Character rankings 6/14 edition: the results!

Comments

• Maybe he had only two playable characters icon_lol.gif
  • #6-11 are up today! Only one more day to go...
  • Preview for voting on next cycle,after healing nerf goes in:

1 (Tie): Patch & Lazy Daken
    3: Daken
    4 (Tie): Everyone else
  • Unknown
    edited June 2014
    Now that the list is starting to take shape, I think Black Panther is overrated. His black is incredible, but if you are running with LT or Sentry, you are going to be going for their hard-hitting powers first and/or denying color to an enemy (90% of the time it will be purple, green or red).

By the time you have accrued enough black it's just as a finishing move, so much of it's effect is unneeded. It better be, or otherwise you will be giving the AI enough AP to do some retaliation damage.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Predicting:
    1. Lazy Thor
    2. C Mags
    3. Lazy Daken
    4. Patch
    5. Punisher
  • Predicting:
    1. Lazy Thor
    2. C Mags
    3. Lazy Daken
    4. Patch
    5. Punisher

I'd agree with that, except I would reverse 1 and 2.

Lazy Thor has a stupid good AI-friendly Yellow and Green, but his Red is meh.

On the other hand, when a player can cast CMags's Purple, which hits for several thousand points of damage per cast is his **worst** ability (to most players), let alone 2 AP red board shakes and costless Blue match 5s, he runs away with the champion's crown quite easily for this quarter's rankings. Yeah, the AI can't play his Blue worth a tinykitty, but then again, a player isn't exactly using CMags for defense. The player is using CMags for pure speed and ensuring that the other side almost never gets another turn, especially when a player can boost 6 Blue out of the gates and with a friendly board win on Turn 1.
  • Kavel
    Kavel Posts: 85
    Yeah, I actually am surprised to see Daken so high on the list while Mag is still so prominent. I never worry about Daken because I know I'm going to be sucking up all the blue on the board with Mag Spam. You have to watch the gradual buildup of strikes, but Mags lets you get away with giving the enemy team so few turns that it's not like you're getting slugged constantly by boosted match-3s.

I think he might have benefited a bit from the "new hotness" effect in the voting, but coming changes (CMag nerf/heal change) will vindicate his final ranking.
  • There's basically no defense against Magneto anyway, so you really shouldn't hold that against Daken.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    I'm surprised that Sentry didn't even make the top 10. I had him as #1.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Not enough people have him and even fewer know how to properly use him. Self-damage scares people.
  • i prediced sen would be ranked higher ...
    other than that no surprise at all ...
    the only thing i cant predict is lt or cmag on first spot ..
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Duh, Mags is 1st.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    locked wrote:
    Duh, Mags is 1st.
    If I'd had the chance to vote, he'd be 2nd.

Lazy Thor is just so easy not even the AI can it screw up, the same can't be said for Mags. Mags needs player finesse and preferably a strike tile generator around to get the most out of him, Lazy Thor can stand on his own just fine.
  • vudu3 wrote:
    Not enough people have him and even fewer know how to properly use him. Self-damage scares people.

If healing goes away, his level of self-damage is going to be devastating for anyone who isn't willing to spend cash on health packs.

Of course this hasn't happened yet so I have to agree that he's undervalued.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    locked wrote:
    Duh, Mags is 1st.
    For me, it's a toss-up between him and LT (since Sentry's ranking has already been unveiled). Sure, CMags is a one-man pain train that can stretch one turn into 20 turns on offense, and essentially has no counter. But, the AI doesn't play him well. LT, OTOH, can be countered with AP thieves, but is idiot-proof.
  • over_clocked
    Well, I have both maxed Magneto and LT, and I value the one that is fun to use, but requires finesse (or, as Phantron would have put it, dirty broken tricks) more than the one that is idiot-proof (or, as Phantron would have put it, idiot-proof).
    icon_razz.gif
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ok...

IM40.

Mine is currently on 1 yellow. I have just gotten a second yellow cover. [Red currently on 2, with 3 blue and am on the long long stupidly long climb to get any 3* chararters with enough covers].

Based on the discussion in the rankings, what do I do with this cover now?
  • over_clocked
    2 yellow allows you to fuel cStorm (which is pretty cool right now in Heroic Juggs), mBW, mHawkeye, Captain America and perhaps Daken/She-Hulk/Doom (****?). Magneto/oBW can get their own AP. I don't see a reason NOT to have at least 2 yellow.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Used.

When I one day get a third yellow, do I use it?
  • over_clocked
    You only generally want IM 40 for PvE as he is totes useless in PvP unless you have zero useful yellow abilities otherwise (Hood, Sentry, Ares, LT), and getting 10 yellow AP in PvE in time can be problematic - speaking from my current experience. I can barely pull off a Recharge every second game or so, and at least one of the CDs almost always gets destroyed. Level 3 only charges 2 green per CD, which are so easily destroyed, and if you want to charge green, there are numerous better ways about it (GSBW, Thor, Rags, Desert). Since speed of the Recharge is so important and you don't want to AP boost for a freaking AP generator, I'd say run with level 2 yellow for now.