Hopefully new news about new stuff coming soon

Options

Comments

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2023
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    and I've known people who said they were "going casual" by reducing their PvP scores from 3000/event to 2000/event.

This 1000%!!!!!!
    jajajaja

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,172 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

This specific phenomenon has to do with the very large number of hardcore, competitive players who desperately need to pretend that they're playing a single-player game.

You'll see things like "well, I'm not competitive, I'm not trying to beat anyone else...I just place ahead of all these casual players because they hardly play at all!"

The idea is that anyone outside the top 10 (or top 20, or who scores less than 2000 points in PvP) simply isn't trying, so of course our noncompetitive hero just accidentally beats them!

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Casual, for me, means I play to a clears goal in PvE, but don't care about placement. In PvP, it means full progression rewards and I don't care about placement.

Judging by others' answers, many will disagree with me. But that's what it means to me.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Borstock said:
    Casual, for me, means I play to a clears goal in PvE, but don't care about placement. In PvP, it means full progression rewards and I don't care about placement.

Judging by others' answers, many will disagree with me. But that's what it means to me.

I agree - it's a non-competitive mindset.

Progression rewards are not competitive - they are essentially time-based. You spend 30 mins a day and get the rewards.

Trying to beat others for placement requires planning, personal sacrifice, timing, schedules, using spreadsheets, tactics, coordination etc. Of course you can still beat other players without doing these things, but if it's an effort that you don't ordinarily put in for the sake of placement, that's not casual.

• entrailbucket
    edited June 2023
    Options

If playing every single day, and playing every single event to full progression is "casual," what should we call the tens of thousands of players who play less than that?

This definition is calling all but a few hundred MPQ players "casual," which...ok, but I think someone who enjoys the game but doesn't open it every day (and these players significantly outnumber all of us) would have a different definition of the term.

• Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 430 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I've been playing much more "casually" since Marvel Snap came out (and even more "casually" the last month as I've been getting back into Netrunner), but I'm sure I'm not a casual player.

I'm still doing 3 clears of each node in cl10 (completely ignoring placement), generally shooting for 12 wins in PvP (for the CP), doing all the DPD except the easiest 3 ... and trying to keep my alliance as a top 100 alliance.

So, not casual. But more casual. :D

• entrailbucket
    Options

"Ok, Bucket," said nobody, "if you're so smart, how would YOU define 'casual'?"

I would define a "casual" MPQ player as one who can skip one or more events without deciding to do so.

Think about yourself. If you were to put up a zero score in the next PvE, what might be the reason for that? Would you have a "good excuse," like, you were in the hospital or something? Would you have to let someone know in the game? Would you feel guilty if you didn't have a good excuse?

For a truly casual player, the reason might be "I forgot to play." Could you ever put up a zero in an entire event because you forgot to play, or would you have to specifically decide not to play that event?

• killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 580 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    So you're playing 1+ hours, daily.
    That's not casual play for a mobile match 3 game.

According to who?

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@killahKlown said:

@Bowgentle said:
    So you're playing 1+ hours, daily.
    That's not casual play for a mobile match 3 game.

According to who?

According to the tens of thousands of players Bucket mentioned.

• Zarqa
    Zarqa Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options

KGB got it right

• Bowgentle
    Options

@KGB said:

@entrailbucket said:
    "Ok, Bucket," said nobody, "if you're so smart, how would YOU define 'casual'?"

I would define a "casual" MPQ player as one who can skip one or more events without deciding to do so.

Think about yourself. If you were to put up a zero score in the next PvE, what might be the reason for that? Would you have a "good excuse," like, you were in the hospital or something? Would you have to let someone know in the game? Would you feel guilty if you didn't have a good excuse?

For a truly casual player, the reason might be "I forgot to play." Could you ever put up a zero in an entire event because you forgot to play, or would you have to specifically decide not to play that event?

Can't we have more than 2 categories (hardcore and casual)?

I'd say we have:
    1) Occasional - Players who log into the game occasionally, often missing days, whole events or weeks in a row and couldn't care less that they do. These players may play quite a bit (30 minutes) when the urge strikes them to play and they log in.
    2) Daily - Players who log in daily and do a few battles like DDQ to get the rewards and maybe play a few nodes in PvE / PvP if they have time or are around just to help their alliance in boss battles etc. These are often players who are retired/semi-retired but can't quite quit the game entirely/thinking of unretiring and deciding whether to come back. These players play 10-15 minutes a day out of habit.
    3) Casual - Players who log in daily and are dedicated enough to complete events (PvE and/or PvP) for progression rewards. They aren't worried about placement and often purposely under perform in events (play CL8 instead of CL10 in PvE, only do PvP to 575 when they could push for 900 or 1000 etc). These players play 1-3 hrs a day and kid themselves that they aren't addicted or borderline hardcore :)
    4) Hardcore - Everything casual players are except they are actively maxing out on every reward possible (doing the extra clears in PvE for all rewards and higher placement, pushing as high as they can in PvP and using shields to protect placement, joining T100 alliances for extra rewards, potentially bracket sniping in PvE/PvP, Lightning rounds for ISO etc). These players play 2-4 hrs a day and get annoyed when there is a scheduling mix up of any kind or off days between events.
    5) Hardcore Competitive - Everything hardcore players are except these are the players who are actively trying to AND regularly finishing T10 in all PvE and/or PvP events. They co-ordinate on line or other apps, know exactly when brackets flip and exactly which PvE teams to use on which nodes and have their clears timed down to the seconds, max out their meta teams to the Nth degree, trade esoteric knowledge among themselves etc. These players play ungodly number of hours a day (I suspect >4) when you include their co-ordination time.

KGB

None of the Hardcore competitive players plays more than 2 hours per day.
    1 hour pve tops, maybe an hour of pvp.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,829 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

See, you have "Casual" and "dedicated" (although it is in a qualified way) in the exact same sentence and that makes my head explode. Logging in daily and then nonchalantly matching tiles for hours is not what I would call casual. Just because you can't be arsed to bother doing better does not mean that you are so casual that you don't complete events This is a dedicated player by description. In fact, I would say it is a dedicated player with a plan. Dropping down to SCL8 probably means you get higher placement! Playing PvP to 575 points...I can't even get some of my alliance to beat seed teams. I would love them to go to 575!

As you might surmise - my Alliance has absolutely no rules at all EXCEPT we will kick you for signing up to Boss Events and then not contributing a single point. In the past it was pretty common for me to skip 2 or 3 PvE in a row and not care at all - somewhere along the line I have sort of grown tolerant of PvE to the point where now that I am at the stage where I can keep up with 5* releases if I wish then it has become more important. I late join and manage to fully clear and see where it lands but even when I wasn't playing for weeks on end I still didn't count myself as casual as I was still there every day doing something for some period be it PvP or DDQ or whatever. Somebody casual might not even check the game for days on end and floats in and out (Hello Alliance!!!!)

But obviously I seem in the minority on that definition, lol.

• Bowgentle
    Options

People have a weird tendency to define "Hardcore" as anything other than what they're doing.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@KGB has summarised it really well. To make it slightly more complex, there is the additional PvE/PvP angle. So I'm probably "Hardcore" in PvE but "Occasional" in PvP. So an average of "Casual".

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 603 Critical Contributor
    Options

Day 3130...I think... Somewhere in there, and I've missed some time while deployed.

I firmly fit into KGBs above definition of "casual".

Progression is enough to cover things, so I don't bother to worry about placement. Life is so much easier since dropping placement/line/and all the other stresses that come with dedicated play.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I feel like some people are treating game-playing as if it's a relationship with a person.

Are we casual? Can I see other games? Does MPQ have clothes in my dresser?

Casual, for me, is a mind-set. Yesterday, I got home at 4:30 PM EST. My PvE slice time ended at 5:00 PM EST, but my girlfriend asked me to make dinner. I put my phone away and I made dinner.

Casual.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,829 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Well at then end of the day this is all just talking about nothing, so it goes as deep as you like.

• entrailbucket
    edited June 2023
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    People have a weird tendency to define "Hardcore" as anything other than what they're doing.

Yep, that's what I've been saying. It's also what (almost) everybody in this thread has been doing!

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I'd say I'm "hardcore" I play every event to completion. I play on a schedule. I try maximize my rewards. I'm in the game for a little over an hour each day.

I may not compete competitively for placement, because I just can't be bothered to do it. But, I sort of schedule this game around my daily downtime, and it creeps into my time while I'm working.

Honestly, if you are spending over an hour each day in a game like this, then you are probably hardcore.