Reason Chasm’s counters failed

Options
MrDupaTM
MrDupaTM Posts: 64 Match Maker

I was thinking about all the characters with convoluted powers that were supposed to stop Chasm, they all failed.

And the reason they failed was that they haven’t punished Chasm in any way. When Archangel was introduced his power successfully punish players that would go airborne. It was never a meta, however would there ever be introduced a top character that go airborne, Archangel would be enough of a counter to stop it. Cause he doesn’t just inconvenience that airborne character, he punishes him.

Who punishes Chasm? Kang? With his measly adding stolen “goods” (whenever it actually works) without even removing them from Chasm? Why doesn’t he ”return” twice the amount of stolen colours? That would actually create a rock paper scissors dynamic with people having to play less Chasm as he’d be eviscerated by Kang.

It’s so simple.

And because it’s so simple, it’s rage inducing why wouldn’t the developers just do it.

Tagged:

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

They just need a hard counter for revivals, but instead of making that a passive, they put it on a Support

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,947 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Agree 100%, and I've written probably tens of thousands of words on here saying exactly the same thing.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,556 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I disagree that the counters failed. I think he's in a Polaris-like state. There are now plenty of ways to beat him. None of them are a meta unto themselves, which is why you still see him everywhere.

• killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options

I have no issues using the counters we've been given. To say the counters have failed is highly subjective and drastically overstating the matter.

• entrailbucket
    Options

Chasm on offense beats every single one of his counters on defense 100% of the time, with zero issues.

Every counter has failed because events are still a wall of Chasm teams.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Who exactly are the Chasm counters? Kang and Hit Monkey?

• entrailbucket
    Options

@ThaRoadWarrior said:
    Who exactly are the Chasm counters? Kang and Hit Monkey?

I think Jeff can save up like 18 green AP and eat all his void tiles (then Chasm immediately makes 12 more).

Oh, and Magik can put her repeaters out first turn (oh no she can't, she's stunned) and do about 300 permanent damage to him every move.

• MrDupaTM
    MrDupaTM Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options

@Borstock said:
    I disagree that the counters failed. I think he's in a Polaris-like state. There are now plenty of ways to beat him. None of them are a meta unto themselves, which is why you still see him everywhere.

The wall of Chasm teams (even when not boosted) on higher levels of PvP disproves that. The fact that he will be getting nerfed within 7 weeks disproves that too.

Had they not failed, you would not see that.

But you can ignore the evidence and keep repeating the “there’s so many ways to win against Chasm” now. Sure, buddy, sure.

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 659 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2023
    Options

Let's say for arguments sake the next 5 is omega red. It would be quite easy to give him a revival block because of his death spores, I also think some kind of punishment for having an all revival team whether it be a huge damage percentage on each revival or no revivals at all.
    It's drastic but it's a hard counter which will deter people to move on to another meta

• Borstock
    Options

@MrDupaTM said:

@Borstock said:

The wall of Chasm teams (even when not boosted) on higher levels of PvP disproves that. The fact that he will be getting nerfed within 7 weeks disproves that too.

Had they not failed, you would not see that.

But you can ignore the evidence and keep repeating the “there’s so many ways to win against Chasm” now. Sure, buddy, sure.

Tell that to the 14 Chasm teams I just whooped climbing to 1200. No losses.

Listen, buddy, I was right there hating Chasm with everybody else when he was first released. I literally started a thread titled "I hate Chasm". But it is totally unreasonable to expect that a counter be so good that it crushes you on defense. That's just insane.

There's always going to be a top meta. There will always be a "wall" of that top meta team in PvP. All I ask is a way to beat them and we have that. We have Kang. We have Hit Monkey. We have Riri. We have Jeff. Every one of them works.

• entrailbucket
    Options

Except there won't always be a top "meta" team. 5* boosts fixed that until Chasm showed up. There may be a best team, but it'll change every week, and if you don't have the "meta" team that week, you'll be screwed.

• Borstock
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    Except there won't always be a top "meta" team. 5* boosts fixed that until Chasm showed up. There may be a best team, but it'll change every week, and if you don't have the "meta" team that week, you'll be screwed.

I was talking about Simulator.

But even in pick-2, Chulk teams are regularly beaten by boosted 5's. It's only during the weeks that the boosted 5's suck when that doesn't happen. And that has less to do with Chasm and more to do with the poor design of the other characters.

• entrailbucket
    Options

If he's so easy to beat, then why is everyone still using him for everything?

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2023
    Options

There are no unboosted pick-2 counters that work for me. Unless there are good boost week characters it’s still a crapshoot. And that’s insane that any 5* 100 levels higher than an unboosted Chasm and Hulk team might still wipe.

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    Options

The simple solution in my mind is to put a revival limit on ihulk, say 5times. It takes nothing away from chasm. And ihulk is still viable...maybe increase damage numbers.

• Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options

Another easy fix - Chasm revive passive only works if no other revive passives on the same team.

• Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options

….or Chasm revive passive disables all other revive passives on same team

• Itsmeabxab
    Itsmeabxab Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    Options

Or make it so that if there’s more than one immortal on your team they each revive only once per match and be done with it.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    If he's so easy to beat, then why is everyone still using him for everything?

This. Playing Arcade PVP and at around 860 or so it was an entire wall of Chasm/Something.