Lighting Rounds - bluffed system need to change

Options

Comments

• If you're seeing that many people with Ragnarok, you need to throw a couple of rounds. The matchmaking is based on some formula that figures in how well you've done in recent tournaments. There are still TONS of people without the tournament characters, but your ranking is too high to see them.
  • stun lock with spidey at blue 4 or 5 to beat rags or play a tournament or 2 with some 1* chars to place in the top 100k zone or whatever is lowest. dont toss too many tourneys or you'll start getting matched with too low opponents and it will be hard to get 20 pts per battle.
  • Catalyst wrote:
    stun lock with spidey at blue 4 or 5 to beat rags or play a tournament or 2 with some 1* chars to place in the top 100k zone or whatever is lowest. dont toss too many tourneys or you'll start getting matched with too low opponents and it will be hard to get 20 pts per battle.

True, but even then, you can still place rather high. It takes more fights, but they will generally be against characters with low health. By the end, you'll weep tears of joy for an opponent worth 10+ points, but I have done it.
  • Too bad magneto is mediocre on defense because on offense he's better than ragnarok
  • DumDumDugn wrote:
    Too bad magneto is mediocre on defense because on offense he's better than ragnarok

I agree (currently boycotting the Rags camp an focusing on Magneto icon_e_wink.gif ).

...but only when compared with one activation of their skills...
    The thing with Rags is the extremely low AP cost... I would imagine that people with high level Rags use something like the following strategy (I would):

1. Red stockpile boost
    2. Couple of thunderclaps (collect a ton of green, and other colours from the resulting 4/5-in-rows)
    3. Couple of godlike powers (collect a ton of AP from cascades)
    4. Repeat 2-3, and unleash support characters' abilities from collected other colours...

In terms of "quick-and-dirty", Magneto can't compete with the above...
  • MrMeer wrote:
    DumDumDugn wrote:
    Too bad magneto is mediocre on defense because on offense he's better than ragnarok

I agree (currently boycotting the Rags camp an focusing on Magneto icon_e_wink.gif ).

The thing with Rags is the extremely low AP cost... I would imagine that people with high level Rags use something like the following strategy (I would):

1. Red stockpile boost
    2. Couple of thunderclaps (collect a ton of green, and other colours from the resulting 4/5-in-rows)
    4. Repeat 2-3, and unleash support characters' abilities from collected other colours...

Pretty much that. Ragnarok + either Wolverine or Grey Suit Widow is extremely deadly and effective. Wolverine is a little more effective against high health targets IMO.
  • MrMeer wrote:
    DumDumDugn wrote:

1. Red stockpile boost

How about a 10k damage nuke on turn 2 or chaining a 5 blue into a critical, matched into tiles, into silliness

mags needs that boost though; in regular unboosted fights the rag steamroll is easier
  • Yup, I definitely been on the receiving end of such a strategy icon_redface.gif
    ...you're lucky to get a couple turns in before you're wiped out...

But (no disrespect), but doesn't the game get boring at some point with such a Rags strategy? There's no finesse, just quick smashing... You could practically do it with your eyes closed...

This is why I'm going with C.Magneto: much more finesse and board assessment involved with his blue ability, and choosing optimal timing for using his pink.

You may not win matches as quickly or as consistently, but at least the game is not mundane... icon_e_wink.gif
  • MrMeer wrote:
    Yup, I definitely been on the receiving end of such a strategy icon_redface.gif
    ...you're lucky to get a couple turns in before you're wiped out...

But (no disrespect), but doesn't the game get boring at some point with such a Rags strategy? There's no finesse, just quick smashing... You could practically do it with your eyes closed...

This is why I'm going with C.Magneto: much more finesse and board assessment involved with his blue ability, and choosing optimal timing for using his pink.

You may not win matches as quickly or as consistently, but at least the game is not mundane... icon_e_wink.gif
    To be honest, it's better than the AI getting constant miracle chain 6s and unloading AP abilities on you by the third turn. At this point, the fewer moves the AI can make the happier I am.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Misguided wrote:
    If you're seeing that many people with Ragnarok, you need to throw a couple of rounds. The matchmaking is based on some formula that figures in how well you've done in recent tournaments. There are still TONS of people without the tournament characters, but your ranking is too high to see them.
    I've been just looting the token at 50 and then stopping, but my matchmaking is still giving me maxed thors and c storms out the wazoo. Maybe I should try forfeiting?
  • Spoit wrote:
    Misguided wrote:
    If you're seeing that many people with Ragnarok, you need to throw a couple of rounds. The matchmaking is based on some formula that figures in how well you've done in recent tournaments. There are still TONS of people without the tournament characters, but your ranking is too high to see them.
    I've been just looting the token at 50 and then stopping, but my matchmaking is still giving me maxed thors and c storms out the wazoo. Maybe I should try forfeiting?

Yes, attack a team, immediately withdraw, and then yield. Works even better if you use some of your lowest level characters since 1) you don't care about their health loss, 2) you're more likely to be attacked by others with the massively **** team you have.

And then attack/withdraw/yield anyone who does attack you.
  • After a few rounds of lighting again...
    I seriously feel damn demoralizing again...just too bluffed for those villains.
    I can't even touch them at all which made me spend token on the Diabolical 2x..
    By the time i realize it...it's too late.. icon_rolleyes.gif

I got doctor Doom Black and Loki Purple (I just dump almost all his to gain token...now i am stuck with this card...lol)

damn you lighting rounds...I hate you so much.. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Trust me..once i got Rag Red power I will just freaking take my time to play this damn lighting round game...I won't spend on HP to up his power level.
    I just need his 1 red power cover i am done with the damn lighting round. Especially his round until my villains are strong enough to play with those high levels ones.

icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif
  • Zathrus wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Misguided wrote:

Yes, attack a team, immediately withdraw, and then yield. Works even better if you use some of your lowest level characters since 1) you don't care about their health loss, 2) you're more likely to be attacked by others with the massively **** team you have.

And then attack/withdraw/yield anyone who does attack you.

I wouldn't even bother to be honest. Matchmaking is only half the issue, I just had a whole round of fighting B@CON M@GIC etc due to my low rankings, which was great until I got to about 200 points. Then my team became easy prey to all the players with high 3*s and I was losing 50points a minute as I was seen as an easy prey to everyone with high level villians, sure I could try and retaliate for 50points per match but there is no way that my LVL 15 villian, plus any two other characters can even compete against the teams of three LVL70+ 3* villians that were attacking me. Sadly the only way I have ever been able to place in a Lightning tourney is by staying up late and trying when most of the player base is asleep.
  • If your ranking is really low, you shouldn't see many people with high level 3* villains. Are you sure your ranking is that low? It is possible to see some of those seed characters at the start of a round even if your raing is decent.
  • Misguided wrote:
    If your ranking is really low, you shouldn't see many people with high level 3* villains. Are you sure your ranking is that low? It is possible to see some of those seed characters at the start of a round even if your raing is decent.

The problem wasn't with me seeing 3* teams. My matchmaking teams were pretty much all seeds and other low teams throughout the whole round. However, as my points rise, my team starts appearing on other peoples devices - including all those people with high 3* characters - and they attack me cause I'm worth 15ish points to them and they can dispatch me in less than 30seconds and I would be stupid to retaliate.
  • Misguided wrote:
    If your ranking is really low, you shouldn't see many people with high level 3* villains. Are you sure your ranking is that low? It is possible to see some of those seed characters at the start of a round even if your raing is decent.

The problem wasn't with me seeing 3* teams. My matchmaking teams were pretty much all seeds and other low teams throughout the whole round. However, as my points rise, my team starts appearing on other peoples devices - including all those people with high 3* characters - and they attack me cause I'm worth 15ish points to them and they can dispatch me in less than 30seconds and I would be stupid to retaliate.

I doesn't work that way in my experience. If your ranking is low, you shouldn't show up on their lists, regardless of how many points you have, unless they have also been tanking their rating, which is possible, or your ranking isn't as low as you think. Unless something has changed with the matchmaking...
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,315 Site Admin
    Options
    Misguided wrote:
    I doesn't work that way in my experience. If your ranking is low, you shouldn't show up on their lists, regardless of how many points you have, unless they have also been tanking their rating, which is possible, or your ranking isn't as low as you think. Unless something has changed with the matchmaking...
    Nope, matchmaking hasn't changed.
  • Misguided wrote:

They must be tanking their ratings then I guess.
  • Misguided wrote:
    panthroq wrote:
    It is not possible to get top 50 in any event without high level 3* heroes. It used to be Thor was enough, but there are so many max level Iron Man 40, spiderman, rag, it's impossible. The only exception would be if a high amount of 2* had large buffs, but it seems 3* gets the same buffs for every event.

The lightning races are the same people with maxed covers winning over and over again for the hero points. I have 2 high level (64 loki, 50 mag) 3* and struggle to make top 50 because I don't have Rag. 6 reds turn one (with boosts) with a 2 AP skill is impossible to defend. Don't even need to mention the 20k hps... Totally absurd.

Thor and Rag have inherently broken mechanics and should be nerfed or removed.

First off, Welcome to the board.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree strongly. I broke into top 8 in a Ragnarok LR last week without any 3* characters (other than the default one they give you). It is true that it is easier with (as I just finished saying), but it absolutely can be done. I've had decent success in the other tournaments prior to that, again without those characters. If you are struggling to make top 50 in a lightning round with two mid-level buffed characters, I'd suggest perhaps you should reassess your tactics.

Have a look at this thread. Some of the top players are on this forum. You can see where they talk about finishing up the covers they need and how they will be bowing out of various rounds.

Don't be such a smug know-it-all dude sitting in your tower with your 3* villains! If you have a buffed villain you win more buffed villain packs. Don't have a buffed villain and you're sailing down sh*t creek without a paddle! End of! No discussion! Turn the feckin health boosts off!!! Marvel Skip Quest at its best!
  • All these guys are asking for is a chance to compete! I was lucky enough to play this game from the start so like a lot of dudes it was easier to win diabolical packs and the event cards but the longer the game progresses the higher the levels raise and the health boost just blows the newer guys out of the water! Lol this is the message I've been asked to put on the boards from my mates who have started in the last 2-3 weeks! I know you guys with your Rag's are enjoying bossing everyone around but you can surely see it isn't a fair fight!? I have a Rag and a Mag and it's a chore to fight other Rag's but as I said my other mates can't even compete to win a Rag or a Mag and the free character isn't helping! Its all good pointing people towards tips to play the game but these guys know how to play and even if they get to Level 85 Thor with his 5500 health + Storm vs 20000 Rag + 10000 Mag and their mega cascades it just committing puzzle harakiri!