5* Thor Counter

Options

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,919 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

It seems like all the optimizers 550d her, so I've had tons of experience fighting her at that level. You really need to kill her first, and fast, or she gets out of hand. Paired with Riri, the AI can very easily stunlock you permanently.

She's also pretty random though. If the AI hits a big cascade off her passive, you're just dead. Sometimes she doesn't do anything at all though. The longer she's alive, the higher the chance that you'll get randomly murdered.

I generally approach her like any other immediate-kill priority. Boost match damage, boost AP into your biggest hits, hope you can kill her before she kills you or stunlocks you. Unboosted, her health is like 100k, so it's not too bad.

I haven't tried Jeff against her yet but I don't expect much. She charges tiles quickly enough that a one-time, 6ap active unchanging isn't going to do that much.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

A 550 counter team against a 550 Thor team is no different from 450 counter team against 450 Thor team. The only difference is that the maximum level 550 player see is 550 Thor, which put them on equal footing. On the other hand, for baby champed roster, we will see even 550 Thor in our queue sometimes, which means they have a 100 level advantage over us.

Anyway, she's as good a glass cannon.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    A 550 counter team against a 550 Thor team is no different from 450 counter team against 450 Thor team. The only difference is that the maximum level 550 player see is 550 Thor, which put them on equal footing. On the other hand, for baby champed roster, we will see even 550 Thor in our queue sometimes, which means they have a 100 level advantage over us.

Anyway, she's as good a glass cannon.

I think her health is probably too high to call her a "glass" cannon -- it's low compared to the lvl650+ I'm typically running out there, but not low compared to other unboosted 5*.

• HoundofShadow
    Options

~73k health at 450 is not high. It's like a norm. Even older 5* like Ronan, Odin, Elektra have higher health than her. If you are comparing her to prehistoric 5*, it's high.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

73k at 450 is a medium health modern hero. There are plenty of newer heros with lower health AKA Crystal, Wong, Hit Monkey, KK, Electro, Abigail, Sersi et al.

She lands right in the middle of modern heroes with more health and heroes with less.

• HoundofShadow
    Options

Characters with heal or defensive ability typically has lower health. There are exceptions, but it's rare. Colossus is one such exception.

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    It seems like all the optimizers 550d her, so I've had tons of experience fighting her at that level. You really need to kill her first, and fast, or she gets out of hand. Paired with Riri, the AI can very easily stunlock you permanently.

She's also pretty random though. If the AI hits a big cascade off her passive, you're just dead. Sometimes she doesn't do anything at all though. The longer she's alive, the higher the chance that you'll get randomly murdered.

I generally approach her like any other immediate-kill priority. Boost match damage, boost AP into your biggest hits, hope you can kill her before she kills you or stunlocks you. Unboosted, her health is like 100k, so it's not too bad.

I haven't tried Jeff against her yet but I don't expect much. She charges tiles quickly enough that a one-time, 6ap active unchanging isn't going to do that much.

from a fun perspective, mthor really is the best 5* over the last 10-20 release. Its an easy and flexible style to understand and implement. yes their are different metas than can outperform mthor teams, but they can be tedious to play or defensive/nuke based slogfest.

from the pure fun standpoint, mthor is a great 5* to whale out. yeah, people can easily justify spending covers in shang, kang, ihulk, okeye, chasm etc. but mthor has a fun easy playstyle compared to stunlocking, blah blah.

• entrailbucket
    Options

"Fun, easy play style" = "watch the game play itself while you do other stuff."

...seriously though, Thors in MPQ always seem to be that way. They're also generally the best characters in their tier. I'm not sure why.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Waiting for 5* Fat Thor.
    With Trash Talk as their green skill.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,010 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Collosus. Use her charged tiles against her with his big match damage and you don't worry about her cascades too much with his match damage mitigation.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2023
    Options

@BoyWonder1914 said:

@Vhailorx said:
    Yes, if you are using very old 5*s like jean Grey or FA Cap I can see how that would be more of a struggle.

What 5* s do you have access too? And how complete is your 4* roster? Also, as Hound asks. Are you thinking of pick 2 or pick 3?

If you just mirror the character then I don't really see how that qualifies as a "counter". This is both pick-2 and pick-3. Riri was recently boosted, and Shang Chi is boosted now, so Thor has been present in every Pick 2 PVP I've played recently. She is also quite present in the Pick 3 Shield Sim, where the third will often be someone like PX, Onslaught, or America who make cascades that much more devastating.

Bringing a 4-star to fight like this is suicide, not quite sure why you're asking that, but I have mostly everyone rostered. I don't have them all champed though - the link in my sig is relatively up to date.

Who said I "just" mirror her? I said that she is good, but there are other teams that work against her. When boosted, her mirror match is also boosted, which helps for sure. Assuming you have her, of course. (And she should be on your short list of ultra-high priority 5*s to chase, along with SC for PVE and Chasm/iHulk for pvp).

As for using unboosted teams against meta boosted characters the best strategy is almost always stun lock. Otherwise it's 1-2 healthpacks per match at best and a team wipe/retreat if the ai gets a cascade. Iceman is still basically the only stunlock option in 5* land (though I assume Hound has some exotic elektra or ghostpool alternative to offer), but there are several good stunlock options in 4* land (iceman, polaris, mantis).

Re: asking about 4s, yes you will get targeted if you run 4s late in a pvp event. But using 4s can be viable if you have the right 5 to pair with them. And they dramatically expand the pool of useful abilities available. Plus when boosted they can be viable against some 5*s.

I am looking at your roster now and may have more thoughts after seeing what tools you have available.

• BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Vhailorx said:

@BoyWonder1914 said:

@Vhailorx said:
    Yes, if you are using very old 5*s like jean Grey or FA Cap I can see how that would be more of a struggle.

What 5* s do you have access too? And how complete is your 4* roster? Also, as Hound asks. Are you thinking of pick 2 or pick 3?

If you just mirror the character then I don't really see how that qualifies as a "counter". This is both pick-2 and pick-3. Riri was recently boosted, and Shang Chi is boosted now, so Thor has been present in every Pick 2 PVP I've played recently. She is also quite present in the Pick 3 Shield Sim, where the third will often be someone like PX, Onslaught, or America who make cascades that much more devastating.

Bringing a 4-star to fight like this is suicide, not quite sure why you're asking that, but I have mostly everyone rostered. I don't have them all champed though - the link in my sig is relatively up to date.

Who said I "just" mirror her? I said that she is good, but there are other teams that work against her. When boosted, her mirror match is also boosted, which helps for sure. Assuming you have her, of course. (And she should be on your short list of ultra-high priority 5*s to chase, along with SC for PVE and Chasm/iHulk for pvp).

As for using unboosted teams against meta boosted characters the best strategy is almost always stun lock. Otherwise it's 1-2 healthpacks per match at best and a team wipe/retreat if the ai gets a cascade. Iceman is still basically the only stunlock option in 5* land (though I assume Hound has some exotic elektra or ghostpool alternative to offer), but there are several good stunlock options in 4* land (iceman, polaris, mantis).

Re: asking about 4s, yes you will get targeted if you run 4s late in a pvp event. But using 4s can be viable if you have the right 5 to pair with them. And they dramatically expand the pool of useful abilities available. Plus when boosted they can be viable against some 5*s.

I am looming at your roster now and may have more thoughts after seeing what tools you have available.

Fair enough, I appreciate it. I only came back a few weeks ago after being gone somewhere around 2 years, I definitely missed out on the Shang Chi party that I heard Anniversary was. Sounds like Thor wasn't super long ago, but in either case I'm likely gonna need a Fan Favorite store of some kind to catch up.

• HoundofShadow
    Options

Tell us what you've and we can work out counter teams for you.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2023
    Options

@Vhailorx said:
    Iceman is still basically the only stunlock option in 5* land

5* Riri…

• BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    Tell us what you've and we can work out counter teams for you.

I don't softcap my 5s, here are my champs:

1) Archangel - 455
    2) Black Bolt - 451
    3) Captain America (First Avenger) - 453
    4) Captain America (Infinity War) - 451
    5) Daredevil - 451
    6) Doctor Strange - 452
    7) Gambit - 456
    8) Green Goblin - 457
    9) Hawkeye - 455
    10) Hela - 455
    11) Iceman - 450
    12) Iron Man - 457
    13) Jean Grey - 454
    14) Jessica Jones - 453
    15) Kitty Pryde - 451
    16) Okoye - 452
    17) Professor X - 453
    18) Silver Surfer - 453
    19) Spider-Man (Back In Black) - 455
    20) Spider-Man (Peter Parker) - 452
    21) Star-Lord - 455
    22) Thanos - 456
    23) The Hulk (Bruce Banner) - 456
    24) Thor (Gladiator) - 454
    25) Wolverine (Old Man Logan) - 454

Dinosaurs lol. Rescue is fully covered but I don't see her helping much. My BRB, Ghost Rider, and Wasp are all 1 cover away, but BRB is the only one of the group that I know can help immediately.

The reworks on some of these characters (FA Cap, Jean, Banner Hulk, Surfer) have allowed me to actually win some matches, but I'm still floundering against a meta that has long since evolved past Thorkoye. iHulk + Okoye was the new hot flavor at the time I most recently took a break.

I can usually handle an unboosted mThor/Shang Chi with FA Cap + Half Thor in Pick 2, but that got tough this go round with SC being boosted. Pick 3 is moreso where I'm seeing mThor paired with KK or Riri. KK generating 4 AP when I fire an ability is what usually gets me in trouble, and for Riri it's that dang stunlock that freezes my team while mThor gets free reign to go nuts. Pick 3 is also where I might occasionally see the 3rd being a 4-star character, like America. Even saw a Shang Chi/America/Melinda May team one time that stunlocked me and systematically took me down lol.

Appreciate the insight. This is prob the toughest part of hoarding for me, because I keep wanting to be competitive NOW, but I know I need to bide my time to get a chance at some of these better characters. My Kang is 3/3/3, I'm gonna try to see what I get from 100 pulls (currently about 18 away) before I go back to my hoardy hole for a favorite store of some kind.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I agree she is the random character type who can beat you in the same way than a lucky cascade with PX and onslaught. And she pairs well with any character not having traditional special tiles.
    The best counter in order to not look AI playing a 2 minutes turn is the same as fighting BB: just match charged tiles.
    At 550 MMR I really doubt someone will be playing the shark in order to counter her , something says me that few people are going to max him.

• HuracanDolor
    HuracanDolor Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options

One other thing that’s not mentioned at all here is her ability to destroy EVERY tile available in the game…. Sap’s, countdowns, repeaters, black holes, traps, abyss, swarm tiles, motivation tile, Eye of Agamotto (Did I miss any? If I did I’m pretty sure she destroys those too lol)
    I always thought that was a bit odd that they’ll give one character that much power over every tile.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

She doesn't destroy abyss, web tiles, swarm or traps, or at least if she destroys them is because of random chance.
    If chasm stales the battle she won't be able to place more charged tiles because everything is full of chasm.
    True story.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2023
    Options

She targets specials and cd/repeaters. So charged, web, abyss and and the like will not be targeted. If there is a special tile and an abyss tile next to 2 charged tiles then both charged will target the same special.

She is not and answer to abyss or web tile propagation. So she will work against the majority but is not effective against heroes like Chasm or Silk/spider2099

• killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    Options

I agree with those who said she's a glass cannon. Even moreso than other glass cannons because she gives the you the means to kill her quick, plenty of wonderful charged tiles.

Best strategy I've found is to kill her first if she's paired with Riri. Otherwise kill her last so she can give you more charges throughout the match