PC games with a competitive multiplayer element, like Quake and its derivatives. Those games ran an entire instance of a game in parallel on the server and interpolated game state between client and server. Infinite health? Nope. Invincibility? Nope. Infinite ammo? Nope. Wallhacks? Not reliably, as clients don't get sent updated coordinates of players the server deems they should not be able to see. The best way to cheat was an aimbot and that was detectable to a degree as well: most aimbots would snap their targeting directions at too high an angular velocity that no human player would. As I recall from my days modding Quake III; its code has explicit sanity checks on the user input sent to the server, both to cover this and to cover a variety of movement hacks.

Staying with Quake III for a bit: that was a very high-paced real-time FPS requiring constant updates at near 60 FPS. And still; running an 8 player dedicated server instance on a pittisome 500 MHz machine didn't even break 5% CPU usage. MPQ in contrast is nowhere near real-time and not nearly as complex. It should only require a fraction of the amount of computational power to mirror player matches on the server side and provide sanity checking that way. Ofcourse D3P/Demiurge didn't do that, because even though it is technically possible; not doing so is cheaper. And really; who's going to cheat in a casual game, right? Right...?
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    First and foremost, I would like to apologize to the bloke I referred to having "faltering IQ" - that was rude and uncalled for - however, please try to understand that, from my point of view, I see a nearly infinite amount of users that realistically have no scope on the actual information or overall technological hurdles of maintaining a lot of the "easy tasks" that devs "should be doing". I, again, apologize, it's just one of those festering flies that tends to be right there, but you can't quite swat. I wish I had a way to enumerate or express the amount of effort or manhours it likely took to simply make the original framework for this title, and while I have no played MPQ since it's conception, I have looked back on a lot of the developmental pieces I could get a hold of, and it's come an extremely long way, and while I may or may not agree with some of the choices or changes they have made, I take the time to give logic and humanity to these choices and give them the benefit of the doubt, because there's no reason not to.

Are they a business? Yes. Are they trying to cut a profit? Yup. Are they doing a pretty good job of giving every user an opportunity to be able to play regardless of pay status? Yes. Is it perfect? Not at all, but what is - nada. Is MMR and Bracketing weird right now? Yup, but you know what, as much as everyone complains about mid-season changes, you'd think that the fragmenting of the community and the crapload of outcry that'd get for changing essentially the entire infrastructure of the Season would be...substantial.

Look at the Daken changes for a second here - people complained so loud about the changes to Daken that they literally pulled the changes from the game (within days, even, if I recall correctly), but now, when people talk about the Daken changes, it's either neutral or "wasn't even that bad". Come on. We would even touch on the fact that everyone complains that the devs are so "disconnected from the community", but when people really spoke out, they saw the community's logic and took action in a reasonable time period. Yeah, loads of people are upset about Team-Ups. Yeah, Team-Ups probably aren't as polished as they should have been. Yeah, an option to delete Team-Ups should be pretty "obvious". You know what though? You know who likely tested this )and any other) features? The devs. Do you think they played a PvP and a PvE and all that too see if your inventory got clutter quickly or that you'd get useless ones quickly? I highly doubt it. You know what they probably did? Balance testing. Do Team-Ups make the game unbalanced? No. Does the randomization algorithm seem somewhat not-so-random sometimes? Sure. Maybe there's a bug or something more to this we simply don't know about yet. Would I like to not be in a situation where I score better than my girlfriend in an event, but get a substantially lower prize tier? Definitely, but to be frank, at the end of the day, I simply shouldn't be in brackets like hers.

Anyways. I rambled a bit there. My point is, there's a lot (not just here in MPQ) of buck passing and naming calling to the devs by people that realistically have no merit or credentials to make half they claims they do, because they simply don't understand the metrics at hand (for example, it's nowhere near my place to walk up to an accountant and tell him he's doing his job poorly, even if I didn't get the tax return I wanted - I have no real idea if he made a mistake or not).

As for _RiO_'s response, I'll get to that later. It's late icon_e_sad.gif but I'll say for the time being that you have some solid points, but especially in the example, there are some serious flaws in your comparison.