NEW FEATURE - Auto-Fire Abilities!

Options
MPQBlaine
MPQBlaine ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 130 Tile Toppler

Starting today, players can Auto-Fire their heroes' abilities once they match the amount of AP needed for each ability. Auto-Fire will be enabled by default for new players. Veteran players can toggle this option on or off in the settings menu.

Tagged:

Comments

• WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 729 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2023
    Options

Why? Just why? 100% unnecessary. Players should already know that firing a power when you get the required ap isn't always the right move because of timing and what not. Again, unnecessary

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,310 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2023
    Options

This has to be one of the biggest waste of development efforts in a long time. There is almost ZERO times when I want something autofired. And how do abilities where you place tiles work? You just let the AI do it? And assuming if two colors are tied it goes middle/left/right? And what if a character gets AP at the same time? Does it go in alphabetical order? Wow. Did not see this coming and definitely won't use it.

So many better Quality of Life changes have been suggested in this forum and the monthly Q&A that I have no idea how this change would jump to the top of the queue.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,992 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2023
    Options

The only time I want 'auto fire' is when I am running a Winfinte team and I hit the winfinite condition and I just want it to speed to the end of the match. In other words, I want an 'auto win' button :)

There is just never another time I'd want this to be active and certainly not for all powers.

@MPQBlaine - What happens when you have 2+ characters with active powers on the same color (ie 2 characters with active Red power). Does it auto fire as soon as the one with the lowest AP cost is met or does it work like the AI where it saves for the highest costed one? Also, will the auto fire spam infinitely (ie if it fires a power that generates enough AP to fire it again will it do so).

KGB

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Somebody is going to have to work out exactly what this does -- all priorities plus edge and corner cases.

This has the potential to be a serious game-çhanger speed-wise, in PvE especially, but also in PvP.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2023
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    Somebody is going to have to work out exactly what this does -- all priorities plus edge and corner cases.

This has the potential to be a serious game-çhanger speed-wise, in PvE especially, but also in PvP.

Yeah I'm already looking forward to the AI firing Omega's yellow instead of Apoc.
    Cause, you know as well as I do, that this was THOROUGHLY playtested.

• Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 723 Critical Contributor
    Options

Add me to the list of those confused by this addition. There is rarely a time when you would want this active.

The ability to be determinative on when and who to hit with specific abilities is one of the BIG advantages we have over the AI.

• KGB
    edited September 2023
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

I thought in Marvel Passive Quest no one interested in top placement ever fired active abilities anymore ;)

KGB

• entrailbucket
    edited September 2023
    Options

@KGB said:

@entrailbucket said:

I thought in Marvel Passive Quest no one interested in top placement ever fired active abilities anymore ;)

KGB

Just a few -- Apocalypse yellow is one, but it's a big one. Several others could be game-changers when fired automatically.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,175 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I'd consider it for all the nodes in DDQ. Should save a bit of time unless I'm trying to hit a daily quest with different colour matches.

Or with Kang/IM40 it might be helpful.

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,315 Site Admin
    Options

To put it simply, this feature sets the AI to fire your abilities exactly how it would work for the AI opponent. So "all priorities plus edge and corner cases" are already pretty well known.

• WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 729 Critical Contributor
    Options

@IceIX said:
    To put it simply, this feature sets the AI to fire your abilities exactly how it would work for the AI opponent. So "all priorities plus edge and corner cases" are already pretty well known.

I know you're just the messenger but that is a terrible selling point.

• Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I know the devs have favoured passive powers to a greater degree recently, but did we really need a feature to make all powers passive?

• meadowsweet
    meadowsweet Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2023
    Options

It would be interesting if players had the abilities to set up "rules" for how to auto-fire powers on their go-to teams they use over and over:
    1) Always fire A's blue power, never B's blue power
    2) Only fire X power after firing Y power; don't fire Y unless you also have enough AP to immediately fire X
    3) Don't fire Z power unless certain conditions have been met (enemy health, special tiles, etc.)

But... that would be EXTREMELY complicated for the devs to include (and players to use), so it's never going to happen. Also, I've just described what's known as 'playing the game'.

It would be nice (and simpler) to be able to toggle individual powers from auto-firing: if I'm playing Okoye & Immortal Hulk, I don't want Hulk auto-firing his red power and hurting himself and teammates even faster.

• KGB
    Options

@IceIX said:

Which presumably also means it doesn't spam powers repeatedly since the AI doesn't either.

KGB

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 671 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2023
    Options

I think I speak for the community when I say
    What, why, what?

I've just updated and made sure this was off

Reminds me of that time I tried to cheer up my family with a box of wasps.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,310 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I feel like the request for "auto play" became confused with "auto fire". I would love for DDQ to be "auto play". Just play the darn thing for me and however long it takes it takes. But with "auto fire", I still have to make the matches and play. Which gains me little.

• MgoBlue51
    MgoBlue51 Posts: 96 Match Maker
    Options

The only "auto fire" type thing I have wanted is the ability to choose to "empty the clip" if possible. Meaning, if I have enough red ap to fire some ability twice, for example... then I can choose to fire it twice. I'm thinking like, I could empty 24 red ap and fire an 8 red power 3 times without hitting the buttons over and over. Not a massive need, but I'd like it.

• entrailbucket
    edited September 2023
    Options

@KGB said:

@entrailbucket said:

KGB

Actually, just to expand a bit further here:

PvE players generally only use passives because it's faster and it's generally not board dependent (so more reliable).

This changes the calculus completely. What they've done here is essentially made everything into a passive, for speed purposes. I expect a lot more active abilities will be usable, in certain very specific team compositions. Figuring out those compositions will be the fun part, which should take a week or two. Then everyone will just be crazy fast, running the same 2 or 3 teams.