am i alone in thinking this

drcheese
drcheese Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
why is The Hood so prominently featured in the story events. he seems to be in every single one and also he sucks to play against.

Comments

• StanleyBurrell
    StanleyBurrell Posts: 143 Tile Toppler
    My guess is he was new when a lot of these events were created. I would like to see some character swaps in these older events.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,083 Chairperson of the Boards
    Black Widow Operation Spider Silk (or whatever it is called) would be the last one I think.
  • drcheese
    i never read the cutscenes either. it would be interesting if there was a way to randomize or cycle the enemies around for the story events but i don't see that happening
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hahahaha.  You can date every event release based on the chars that appear.  The only one that gets consistently and regularly updated is simulator.  That’s said, they have done occasional pve refreshes where they feature a new char.  In any case hood is a powerhouse at the 2*/3* tier.  In fact he was one of the first infinite ap engines and nerfed by making his yellow automatically end his turn.  

Hmm they could nerf Shang the same way by ending his turn after a purple or red cast hehehe.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 586 Critical Contributor
    In the very early days of this game, it was actually named Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Avengers, which is why the DA characters cast such a long shadow on so many of the story events. I don't think there is a ton of return on investment for them creating events compared to adding characters; the most recent additions I can recall (other than puzzle gauntlet and the various Introducing... ones) were the Spider-Man Far From Home set of events. As much as I like the idea of new story content, if I'm being honest I never read the cut scenes anymore so it is something of a waste of effort i'd imagine.
    I'll read the next funny one. I still breeze through and occasionally chuckle at Deadpool vs MPQ and Webbed Wonder's stories.
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 471 Mover and Shaker
    I have a really hard time imagining in what way new events would take more than a couple hours to bang out EACH, especially when you can crib a lot of existing resources and would maybe do a bit to break up our general monotony... biggest stumbling block is probably that the couple new minion types they came out with are really slow and annoying (sentinels, AIM) so I can't imagine any events heavily featuring them would be well-received, we already complain when sentries or mindless ones have their days.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:
    Hahahaha.  You can date every event release based on the chars that appear.  The only one that gets consistently and regularly updated is simulator.  That’s said, they have done occasional pve refreshes where they feature a new char.  In any case hood is a powerhouse at the 2*/3* tier.  In fact he was one of the first infinite ap engines and nerfed by making his yellow automatically end his turn.  

Hmm they could nerf Shang the same way by ending his turn after a purple or red cast hehehe.
    Does he need a nerf though? He's not THAT bad to face when he is on defence. I wish Hood's hard-stop thing would get lifted so Danver5 could be usable again.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I'd wager that having the background art created and any intersticial animations are probably the hard part of adding content. Based on some communication we've seen here over the years, it does seem like event rotation is somehow and for some reason very manual; I've never been sure what to make of that.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:

Does he need a nerf though? He's not THAT bad to face when he is on defence. I wish Hood's hard-stop thing would get lifted so Danver5 could be usable again.
    Hood used to be an absolute nightmare to face, back when the game required you to match tiles and cast powers to win.  Now, we all just immediately murder everything with crazy passives, so he's not an issue.  I wonder if OP is at a different roster tier where the passives are weaker?

The issues with creating new events aren't the fights, it's the background art (it's always the art!), layout, and dialogue.  I think Marvel has to approve that stuff too.
  • Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    In the very early days of this game, it was actually named Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Avengers, which is why the DA characters cast such a long shadow on so many of the story events. I don't think there is a ton of return on investment for them creating events compared to adding characters; the most recent additions I can recall (other than puzzle gauntlet and the various Introducing... ones) were the Spider-Man Far From Home set of events. As much as I like the idea of new story content, if I'm being honest I never read the cut scenes anymore so it is something of a waste of effort i'd imagine.

You got me curious so I had to do some searching. It seems that the original name was actually Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign but you are correct that the story line was centered on the Dark Avengers.
  • drcheese
    Phumade said:

Hood used to be an absolute nightmare to face, back when the game required you to match tiles and cast powers to win.  Now, we all just immediately murder everything with crazy passives, so he's not an issue.  I wonder if OP is at a different roster tier where the passives are weaker?

i have every character except for 2 5-stars, most of my 4s are champed and i have 4 5-star champs so it's not so bad but it's just annoying seeing him pop up again and again, being so prominent since i play every event. gets dull you know what i mean
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    drcheese said:
    Phumade said:

i have every character except for 2 5-stars, most of my 4s are champed and i have 4 5-star champs so it's not so bad but it's just annoying seeing him pop up again and again, being so prominent since i play every event. gets dull you know what i mean
    Ah I see.  Aren't you way more sick of Daken and Bullseye?  If you've played this game for any length of time you've fought Daken, Bullseye, and the Daken/Bullseye combo at least 100,000 times.  That goes back to the Dark Reign theme they had originally too.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Phumade said:

I feel like with the amount of times you mention the change to Danvers, it could make for a great (albeit dangerous) drinking game. I’m impressed with the amount of threads you manage to work it into. 😂 
    #NeverForget lol
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Rhipf said:

You got me curious so I had to do some searching. It seems that the original name was actually Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign but you are correct that the story line was centered on the Dark Avengers.
    My bad, it's been some years lol
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    I have a really hard time imagining in what way new events would take more than a couple hours to bang out EACH, especially when you can crib a lot of existing resources and would maybe do a bit to break up our general monotony... biggest stumbling block is probably that the couple new minion types they came out with are really slow and annoying (sentinels, AIM) so I can't imagine any events heavily featuring them would be well-received, we already complain when sentries or mindless ones have their days.
    They have to get everything approved by Marvel on the story events, every word and every matchup. I assume that’s why Simulator is updated and nothing else is. Personally, I wish they’d make a couple more events like Simulator with no story so we could get more new matchups, but people complain so much about Sim’s difficulty…
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I wouldn't mind trying an original flavor Fight For Wakanda again; that was very hard for me at the time, but i think it would be doable and different now

• primetime21
    primetime21 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    I think the Hood is one of the easier villains to face because his health is low to most of the other non-minion villains