Support Shards System

Options
S0kun
S0kun ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker

We're excited to announce the new Support Shards system that will improve player experience in catching them all! Head over to our latest blog for full details on what you can expect from this exciting new update to the game!

https://d3go.com/support-shards/

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,669 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

This goes live next week?

Thanks for the thread @S0kun

• S0kun
    Options

@DAZ0273 said:
    This goes live next week?

Thanks for the thread @S0kun

When R292 goes live so likely, but not guaranteed.

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,270 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

This is... super underwhelming. Its something, but its still gonna be way too slow to achieve anything.

• WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 721 Critical Contributor
    Options

@KGB said:
    Biggest question not answered there is:

Can you favorite supports you don't have yet like you can with characters (the tables (specifically How Many Shards to Rank Up) don't show any way or amount of shards needed to go from unowned to R1)?

KGB

Same question I have. No mention of it at all in the write-up.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,974 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@sinnerjfl said:
    This is... super underwhelming. Its something, but its still gonna be way too slow to achieve anything.

Depends on whether you started hoarding or not a few months (a year?) ago when they announced this was going to happen.

I have a couple hundred tokens now between the 3 types. I should be able to easily take the R3 power stone to R5 and do something similar for another L3 or L4 support.

There are probably 10 supports that truly matter right now so it won't take long to get them all to R5.

KGB

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,723 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

They said before that they would rebalance supports for pvp but leave them as they are for PVE so as not to ruin a support we have used in PVE for years. Is this still true?

• JimboJambo
    JimboJambo Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options

There's an error regarding the number of wildcard shards you get for a duplicate rank 5 support. It says 1400 in one place, then 1600 in the table. 1400 is probably correct based on the other information provided.

• WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 721 Critical Contributor
    Options

The red heart to select your favorite support looks good.

• Zarqa
    Zarqa Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2023
    Options

@JimboJambo said:
    There's an error regarding the number of wildcard shards you get for a duplicate rank 5 support. It says 1400 in one place, then 1600 in the table. 1400 is probably correct based on the other information provided.

I don’t think so. It takes 1600 shards to go from rank 4 to rank 5 (that is what is in the table). However, if you get a duplicate 5 support, you get 1400 shards (the equivalent of rostering another support from R1 to R4).

Edit: I’m wrong, I just saw that the second table has 1600. You’re correct that it’s confusing.

• S0kun
    Options

@JimboJambo said:

Good eye! Thanks for pointing it out. I've updated it to 1400.

• allen_koholic
    allen_koholic Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options

Two things - are the support specific tokens handled the same way? Second, I seem to recall someone with a measure of authority saying that hoarding support tokens wouldn’t matter with how these were going to be implemented. I’m glad I didn’t listen to that.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,561 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Only been hoarding support tokens a little while, but I have 87-21-8. I hope that amounts to something shiny.

• turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 769 Critical Contributor
    Options

Would have loved to see some kind of shardmas for this, I must have opened 100s of support tokens which ended with me just getting red ISO

Would also have liked a way to use red ISO to purchase tokens

I have millions of red ISO I can’t use on anything same as I have millions of purple ISO that I can’t use on anything in game too

• skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 974 Critical Contributor
    Options

From Discord:

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,974 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2023
    Options

@meadowsweet said:
    So uh... spoiler alert: it's still going to take years to level up your Supports and you're still probably just as likely to randomly just draw a 5★ Support than pull enough duplicates to Shard it up to 5★ (assuming the rates of Support Token pulls remain the same as before.)

300 Beginner Token pulls are probably your best bet, especially as they continue to release new Supports and dilution becomes more and more of a problem for duplicates and wildcards?

It's not quite as bad as it looks because you collect from multiple categories at once.

For example if you open a beginner support you get 10 wildcard shards. If you then get a duplicate you get another 10 shards of the duplicate which may not be what you want but still you get 20 shards total unless that's at R5 already in which case you get 5 more wildcard shards.

So to take a R3 (something I have a lot of) to R5 I need 900+1600=2500 which is technically 250 beginners via wildcard shards. But before drawing 250 you'll hit quite a few dupes (there are what, 50 supports total so 5 dupes) which if you hit a couple R2/R3 dups will probably bring it to under 150 beginner tokens.

The place where we should really benefit is Puzzle Ops where the token is a R3-R5 and so you can pick up 180 dup shards if you get unlucky on the 2 draws + any wildcard shards (this article doesn't mention whether Puzzle Op tokens grant these bonus's like regular tokens do but I presume they do (maybe another good question to ask on Discord - @skittledaddy ).

KGB

• meadowsweet
    meadowsweet Posts: 238 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2023
    Options

@KGB said:
    It's not quite as bad as it looks because you collect from multiple categories at once.

Yes, but...

• Support tokens already relatively rare in this game
    • Tokens are most commonly Beginner, not Advanced or Master
    • Beginner Tokens are usually 1★ (55%) or 2★ (33%)
    • Even Master pulls are most likely (62%) to be a 3★ Support
    • Most pulls will be low-level duplicates of existing Supports
    • Duplicates are spread across 20 Supports at any one time (and 60 & counting total)
    • Wildcard payout is halved for maxed duplicates

If I'm trying to max out a Support that's not currently in rotation, I can hoard tokens and wait, but even when it's included, 95% of my pulls are going to be for the other 19 active Supports. Or put another way, to get the 10 duplicates to go just from 1★ to 2★ I would have to make 200 pulls (ignoring the Beginner Token shards.) That is excruciatingly slow progress.

I also think you might be double-counting the wildcard in your comment above. You mention:

• "open a beginner support" = 10
    • "get a duplicate" = 10 (20 total)
    • and then "unless that's at R5 already in which case you get 5 more wildcard shards" = 5 more, or 25 total (if I'm understanding you correctly?)

But that's not my interpretation of what they wrote. I believe it's two separate scenarios:

1. Open beginner (10 'wild') + 1★ duplicate of non-max Support (10 specific) = 20 shards total
    2. Open beginner (10 'wild') + 1★ duplicate of 5★ max Support (5 'wild') = 15 total (all 'wild')

I guess it's good for a whale who already has 60 / 66 Supports maxed out, because they can direct all of their wildcard duplicate shards into a targeted Support of their choosing?