Upcoming Character Rebalance - Chasm (9/21/23)

Comments

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards

I take it back. He's upper mid-tier. Just played him in PVP 2022 and he is a WAY better teammate than before. I could play him with Jane/Riri and he didn't keep siphoning all my AP away. Was able to breeze through the PVP 2022 to 25 wins with Chasm/Jane/Riri.

IMHO, he is much better on offense than before. Interested to know how he is to fight on defense.

• skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 984 Critical Contributor

Just a reminder that he is boosted this week.
    You'll see some degree of a drop-off after that.

• LavaManLee

@skittledaddy said:

It's the siphoning I was worried about; which, to the best of my knowledge, isn't affected by boosting. I could have never played with him on my team as efficiently with Jane/Riri before the rebalance as he would keep siphoning my own AP and prevent me from using their powers.

• mani82
    mani82 Posts: 151 Tile Toppler

He seems better with Shang and Mthor in pick 3 might use him on offense more often

• LavaManLee

@mani82 said:
    He seems better with Shang and Mthor in pick 3 might use him on offense more often

Exactly. He is a much better third offensive pick than before the nerf. He doesn't handicap your team like he used to and still is mildly annoying to face.

• mani82

Probably this was the character we deserved ;one unique power in all team stun some AP drain few revives instead of infinite and some heal instead we got an overpowered dude which has made pvp unfun ;he is decent but not overpowered I am not selling him

• mani82

@skittledaddy said:

He s gone from must use to use definitely when boosted and use sometimes when unboosted which is still fine

• jsmjsmjsm00
    jsmjsmjsm00 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker

I think Chasm is a good team to target now for easy wins tbh. Before, I had to consider my team comp before challenging Chasm. Now it feels like he does nothing for the AI.

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,049 Chairperson of the Boards

Killing chasm and him staying dead is much easier now. Before I would try to kill IHulk a few times to make sure he tanked and then killed chasm twice. Now I can just plan my powers accordingly and target him first.

And on offense, he feels way better. This is a successful rebalance imo.

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 487 Mover and Shaker

@Tiger_Wong said:
    Killing chasm and him staying dead is much easier now. Before I would try to kill IHulk a few times to make sure he tanked and then killed chasm twice. Now I can just plan my powers accordingly and target him first.

And on offense, he feels way better. This is a successful rebalance imo.

I'd wait to pass judgement after his boost ends. So far I've noticed his black is not proccing the damage part, nor is it triggering twice at lvl5. Hopefully it's just a visual bug.

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,049 Chairperson of the Boards

It’s triggering twice for me. You know you gotta proc it 5 right?

Before I had chasm at 4/5/4 or 5/4/4. 5/3/5 feels like the best now.

• Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 487 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2023

@Tiger_Wong said:
    It’s triggering twice for me. You know you gotta proc it 5 right?

Before I had chasm at 4/5/4 or 5/4/4. 5/3/5 feels like the best now.

I figured it out. On turn 1 the enemy team has zero ap. They changed it so it needs at least 1 ap to do any damage.

Edit: Just did a mirror match and this time neither chasms from both teams were not doing any damage and only draining.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2023

I was wrong about the first turn stun. I still think it's problematic, but on new-Chasm it's not nearly as bad.

The problem with the first turn stun on old-Chasm was twofold -- first, it guaranteed that whoever was in the middle position was going to eat 50,000+ damage before you had a chance to move the board (remember, I'm fighting 550 Chasms). Second, it guaranteed that Chasm would create enough void tiles to trigger his max passive damage and drain (and enable the resurrection loop) before you had a chance to move the board.

I still don't like losing player agency here, but new-Chasm puts out so much less damage that I just don't care nearly as much. With his drain passive significantly turned down (by 33%!) as well, and his resurrection limited to "once, maybe twice per fight," the stun isn't nearly as valuable.

I think they do need to keep an eye on this. A new character with some kind of "start fast" passive could easily create a combo with Chasm that enables turn-0 losses again, or sets up an infinite turn 0 for the AI.

• mani82

Don’t give them any ideas entrail B we don’t want another blind close your lids and match anything meta

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards

@mani82 said:
    Don’t give them any ideas entrail B we don’t want another blind close your lids and match anything meta

Eh. I don't think they could create that character on purpose if they tried.

Now...could they do it by accident? Absolutely!

• tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 555 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2023

Anyone still noticing any problems with Chasm's healing ?

Prior to the rebalance for myself and some others Chasm wasn't always healing upon matching web tiles like he was supposed to. Before the rebalance I could match away web tiles like crazy and be lucky if he was healing even half of the time. I would just sit there watching his health dwindle down, was very frustrating. Every match due to lack of healing, by time it was over he needed a health pack.

Since the rebalance, he definitely seems to be healing much more often, but still not quite all the time on every web tile match. But I've noticed a difference for sure, I'm able to play matches and get his health back up matching the web tiles more often than not. It was quite refreshing using him and and finishing matches with decent health left over and not having to use a health pack. At first I thought the healing was completely fixed but then started seeing some of the same things happen prior to his rebalance, although seems much less often now.

However from using quite a few times lately, he still at times isn't healing when matching his webs. I'll be starring right at his health bar and see it go down even after matching the web. Other times I'm seeing his health actually go up, but the green text isn't always popping up. But the last match I used him, I matched 3 black webs in a row and watched his health go down each time instead of healing. Luckily as I mentioned he does seem to be healing more consistently after the rebalance. So I am happy about that even if it still isn't always working perfectly as intended. It's just weird though, when he was first released he healed on every web I'd match and I used him quite a bit. Not sure what has happened since.

• Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker

@tonypq said:

I noticed that a lot since using Chasm. What I think is happening is that his healing is triggering simultaneously as his end of turn damage. So you might just be breaking even, since I've noticed his HP flashing like they were being modified, but not changing.

• tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 555 Critical Contributor

@Seph1roth5 said:

@tonypq said:

I noticed that a lot since using Chasm. What I think is happening is that his healing is triggering simultaneously as his end of turn damage. So you might just be breaking even, since I've noticed his HP flashing like they were being modified, but not changing.

That's a great point thanks for mentioning it, that might be what I've been seeing. I'll have to keep an eye out for that next time I use him.