5* Thor Counter

Options
HuracanDolor
HuracanDolor Posts: 47 Just Dropped In

I don’t know who needs to hear this but I believe we need a 5* Thor/Charge tile counter. She controls too much of the board and deals massive damage without any real weaknesses or counters.

Comments

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,017 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Stun her

• WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options

Chasm.

Or Dr. Honey herself. Use the charged tiles the ai thor creates to your advantage.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,898 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Agreed. We won't get one though.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

5* Gambit? 5* Storm?

• AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Adorable Shark comes equipped with a possible anti-MThor ability. He can blow up all charged tiles for 6 AP and heals himself with them.

(Not saying it works-- I have no idea if it works in practise. Just pointing out that we might or might not already have gotten that. We'll have to wait for people to champ him to test.)

• HoundofShadow
    Options

He doesn't blow up tiles. He converts them.

Is OP a 5* or 4* player?

• AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Granted, yes, imprecise language on my part. "blows up" in the sense that they are gone and MThor cannot use them. But yes, it's a conversion.

• fractalvisions
    fractalvisions Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Amongst the 4*s, Lokigator (when invisible) and Captain America both damage the enemy every time they match a charged tile. A 5* with a similar power would be a good idea.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I don't know. That would kill Shang, too.

• Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    He doesn't blow up tiles. He converts them.

Is OP a 5* or 4* player?

5*, I hit him a load last event 🤣

• BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    5* Gambit? 5* Storm?

Trust me I've tried, Gambit is one of the few 5s I have with decent enough health to not be fodder. Her passive blows up his repeater tile that generates AP. Her passive also blows up the CDs from his purple. His red leaves more charged tiles in its wake, which also helps her passive.

I can't speak for Storm, but Gambit is a terrible idea. You need people that can either stun her, and/or hit her hard and fast with relatively cheap nukes. If you can't do either, try to match her charged tiles to minimize the board shake she gets the following turn. Most importantly - PRAY.

• HoundofShadow
    Options

What are the teams that the OP has difficulty in beating her? Is it in pick-2 or pick-3? Generally, I don't remember having difficulty beating her in pick-2 or pick-3.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I don't find her especially challenging to fight, and I don't have a particularly strong 5* roster. She is dead easy in mirror matches, especially if I use SC + fosthor to climb. But other teams like colossus/switch, or BRB/Polaris can handle her pretty easily too.

When boosted she survive long enough to cast red or yellow. But plenty of characters are noticeably dangerous when boosted. And if opposing fosthors are boosted, that means my own is boosted too. So even then it isn't really a problem.

Learning how to fight her is definitely something that people will have to figure out when they transition to 5* land, as she is a common sight in pvp. And newer players won't necessarily have access to all the classic 5s that counter her. But I am fairly confident that newer 5s will be able to handle her too. Her kit is strong enough that dumb ai can't make it useless, but it also can't fully leverage her abilities either. She is in a good place, IMO. Very strong on offence and manageable on defence

• BoyWonder1914
    edited April 2023
    Options

I'm personally seeing her most often paired with Shang Chi, Riri, or Kamala Khan. The latter two have very cheap abilities that Thor easily powers up, so you have to pick your poison on who to kill first. With Shang Chi you just hope she doesn't generate a cascade that allows him to go crazy, which she often does.

Who do you use to beat those teams? I manage to win occasionally but it's usually because the board was very favorable to me. I don't have the "meta" people champed myself, so mirroring her with my own Thor isn't an option, nor do I have Colossus/Switch, or BRB. I've been getting lucky with people like Jean Grey and FA Cap.

• HoundofShadow
    Options

Pick-2 or Pick-3?

• Vhailorx
    Options

Caveat: I haven't fount riri + fosthor too much yet. I just haven't been seeing them on my nodes very often. So i can't really comment on that team front experience.

As for SC + Fosthor I tend to go mirror matches. I am much better at taking advantage of both kits than the ai. I only ever remember losing to this team when they get crazy good cascade luck and I forger to check their AP levels before ending a turn.

Fosthor KK also doesn't scare me. Theoretically that team can get lots of damage going when the board has lots of special tiles, but it's slow to ramp up unless the third wheel brings something to the table. I do not often have any trouble dropping one of them (usually thor) before they can do significant damage.

• Vhailorx
    edited April 2023
    Options

Yes, if you are using very old 5*s like jean Grey or FA Cap I can see how that would be more of a struggle.

What 5* s do you have access too? And how complete is your 4* roster? Also, as Hound asks. Are you thinking of pick 2 or pick 3?

• BoyWonder1914
    Options

@Vhailorx said:
    Yes, if you are using very old 5*s like jean Grey or FA Cap I can see how that would be more of a struggle.

What 5* s do you have access too? And how complete is your 4* roster? Also, as Hound asks. Are you thinking of pick 2 or pick 3?

If you just mirror the character then I don't really see how that qualifies as a "counter". This is both pick-2 and pick-3. Riri was recently boosted, and Shang Chi is boosted now, so Thor has been present in every Pick 2 PVP I've played recently. She is also quite present in the Pick 3 Shield Sim, where the third will often be someone like PX, Onslaught, or America who make cascades that much more devastating.

Bringing a 4-star to fight like this is suicide, not quite sure why you're asking that, but I have mostly everyone rostered. I don't have them all champed though - the link in my sig is relatively up to date.

• HoundofShadow
    Options

I used AW and Emma in this week boosted SC week.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@AlexR said:
    Granted, yes, imprecise language on my part. "blows up" in the sense that they are gone and MThor cannot use them. But yes, it's a conversion.

Converting is generally extremely advantageous as it doesn't count as "destroyed" for the purposes of MThor's red or for protect tiles BRB's passive AP gain.

Mthor does two things very well - tons of semi-passive board shake and special tile destruction. She also has some big hits so long as you get enough charged tiles on the board, meh otherwise. She's great mid-game character and generally starts strong. Chasm is, of course, the best direct counter to her, but Chasm basically counters everybody. When using her yourself she pairs really well with anyone who doesn't rely on keeping tiles on the board (say, Polaris/Kitty,) and Mirror matches rarely pose a problem.

As noted above, bringing your own Mthor to a Mthor fight is fine. Other characters manipulate charged tiles, but she's the best, so you're probably best off relying on speed. Jeffrey can eat all the charged tiles, which, tbh, really, really slows her down, but I'm sure you can find other great teams. Shang-Chi can one shot her after a few combo points, for example.