NEW FEATURE - Auto-Fire Abilities!

Options
12346ยป

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

It's a really odd mix of people who seem to want full optimal autoplay (ie this change doesn't go far enough), and people who want to go back to the days when you had to match tiles and cast powers strategically to win (and sorry, that ship sailed when they released 5* Thor, and we're never going back). Oh, plus some "why would you do this instead of fixing [insert long-standing problem X]?"

They've really managed to upset basically the entire top-end player population with this, which probably means they're doing something right.

Meanwhile I'm still having fun trying to figure out how to optimize it.

• Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    It's a really odd mix of people who seem to want full optimal autoplay (ie this change doesn't go far enough), and people who want to go back to the days when you had to match tiles and cast powers strategically to win (and sorry, that ship sailed when they released 5* Thor, and we're never going back). Oh, plus some "why would you do this instead of fixing [insert long-standing problem X]?"

They've really managed to upset basically the entire top-end player population with this, which probably means they're doing something right.

I definitely would love full autoplay, and have been bringing it up on and off for a couple years lol. I know it won't be as good as me making decisions, just using the game's AI, but it would save me a good chunk of time doing easy stuff like the first few nodes in pve, or some of the DDP fights. The match would take longer with the CPU playing for me, but it's something I could just have going while I'm doing something else. It feels like it would cut down on the daily grind a bit.

• Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options

@DrClever said:

@Yepyep said:
    Players who just want to while away subway time

If they just want time to pass without them having to think while strange things they don't understand and can't control flit before their baffled senses couldn't they just have a snooze and dream?

This feature essentially sandboxes players away from the game's daunting learning curve

**When you say "players" do you mean "gerbils"? **Because if it's humans being daunted by this learning curve they should probably be sandboxed away from electricity altogether.

I'm sure your analysis is spot on, it's just depressing.

My preferred term is "sheeple," but I can't always get things said with precision; I'm busy ruminating most hours of the day.

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 602 Critical Contributor
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

Serious question: are you really having fun trying to "optimize" what basically amounts to a five year old telling you when to shift? (If you can't drive a stick, that probably doesn't make sense)

I guess I understand trying to find the best combination for that particular mechanic... The process itself could be rewarding in an "I did it" kind of way. I just can't see the best version of an auto-fire team competing with the meta...

Yes, passives changed the game. So no one's fully in control anymore because you need to use meta to keep up, but it's still not the same (no matter how many comparisons are between certain passives it's not equal to AI firing active powers poorly) and would ultimately restrict your character choices even more.

I think it's great you're having fun with it, so don't take my opinion as being negative. it's just my opinion.

Anyway... Glad you like it. I can't personally see me ever turning it on again outside of some kind of community (official or otherwise) challenge to find teams that do certain things.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Blackstone said:

@entrailbucket said:

Serious question: are you really having fun trying to "optimize" what basically amounts to a five year old telling you when to shift? (If you can't drive a stick, that probably doesn't make sense)

I guess I understand trying to find the best combination for that particular mechanic... The process itself could be rewarding in an "I did it" kind of way. I just can't see the best version of an auto-fire team competing with the meta...

Yes, passives changed the game. So no one's fully in control anymore because you need to use meta to keep up, but it's still not the same (no matter how many comparisons are between certain passives it's not equal to AI firing active powers poorly) and would ultimately restrict your character choices even more.

I think it's great you're having fun with it, so don't take my opinion as being negative. it's just my opinion.

Anyway... Glad you like it. I can't personally see me ever turning it on again outside of some kind of community (official or otherwise) challenge to find teams that do certain things.

So yes, I actually am having fun trying to figure out how to optimize it. I do still think there's a fast team comp here.

I think the point is that this is just another push in the fully-automated direction. If you're trying to be fast, your character choices are already very restricted. This opens up a few more possibilities by turning active abilities into passives (for speed purposes). The AI doesn't fire powers poorly -- he has a set of rules that he follows, and because of that, we know how he'll play and can optimize for it.

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 602 Critical Contributor
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@Blackstone said:

@entrailbucket said:

So yes, I actually am having fun trying to figure out how to optimize it. I do still think there's a fast team comp here.

I think the point is that this is just another push in the fully-automated direction. If you're trying to be fast, your character choices are already very restricted. This opens up a few more possibilities by turning active abilities into passives (for speed purposes). The AI doesn't fire powers poorly -- he has a set of rules that he follows, and because of that, we know how he'll play and can optimize for it.

As I said, I'm glad you're having fun with it.

Your actives into passives idea sounds good in theory, I just don't see it working as well as you seem to expect in practice. Good luck though.

The end result of the AI firing active powers is less beneficial to the player than firing the powers themselves... Assuming the player knows what they're doing. Surfing it differently doesn't change this.

• ViralCore
    ViralCore Posts: 164 Tile Toppler
    Options

Auto play is not going to happen as long as they rely on health pack economy. They also need to avoid pve point farming.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@ViralCore said:
    Auto play is not going to happen as long as they rely on health pack economy. They also need to avoid pve point farming.

I'd be happy with just auto-DDQ

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,175 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Punisher5784 said:

@ViralCore said:

I genuinely don't mean this as sarcastic but why even sit there with the game open? They might as well just give the rewards for free when we log in after the reset time. And if it can pretend we used the required characters for the daily tokens too so we don't have to worry about that either, that would be a bonus. ๐Ÿ™‚

Players ask for more non-competitive content like DDQ all the time, but then don't actually want to play it. Think I might honestly be missing something.

• Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@ViralCore said:

I'd use MORE health packs with autoplay, because the AI isn't as smart lol.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Scofie said:

@Punisher5784 said:

@ViralCore said:

I genuinely don't mean this as sarcastic but why even sit there with the game open? They might as well just give the rewards for free when we log in after the reset time. And if it can pretend we used the required characters for the daily tokens too so we don't have to worry about that either, that would be a bonus. ๐Ÿ™‚

Players ask for more non-competitive content like DDQ all the time, but then don't actually want to play it. Think I might honestly be missing something.

A lot of players don't actually want more content to play, they just want more rewards.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2023
    Options

@Scofie said:

@Punisher5784 said:

@ViralCore said:

It's a fair question. My problem with DDQ vs other modes is I'm forced to use 1/2* characters. Once you're in SCL10, you're not using those characters anymore. The 1/2* nodes take longer to complete than the 3/4* nodes.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,175 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Punisher5784 said:

@Scofie said:

@Punisher5784 said:

@ViralCore said:

It's a fair question. My problem with DDQ vs other modes is I'm forced to use 1/2* characters. Once you're in SCL10, you're not using those characters anymore. The 1/2* nodes take longer to complete than the 3/4* nodes.

Yeah, I understand that. But it's not like they could be much easier. Sometimes I haven't done the 1* or 2* nodes that give Iso-8 because I'm post-Iso and I don't need it but that's once or twice since they revamped DDQ. Sure, it'd be nice to fight different enemies in them, but if it wasn't enough enjoyment for 1 minute or so, I'd not play them.

As an example, I do not enjoy Lightning Rounds. I might play the seed teams, or just one if I need the daily versus quest. I don't understand grinding them for Iso because that's a far worse time investment and for me, not worth it. Other people love them, though!

It's just what people see as worth the effort, I guess. But I still think rewards should be earned and not given based on the passage of time.