Character rankings 6/14 edition: the results!

Comments

• Wow- extensive and explicative. Excellent job on the rankings post.

I admit I did not read through the whole thread so forgive me if I am repeating a post.

What changes are you anticipating for Magneto?
  • I had voted :

1 L Thor
    2 Magneto
    3 Sentry
    4 Patch
    5 Hood
    6 Panther
    7 Widow
    8 L Daken
    9 Punisher
    10 L Cap

I still feel fairly good about this list with the one exception is that I would move Daken ahead of Hood, Patch and Panther. I didnt have him leveled when I voted. But he really might be the best single 3 star to have on a roster. He pairs well with everyone.

I feel good about Sentry at 3 because honestly hes not great for climbing with but he is the best character in the game after 1000 points and the best in the game on D. I might have had more knowledge of the character than the average player when these votes took place but he is WAY too low. You could argue he is the best in the game easily. Mag will soon drop out of top 5 I'm sure so then its Thor Daken and Sentry in the top 3. The only 3 characters you need.... Add Hood at 4 if you need a 4th icon_razz.gif

it will be a very interesting next round to see where characters like Storm or She Hulk wind up. Or more importantly where Nick Fury ends up along with other 4 stars after buffs.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Fury will probably drop in around the same level as Lazy Cap for much the same reason: he's powerful (incredibly so) but kind of slow.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    HairyDave wrote:
    Fury will probably drop in around the same level as Lazy Cap for much the same reason: he's powerful (incredibly so) but kind of slow.
    I suspect that he will be higher than Lcap. While Lcap is slow and steady, he can't kill off a single character with his one cast of red. However, fury can kill off 1 character with his one cast of blue. That makes a huge difference.
  • I agree that his blue makes him upper tier. It is one of the best if not the best power in the game on Defense. I

think the biggest thing about him is the people who will have him capped now or shortly are also people who will likely used +3 to all and +3 to color buffs. Thus removing his slowness for those players. This could actually make his yellow nasty if you simply have the colors you need for all the heroes to activate by default.
  • Fury may be lower than he would otherwise simply because not many people are going to have one with any covers leveled up for a while. Unless and until he hits the packs and is a #1 prize, he's going to be, at most, the 78th level 1/1/1 guy a lot of people have on their rosters.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    Fury may be lower than he would otherwise simply because not many people are going to have one with any covers leveled up for a while. Unless and until he hits the packs and is a #1 prize, he's going to be, at most, the 78th level 1/1/1 guy a lot of people have on their rosters.

well lots of people didnt have spider-man and that did stop them from complaining when they went up against him in pvp.

I know several people at the top already have Nick capped. But you are right. Most people probably wont get a chance to even fight those people. More likely to get those in a Queue when you are over 1000 rating.
  • HairyDave
    bonebreak wrote:
    I agree that his blue makes him upper tier. It is one of the best if not the best power in the game on Defense. I

think the biggest thing about him is the people who will have him capped now or shortly are also people who will likely used +3 to all and +3 to color buffs. Thus removing his slowness for those players. This could actually make his yellow nasty if you simply have the colors you need for all the heroes to activate by default.
    Probably true but every character suddenly gets a lot better when you're boosting.
  • Anyone have a compendium that has the recommended build for every character?
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Grizzlegom wrote:
    Anyone have a compendium that has the recommended build for every character?

See here: Polarity's Guide on Going From 1* to 3*. Has most character's recommended builds and explanations as to why those builds are recommended.
  • mags1587 wrote:
    Grizzlegom wrote:

See here: Polarity's Guide on Going From 1* to 3*. Has most character's recommended builds and explanations as to why those builds are recommended.

Thanks a bunch!
  • mags1587 wrote:
    Grizzlegom wrote:

Thanks!
  • How does the known change of Lazy Daken thats incoming will effect his ranking?
  • HairyDave
    How does the known change of Lazy Daken thats incoming will effect his ranking?

Not a whole lot. He's still going to be a fantastic sidekick to any green-based hero.

All that's going to change is his preferred build - 5/5/3 to maximise his longevity or 5/3/5 to make a death-dealing kamikaze.
  • Would think the change to Black Panther will raise him up a few points (of all the characters to buff! I guess he benefits from the fact that they were forced to change his lousy ability due to the environment tile change).

Be interesting to see how Team-Ups effect these rankings, if they are at all affected by what characters you have on the roster or not, and whether they are automatically used at max level or not.
  • HairyDave
    edited August 2014
    Zhirrzh wrote:
    Would think the change to Black Panther will raise him up a few points (of all the characters to buff! I guess he benefits from the fact that they were forced to change his lousy ability due to the environment tile change).
    He can't really go much higher icon_e_biggrin.gif

He's behind:
    • CMags - unnerfed he's still top two
    • LazyThor - with or without CMags nerf he's top two
    • Patch - BP's improved strike tiles bring him pretty close but Patch is still a zombie with 5 yellow so IMO he's still the better option
    • Punisher - Panther has better strike tiles and a better black nuke. PunPun is going down (he was a little overrated anyway)
    • Daken - Still a monster even with the change to his black. No change for me.

Unless Deadpool is phenomenally good, Panther is into the top five for me.
  • Fantastic compilation mischefmaker. Just wanted to add a thank you for all the hard work you put in on this list. It's impressive, as is all the great analysis of the characters.
  • HairyDave wrote:
    Zhirrzh wrote:
    Would think the change to Black Panther will raise him up a few points (of all the characters to buff! I guess he benefits from the fact that they were forced to change his lousy ability due to the environment tile change).

He's behind:
    • Patch - BP's improved strike tiles bring him pretty close but Patch is still a zombie with 5 yellow so IMO he's still the better option
    • Punisher - Panther has better strike tiles and a better black nuke. PunPun is going down (he was a little overrated anyway)

Panther is probably going to replace Punisher as the 3* everyone builds up to 166 as soon as possible. Better health, BETTER black power, better strike tiles, no green that gets in the way, the only thing you're missing is the board shakeup. If only they could release a decent purple user for when Cmags nerf hits (maybe Deadpool? we'll see later today) you'd have every color covered, since Red/green is a very common combination.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    HairyDave wrote:
    Zhirrzh wrote:

He's behind:

BP will definatly push Punisher out, but I also think Sentry will make top 5. He is such a strong character and I would rather have him than Lazy Thor. I actually like both Sentry and BP over Lazy Thor. Deadpool will definatly be a wild card if his black is true healing and interesting powers.
    My top 5
    Cmags- top spot till nerf
    Sentry- Kills Everyone really fast.
    Patch- best self healing huge offensive capabilities
    LDaken- Self healing, easy strike tiles, good Nuke on blue, pairs with everyone
    BP- Great strike tiles, off colors Y,B,B so makes little overlap, awsome Nuke in Rage of the Panther

Lazy Thor- huge tank, slow powers with traditional RYG is my #6. COTS 14G vs Rage of panther 12B? BP has 1 competeing color with Cmags, Sentry, Patch, LDaken while Lazy Thor directly competes with Sentry and Patch. Lazy Thor is still really strong, but he is not on my A-team.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    Here's my current top tier choices, in order:
    S tier
    C. Magneto      5/5/3   blue is overpowered
    Sentry          3/5/5   green is overpowered

A+
    Lazy Daken      5/5/3   great with Sentry
    Patch           3/5/5   or 5/*/* with CMags
    Black Panther   5/3/5    
    Nick Fury       5/5/3   blue is amazing
    Lazy Thor       3/5/5