Upcoming Boss Event Re-Run: Gorr (8/25/22)

Options
IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,315 Site Admin
Wanted to give a bit of info on the upcoming Boss Event since there's a bit of chatter about it.

To start, we decided NOT to run this as a Heroic as originally planned. Basically what it comes down to is that we wanted to do some upgrades on the event itself that would make it more interesting and came to the realization that with the amount of time we had the choice was either to make it Heroic OR to put in the improvements we wanted. We decided to make the improvements, since we can always make the Heroic changes to any other run, but we may not always have the bandwidth to do mechanics updates. So! Standard event. But updates!

Changes from the previous run:
  • Updated Rewards (of course) - Will be rewarding Chasm covers/shards instead of Mighty Thor.
  • Background: The battle now takes place in The Shadow Realm. Enjoy the new backdrop!
  • Minor nodes: Will still loan the character listed on each node but will also require these characters. So will act like any other "pick two" style node.
  • Boss node: Loaned characters are now: Thor (Goddess), Thor (Modern), and Valkyrie. The node requires either Thor (Mighty) or Thor (Goddess).
  • Gorr: Gorr's Yellow ability, Nightmare Fuel has been updated. It now summons level appropriate Shadow Monster minions along with its normal function.
Nightmare Fuel - 7 Yellow AP
Gorr creates 3 2-turn Fortified Black Shadow Minion Repeater tiles (Maximum 6) that deal 37 damage to a random enemy.

(PASSIVE) At the start of the battle, Gorr creates 4 2-turn Fortified Black Shadow Minion Repeater tiles. For each of his Shadow Minions on the board, Gorr takes 8% less damage, and while Gorr has one or more Shadow Minions on the board he takes no extra damage from enemy Strike tiles. Whenever one of Gorr's Shadow Minions is destroyed, he gains 2 Yellow AP. If Gorr has 4 or more Shadow Minion tiles and has fewer than 2 teammates, he destroys 2 Shadow Minion tiles and summons a Shadow Monster minion.

Comments

• Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thanks for the advance notification. Inquiring minds always want to know. :smile:
  • CharlieLima
    CharlieLima Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Shadow realm- where all the tiles are black or white!
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Disappointed it's not a Heroic event, but it's awesome to see you putting work in to make them better!
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,938 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Love the idea that Gorr can summon Shadow Minions to his aid. It's a nice touch! *chef's kiss*
  • darkman84
    darkman84 Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Options
    Wait, so there will be both Boss event, and a regular PVE Thick as Thieves running at the same time (from 25.08)? Or did I miss something?
  • Wolvie171
    Wolvie171 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    darkman84 said:
    Wait, so there will be both Boss event, and a regular PVE Thick as Thieves running at the same time (from 25.08)? Or did I miss something?
    Yes, the What's New thread was updated last night to indicate both events will be starting on the same day & running simultaneously. It's also worth noting that Thick As Thieves is a new release event for 5* She-Hulk
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,339 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am definitely NOT a fan of both a boss and PVE running at same time.  Especially since we just had three PVE events for new releases in a row.  Burnout is real and no reason to make it happen if you don't have to do so.  JMHO.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I am definitely NOT a fan of both a boss and PVE running at same time.  Especially since we just had three PVE events for new releases in a row.  Burnout is real and no reason to make it happen if you don't have to do so.  JMHO.
    I tend to agree.  I also know that a frequent complaint during Boss events is that there is nothing to do once it is done so might just be my preference to get the extra time off.  
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 467 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    revskip said:
    I tend to agree.  I also know that a frequent complaint during Boss events is that there is nothing to do once it is done so might just be my preference to get the extra time off.  

My preference was when there was another non-timed event along with the Boss, like Puzzle Gauntlet would have been this week if they didn't change the scheduling for whatever reason. If you know there's a boss coming, you don't need to rush to complete gauntlet first day and can use it to tide you over once you've "finished" the boss.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    revskip said:

My preference was when there was another non-timed event along with the Boss, like Puzzle Gauntlet would have been this week if they didn't change the scheduling for whatever reason. If you know there's a boss coming, you don't need to rush to complete gauntlet first day and can use it to tide you over once you've "finished" the boss.
    Yeah, I usually save the puzzle gauntlet until later anyway to give me something to do. A good solution going forward would be to bring back a revamped version of the Gauntlet and just run that with the boss event. They could also bring back the old heroic events but make them progression only and run one with a boss event. 
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,202 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, I agree, pve and boss running tougher isn't ideal 

If I remember correctly, when the schedule first came out, they had puzzle gauntlet running at the same time as the boss event (like usual), but then they moved the puzzle gauntlet up a week.

@IceIX
    Is this a permanent change, or did the bonus 4* just throw things into temporary chaos?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,315 Site Admin
    Options
    Yeah, I agree, pve and boss running tougher isn't ideal 

If I remember correctly, when the schedule first came out, they had puzzle gauntlet running at the same time as the boss event (like usual), but then they moved the puzzle gauntlet up a week.

@IceIX
    Is this a permanent change, or did the bonus 4* just throw things into temporary chaos?
    The latter. It's a result of the bonus character crunch. We'll look at the metrics and anecdotes from players as to whether this'll stay, but likely a one-off.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,174 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Erm, why is the Recurring Nightmare token going to a post-event vault, instead of the current vault?
  • MingaLei
    MingaLei Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I just started it and I’m a little confused - it’s not supposed to be a restricted event, but it is requiring that 2/3 characters be Thors? I can’t change the first 2 to be anyone other than a Thor. 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,052 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Worse than that, after you kill Gorr the battle doesn't end. You have to finish the minions too :(

We need a hotfix fast.

KGB
  • Eirikr56
    Eirikr56 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    MingaLei said:
    I just started it and I’m a little confused - it’s not supposed to be a restricted event, but it is requiring that 2/3 characters be Thors? I can’t change the first 2 to be anyone other than a Thor. 
    It looks like it can be Throg, but not BRB and not another 'loaner' like Valk. Seems fairly arbitrary and it is not what was made clear from the event description. 
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,339 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It takes longer to figure out who you can actually play with then to beat Gorr.  There has to be a better way to indicate who is required for which slot.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tokens are for the wrong vault.
  • JimboJambo
    JimboJambo Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Looks like slot 1 is restricted to male Thor and slot 2 has to be a female Thor.
  • chris0001
    chris0001 Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This boss event is cursed!  Lol  hopefully they can do a hot patch and fix the event.