Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Lol wisdom and hard work.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The only player who doesn't need to spend anything is the one playing right from the start.
    Others not having the same luck, if they are competitive and they like this game a lot should had spend relatively more or less amount.
    This game running for 10 years means that effectively a lot of players spend some amount, as gacha games intend to accomplish.
    However making a thread stating an amount of money will make f2p feel a bit nervous, and reject it or not accepting it as the valid source of info it is.
    And that new players can make their way through the dreaded "dilution" which they are always talking about.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,717 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2023
    Options

@bbigler said:
    That’s the biggest problem here, too many people think money has bought my success but I know it hasn’t.

It has and you are deluding yourself and others to think otherwise. Yes your story is a great, well documented tale of what can be achieved with lots of game time and $1200. It is a great piece to show what can be achieved in a year. But let's not kid ourselves here, every single one us knows the difference it would have made to our game if we spent $900 on roster slots in the first year.

Even by my own standards starting earlier, much earlier the £60ish I spent on roster slots made such a huge impact. It meant I could play and open everything all the time. Or if I compare people that started much more recently to me that moderately spend and have far better rosters than me despite very similar game time.

Ever since the dawn of this game the player base has been saying the best spend you can make in this game is in roster slots. Yet you think it has little bearing on your impressive progress?

I'm sorry if that takes a whizz on your much better game wisdom and knowledge, I have little doubt it's much deeper than my own but to try and make out the $900 on roster slots doesn't have a huge bearing on that progress is disingenuous.

I commend your hard work, but it goes hand in hand with that $900. And I don't care what anyone spends, the more the better it is for me and my enjoyment of the game.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Daredevil217 said:
    Well, this took a turn…

;););):D:D:D

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,180 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I actually am mega curious how different the new player experience is with ascension now. I feel like being able to raise 1* characters would be a huge boost to the early game. 1 jump 2 is a great farm, my personal jury is still out on other jump ups. But being stuck at the 1* tier and throwing away covers was pretty wasteful.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    I actually am mega curious how different the new player experience is with ascension now. I feel like being able to raise 1* characters would be a huge boost to the early game. 1 jump 2 is a great farm, my personal jury is still out on other jump ups. But being stuck at the 1* tier and throwing away covers was pretty wasteful.

I'm not sure it helps.
    The rewards until level 144 include 6 Heroics and one Mighty token, but only 290 HP.
    So if anything it might be even worse for rostering everyone if you open all tokens.

• JimboJambo
    JimboJambo Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options

This is a really interesting write up. The key thing that stands out for me is not the money you spent, but that you have been spending 5-6 hours per day on the game. That is a huge time commitment and as you have said, it ultimately leads to burn out. I'd say it is better to encourage new players to settle in for the long haul and take their time, enjoying the experience of progressing through the tiers. That isn't a criticism of your approach though - one of the huge plus points of this game is there are so many different ways to build your roster. And of course those shiny 5 star covers are what everyone wants to be collecting when they start the game.

• Tony_Foot
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:

Well now that they sell the 1* ascended to 5* and you can buy it over and over again I would not be surprised to see more 1* released soon. That must make them decent money and I know people are buying them again and will again. Is there any better spend than that in the game now. Fast access to 5* rewards. I already don't need to spend CP ever to keep up, I will soon be doubling my LT attainment as well.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,955 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@JimboJambo said:
    This is a really interesting write up. The key thing that stands out for me is not the money you spent, but that you have been spending 5-6 hours per day on the game. That is a huge time commitment and as you have said, it ultimately leads to burn out.

This is absolutely the number one takeaway from his write up.

Yeah the money helped because roster slots meant he could keep everything he opened (otherwise he'd have gotten less from farms and have fewer champed 3s and 4s). But obviously if you (vet or new player) are only playing 1 hr a day and he's playing 5-6 a day that means he's roughly making 5-6x as much progress as you. Or put another way, if you as a new player only plan (or can) devote 1 hr a day to the game, you should expect to reach where he did in 5-6 years instead of 1 (assuming same money spent).

KGB

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,942 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Free to play MPQ players are hilarious -- how do you think the game will stay alive if nobody spends any money?

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    Free to play MPQ players are hilarious -- how do you think the game will stay alive if nobody spends any money?

hey! I'm free to play, and the game seems to be doing just fine and uh well

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,150 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

A really interesting write up, thanks @bbigler. That is a huge time investment for the game and I get the idea of starting over again and the challenges are different.

I think there are 3 takeaways for me.

1) Choices are important - finding ways to win at that point in the game aren't about the fastest way to win, it's how high can you punch up in PvE. Choosing higher rewards and taking twice as long to get them does require skill and dedication.

2) Some choices are enabled by spending money - having the breadth of characters to compete requires a load of HP that isn't available any other way at that point in the game, but that does not take away from point 1, it just makes it faster to achieve.

3) Early investment yields greater payoffs later in the game. The resource gain is more than I get after 10 years playing, but it is also the product of the time investment. Sure I could probably match it with an extra hour per day of play, but it has taken me a long time to get here. Proportionately, this feels like a lot for the stage of the game after 12 months, but it is a different game to the one I was playing 9 years ago.

• Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 264 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

Or…

Some free to play MPQ players work two jobs just to scrape enough cash together to keep them and their families under a roof and use this mobile game as a way to chill out for an hour a day to escape the slog of life.

Wouldn’t normally go heavy with a post but come on, look at the bigger picture and realise that not everyone can afford to frivolously throw money at something to receive no tangible benefits from their money other than the instant gratification that comes from playing a computer game

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Captain_Trips88 said:

@entrailbucket said:

Or…

Some free to play MPQ players work two jobs just to scrape enough cash together to keep them and their families under a roof and use this mobile game as a way to chill out for an hour a day to escape the slog of life.

Wouldn’t normally go heavy with a post but come on, look at the bigger picture and realise that not everyone can afford to frivolously throw money at something to receive no tangible benefits from their money other than the instant gratification that comes from playing a computer game

That's not what I was saying.

The reason you can play this game without spending money is that folks like bbigler do support the game financially. He's not cheating, he's literally allowing others to play this game. It wouldn't exist at all without folks like him and the money they spend.

• StillMonsoon3
    StillMonsoon3 Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options

Anybody else shocked by the 41.3M ISO that was earned and spent in a year? I can't fathom earning even a quarter of that in one years time. As a free to play player, I just checked my milestone award progress and have spent 39.2M ISO. I have been playing 7+ years (admittedly not always optimally) and still in ISO debt at the 5* level.

• Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 264 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

The reason you can play this game without spending money is that folks like bbigler do support the game financially. He's not cheating, he's literally allowing others to play this game. It wouldn't exist at all without folks like him and the money they spend.

I know this the classic ‘I’ve been called out on something so I’ll change what I meant’ response and I should just leave it be but really? You referred to people who don’t pay for a mobile game that can be played for free as hilarious. How is that not meant as an insult?

I believe the challenge to OP was not that he was cheating by spending money but pointing out that by spending a large sum of money it has benefitted their progress significantly. If this is a guide for new players then there is a very heavy caveat of the money spent, and any casual gamer picking this up after it’s been out for 10 years is unlikely to think that they will be spending over a grand on it

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@StillMonsoon3 said:
    Anybody else shocked by the 41.3M ISO that was earned and spent in a year? I can't fathom earning even a quarter of that in one years time. As a free to play player, I just checked my milestone award progress and have spent 39.2M ISO. I have been playing 7+ years (admittedly not always optimally) and still in ISO debt at the 5* level.

Well, OP said he plays 5/6 hours per day and there isn't so many content in the game, but playing LR.
    If you play all LRs from Tuesday to thursday is granted a great Iso income.
    And all that is there, it only takes commitment. Players competitive and commited quickly will advance over many others. That's just natural.
    There are all players types. I have a family and a roof for them too and I've spent money in this game. Imo is the least I can do to support a game which has brought me millions of hours of entertainment over 5 years.

• entrailbucket
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Captain_Trips88 said:

@entrailbucket said:

I know this the classic ‘I’ve been called out on something so I’ll change what I meant’ response and I should just leave it be but really? You referred to people who don’t pay for a mobile game that can be played for free as hilarious. How is that not meant as an insult?

I believe the challenge to OP was not that he was cheating by spending money but pointing out that by spending a large sum of money it has benefitted their progress significantly. If this is a guide for new players then there is a very heavy caveat of the money spent, and any casual gamer picking this up after it’s been out for 10 years is unlikely to think that they will be spending over a grand on it

I've changed absolutely nothing about what I said.

I find it hilarious that some free to play MPQ players look down on and denigrate spenders, rather than acknowledging the fact that the game they play is only "free" because others spend.

Every free to play player should be thanking bbigler for the $1200 he spent, because it allows them to continue enjoying the game without contributing financially to its continued existence.

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Omg 1200 bucks...........in one year????

Jeesh? if I spent that much on a mobile game ( or any game) my wife would kill me.......

Try doing it without spending a dime. I bet the results would be very different.

• Tony_Foot
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

Who is having a go about spending money? I don't think anyone can knock this game for how easy it is to F2P and ride off the spenders. It's like you buying a Ferrari and I get one too because you paid 100x as much for yours. Not many games are this easy to F2P.