Reason Chasm’s counters failed

Options

Comments

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Borstock said:
    I disagree that the counters failed. I think he's in a Polaris-like state. There are now plenty of ways to beat him. None of them are a meta unto themselves, which is why you still see him everywhere.

That's my experience. We have all the tools to beat any of the Chasm teams in both pick 2 or pick 3. The reason he is still ubiquitous is because he costs both time and healthpacks and many folks would rather skip than spend the time and/or healthpacks to beat his teams when they can just take on other teams. Which ironically makes those Chasm teams great to climb off of because they float at a much higher score in PvP. I'll be using him plenty for the next few weeks since the boost lists are going to be rough at best.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,945 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Great, so once everyone realizes that Chasm is now terrible on defense, and using him will cost you hundreds of points (because his counters destroy him so trivially), we'll see most players switch to a stronger team?

Right?

• BurntOutGamer
    BurntOutGamer Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options

As others have stated, there isn’t a pick2 team you can leave on defense that reliably beats Chasm/iHulk teams… thus there isn’t a proper rock/paper/scissors mechanic. I use Wanda/Kang to beat them, but it’s still a fairly easy team for them to retaliate against.

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    Great, so once everyone realizes that Chasm is now terrible on defense, and using him will cost you hundreds of points (because his counters destroy him so trivially), we'll see most players switch to a stronger team?

Right?

He's not terrible on defense. He's great on defense. If anything he's terrible on offense. He slowly wears you down with match damage and with iHulk AOE every turn. But it isn't quick, just great on defense and fairly easy to save on healthpacks while using him. If you want quick you use the other completely OP character mThor. She also completely breaks a bunch of characters with absolutely free board shake every turn but is beloved because she is trash on defense. People hate defensive metas. That was the big argument against iHulk/Okoye and about Steel Witch.

• killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    If he's so easy to beat, then why is everyone still using him for everything?

Because it's easy to win with him

• entrailbucket
    Options

So, then the counters are ineffective?

You can't have it both ways. Either he's easy to beat or he's not.

• killahKlown
    Options

@BurntOutGamer said:
    As others have stated, there isn’t a pick2 team you can leave on defense that reliably beats Chasm/iHulk teams… thus there isn’t a proper rock/paper/scissors mechanic. I use Wanda/Kang to beat them, but it’s still a fairly easy team for them to retaliate against.

Excellent post

• killahKlown
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

Both ways?? He's easy to beat. There's nothing confusing about that is there?

• entrailbucket
    Options

@killahKlown said:

@entrailbucket said:

Great, so he's terrible on defense, and players will naturally stop using a character who's so easy to beat. Right?

• killahKlown
    edited July 2023
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@killahKlown said:

@entrailbucket said:

Great, so he's terrible on defense, and players will naturally stop using a character who's so easy to beat. Right?

I disagree

Feel free to keep putting words in people's mouths though. This is fun

• entrailbucket
    Options

Feel free to explain what your actual argument is then.

• killahKlown
    Options

I'm not arguing

• entrailbucket
    Options

Then you agree with me! Chasm is overpowered and all his counters are ineffective. Good to hear, thanks!

• killahKlown
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:
    These are the same arguments people used when gambit was clearly over powered and bishop was clearly over powered to try and convince the devs that there's no problem here and not to take away their clearly broken toy.

Those arguments didn't work with gambit or bishop and the pending chasm nerf makes it clear it's not working in this case either.

I don't use Chasm....ever. I refuse. So much for you shiny toy theory.

• killahKlown
    edited July 2023
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    Then you agree with me! Chasm is overpowered and all his counters are ineffective. Good to hear, thanks!

You are so darn clever. We are all clearly outmatched by your superior wit.

• entrailbucket
    Options

So, just to summarize all the anti-nerf comments in this thread:

1. Chasm is very easy to beat now, his counters are effective.
    2. But he's only still used because he's really hard to beat on defense.
    3. But people don't use him because he's good on defense -- he's easy to beat. People use him because he's really good on offense.
    4. But he's really slow and bad on offense, people use him because he's great on defense, he's hard to beat.
    5. But the counters make him easy to beat, so he's terrible on defense.
    6. You're just wrong about Chasm, and I refuse to say why.

Maybe you guys can get together and agree on one of these? It's really hard to follow multiple simultaneous contradictory arguments.

• killahKlown
    Options

Anti-nerf ? You are assuming quite a bit in all of your nonsensical rantings. I don't see anyone in here indicating they are against a Chasm nerf. We are just commenting on the intention of the thread... which is whether or not counters have been effective.

But in your mind... anyone who has adapted with the several existing counters absolutely MUST be anti-nerf because they aren't as up in arms as you are.

But as is typical of you...whatever fits the narrative of your agenda... keep it coming.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@killahKlown said:
    Anti-nerf ? You are assuming quite a bit in all of your nonsensical rantings. I don't see anyone in here indicating they are against a Chasm nerf. We are just commenting on the intention of the thread... which is whether or not counters have been effective.

But in your mind... anyone who has adapted with the several existing counters absolutely MUST be anti-nerf because they aren't as up in arms as you are.

But as is typical of you...whatever fits the narrative of your agenda... keep it coming.

I disagree. But I'm not arguing. But this kind of nonsensical ranting is typical of you and your agenda.