A request: a single source of truth

Comments

• gamecat235
    gamecat235 Posts: 104 Tile Toppler

@entrailbucket said:
    I blame OP. Clearly they saw this post as a challenge.

Just wait until you find what avenue they use next!

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2023

@gamecat235 said:

Hi @Scofie ! GTSY! So what I’m asking for would be some kind of announcement (maybe with a new tag like “social media teaser” or something) that’s in the General Discussion area. Honestly it wouldn’t even have to be stickied for all posts (but ones like the Apoc event might be). Just some amount of timely mirroring of the announcements wherever they are made, but here in the forums.

Or if you won’t be able to commit to that, an answer stating that so that folks who are part of this community can confidently do the same without fear of the posts being immediately made redundant or removed.

Or really, anything to that effect. Thanks! And Jeff is super cute. I really hope he’s actually the next 5/3.

Scofie is just a mod.
    You'll want to tag Devpool or Ice.
    Or Sokun, if he's still alive.

• gamecat235

I know Scofie’s a mod. My original message wasn’t just targeting the devs, community moderators could in fact take up the mantle of repeating information shared elsewhere. Then it would at least have a semi-official source of information while we wait for a formal announcement.

My whole idea is just to try to get official comms out to the community more effectively. And not to extend the quest part of the game to the entire social media universe. =p

• Bowgentle

@gamecat235 said:
    I know Scofie’s a mod. My original message wasn’t just targeting the devs, community moderators could in fact take up the mantle of repeating information shared elsewhere. Then it would at least have a semi-official source of information while we wait for a formal announcement.

My whole idea is just to try to get official comms out to the community more effectively. And not to extend the quest part of the game to the entire social media universe. =p

Last time Scofie did that, it aged like fine milk - the "no supports planned for pvp" bit.

• gamecat235

@Bowgentle said:

@gamecat235 said:

Last time Scofie did that, it aged like fine milk - the "no supports planned for pvp" bit.

True story. Excellent point.

• Bowgentle

Sorry, I was giving you an easy out on why you wouldn't want to collect "official" info 🤣

• Zarqa
    Zarqa Posts: 246 Tile Toppler

Slightly off topic, but this thread made me wonder something: @Scofie do the mods here have some form of semi-frequent formal check in with the Devs to report on what’s going on here? I do hope so.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,383 Chairperson of the Boards

😂 it is unlikely a forum mood has any direct communication with the dev team.

• Zarqa
    Zarqa Posts: 246 Tile Toppler

@dianetics I'm not so sure you’re right, and Scofie basically said as much.

The reason I asked is that in the latest Dev Q&A, BCS seemed interested in the idea of a player committee for feedback. I’d much rather have forum mods give feedback to the devs first, before any player committee. I feel the mods here will have a pretty good idea about what the player sentiment is and can relay that/advocate for things. For example, the common feedback about inconsistency of what the official place for official comms is… (see this thread).

Thanks for the insight @Scofie , much appreciated.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they talk to players regularly, but it's unlikely they'd choose to talk to any of us (and no, it's not because we're jerks (even though we are)).

You have to remember they're focused on the 95% of players who play regularly but aren't super serious about the game, and don't have champion 5* rosters. That's where they make all their money, and they need to make sure the experience is good for them.

• Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker

@Scofie said:
    Hi @Zarqa - I've only been a mod for a couple of weeks but there has been regular communication with different members of the team, depending on what's going on.

It's important to remember the mods do this voluntarily and we're not all based in the same time zones (and I have a pretty full on day-job and a real life too!). So no matter how much I love this game and the community, I'm not getting up at 3am to join a zoom call about "what the forum thinks about x" and I'm not expected to. But we do send thoughts and feedback and escalate things where it is helpful.

And we read everything! So we have a good handle on the discussion and, as players ourselves, do our best for the game.

Look at this guy bragging about his job and real life! :tongue:

We appreciate your effort and it's cool to hear that there is an actual discourse between the mods and dev team.

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,910 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2023

@gamecat235 said:

Just to clarify a few points: moderators are volunteers and not officially employed by 505 Games or Broken Circle. We do not usually get any official information about the game before the rest of the community so we are just as much in the dark as you are unless we happen to find the information elsewhere (ie: LINE, Discord, Reddit, etc).

We do get a heads up about forum updates and things pertaining to the forum but I don't think that's information you would want to know nor is it something we are at liberty to share.

To put it simply, a mod's comments about something game-related are no more official than any other forum user's. With that said, I understand the frustration of having info spread out in various places. Ideally, it really should all be accessible in-game and here. But I know some members of the dev team have their preferred way for interacting with the community.

It is what it is, but I do sincerely hope it's something they work to improve on going forward.

Edited: The situation has changed and it's looking like the Forum Administration is looking to rely on the mod team to help with info releases. The details haven't been ironed out yet but it's looking like some of the information in this post is no longer accurate.

• S0kun
    S0kun ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker

@gamecat235 said:
    1. Specify what method we should be looking at?
    2. Mirror the communication within the “official” delivery methods?

Appreciate the constructive criticism and yes, I do agree that we could be better in pointing our players to a centralized destination instead of playing telephone.

You'll sometimes see @DevpoolMPQ_BCS or @IceIX on Discord and Reddit speaking directly with players since we don't have our own channels there, but for the official statement, it will always be on our social media channels so please make sure you're following either Twitter or Facebook. Those comms can sometimes take a while since we're broadcasting to a much larger player base and we don't want to jump the gun until we have a full grasp of the situation. I'll be sure to post MOTD communications where the need arises as well.

From a larger picture, we've got plans in the works to centralize where we'll be able to address ad hoc communications. Look to have an update on that later this year.

• gamecat235

Thank you @S0kun I think we got spoiled with having so much of the detailed information available here first and then trickling out via other channels that many of us keep looking here first.

I appreciate the answer and knowing that plans for a more centralized or streamlined set of common responses to disparate questions is great as well (though for the record, the Q&A bits here on the forum have done a pretty decent job of that from where I sit). And those of us who dance between the different places tend to be vocal and usually try to be helpful when we can.

And I definitely understand that Twitter and Facebook have the largest reach other than direct in game messaging, so that makes sense.

Thank you!

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards

It would be nice to have official information copied to the forums or posted in-game. I use neither Twitter or Facebook, so another official announcement place would be appreciated.

• killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 577 Critical Contributor

So on my drive in to work this morning, I happened across MPQ official smoke signals in the air indicating a land shark reveal and an apology for the botched boss event this weekend. I'll continue monitoring so I can report the news back here.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,113 Chairperson of the Boards

@Warbringa said:
    It would be nice to have official information copied to the forums or posted in-game. I use neither Twitter or Facebook, so another official announcement place would be appreciated.

I'll do that where possible and would welcome others doing so too.