**** Peni Parker (Spider-Bot BFF) ****

Options

Comments

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,167 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

It's a question of extent and it's not a binary thing. You can make money without it being the reason for making changes. It can be a happy side effect. And hey, I'd rather this game carried on forever, so I'm all for them making money and I'm happy to contribute to that. If I honestly thought they didn't care about the game or the players, I wouldn't be.

As for the "cash grab" question - I don't believe it is. Not an amazingly popular character, not overpowered, not required for anything, nothing special really. Just another character.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,979 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Scofie said:

As for the "cash grab" question - I don't believe it is. Not an amazingly popular character, not overpowered, not required for anything, nothing special really. Just another character.

So, uh, we agree. Why are you arguing with me?

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@Scofie said:

Because everyone argues with you ;)

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Scofie said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@Scofie said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Bowgentle said:

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:
    ...every single character they've ever released is a cash grab. This entire game is a cash grab. It's never pretended to be anything but -- this is not new information.

You can either accept it, as most of us have, or move on.

To be fair, the new devs basically put the for money offers on steroids when they came on. I would argue it's more of a cash grab now as a result.

Someone's going to have to define "cash grab" more specifically then, because as far as I can tell, the goal of this game has always been to sell stuff to players on an ongoing basis (as opposed to other games where you pay $50 or whatever up front and you're done). This game has always sold competitive advantages, too -- not just cosmetics or whatever. I remember paying money for Nick Fury covers back in 2014.

I'm simply noting the measurable increase in the number of for $ packs available on the offers tab. Once the new devs took over, the number of options at least tripled. I have 6 $ options on my offers tab right now.

They also advertise them like crazy with popups when you start the game or click into a new event screen.

Also constant HP sales.
    We used to get them twice a year, now they're monthly.

Sorry, how is running an HP sale a "cash grab?" Isn't it...the opposite of that?

Sales, especially where the product is not inventory dependent, are designed to increase consumer spending and encourage the buying to become a habit. They aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

They aren't doing...any of this out of the goodness of their hearts. There is not one single action they've ever taken, or change they've made, in 10 years, that isn't ultimately designed to generate spend.

Saved covers? I'd say it did the opposite (unless you assume it was entirely designed to allow a faster release schedule).

Also:

Well apart from medicine, irrigation, health, roads, cheese and education, baths and Circus Maximus, what have the Devs ever done for us?

There was the viaducts. And the wine.

Brought peace?

• Scofie
    Options

@ThisisClemFandango said:

@Scofie said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@Scofie said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Bowgentle said:

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Borstock said:

@entrailbucket said:
    ...every single character they've ever released is a cash grab. This entire game is a cash grab. It's never pretended to be anything but -- this is not new information.

You can either accept it, as most of us have, or move on.

To be fair, the new devs basically put the for money offers on steroids when they came on. I would argue it's more of a cash grab now as a result.

Someone's going to have to define "cash grab" more specifically then, because as far as I can tell, the goal of this game has always been to sell stuff to players on an ongoing basis (as opposed to other games where you pay $50 or whatever up front and you're done). This game has always sold competitive advantages, too -- not just cosmetics or whatever. I remember paying money for Nick Fury covers back in 2014.

I'm simply noting the measurable increase in the number of for $ packs available on the offers tab. Once the new devs took over, the number of options at least tripled. I have 6 $ options on my offers tab right now.

They also advertise them like crazy with popups when you start the game or click into a new event screen.

Also constant HP sales.
    We used to get them twice a year, now they're monthly.

Sorry, how is running an HP sale a "cash grab?" Isn't it...the opposite of that?

Sales, especially where the product is not inventory dependent, are designed to increase consumer spending and encourage the buying to become a habit. They aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

They aren't doing...any of this out of the goodness of their hearts. There is not one single action they've ever taken, or change they've made, in 10 years, that isn't ultimately designed to generate spend.

Saved covers? I'd say it did the opposite (unless you assume it was entirely designed to allow a faster release schedule).

Also:

Well apart from medicine, irrigation, health, roads, cheese and education, baths and Circus Maximus, what have the Devs ever done for us?

There was the viaducts. And the wine.

Brought peace?

Alright, alright. But apart from all that....

• Scofie
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@Scofie said:

Well, I was under the impression that you were saying everything was a cash grab but this character no more than anything else. You asked for an example of where it wasn't true and I provided you with one (saved covers). Then you argued with me that they were primarily to make money and I am politely disagreeing. 😜

• entrailbucket
    edited September 2023
    Options

@Scofie said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Scofie said:

Well, I was under the impression that you were saying everything was a cash grab but this character no more than anything else. You asked for an example of where it wasn't true and I provided you with one (saved covers). Then you argued with me that they were primarily to make money and I am politely disagreeing. 😜

I think I can state my argument a bit better.

I think "cash grab" is a ridiculous thing to say about any element of a game that literally sells competitive advantages. If you've got a problem with Peni Parker, then you must have a problem with everything else in the game too.

• Itsmeabxab
    Itsmeabxab Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    Options

Welcome to life, the secret is it’s all a cash grab.

• WhiteBomber
    WhiteBomber Posts: 120 Tile Toppler
    Options

Yikes, my interpretation of "cash grab" really went the distance here. I wasn't expecting everyone's definition to be potentially different here, my apologies.

"A product designed primarily or solely with the intent of generating profits or money."
    In my experience (and most of the other definitions on the web) this also carries with it a negative connotation of "poor quality" or "scheme".

So, when I said Peni felt like a cash grab, it was solely because it was as though she serves zero purpose, other than needing something (anything) to sell, regardless of the quality of the content.
    The thing that set her apart from the others for me, was just how little thought/work it feels like went in to her design, as where the others (as I mentioned initially), felt like they at least added something to the game (regardless of how good or bad they may be).

I believe most people probably have a base understanding how mobile games work at this point, and how they make their money, this character just felt different to me. So yes, I can have concern with this character without concern for the entire game, it is a personal opinion after all, an opinion I acknowledge is made without all information. For all I know, this character could have just been designed by an intern who doesn't know the game well and there was no approval process, OR perhaps Marvel demanded this character, and the designer hates this character, so out of spite, they made her this way.

Whatever the case, I figured I'd share my thoughts, since it was her thread. Nerf Chasm?

• entrailbucket
    Options

I don't even think she's that bad...she strikes me as a perfectly cromulent modern 4*.

• Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    Options

She doesn't embiggen anything though. Her blue is a fine stun if you're new and don't have other, better 4* I guess. Just still think it's much too complicated for little return.

• Scofie
    Options

To avoid power creep with every single release, you have to put in something that isn't great every now and again. Some releases are always going to be mid-tier or just "usable in the right circumstances".

My "4*s I don't use unless essential" list is currently however many 4s there are minus 3. Any new 4s are very likely to go on the pile, unless they have a fun new usable power or can go winfinite, in which case I'll play them a few times for fun.

At this point, they could release a 4* cheese sandwich (that feeds Venomsaurus), and we'd roster it. But nobody is spending tons of cash to get it.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Once in 5* land, the 4*s definitely matter less and less. I used to want them all champed right away but not so much any more. This one definitely goes into my "get one cover and see what happens" pile.

• superwaxley
    superwaxley Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options

@Scofie said:
    To avoid power creep with every single release, you have to put in something that isn't great every now and again. Some releases are always going to be mid-tier or just "usable in the right circumstances".

My "4*s I don't use unless essential" list is currently however many 4s there are minus 3. Any new 4s are very likely to go on the pile, unless they have a fun new usable power or can go winfinite, in which case I'll play them a few times for fun.

At this point, they could release a 4* cheese sandwich (that feeds Venomsaurus), and we'd roster it. But nobody is spending tons of cash to get it.

Hey Scofie, which 4*'s are your 'minus 3'?

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@superwaxley said:

@Scofie said:

Hey Scofie, which 4*'s are your 'minus 3'?

I'm not Scofie but will guess. Polaris. Grocket. Karnak. Might throw a Juggernaut and/or Thanos in there also.

• Punisher5784
    Options

@LavaManLee said:
    Once in 5* land, the 4*s definitely matter less and less. I used to want them all champed right away but not so much any more. This one definitely goes into my "get one cover and see what happens" pile.

Same thing with 3-4* transition. It's cool to share the two tiers in the beginning but once you're high enough in champ levels and have the variety, the 3s aren't used much in 4 land with a small handful of exceptions

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Punisher5784 said:

@LavaManLee said:

Same thing with 3-4* transition. It's cool to share the two tiers in the beginning but once you're high enough in champ levels and have the variety, the 3s aren't used much in 4 land with a small handful of exceptions

Right. And isn't that how it should work? Why should characters from a lower tier ever be better than higher-tier ones?

• Punisher5784
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@Punisher5784 said:

@LavaManLee said:

Right. And isn't that how it should work? Why should characters from a lower tier ever be better than higher-tier ones?

Because we still need to roster everyone so it'd be nice if we can use them outside of essential PvE

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Punisher5784 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Punisher5784 said:

@LavaManLee said:

Because we still need to roster everyone so it'd be nice if we can use them outside of essential PvE

Well, I don't think "we" need to roster anybody, for one. But think about what the metagame looks like if every single character is good enough to be usable by players at the highest tier. Why would anyone try to move up?