Purple Man (Zebediah Killgrave) 4*

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,561 Chairperson of the Boards

@Pantera236 said:
    So if you brought 14 purple ap, and with supports and ap boosts you can, you could stun/control 2 enemies and let the 3rd enemy down their teammates.

I was just doing some testing on him...you can't do this. He can only Control one enemy at a time. If you've got one guy stunned and you fire this power at a different guy, it'll stun that guy and un-stun the first one.

• Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor

@entrailbucket said:

@Pantera236 said:
    So if you brought 14 purple ap, and with supports and ap boosts you can, you could stun/control 2 enemies and let the 3rd enemy down their teammates.

I was just doing some testing on him...you can't do this. He can only Control one enemy at a time. If you've got one guy stunned and you fire this power at a different guy, it'll stun that guy and un-stun the first one.

That's a shame. Wasn't expecting it to be something meta but thought it would be funny.

• pepitedechocolat
    pepitedechocolat Posts: 232 Tile Toppler

@S0kun said:
    Just a small update that Purple Man's stats got a slight adjustment today so I've updated his numbers on the character page. Most notably there were some adjustments to make him a little quicker and his Black Ability went from 8 to 7.

My first impression is that he needs to be nerfed below ground. he may not be such and issue because low hitpoints, but increased AP + match damage reflect is recipe for stupid healthpack use.

I bet that is why you reduced its hp to the ground (below 10k), but you should add a condition to AP steal/increase like "having a friendly countdown/repeater tile on board".

With support in PVP an early fire of purple seems like a very unfun game.

• Gymp28
    Gymp28 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    edited 6 September 2024, 17:49

My take is he’s very thematic to his character traits (nice work Broken Circle) and should be quite a bit of fun to experiment with.
    It makes a nice change to have a character that can’t tank vs all the ones that need to tank in order to function correctly.
    We don’t talk about Gwenom, she was a bit of a failed attempt at this…
    Clearly he pairs well with immortal characters like Chasm, iShe-Hulk and iHulk, so that’s enough to earn him instant infamy and dislike I’d imagine 😂
    Clearly better once ascended and more durable, but I feel that pretty much goes without saying for all characters (with a few notable exceptions)

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,682 Chairperson of the Boards

My 458 Nova’s random dmg in yellow is almost enough to one-shot a 270 Purple Man, if it targeted him.

I guess he counters him? Also lots of passive dmg and red AP cost drops with more CDs out.

Interesting to consider them releasing close together.

• Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker

Yeah, I see that. I don’t understand why it says there would be no status chang. There is a stun component to the power. That makes no sense.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,689 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 8 September 2024, 15:55

@Jash735 said:

@DAZ0273 said:
    Another Welcome to SHIELD where we have a useless power meaning you can't get some of the purple power uses done on the first node.

Devs, please do something about this! There is ABSOLUTELY no reason for this mechanic. The entire point of Welcome to SHIELD is to train new character powers. When an entire skill set is completely nullified it defeats the purpose…

I disagree, to some extent. I think the point is to get people excited about the character, to show them off.

That being said, we're still talking about the same result. We have a Welcome to SHIELD node that, at best, is an incomplete depiction of what makes the character good. At worst, it leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth and kills any enthusiasm for the character.

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards

Welcome to Shield is about introducing you to the new powers of a character, it is fine if you want to restrict stuns or anything else from other characters, but the new character should be completely usable in the nodes where they are a required character.

In the case of this character, at least let us fire the power and the stun do nothing, so we can clear out the event quests while we grind out another tedious 1v1 with a needlessly handicapped support character's powerset.

• entrailbucket

@Borstock said:

@Jash735 said:

@DAZ0273 said:
    Another Welcome to SHIELD where we have a useless power meaning you can't get some of the purple power uses done on the first node.

Devs, please do something about this! There is ABSOLUTELY no reason for this mechanic. The entire point of Welcome to SHIELD is to train new character powers. When an entire skill set is completely nullified it defeats the purpose…

I disagree, to some extent. I think the point is to get people excited about the character, to show them off.

That being said, we're still talking about the same result. We have a Welcome to SHIELD node that, at best, is an incomplete depiction of what makes the character good. At worst, it leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth and kills any enthusiasm for the character.

Close. The point is to get you to spend money on the new guy!

And they continue to create fights that won't encourage anybody to buy the new guy. It's maddening. It's less fun for us, and it does them no favors for revenue.

• Borstock

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

@Jash735 said:

@DAZ0273 said:

And they continue to create fights that won't encourage anybody to buy the new guy. It's maddening. It's less fun for us, and it does them no favors for revenue.

Maybe. But wouldn't you be more likely to spend money on a character that is fun and/or good? You can always brute force the 1v1. Might be a few losses, but you'll get there. In the meantime, you're getting more and more frustrated. Personally, I've only ever spent money on the fun ones. So, make SHIELD training fun

• entrailbucket

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

@Jash735 said:

@DAZ0273 said:

Maybe. But wouldn't you be more likely to spend money on a character that is fun and/or good? You can always brute force the 1v1. Might be a few losses, but you'll get there. In the meantime, you're getting more and more frustrated. Personally, I've only ever spent money on the fun ones. So, make SHIELD training fun

No, we're really saying the same thing. I was just going a bit further -- they want you to have fun so you'll give them money!

• Borstock

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

@Jash735 said:

@DAZ0273 said:

No, we're really saying the same thing. I was just going a bit further -- they want you to have fun so you'll give them money!

Ok. Then they should make it...ya know... fun.

• entrailbucket

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

@Jash735 said:

@DAZ0273 said:

Ok. Then they should make it...ya know... fun.

Yeah sorry. Let me restate the entire thing.

I don't believe that they purposely make these fights hard so you'll have to buy the character to win them. That might work on some of us, but I really really really doubt it works on the masses of lower level players, and that's who keeps the lights on.

When they have the training events or feature a character in PvP or PvE with a loaner, I think the point of that is to show players that the new character is powerful or fun. The lower tier players are probably much more likely to respond to that.

The problem is that these often end up not being showcases at all. Why would some brand new player buy this guy if he looks weak or doesn't do anything at all? Making them fun and making the guy look powerful will increase sales.

• crakker
    crakker Posts: 39 Just Dropped In

@Crowl said:

so we can clear out the event quests while we grind out another tedious 1v1

I won the 1v1 with two powers and did the grinding with the other nodes. Unlike the last time when I completely gave up on the first node after numerous tries.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,682 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 9 September 2024, 00:28

The “no stun” thing is probably coded into the node and would require work to remove. Time the devs scarcely have as they continue developing characters, costumes, working on the new game engine, etc.

I’m not sure what the no-stun rule was added, exactly, other than a TU stun would lock the opponent down even if the featured character didn’t stun and would reduce the player’s ability (and possibly interest) to try them out.

But ! You say. The fights are often unfair. The opponents often walk all over us, or we walk all over them and you can’t really tell what’s going on. The fights don’t seem curated by canon nor are they a good match up due to ability interactions.

This is what I’d call a design flaw (some might call it low-effort).

Again I’d say if you could just bring a 4 turn Polaris stun into the fight many would probably just focus on doing that to get through it. So I can see a rationale for why it is how it is, while not enjoying it.

• pepitedechocolat
    pepitedechocolat Posts: 232 Tile Toppler

@bluewolf said:
    Again I’d say if you could just bring a 4 turn Polaris stun into the fight many would probably just focus on doing that to get through it. So I can see a rationale for why it is how it is, while not enjoying it.

that is a barely reasonable rationale. Player could bring a 30k nuke TU and stomp the node (AKA the annihilus tactic)

But saying that, I imagine some veteran game designer will add 'no TU' as rule for the node instead of understanding the issue...

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards

The annoying thing for me is not being able to fire his Purple for the event quests when his other powers did Purple creation. But to get back on topic (there's a thread on issues with Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D elsewhere), I like him and think he's the first character ever that I'm going to chase.