What's New MPQ - October 2022 (Updated 10/20/22)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 517 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2022
    Options

Like Bad, I too don't need the preview threads. I like to have them because they keep me enthusiastic and engaged. Importantly, once upon a time I depended on the preview threads to maintain and plan my resources and covers-on-the-vine.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2022
    Options

@Bad said:
    The anniversary was amazing isn't it? Well, but it claims a toll.

Are you seriously trying to say the anniversary took a toll on communication? That makes no sense on every possible level. How did the anniversary mean that the devs stop communicating with us? It takes all of five minutes to communicate and the anniversary has been over for a while.

I know you and some of the others like to defend everything the devs do at all cost, but at least please make those arguments sensible. Trying to say the anniversary is why they can't communicate really is bizarre logic. I can't wrap my head around this type of thinking.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

We have been through similar experiences multiple times over the past years:

The dev didn't provide timely updates to such thread.
    Players want to know when it will be updated and what happened that caused this delay.
    The dev didn't answer them "on time"
    The dev finally updated the thread and apologised.
    When the dev did explain the reason, it was always they were busy with other tasks or there were some delays.

This has happened many a time and it has more or less become a cycle. Personally for me, if the dev didn't update such thread, I'm going to assume it's due to the above reasons. I won't chase after an update because they will update it when they've the time.

Sure, it takes 5 minutes to update or provide information. However, there are many "5 minutes" task happening in our life. In the end, we need to prioritise the tasks. Given that such experiences (not updating such thread) had happened multiple times already, it indirectly proves that it's not the most important task out of the list of unimportant tasks. If updating such thread is important and urgent, they won't miss it.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2022
    Options

@LavaManLee said:

I know you and some of the others like to defend everything the devs do at all cost, but at least please make those arguments sensible. Trying to say the anniversary is why they can't communicate really is bizarre logic. I can't wrap my head around this type of thinking.

I'll help you then (I earned a flag on my last comment and it was time :D ).
    If they can track thousands of people daily playing and also they know how many people visit this thread (the forum before showed the data and never was more than 500 visits, each time you clicked the thread was one visit more).
    So thousands of people playing minus no more than 500 visiting this thread means: low priority on update.
    Also remember they have other games, projects, etc...
    A lot of "5 minutes" per day.
    By the way, my bizarre logic this time it isn't my logic at all, is something devs explicitly said, read my other previous comment.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2022
    Options

As far as this particular matter is concerned, it's not about defending the dev, but it has to do with accepting reality as it is.

For those who think updating this thread is important, your reality of what things should be is that the dev should update this thread promptly and let you know why they can't do so, and when they would be able to update it again.

If we look at reality as it is, the dev doesn't see this as something that is compulsory to be accomplished within those players' expected timeframes.

As a matter of fact, the dev answered in this manner regarding updating What's New" threads:

"1. We try to update the What's New every Tuesday when possible. Sometimes though, we are doing changes to rewards or scheduling for some events right up until the wire. We'll do our best to stay diligent there!"

The key word are "try" and "when possible".

If the dev answered, "We'll make sure What's New gets updated before the end of every Tuesday, regardless of how many other tasks we need to complete.", then it would make sense to chase them hard for it because they gave a guarantee.

• LavaManLee
    edited November 2022
    Options

Neither of you have answered the question about how the Anniversary took its toll on the devs and they couldn't communicate. Somehow, for many years, devs were able to both caretake the game but also communicate. And suddenly they can't communicate?

Sorry, but none of the three above posts accurately answer why the Anniversary was SO difficult that they couldn't post right now.

• Shamsali75
    Shamsali75 Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options

normal they are obliged to count the banknotes

• jkzl
    jkzl Posts: 85 Match Maker
    edited November 2022
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    We have been through similar experiences multiple times over the past years:

The dev didn't provide timely updates to such thread.
    Players want to know when it will be updated and what happened that caused this delay.
    The dev didn't answer them "on time"
    The dev finally updated the thread and apologised.
    When the dev did explain the reason, it was always they were busy with other tasks or there were some delays.

You left out "vocal player announces that clearly the devs have given up on the game since they can't be bothered to update the thread." :smiley:

As someone that is trying to re-create the old google calendar, this info is actually pretty important to me, but I also know what it's like to balance a lot of priorities, and as such, I appreciate it when the info/calendar is updated, and survive when it's not. I much prefer to update the gcal (with it's tens of viewers) utilizing the what's new post, but sometimes I just gotta wing it from the other posts that come about (new character, etc), or by looking at the event to see who is boosted for the week.

Of course I realize that like many, I'm shouting in the wind that is the forums.

• statnut
    statnut Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options

@Bowgentle said:
    Come on.
    The community manager isn't busy working on the game.
    There's really no reason to not update this, all it takes is a look into the database where they store the upcoming events, not some voodoo that requires hours of dev time.

Brother Voodoo confirmed for the game confirmed.

• LavaManLee
    Options

I'm sure it's always a good sign for the game when there is radio silence for this long. I've confirmed that Reddit and Discord have not heard a peep from the developers either, so it is not just the forums being ignored.

• ViolentCabaret
    ViolentCabaret Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Options

My only real problem with this long silence is that it usually leads to Alliance events that come out of nowhere. Being able to plan and be ready for the grind would be ideal.

I’d have a lot more sympathy if PVE/PVP events hadn’t been coming out past what’s been listed. Clearly there are things on deck, automated or not, so simply listing what’s next is not a big ask. If the forums are not popular enough, perhaps an in-game calendar would serve to satisfy a larger number of players.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I'm sure it's the comms around Shardmas 3.0 that have taken up all the attention. There are clearly so many shard gifts that it's taken this long to write them all down and explain the changes.

But we are still expecting a new 5* in 3 days though, right?

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,370 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

It's about time someone did a bit of housekeeping on the excessive amount of stickies in #general-discussion too. Do we really need 13 pinned threads? 🤔