**** Gorr (The God Butcher) ****

Options

Comments

• AdeptusRevolt
    AdeptusRevolt Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    Two observations to be confirmed: This will trigger on initial placements, and like Elektra it will be triggered on Kitty's boost of tiles since those powers are technically replacing tiles. 
    I am wrong on the latter (based on an answer I got on discord). 
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,396 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The new Thor is going to shake up the meta quite a bit. It should be your goal to champ her. She won’t do much against older meta teams but she will certainly cause problems for Polaris teams. She will also bring older characters out of the rosters.
  • AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So I'm fairly new to MPQ with just over a year playing, but I'm not 100% understanding the contempt with which many players view Polaris..?  Don't get me wrong.  She is a beast (especially in PVE), but I actually seek out Pol teams in PVP as her health is so low that even my poor roster can take her out in 1 or 2 turns.  And I've only just started to dabble in PVP.  Sorry if I'm missing something obvious. ;)

Certainly no argument that this new character was designed with her (& BRB) in mind.  It will be interesting to see how effective the black and yellow powers are for non-Polaris (& BRB) teams.
    My opinion obviously, ymmv. I'm a 4* player, so can't speak to Colossus&SWitch or anything to that effect.
    Polaris is easy to beat, yes. I stomp on all Polaris teams I see very easily and quickly, they're easy points. 
    Problem with Polaris in 4* land is the over-saturation. She dominates the meta to the extent that she basically pushed out all other 4* characters. Most weeks, it's actually become kinda uncommon that I even see boosted 4stars in PvP at all. (With exceptions. I'm sure we'll see lots of boosted Juggs this week.) It's either half-covered boosted 5stars with 50k+ health or Polaris teams. Nothing else.
    People keep saying "there will always be a meta", but the thing is-- while that's true, it was not this bad in the past. C4rol meta had lots of variety, because while there were lots and lots of C4rol teams, once you got above a certain point threshold it was boosted 4stars all the way which brought a good variety every week. GRocket/Kitty meta was terrible to face in Sim (Sabretooth didn't exist yet), but in regular pvps they surprisingly weren't run that much. So yes, while there was always a meta, 4* land used to have a lot more actual 4* variety before Polaris.
  • scottishhaig
    scottishhaig Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options
    AlexR said:
    So I'm fairly new to MPQ with just over a year playing, but I'm not 100% understanding the contempt with which many players view Polaris..?  Don't get me wrong.  She is a beast (especially in PVE), but I actually seek out Pol teams in PVP as her health is so low that even my poor roster can take her out in 1 or 2 turns.  And I've only just started to dabble in PVP.  Sorry if I'm missing something obvious. ;)

Certainly no argument that this new character was designed with her (& BRB) in mind.  It will be interesting to see how effective the black and yellow powers are for non-Polaris (& BRB) teams.
    My opinion obviously, ymmv. I'm a 4* player, so can't speak to Colossus&SWitch or anything to that effect.
    Polaris is easy to beat, yes. I stomp on all Polaris teams I see very easily and quickly, they're easy points. 
    Problem with Polaris in 4* land is the over-saturation. She dominates the meta to the extent that she basically pushed out all other 4* characters. Most weeks, it's actually become kinda uncommon that I even see boosted 4stars in PvP at all. (With exceptions. I'm sure we'll see lots of boosted Juggs this week.) It's either half-covered boosted 5stars with 50k+ health or Polaris teams. Nothing else.
    People keep saying "there will always be a meta", but the thing is-- while that's true, it was not this bad in the past. C4rol meta had lots of variety, because while there were lots and lots of C4rol teams, once you got above a certain point threshold it was boosted 4stars all the way which brought a good variety every week. GRocket/Kitty meta was terrible to face in Sim (Sabretooth didn't exist yet), but in regular pvps they surprisingly weren't run that much. So yes, while there was always a meta, 4* land used to have a lot more actual 4* variety before Polaris.
    Understood!  Thanks for clarifying! :)
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Am I reading that Black power right?

The 1st part is easy (deals damage per repeater and kills if lower than %).

It's the otherwise clause. Does that trigger if there are no repeaters OR does that trigger if you don't down the target from the damage from the repeater? I'm assuming it's the former and is meant for when you don't have repeaters out (otherwise the Black can't be fired at all). To me, that might be the better part of the power (depending on the numbers of course) because doing 10% of max health (esp vs 5*) might do more damage esp since it can't be blocked in any way.

Regarding the Purple, is it destroying the created special tiles? It doesn't read that way to me. It just reads that if the enemy places specials that turn then on the CHARACTERS turn (so they gotta survive till their turn), they convert all new tiles (isn't that those that fell during enemy turn) into match damage, not the special tiles themselves. Or is it that when Polaris does her thing, are those considered 'new tiles'?

KGB
  • jkenn58
    jkenn58 Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Let's hope he's Fo5ster feeder
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    Options
    KGB said:
    Am I reading that Black power right?

The 1st part is easy (deals damage per repeater and kills if lower than %).

It's the otherwise clause. Does that trigger if there are no repeaters OR does that trigger if you don't down the target from the damage from the repeater? I'm assuming it's the former and is meant for when you don't have repeaters out (otherwise the Black can't be fired at all). To me, that might be the better part of the power (depending on the numbers of course) because doing 10% of max health (esp vs 5*) might do more damage esp since it can't be blocked in any way.

Regarding the Purple, is it destroying the created special tiles? It doesn't read that way to me. It just reads that if the enemy places specials that turn then on the CHARACTERS turn (so they gotta survive till their turn), they convert all new tiles (isn't that those that fell during enemy turn) into match damage, not the special tiles themselves. Or is it that when Polaris does her thing, are those considered 'new tiles'?

KGB
    I read black as (i) on cast it always proc's random damage for each repeater on the board,  then it does  a second thing that is either (ii) down the target if their health is below a target %, or (iii) deal a fixed % damage to the target if the conditions for (ii) aren't met.

For purple,  I think you are right that the the tiles get placed and then IF the character survives until the next turn,  the power will proc,  removing the tiles and converting their strength to match damage and a new special tile. It should affect Polaris. To me the question is whether it affects (1) WM's red attack tiles/ultron sentry tiles that aren't placed by fall into the board, and (2) strengthened tiles by characters like Nico or 4* Carol, etc.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

I read black as (i) on cast it always proc's raven damage for each repeater on the board,  the it does  a second thing that is either (ii) down the target if their health is below a target %, or (iii) deal a fixed % damage to the target if the conditions for (ii) aren't met.

For purple,  I think you are right that the the tiles get placed and then IF the character survives until the next turn,  the power will proc,  removing the tiles and converting their strength to match damage and a new special tile. It should affect Polaris. To me the question is whether it affects (1) WM's red attack tiles/ultron sentry tiles that aren't placed by fall into the board, and (2) strengthened tiles by characters like Nico or 4* Carol, etc.

Ah, I get the Black power now. It needs a period instead of a comma
    Deals low damage to a random enemy for each of <CHARACTER>'s Repeater tiles on the board. Then if the target has less than low% health remaining, down them; Otherwise, deals damage equal to low% of the target's maximum health, ignoring all Strike and Protect tiles.

I guess on the Purple power the wording is a bit vague again. When it says 'new tiles' does it mean special tiles or does it mean new tiles that actually drop in from the top via matches (or board destruction from say Thoress's passive or some row / column destruction powers. It would be nice to get the wording fixed or clarified.

KGB

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,284 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jkenn58 said:
    Let's hope he's Fo5ster feeder
    If this really is Gorr, my money is on Odin feeder.  Too soon for Jane in my mind
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
     And his black repeaters are called minions.  :D 
    Could it be that we missed the point and on his new movie Gru fights a Marvel superhero?  :smile:
    Indeed this character looks as good as the previous one, good  for 5* and 4* players, and someone really useful with apoc/ okoye as he ignores strike tiles. 
    I'm curious to see the great blast he can perform vs a polaris type team.
    And now he enters the repeaters meta. He will have a tough time vs new thor.
    And I will talk about this topic on next Q&A: it will happen the same as happens when playing Sinister. If playing with SW, and then apoc releasing repeaters it will be really hard to identificate all of them on the board. This character has black repeaters, but the others can put randomly repeaters on black too. If playing Abby she creates randomly repeaters too.
    The suggestion I can come is to encircle the repeater in the colored brand of the power which created it. That could help a lot those bloated board tactics.
  • Xerobulll
    Xerobulll Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options
    It’s Gorr. 

"Anti-thiest"

Anti: opposed to; against.
    Theist (misspelled on purpose): a person who believes in the existence of a god or gods, specifically of a creator who intervenes in the universe.
  • Valdoraptor
    Valdoraptor Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Polaris: <chuckles> "I'm in danger!"
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Xerobulll said:
    It’s Gorr. 

"Anti-thiest"

Anti: opposed to; against.
    Theist (misspelled on purpose): a person who believes in the existence of a god or gods, specifically of a creator who intervenes in the universe.

Queue up the "but gorr should be a 5*!" debate.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Does the game really need another Polaris counter? From what I understand, there are already effective characters and teams. 

Currently off the top of my head there is:

Strong Counters
    5* Mighty Thor
    4* Morbius
    4* Mantis
    4* Sabertooth (strike tiles only)

Soft Counters
    5* Cyclops  (strike and protects)
    5* Elektra
    4* Throg
    4* Doc Ock (only on Blue, Black, Yellow tiles)
    4* Blob (only on tiles at bottom two rows)

I am sure there are others like Wiccan and 5* DD but I don't know how effective those abilities are since she is most often paired with BRB or 4* R&G. I don't know if yet another counter will do anything to shake up the 4* meta, especially since this character doesn't seem to have stun immunity. 
  • Vhailorx
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Does the game really need another Polaris counter? From what I understand, there are already effective characters and teams. 

Strong Counters
    5* Mighty Thor
    4* Morbius
    4* Mantis

Soft Counters
    5* Elektra
    4* Throg

I am sure there are others like Wiccan and 5* DD but I don't know how effective those abilities are since she is most often paired with BRB or 4* R&G. I don't know if yet another counter will do anything to shake up the 4* meta, especially since this character doesn't seem to have stun immunity. 
    Also 5* colossus can just brute force burn down even a 370 polaris with match damage before she can do much.
    But I agree with your overall point,  fight:  Polaris is not oppressively dominant like OG gambit, but she is still the best 4* by a decent margin right now. there are plenty of ways to play against her. we don't need more anti-Polaris tools so much as we need more Polaris-level options to bring variety into the 4* end-game (or a Polaris nerf, but that has its own problems).

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

Strong Counters
    5* Mighty Thor
    4* Morbius
    4* Mantis

Soft Counters
    5* Elektra
    4* Throg

Also 5* colossus can just brute force burn down even a 370 polaris with match damage before she can do much.
    But I agree with your overall point,  fight:  Polaris is not oppressively dominant like OG gambit, but she is still the best 4* by a decent margin right now. there are plenty of ways to play against her. we don't need more anti-Polaris tools so much as we need more Polaris-level options to bring variety into the 4* end-game (or a Polaris nerf, but that has its own problems).

I think the problem is just that: Polaris is on another level compared to other 4* characters, especially because she plays so well with Beta Ray Bill. For players who are in that sweet spot between 4* and 5* MMR realms, I imagine that team is highly effective and a good health pack saver. I mean it comes with damage mitigation via BRB protect tiles, passive damage, strong damage and the ability to stun an enemy for 4 turns, generate AP in preferred colors and generate more special tiles. 

It also has the capability to go winfinite. So it's not really surprising that the meta hasn't shifted away from her despite there being good counters and I don't think adding more counters will sway people away from using her. As you pointed out, they either need to develop more 4* characters that play at her level which would create a kind of 4.5 tier or nerf her if the goal is to encourage players to use other 4* characters. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nerfing polaris would be quite surprising since almost all characters sinergy well with her and specifically latest characters like KK are stronger with her and even new MT will help to spam her special tiles along with charged tiles. 
    Nerfing polaris could have a similar backslash than nerfing okoye. 
    On the other hand this new character could have a great sinergy with always forgotten venom4*, if the numbers are high enough.

• allen_koholic
    allen_koholic Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I realize that Purple passive is supposed to be a hard counter to Polaris, but honestly, that's going to help Polaris/BRB teams more than it hurts.  That's an auto 3+ blue AP dumped right back into them, and three turns is more than enough time to get enough AP to stun lock Gorr.

You know what's a better idea?  Fixing Polaris so that her green only procs on friendly matches, not tile destruction.

Gorr seems alright.  Nothing super amazing.  Kinda like 4* kitty.  I doubt that black will do enough damage to care and the trigger will probably be like 20%, tops.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Even without seeing the numbers I will go 5,5,3.  I just don’t see Polaris enough as a 5* player to get consistent value out of the purple passive.  Only time I see it having value in PVE is a heavy ninja waive node