13»

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards

@Daredevil217 said:

@Vhailorx said:
    Iceman is still basically the only stunlock option in 5* land

5* Riri…

By herself, not so much. But with fosthor she can get there. She is also intriguing in that she has a cheap, short, aoe stun, while most of thenother stunlockers are better at disabling a key opponent for a longer time and can only stunlock the whole enemy team later in a match when you have more ap abd have dropped at least one opponent.

As for OP, your roster definitely indicates that you quit more or less at the end of Demi's long run of sub-par 5* releases post-kitty. So you may be in an especially bad spot for the current environment (most advice will be based on 2+ years of higher quality 5* releases that really fill out the tier that you cant access just yet).

Short term something like iceman + your best boosted damage dealer is probably the best option but it won't be pretty. Maybe focus on playing early in events and aiming for 500/12 wins-and-out, especially on weeks when meta teams are boosted

Mid term chase SC (maybe even with the direct buy cover availavle now if you can afford the cash). He is useful for both pve and pvp offense, and can pair well with several 4*s (SC + valkyrie is quite viable up to 500 in pvp).

Longer term we will have to see if the cha-hulk/ri-thor meta persists or if kang or someone newer takes over. This is more a matter of picking your general 5* roster strategy, which I assume you know how to do well since you successfully built one during the "bad old days."

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards

Like others have said, mThor is RNG-ish characters like Prof X, Onslaught etc. Throw in Riri who has cheap powers and a lucky cascade could put you in stunlock mode.

Your roster is not as bad as what others think. To counter them, one way is to increase their power ap costs. Use Peggy Carter or Prof X and their power ap costs increase by 3 to 6, depending on team compositions.

In pick-3, if you're feeling lazy, throw in 1/2 Thor as a third and use Peggy + one of your main 5* to deal with them. Instead of Riri putting you on 3 turn stunlock for lucking into 12 green aps, she can only do it once. Because her green would cost a minimum of 8 green aps instead. If you put Prof X + another X-Men, enemy red/yellow/green power would increase by 2. Throw in Peggy and it would increase by a total of 6.

• Alex502
    Alex502 Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2023

@dianetics said:
    She targets specials and cd/repeaters. So charged, web, abyss and and the like will not be targeted. If there is a special tile and an abyss tile next to 2 charged tiles then both charged will target the same special.

She is not and answer to abyss or web tile propagation. So she will work against the majority but is not effective against heroes like Chasm or Silk/spider2099

This isn't quite correct. Her power does actually target charged tiles near by, it just doesn't prioritze them like it does with specials. By the time you have enough out, she'll start clearing out her own charge tiles. And I'm not sure you're right about her targeting the same tile twice, pretty sure I've seen each charge target it's own tile. I'll play test some and double check, but I know she'll destroy charge tiles in the way she destroys basic tiles.

• BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor

I haven't heard of Silk + Miguel > @Vhailorx said:

@Daredevil217 said:

@Vhailorx said:

5* Riri…

By herself, not so much. But with fosthor she can get there. She is also intriguing in that she has a cheap, short, aoe stun, while most of thenother stunlockers are better at disabling a key opponent for a longer time and can only stunlock the whole enemy team later in a match when you have more ap abd have dropped at least one opponent.

As for OP, your roster definitely indicates that you quit more or less at the end of Demi's long run of sub-par 5* releases post-kitty. So you may be in an especially bad spot for the current environment (most advice will be based on 2+ years of higher quality 5* releases that really fill out the tier that you cant access just yet).

Short term something like iceman + your best boosted damage dealer is probably the best option but it won't be pretty. Maybe focus on playing early in events and aiming for 500/12 wins-and-out, especially on weeks when meta teams are boosted

Mid term chase SC (maybe even with the direct buy cover availavle now if you can afford the cash). He is useful for both pve and pvp offense, and can pair well with several 4*s (SC + valkyrie is quite viable up to 500 in pvp).

Longer term we will have to see if the cha-hulk/ri-thor meta persists or if kang or someone newer takes over. This is more a matter of picking your general 5* roster strategy, which I assume you know how to do well since you successfully built one during the "bad old days."

Would you say to prioritize SC over even FosThor herself? I just finished my BRB with the Fool's Gold shards, and for my next favorite I'm torn between those two who are both at 1/1/1, and some folks I have that are at 10-12 covers.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

@BoyWonder1914 said:

@Daredevil217 said:

@Vhailorx said:

5* Riri…

Would you say to prioritize SC over even FosThor herself? I just finished my BRB with the Fool's Gold shards, and for my next favorite I'm torn between those two who are both at 1/1/1, and some folks I have that are at 10-12 covers.

Shang.
    He'll improve your PVE.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards

JaneThor is awesome but given the chance Shang Chi can one shot very big health pools. He also has that true heal.

• Vhailorx
    edited April 2023

@BoyWonder1914 said:

@Daredevil217 said:

@Vhailorx said:

5* Riri…

Yes, SC > fosthor. Fosthor has more defensive utility, but SC can beat just about any node by himself, has tons of good partners (basically anyone with boardshake or any red/purple battery), and can true heal, so he can be used all day long. His only liabilities are (1) pvp defense and (2) he isn't great against chasm. But lots of characters struggle against chasm. Fwiw, SC and Okoye are the only 5*s I have ever direct purchased covers for with cash, and I have no regrets about spending ~$30 each to finish champing the character a few weeks/months earlier.

Fosthor would probably be in my next tier down for recommendations. Along with a handful of other meta 5*s.

• HoundofShadow

SC if you want to compete for T10 in scl 10.

• Vhailorx
    edited April 2023

@HoundofShadow said:

Your roster is not as bad as what others think. To counter them, one way is to increase their power ap costs. Use Peggy Carter or Prof X and their power ap costs increase by 3 to 6, depending on team co

It's not a bad roster at all. It's totally fine for PVE, and manageable for many pve events. It is, however, it an unusually weak place to handle boosted meta teams of the newest 5s. The general quality of 5s took a big step up right around the time OP stopped playing. (Right around Prof $/BRB). Newer 5*s have more health, much higher match damage, better damage/ap efficiency, and much better passives.

OP's best option is to use the older-but-updated 5*s, some of whom are decent, like SS. But they still have older kits that don't hold up well to the current meta passives.

The fact that OP is in basically the worst possibilities position for this particular question (stuck in 5* MMR, but only having pre-2020 5*s), but should still be able to manage things is a big part of why I think fosthor is pretty well balanced. She is very useful and can be punishing on defense, but there are still ways to handle her as discussed in this thread.

• HoundofShadow
    edited April 2023

Some of his classic 5* received buffs, such as Banner, Jean, Cap FA and Ironman. They have modern health and damage now.

Edit: Add in Starlord, Gambit and Silver Surfer. Silver Surfer can one-shot (in a way) full health 672 enemies and he comes with true heal.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

@HoundofShadow said:
    Some of his classic 5* received buffs, such as Banner, Jean, Cap FA and Ironman. They have modern health and damage now.

Edit: Add in Starlord, Gambit and Silver Surfer. Silver Surfer can one-shot (in a way) full health 672 enemies and he comes with true heal.

They are still bad unboosted.