Discussion on retro rewards policy in regard to character ascension

Options
System
System Posts: 1,026 Chairperson of the Boards
edited 9 January 2024, 03:38 in MPQ General Discussion
This discussion was created from comments split from: New Character: X-23 (Weapon Hex) 5*.

Comments

• SourCream
    SourCream Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options

@S0kun

Stated before, players will ask.
    So might as well, ask again.
    How about players with ascended X-23, will retro be given ?

I know the player base with ascended is small, but kinda blows using the ascend feature and lose out on a nearly covered 5*. In my case, I ascended X-23 and still have another copy as a 4* ... like how ? Just apply rewards to the 4* and not use ascension ?

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 222 Tile Toppler
    Options

I completely disagree, it has been stated it was a one time exception what happened with Nico and hunter. I would be pretty annoyed if they go back on this once again.

• Hammer3001
    Hammer3001 Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    Options

I’m glad I ascended X-23.
    I already have several covers for a new 4*, and between the 200 - 300 LTs & 1400 CPs I’ll have next month (more if the next batch of ascension arrives), I should have her championed by March, April at the latest.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,507 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 8 January 2024, 19:47
    Options

@Codex said:
    I completely disagree, it has been stated it was a one time exception what happened with Nico and hunter. I would be pretty annoyed if they go back on this once again.

I'm not pretty annoyed at the loss of 12 covers. I'm honest-to-goodness angry. She was the boosted 4-star in a PVE not two months ago!!!! That's the only reason I ascended her. She's not a great character and I knew that the chance of me ever using her again was unlikely, but I figured, "Hey, she already feeds 5* Daken, whom no one else feeds and there's no one really good to feed, so they won't change her."

Wow, what a mistake that was! So basically, here's the rule, ascend a character only if:

• they feed a 5* version of that character
    • you are certain you're going to use them in the future, and probably use them often (e.g. Coulson, Nico.)

Otherwise you really should give the whole system a miss. Would it be fun to try a new combination? Too bad, it's far too risky, don't do it. Ignore the whole thing, the possibility of losing out on future rewards (big future rewards,) is too great.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,561 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@ThisisClemFandango said:
    Now who had "angry because I've ascended and want to have what everyone else gets" on their mpq bingo card?
    I knew this was coming weeks ago and I've stocked up popcorn ready for this armageddon.
    I'm gonna enjoy this

Once it happened with Nico, I knew this was coming.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,507 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Borstock said:

@ThisisClemFandango said:
    Now who had "angry because I've ascended and want to have what everyone else gets" on their mpq bingo card?
    I knew this was coming weeks ago and I've stocked up popcorn ready for this armageddon.
    I'm gonna enjoy this

Once it happened with Nico, I knew this was coming.

I honest to goodness would not have ascended her if she wasn't the featured 4*. I even thought hard about it before pressing that button. That's what I get for trying to have fun with the game.

• Codex
    Options

Wow, what a mistake that was! So basically, here's the rule, ascend a character only if:

• you are certain you're going to use them in the future, and probably use them often (e.g. Coulson, Nico.)

Otherwise you really should give the whole system a miss. Would it be fun to try a new combination? Too bad, it's far too risky, don't do it. Ignore the whole thing, the possibility of losing out on future rewards (big future rewards,) is too great.

There another solution, have 3 copies of maxed champed before ascending. That way at a minimum you would get 6 retro rewards if changed like this.

• liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I really, really thought she was safe to ascend. I hate this game sometimes.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Codex said:

There another solution, have 3 copies of maxed champed before ascending. That way at a minimum you would get 6 retro rewards if changed like this.

We'll come back in 15 years and see how well everyone is doing trying to make this a thing lol

• LFChikarason
    LFChikarason Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I'm gonna be bummed if my ascended X-23 doesn't feed the new one, but I'll somehow get over it. This is not incentivizing ascending folks...

• St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 607 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Codex said:

Although in this case, folks may have Ascended X23 since she was a feeder for Samurai Daken.

This no retro feeders for Ascended is maddening because it discourages players from advancing their rosters. And if a feeder is changed, then you still don't get the retro rewards other players do, then when can you safely Ascend anyone?

• liminal_lad
    Options

@Codex said:

Would it impact you in any meaningful way if they did?

• liminal_lad
    Options

I would love to be able to ascend Rocket but with these shenanigans it’s not going to happen until he’s feeding a five. Same with Red Hulk. As others have said, it’s strange to disincentivize a major game feature like this.

• Codex
    Options

@St_Bernadus said:

@Codex said:

Although in this case, folks may have Ascended X23 since she was a feeder for Samurai Daken.

This no retro feeders for Ascended is maddening because it discourages players from advancing their rosters. And if a feeder is changed, then you still don't get the retro rewards other players do, then when can you safely Ascend anyone?

Do you think it was fair for them to award player 12 covers of hunter regardless on level of the 2nd Nico? Maybe you want another 12 covers for x-23?

I saw so many ascended nico players complaining about that compensation.sarcasm

Here is a solution maybe get rid of all retro rewards completely.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,723 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

You knew the rules and you made your choice, deal with it. I would love to join in with ascended Grocket but a feeder is more important to me.

Quite why anyone would ascend X23 because she was featured in pve is beyond my levels of what I consider fun in this game.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,723 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@jp1 said:

but surely you can appreciate that if a character already was feeding a 5* this is a situation one might not consider while button mashing?

No because I've seen them time and time again change the direction of the feeder for the 5* to make more sense. This is not the first time and feeder path has been changed and it won't be the last. Sure I wish they were all set in stone but people kept complaining about character A not being the right feeder for Character B.

This game has never rewarded jumping in. Hoarding and waiting always pay off. Even my thousands and thousands of standard tokens paid off in the end! Same for support tokens, CP, LT and so on.

I agree the implementation isn't ideal but the position was still stated on day 1.