It's time to start releasing more 3*s

13»

Comments

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just make every pvp Balance of Power and you solve every problem for 1* to 4* tier. 5* players, especially 550 rosters, would hate this though.
    Wow, you just thought of a way to instantly kill the game.  Impressive.  
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Balance of Power seems to be a popular pvp. 1* to 4* players complain about getting beaten up by 5* players, and doing this will even the playing field for them. It's like playing Simulator, except that you can use 1* to 4* without getting beaten up easily.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Balance of Power seems to be a popular pvp. 1* to 4* players complain about getting beaten up by 5* players, and doing this will even the playing field for them. It's like playing Simulator, except that you can use 1* to 4* without getting beaten up easily.
    Yes, it's popular with low level casual players who can have 550's for one event.  If you made every event balance of power then players who have whaled their way into having multiple 550's have no advantage and no reason to spend money any more.
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 471 Mover and Shaker
    Most players with multiple 550's have already stopped spending and do more than fine off of gameplay at this point, it's the people scrambling to catch up to them that would stop spending in this scenario.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    roderic1 said:
    More 3*s don't help older players and dilute the pool for younger players. 6*s immediately reduce the value of 5*s most likely. Like Srheer0's idea, I'd like to see a system where 1* - 3* can be prestiged to get them up to higher amounts of health and make them more usable in higher tier play. It'd be something that would only be available once you hit SCL 10 or 11 but would, over time, give value back to having a robust roster. 

Either that or come up with some sort of event boost that raises the level of 1*-3* characters based on the number of unique characters on a roster, giving them a health boost similar to a regular or boosted 4* character. 
    What's the point of giving 3* a bigger boost via prestige levels? There is already a 100 level boost so a 166 reaches 266 which is effectively a the base champ level of a 4* (270).

Do you really think being able to add another 25-50 levels is going to make anyone use a 3* over a 4/5*? 4* hit dramatically harder than 3's and 5s have massive match damage. No one is going to use a 3* unless forced to do so.

What they really need to do for PvP is make it so there is no longer just 1 required character. Every event would have several required characters to chose from (like the house of X PvP where you can chose one of several 3/4* X-men characters to use. That way for higher level play you'd at least always have at least a 4* character instead of dragging around a 3*.  If they did theme based PvP then we could have House of X, Guardians of Galaxy (1 guardian on your team), Deadpool (3, 4 or 5* deadpool), InHumans (1 inhuman on your team). Endless theme based possibilities.

KGB
  • roderic1
    roderic1 Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    The point is to keep the rest of the roster remotely useful. I don't think they're ever going to do anything that will alleviate the crunch we feel on roster size and slots. It'd be nice if the slots were good for more than just farming. And for higher level players, no, this probably doesn't move the needle much. 

But most of what they do these days doesn't move the needle for those players. 

Ideally, I'd actually like to see a prestige system that takes 1-4* all the way to level 445. I know, wishful thinking. I assume the developers want diversity of teams in the game. By allowing more characters to achieve higher levels of health and damage, rosters that are struggling to effectively roster 5*s can use other characters. 

Around to the point, if I can make a new 3* character more useful to my roster over time (sitting at 300 slots right now) I would be willing to see more 3*s. But if they will immediately fall into mediocrity and farming, then I'd prefer not to have more 3*s. 

Regarding additional required characters, it does make more of the roster required, but it doesn't make the teams very diverse, because there are only so many combinations from that required list. 
  • KGB
    roderic1 said:

Ideally, I'd actually like to see a prestige system that takes 1-4* all the way to level 445. I know, wishful thinking. I assume the developers want diversity of teams in the game. By allowing more characters to achieve higher levels of health and damage, rosters that are struggling to effectively roster 5*s can use other characters. 

It still won't help. Have you ever noticed when the Balance of Power PVP (all characters to L550) comes around that you *still* don't see 3* characters and below? The reason is their health and powers don't scale up enough to make them competitive to 4 and 5* characters even when they are at the same level (550).

Also even if they allowed you to add more levels beyond 266 to 3* characters it would take many years to get them to L450 (my own 3* farm only flips once a year and that's 100 level so it would be 3 years to get a newly champed 3* from 166 to 466 via champ levels.

The truth is that 2* and below have no real place in the game any more and 3* are just for farm rewards.

KGB

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:
    roderic1 said:

It still won't help. Have you ever noticed when the Balance of Power PVP (all characters to L550) comes around that you *still* don't see 3* characters and below? The reason is their health and powers don't scale up enough to make them competitive to 4 and 5* characters even when they are at the same level (550).

Also even if they allowed you to add more levels beyond 266 to 3* characters it would take many years to get them to L450 (my own 3* farm only flips once a year and that's 100 level so it would be 3 years to get a newly champed 3* from 166 to 466 via champ levels.

The truth is that 2* and below have no real place in the game any more and 3* are just for farm rewards.

KGB

This is the problem of only looking at things from your own perspective and not considering everyone else.  New players that are casual depend on 1*s, 2*s and 3*s to fight with.  It’s all a part of the progression from tier to tier.  Champ levels facilitate the transition between tiers.  And champ rewards make all those 2* & 3* covers worth something to every player.  The transition between 1*s and 2*s is so fast that 1* champs are unnecessary.  

Plus, we have a rotating group of boosted characters which adds variety to the game, making lesser characters still playable.  On top of that variety, they continue to add new characters as well.  I respect the system they’ve created here, it’s clever and tries to accommodate everyone and keep everyone interested.  
  • KGB
    edited April 2022
    Obviously the 1, 2 and 3* tier have value for new players entering the game. It's how they get hooked on playing and with the fast progression though those tiers it keeps them hooked.   So I would never want to see those tiers disappear plus I too like farming them.

My point about them having no place is that they don't have any place for 4* and beyond rosters. Once you firmly cross into 4* land and beyond, those lower tier characters no longer have any place and it would be ideal if they adjusted PvP to reflect that (no more 3* only PvP so there would always be at least 1 or more characters from 4 and 5* land that would be usable as the essential).

KGB
  • Weirdnerd2009
    Weirdnerd2009 Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    I honestly would prefer they finish releasing 4* characters and establish the 6* tier. Obviously that would require a restructuring of the reward system, opening of new Clearance Levels and begs the question of what a 6* character would be but the 4* tier is already bloated as it is and the 5* tier has reached a sort of equilibrium in terms of power dynamics.

I don't see how expanding the 3* tier really benefits anyone. I would be more open to the idea if they designed new 3* characters to have better synergy with the higher tiers but I don't know if there really is a big enough market for 3* characters to justify the cost in developing new ones. 

They can always restructure champ rewards to include more 4* shards in the existing 3* champ rewards scheme. With that said, I suspect the reason for their reluctance to move on is that the 4* tier is still currently a significant money maker for the game. I wouldn't be surprised if offers featuring Polaris have made more money than most 5* offers. 
    If 6* were ever introduced, I'd like for it to stay really exclusive, like Galactus, Uatu, Stan Lee and Paste Pot Pete, just the best of the best
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards
    I honestly would prefer they finish releasing 4* characters and establish the 6* tier. Obviously that would require a restructuring of the reward system, opening of new Clearance Levels and begs the question of what a 6* character would be but the 4* tier is already bloated as it is and the 5* tier has reached a sort of equilibrium in terms of power dynamics.

I don't see how expanding the 3* tier really benefits anyone. I would be more open to the idea if they designed new 3* characters to have better synergy with the higher tiers but I don't know if there really is a big enough market for 3* characters to justify the cost in developing new ones. 

They can always restructure champ rewards to include more 4* shards in the existing 3* champ rewards scheme. With that said, I suspect the reason for their reluctance to move on is that the 4* tier is still currently a significant money maker for the game. I wouldn't be surprised if offers featuring Polaris have made more money than most 5* offers. 
    If 6* were ever introduced, I'd like for it to stay really exclusive, like Galactus, Uatu, Stan Lee and Paste Pot Pete, just the best of the best
    Super awesome post, 10/10!
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    No more 3 stars , they are pretty much useless after a certain point.

They aren't even a really effective farm currently ( takes a longish time to hit max rank) and adding more to the pool will just make it worse.
  • Ugh
    Ugh Posts: 83 Match Maker
    If the problem is lack of feeders, then adding more characters isn't the answer.  Are you going to add 3*'s until the number of them match 4*?  Then you would have to add a 3* every time you add a 4* to keep up.  I personally wouldn't mind an occasional new 3* to add to variety as no matter how much you progress you still end up using them for some things.  It should be done to improve that tier though, not to fix another problem.

If you want to fix a feeder problem then you need to address that actual problem.  I would say the current system is just poorly done.  Since their are such different number of characters at each level having each character give out specific covers isn't working because the devs don't want to be constantly changing the rewards to set this up.  I don't blame them.  So we get an update from time to time while in the meantime people complain.

Here is a better idea.  Instead of giving out specific covers why don't characters give out specialized tokens.  For example right now 3* Doc Ock gives out a 4* Carnage cover at level 183.  Logic would say he should give out a 4* dock ock cover but this was set up before that was created and maybe at some point that will get changed, but no matter how many times you cycle through with him you always get carnage.  Why not make that a 4* Sinister 6 token where you could get Carnage, Sandman, Doc Ock, Vulture, etc., but only character with that affiliation.  more work to set up, but once it's set up, but once it is then if they say add a 4* Hobgoblin as a new character, they can put him in that token and boom he's got a feeder with little work.  You don't get a guaranteed character each time, but you never have to have a character without some kind of feeder again no matter how many are in each tier.  You could really apply the same logic to shards as well.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2022
    DAZ0273 said:

Super awesome post, 10/10!
    I’d want the Beyonder with the power : Battleworld - Character is sent to a planet where he is locked out of playing in current event for remainder of event. (3* -  8 hours, 4*- 24 hours , 5*- full event)

Disney would make Stan the worst villain in the game .