I think the dev can go with something fun related to internet slang, like:

Puck goes with WT* --> WTP
    Samurai Daken goes with OMG --> OMD
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,638 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Xax said:
    @IceIX I’m gonna need you to handhold me through that clue lol
    Check out his Wikipedia. His fictional biography says he was hired to steal the Black Blade of Baghdad. It basically sounds like he got his powers from the blade...I didn't really read the whole thing. 

It is one of the worst origin stories they ever did. When Puck first appeared, it was hinted that his Dwarfism caused him pain and so he learned meditation techniques to help him deal with it making him a semi-tragic character - he was also an olympic class athlete, gymnast and fighter. When they finally did his Origin it turns out actually he is a full sized man who stole a magic sword and got inhabited by a demon which made him shrink. I mean what the Pu...
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Also - what is going on with that costume?!?!? He looks like something that was rejected from being in the Flash Gordon movie because it was too camp.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,167 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think Rogue (and Gambit?) was 2017 Fan Favourite in the survey and she came out  great. She was my first champed 4* because she has both offensive and defensive ability. Today, I still use her for massive damage. 

Was Magneto part of any survey in 2020 or 2021? I don't remember any of the choices. 
    People had been vocally wanting a 5* Magneto for years on the forum but I can’t recall if he was in a survey outside of the ones they used to do with loads of characters available to pick from.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hopefully, there's another shot in the future where the Magneto gets a villian tag instead. Villian characters are usually more aggressive, and the hero 5* Magneto in the game holds more of a protector role.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    GrimSkald said:
    OMG. AM I THE ONLY ONE HAPPY ABOUT THIS?!?

Do Snowbird next! 

Nah, I was a big fan of Alpha Flight too.  Neat team, though honestly different writers started really screwing around with the characters too much, IMHO.

I blame Bill Mantlo for the beginning of that...
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Hopefully, there's another shot in the future where the Magneto gets a villian tag instead. Villian characters are usually more aggressive, and the hero 5* Magneto in the game holds more of a protector role.

If they just gave us a 5* version of 3* Magneto I would honestly be happy with that.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    We might run into some problem because Onslaught can do what his red does with a match-4. His red needs to deal x times of what Onslaught's doing, which is 1316 per tu tile destroyed. I'll probably turn his yellow into black/purple power where he turns all SAP tiles on the board into strike tiles. The blue is fine.

Coming back to Alpha Flight, there doesn't seem to be much synergy between him and Northstar. One synergy is Northstar sending himself and the enemy airborne so that Puck has more opportunity to tank.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited May 2022
    Options
    We might run into some problem because Onslaught can do what his red does with a match-4. His red needs to deal x times of what Onslaught's doing, which is 1316 per tu tile destroyed. I'll probably turn his yellow into black/purple power where he turns all SAP tiles on the board into strike tiles. The blue is fine.

Coming back to Alpha Flight, there doesn't seem to be much synergy between him and Northstar. One synergy is Northstar sending himself and the enemy airborne so that Puck has more opportunity to tank.
    I would suggest that 5* Magneto's blue is the power that most needs to be fixed - he needs to keep turning tiles from green to yellow every turn he is airborne. Right now if you set that power to 5 covers, it only does marginally more damage per triplet of yellow AP than at 4, and he stays airborne for an extra turn doing nothing. I don't love the fact that he both wants you to sit on yellow AND burn yellow, but I could live with that decision. Red needs to keep counting down while he is airborne. 
  • DAZ0273
    Options

I would suggest that 5* Magneto's blue is the power that most needs to be fixed - he needs to keep turning tiles from green to yellow every turn he is airborne. Right now if you set that power to 5 covers, it only does marginally more damage per triplet of yellow AP than at 4, and he stays airborne for an extra turn doing nothing. I don't love the fact that he both wants you to sit on yellow AND burn yellow, but I could live with that decision. Red needs to keep counting down while he is airborne. 

I think Hound might be talking about my idea of having 3* Mags as a 5* version because yes, very much 5* Mags blue is completely self defeating.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Right on; that occurred to me after I typed that, but I think the suggestion stands. You could work with the raw materials 5* Magneto has but as currently implemented he is hugely underwhelming.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    Yup, I was talking about 3* Mag --> 5* Mag.

As a consolation for the current 5* Mag, you can team him with Electro against iHulk in shield sim to get free yellow aps. Then, use Wanda's purple to focus on yellow to get +150% increase in power damage and concentrate on matching blues. I think his blue does separate hits of 8? So if one is down, the other hit will carry over to the next enemy?
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It doesn’t look like people are talking much about his actual powers or usefulness, so here’s my take: 

6 Red: 3500 dmg + possible 1 turn stun. Meh!

8 Green: randomly rotate tiles, if he matches, deal 5,700 each time.  Really? This is a Russian roulette power that could easily do nothing! If it works once, the damage is mediocre.  If it works 2 or 3 times, it’s great, but what are the odds of that?

6 Black: create 3 or 5 black 69 protect tiles.  Wow, that’s a waste of black AP.  

Black passive: if damaged for 15%, deal a 3,000 AOE.  This is his defining power and surely why his other powers are lame.  It’s just like 2* Storm, only being useful on defense.  It could trigger on 5* match dmg, but he’s not likely to be tanking, unless boosted, and then it would take around 5K dmg to trigger.  I don’t see a good way to use this offensively, but it can be annoying on defense.  But I doubt anyone will choose this guy for PVP defense.  

Overall, this is a nearly useless character, IMO
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2022
    Options
    bbigler said:
    It doesn’t look like people are talking much about his actual powers or usefulness, so here’s my take: 

6 Red: 3500 dmg + possible 1 turn stun. Meh!

8 Green: randomly rotate tiles, if he matches, deal 5,700 each time.  Really? This is a Russian roulette power that could easily do nothing! If it works once, the damage is mediocre.  If it works 2 or 3 times, it’s great, but what are the odds of that?

6 Black: create 3 or 5 black 69 protect tiles.  Wow, that’s a waste of black AP.  

Black passive: if damaged for 15%, deal a 3,000 AOE.  This is his defining power and surely why his other powers are lame.  It’s just like 2* Storm, only being useful on defense.  It could trigger on 5* match dmg, but he’s not likely to be tanking, unless boosted, and then it would take around 5K dmg to trigger.  I don’t see a good way to use this offensively, but it can be annoying on defense.  But I doubt anyone will choose this guy for PVP defense.  

Overall, this is a nearly useless character, IMO
    I take offense having posted a breakdown of his kit above. I largely agree with you; the only caveat being that I was slightly more agnostic about the value of the green. I just don't know how often it will result in 2+ matches in practice.  If it's somewhat reliable, that I think he could be decent between the black passive and green 'nuke.'

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,942 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bad said:
    KGB said:
    You really need him to Tank to make effective use of the Green since you only get the mega damage if Puck makes the match.  So if you team him with Medusa and/or Polaris you are probably going to need supports for him to tank because it's quite likely you have both those characters well into the 300 level range so he'd only tank Black.

KGB
    Yeah I thought about that.
    But red power is his first color, Medusa is her second, and green power her second, polaris her third. 
    Actually all 4*s have identical status. The number of covers needed for a 4* first power tanking another superior 4* second power is 16 less covers.
    For maxed 370 level 4*s, he exactly would tank them at level 354.
    The idea of getting him to level 354 is laughable because it probably won't ever happen. If you sharded him exclusively it takes ~25 LT's to get 1 sharded cover. You need 84 covers (after champing him) which is 2100 LT's. If you crack 4 hoards a year for the 5*s (13 a year means 4 hoard cracks to cover them) and 300 covers per hoard you need 1.75 years of exclusively sharding him and him only to get to 354. Not gonna happen.

Even if your Polaris/Medusa are just in the 320 range (very likely for most veteran 4* players since those 2 are important characters) you need to reach L304 to tank which means 34 covers after champing. 34*25 = ~850 LTs or roughly 9 months time (cracking a 300 hoard every 3 months). That's an incredibly long time to shard a single mediocre/low end 4* just to make 1 team for him.

Unless he's a feeder no one is going to shard him so that team is unlikely to ever happen.

KGB
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KGB said:

Unless he's a feeder no one is going to shard him so that team is unlikely to ever happen.

KGB
    Are you sure?
    Because I have a fully covered level 70 dupe polaris.
    Just leveling her to level 270 without champing her soon I will have my team. 
    And to have a dupe polaris is not so laughable idea.
    Same for medusa.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Some ideas I have is Lokigator if you are focusing on Puck's black passive power. However, it requires Lokigator to be the highest level to create purple charged tiles and requires facing certain opponent who can trigger his passive easily.

Lokigator goes invisible for 5 turn right at the start of the game. Whenever the player matches or destroys a purple charged tile, Lokigator renew his invisibility to 5 turn or become invisible for 5 turn.  On top of that, it has some sort of heal whenever you match each character strongest colour charged tile.

A third would be Mysterio, Northstar or Silk. 
    Mysterio will stun the highest levelled character while generating yellow for Lokigator to create more charged tiles. Then, Mysterio can go invisible so that Puck tanks and his passive has 1/8 chance of destroying Mysterio's trap tiles or Lokigator's charged tiles.

As for Silk, destroying web tiles will heal Puck massively and she will tank yellow, blue and black. Her special tiles and web tiles provide constant healing to Puck.

Northstar's blue can help to gain blue/yellow/black ap while targetting purple charged tiles if needed. On top of that, he can send an enemy and himself airborne for one turn.

The problem with Lokigator + Northstar/Mysterio is that the healing is not consistent. Silk provides the best healing for Puck while increasing his damage with her strike tiles. I'm not sure how Puck's green will work on the field but his green generate matches often, I think I would shift to his green.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,942 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Bad said:

Are you sure?
    Because I have a fully covered level 70 dupe polaris.
    Just leveling her to level 270 without champing her soon I will have my team. 
    And to have a dupe polaris is not so laughable idea.
    Same for medusa.
    Sure, people can and do have dupes.

I guess the question is really why bother with Puck (outside of him being essential) when Grocket makes 100x the better partner than Puck does for Polaris/Medusa. You don't get any protect tiles until you get 6 black AP and even then you only get 2 (until 1/2 health) so your chances to match to create more/heal are quite low. It's going to be incredibly slow to get this team started enough that you are creating tons of protects and Medusa is healing (you won't get any green/blue/purple AP until you match enemy tiles).

KGB
  • Bad
    Options
    Passives shaking board are hugely underrated.
    Thor provides AP, but his passive is not so good only for that. It shakes the board, destroying 5 tiles, provides cascades or good matches.
    Puck destroys 8 tiles. For to create strikes and for to stun there is polaris on the team. I want to try that. Obviously I'm a 5* player and I won't use that team. But honestly I think all of you are underrating his passive, and his green power, as it always happens when there aren't powers increasing damage for allies or just dealing a huge amount of damage. 
  • Bad
    Options
    KGB said:

I guess the question is really why bother with Puck (outside of him being essential) when Grocket makes 100x the better partner than Puck does for Polaris/Medusa. 

Now that's a tricky question.
    Is Grocket the best partner for polaris? Obviously no one will deploy 7 strikes for polaris right from the start for finishing at fast speed.
    But after he deploys the strikes, what's grocket's help? Obviously not his wildly expensive blue, which never will be rebalanced due to all people using him. Nevertheless, polaris will fire her blue.
    His green is expensive too and potentially can hurt the team, still it's the only viable help grocket can offer.
    On the other hand, puck can destroy a row and the special tiles within, dealing AoE(and there is no limit per turn) his green will shake the board if not dealing great damage, and black and red can be combined for extra stun.
    Without trying it out first, I think it's a bold move to discard this team.