Ascended Winners and Losers

Options
Glockoma
Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
edited December 2023 in MPQ General Discussion

Preface: this thread might be better suited until all characters are eligible, but we just got Polaris eligible so let’s just go with it

Like weekly Fantasy Football matches, each batch of ascended characters has had those we’ve speculated to be amazing picks that throw up a goose egg, or those that have gone relatively unnoticed until we saw them shine seemingly out of nowhere. (Coulson for sure)

Nerfs, buffs, or even just a numbers game, ascended characters have turned rosters on their heads. I’ve read some posts pining to “un-ascend” to former glory while others are completely baffled by how broken the new addition might be.

So, thoughts?
It could be based off or prior reputation, just being old and knocking the dust off, or plain old happy to have some modern health to compete with a cool new costume; I just wanted to start a small thread amongst the community for their picks of the:

3 Overall Winners and 3 Overall Losers in this new era. LFG!!

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

So I haven’t tested all mine out, but offhand my three winners are:

1. Coulson by a country mile
    2. Chavez
    3. Rogue | Carol | Nico are all right around this bucket.

Losers:
    1. Ghost Rider - penance stare got pretty lame
    2. Valkyrie - usable, but her thresholds are very high when she is on par with other 5s
    3.Flaptain (I guess he really just didn’t win, he didn’t get worse or anything)

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Winners:
    1. Coulson by an urban kilometer
    2. 1* Yelena
    3. Karnak / Ghost / any match damage boosted as they were good, but now start so much higher and then increase from there

Losers:
    1. Ghost Rider
    2. Peggy
    3. Valkyrie/Thing/Deadpool due to the massive threshold increases. Still usable, just a shame

• dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    Options

I just like that the meta is getting more interesting with the ascended 4*s.

They also make Boss events even easier.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2023
    Options

It's just a shame they take forever to level.
    Unless you buy the helpful offers, of course.

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options

Coulson, Coulson, Coulson

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 572 Critical Contributor
    Options

I'm very keen to get my hands on a 1star 5juggs - I think he'll be a beast.

• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 950 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Tiger_Wong said:
    Cloak & Dagger (not a big jump in damage. And their yellow/black tile generating was nerfed from 4 to 3)
    Elektra (her purple has a fantastic SAP steal and enhance power. But you can only convert 2 now. And the damage on her other powers is borderline pitiful and seem to have missed the ascension bus)

These numbers aren't changes. Cloak & Dagger always only generated 3 of either color. Elektra always only converted 2 tiles.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Haven't used my Ascended Coulson yet, and don't see him at all in PVP, so is he a menace now in PVE? Is he faster than the current meta or just better than what he was?

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Nope he's not faster in PVE.
    Much better than what he was, though.
    I mean, there might be a meta pve team with him but I don't think anyone found it yet.

• Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2023
    Options

@LavaManLee said:
    Haven't used my Ascended Coulson yet, and don't see him at all in PVP, so is he a menace now in PVE? Is he faster than the current meta or just better than what he was?

Off-season and Polaris just became eligible. She’s likely going to be the most ascended 4* because of how dominant she was in her prior tier; people strived to max her out before entering 5* land. So mostly overshadowing. Most folks are running the boosted BRB with her right now.

But Coulson arguably made the largest jump from being bound to the hips of Hawkeye and Gamora to commanding stand alone stature. Dudes’ cd tile proc from 1 to 5 for every ally power fire is insane. Not to mention he has a good kit for 5* land with some board control.

So far, he is my 1 on 1 overall winner.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,010 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Is Ascended Shuri the partner Heimdal has been waiting for?

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

Not as much as I’d have like her to be, but I haven’t put ascended Panther on the other side yet. That team in pick 3 even when two were 4* would hit really hard. All those board shape characters struggle against Jane though.

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:

JMO but I still think the one for Heimdall will be Prowler when he gets ascensionable.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,406 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Tiger_Wong said:

@BriMan2222 said:

JMO but I still think the one for Heimdall will be Prowler when he gets ascensionable.

Of the 4*s Prowler, Lizard, Shuri, Black Cat, Vulture, and Throg were all viable partners when I was using Heimdal a lot. You can probably add Ikaris to the list as well.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited December 2023
    Options

Black Panther and Emma Frost do fort spam as well. he would probably be pretty wild with Coulson and Hawkeye in pick3 now too. Pretty much maximum overlap on colors, but the AP earn and passive cd creation/fortification should do what you want there.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,406 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

His best partners are not only fortifiers, but characters that do things while being airborne or returning from airborne. 4* Throg and Vulture become a legit terror and my best team when I transitioned.
    Because, he can send them airborne every turn and can heal himself every turn. Vulture starts nuking the enemy team with his green.
    Heimdall has a lot of viable teams now that 4s can be ascended.

• jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Ascended and boosted Main Event Hulk’s yellow does like 32 team damage. That’s not a typo…32.

This has to be a bug. The power description of him without the boost lists it at 2588, which is still awful, but not a 1* level power.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,713 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2023
    Options

Good there has to be some negative to him having twice the health of the current boosted 5*'s! Going to start ascending early and forget the extra rewards just to take advantage of this complete cluster ****.