Purple Man (Zebediah Killgrave) 4*

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,561 Chairperson of the Boards

@KGB said:

@Pantera236 said:
    So if you brought 14 purple ap, and with supports and ap boosts you can, you could stun/control 2 enemies and let the 3rd enemy down their teammates.

Yes, but it only last 4 turns so how much match damage can be done to them in that time by the remaining 3rd enemy?

I suspect there are far better uses for 14 purple AP (you could outright win a match with Whales for example or use in conjunction with Aunt May and potentially down all 3 on turn 0).

KGB

Gotta be a little careful with this line of thinking -- that's how you end up at "why would you bring any character with a red ability besides Shang-Chi" or something.

I agree with you here though. That's an awful lot of AP boost/etc to get very little effect.

I still don't think Kilgrave is bad! He has an improved version of the Peggy passive, plus 2* Hawkeye's old hiding passive, plus a stun...and I think that black repeater thing is gonna end up pretty killer at high enough levels.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,682 Chairperson of the Boards

I think Purplepuss seems fine, pretty good overall. A fairly interesting combination reflective of the character.

I know people will eventually figure him out but there's an element here of accidentally overselling a bit...always better to over-explain a little imo. Helps avoid disappointment coloring reaction to the character.

Lastly we here are mostly longtime vets etc but it's worth remembering that if you are newer to the game, new 4s are far easier to complete thanks to PVE reward weighting and hence they should be evaluated for those people a bit more in a vacuum vs against the vast array of existing 4s which newer folks are probably many covers and lots of iso away from finishing. He has a lot of anti-meta potential which will be extremely valuable to many players.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,157 Chairperson of the Boards

@entrailbucket said:

@KGB said:

@Pantera236 said:
    So if you brought 14 purple ap, and with supports and ap boosts you can, you could stun/control 2 enemies and let the 3rd enemy down their teammates.

Yes, but it only last 4 turns so how much match damage can be done to them in that time by the remaining 3rd enemy?

I suspect there are far better uses for 14 purple AP (you could outright win a match with Whales for example or use in conjunction with Aunt May and potentially down all 3 on turn 0).

KGB

Gotta be a little careful with this line of thinking -- that's how you end up at "why would you bring any character with a red ability besides Shang-Chi" or something.

I agree with you here though. That's an awful lot of AP boost/etc to get very little effect.

I still don't think Kilgrave is bad! He has an improved version of the Peggy passive, plus 2* Hawkeye's old hiding passive, plus a stun...and I think that black repeater thing is gonna end up pretty killer at high enough levels.

I agree with you. I think he's a solid character who will find some play with that passive that increases AP costs.

I also think the Black power when ascended will be very useful against MThor. Even at 370 each repeater does 2K damage so once ascended I presume it will move up into the 3-6K range (450-550) before being boosted. Since each time MThor destroys one with her passive all the others tick down she could easily end up eating 8 of these in one turn if she destroys 2 others which would be 25-50K damage and since they are repeaters they would respawn so there would be 8 more ready to be destroyed the next turn or next time she fires a power.

KGB

• MgoBlue51
    MgoBlue51 Posts: 107 Tile Toppler

Gotta admit, that extra match damage passive looks dumb now. I get the thinking behind it. Just tough to justify a character as only truly useful once ascended. Shaw was the same way. Interesting mechanic, but at low levels/non ascended, he doesn't last long. I'll do my best to play around with him in lower level pve matches I guess, but pvp will not be kind to him for a long time.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,689 Chairperson of the Boards

@MgoBlue51 said:
    Gotta admit, that extra match damage passive looks dumb now. I get the thinking behind it. Just tough to justify a character as only truly useful once ascended. Shaw was the same way. Interesting mechanic, but at low levels/non ascended, he doesn't last long. I'll do my best to play around with him in lower level pve matches I guess, but pvp will not be kind to him for a long time.

I disagree about the match DMG. I think it only plays at the 4* level. At the 5* level, we have characters that do the match damage thing better. There are 4* characters most people will have further along through ascension that do it better.

His usefulness post-ascension will be largely based on his other powers, IMO.

• entrailbucket

@MgoBlue51 said:

I assume you're a relatively high level 5* player. Should most characters be useful to folks like us at low levels/not ascended? How long is that list now? What would the game look like if every new character was immediately useful, at any level, to players like us?

• Borstock

@entrailbucket said:

@MgoBlue51 said:

I assume you're a relatively high level 5* player. Should most characters be useful to folks like us at low levels/not ascended? How long is that list now? What would the game look like if every new character was immediately useful, at any level, to players like us?

It would be nice to get excited about a new character release. Haven't felt that way for a while.

But you're probably correct. A 4* doesn't need to be immediately useful to 5* players.

• entrailbucket

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

@MgoBlue51 said:

It would be nice to get excited about a new character release. Haven't felt that way for a while.

But you're probably correct. A 4* doesn't need to be immediately useful to 5* players.

I was actually asking though. Like, I totally understand wanting a new character to contribute something immediately. You're chasing the guy, maybe spending money, using or buying a roster slot -- those are real costs. If what you get at the end is a guy who you can maybe do something with in a year or more, that's a letdown.

But the other side of it is that they release 3 new characters every month, right (and they have to, forever, to keep revenues where they need to be)? So what does the game look like if they're continually power creeping to that level? If you're a 5* player with some high level guys, how would it feel to have them obsoleted that fast? You also worked hard, spent, hoarded, whatever to build up your older guys!

I just think it's not that simple.

• Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 329 Mover and Shaker

There's a lack of critical thinking going on saying not useful unless ascended because of his match damage boost.

The point is he's going to hide behind his teammates and all the match damage his teammates take goes to the toon he stunned. His match damage boost is not designed to make his teammates much stronger. It's not the theme or flavor of the toon. It was a means to an end to keep him from tanking by making his teammates a bit stronger than him.

It's unneeded anyways as even if he does tank a color, like TU for example which could happen if he's the highest level toon on your team, the other part of the passive will moves a teammate to the front when he would take damage anyways.

If he is one of the highest level toons on the team, and the other toons are weak in his colors, then perhaps his boost can give a nice match damage boost in those colors. But to consider match damage boost as one of his key abilities that he is designed to have is just silly.

This is an interesting kit that may be useful even before ascending. Would be nice to be able to see the numbers on 4a5 though.

• bluewolf

I can’t remember if the feeder chart was completely blank before. But it seems like no one feeds him as no one got any free covers. And he could well feed no one based on him being a selfish jerk.

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    edited 5 September 2024, 16:56

@MgoBlue51 said:

We've had a slew of characters that benefit off tanking: Nova, Kaine Parker, May Parker, Phylla. Not to mention characters like Colossus and Shang Chi who rely mostly on match damage.

Even in 4-star land you have Chavez, Talos, Ikaris and so many more which I can't think of right now. Add in supports like F4 car, Implanted Bomb and you can do a lot just by making one match.

• Borstock

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

@MgoBlue51 said:

I was actually asking though. Like, I totally understand wanting a new character to contribute something immediately. You're chasing the guy, maybe spending money, using or buying a roster slot -- those are real costs. If what you get at the end is a guy who you can maybe do something with in a year or more, that's a letdown.

But the other side of it is that they release 3 new characters every month, right (and they have to, forever, to keep revenues where they need to be)? So what does the game look like if they're continually power creeping to that level? If you're a 5* player with some high level guys, how would it feel to have them obsoleted that fast? You also worked hard, spent, hoarded, whatever to build up your older guys!

I'm a high level 5* player and a lot of the opponents I see in PvP have huge newly released and boosted 5* characters. It already feels like most of my teams are obsolete when I'm facing a 672 5* who hasn't even landed in Latest.

• entrailbucket
    edited 5 September 2024, 19:39

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

@MgoBlue51 said:

I'm a high level 5* player and a lot of the opponents I see in PvP have huge newly released and boosted 5* characters. It already feels like most of my teams are obsolete when I'm facing a 672 5* who hasn't even landed in Latest.

I think that's a different thing. Players here seem to be asking for new characters to be stronger than all their existing guys when the new guys are still at 450 (or 270).

I do understand what you're saying though.

• Borstock

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

@MgoBlue51 said:

I think that's a different thing. Players here seem to be asking for new characters to be stronger than all their existing guys when the new guys are still at 450 (or 270).

I do understand what you're saying though.

What I want is fun characters. I love mThor because she's one of the most fun characters in the game. She's also a glass cannon, though. High level rosters, which is all I face, can destroy her pretty easily. I also love Moon Girl/Dino. I love MeHulk. I just haven't been getting the "fun" vibe for a while. That's my only real complaint. I am excited for a certain 5* that got leaked, assuming the leak was accurate and she hasn't changed.

• Hellblazer666
    Hellblazer666 Posts: 164 Tile Toppler

@bluewolf said:
    I can’t remember if the feeder chart was completely blank before. But it seems like no one feeds him as no one got any free covers. And he could well feed no one based on him being a selfish jerk.

yes out of the last 4-5 new characters we didn't get any free covers for Hotpool or Purple Man

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,010 Chairperson of the Boards

@Hellblazer666 said:

@bluewolf said:

yes out of the last 4-5 new characters we didn't get any free covers for Hotpool or Purple Man

I could swear I got retro covers for Hotpool...

• bluewolf

@MegaBee said:

@Hellblazer666 said:

@bluewolf said:

I could swear I got retro covers for Hotpool...

Hotpool is fed by Dr. Bong….he was kind of neglected in pve rewards when Latests and hence probably not as many people as usual got retro covers.

• WhiteBomber
    WhiteBomber Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker

Hurray for immediate buffs.

If you lock a countdown tile, does it stay at the current time? Perhaps you could perma-stun someone that way? Kang will of course increase the stun by 1 for free, but the color overlap might be too much of a downer.

• entrailbucket

@WhiteBomber said:
    Hurray for immediate buffs.

If you lock a countdown tile, does it stay at the current time? Perhaps you could perma-stun someone that way? Kang will of course increase the stun by 1 for free, but the color overlap might be too much of a downer.

(Worst possible answer incoming) -- I think it depends on who locked it. I think if you bubble a special tile with IW, the game just pretends it doesn't exist until the bubble is gone.