Week 37 Apocalypse, Doctor Strange (Sorcerer Supreme), Kitty Pryde, Okoye,

Options

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Glockoma said:
    Yeah he is definitely from a bygone era. Maybe we will see a refresh when Strange 2 comes out, if not a straight up replacement second version?
    It's the same reason Hood has such insanely low health. 

Believe it or not, Hood was one of the best characters for awhile (before the obviously broken Sentry combo) because you had to cast stuff to win, and he could completely lock you out of casting stuff until you killed him. 

They used to balance characters with overpowered passives by giving them really low health, or other downsides.
    Hood would be great with Danver5 and Polaris if the hard turn end on his yellow were removed. Hard to imagine a 3* getting rebalanced at this point, but 1* spider-man got an adjustment so stranger things have happened…
    I think he's only in the game at all because of the Dark Reign tie-in from the first few years.  Does he matter in the current comics universe?

I was going to say maybe someday we'll get a 5* Hood, but I don't think he's a very popular or well-known character.
    Enter Big Wheel :D

I'm not sure if I should be embarrassed about this, but I'm exactly as familiar with The Hood from comics as I was with Big Wheel (ie not even a tiny bit).  I know more about Lady Stilt-Man than either of them!
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Doc Strange zap boosted is actually pretty nice!
    I ran the entire first node with Okoye/ Strange and completely blew through it  without taking damage. Two TU matches and now you’re retaliating with 40K plus damage . 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,167 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Apocalypse + P4nther is a really fun team. My Panther is base level 356 because I just finished up BP Civil War off him. So your mileage may vary on that protect tile match damage.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is he boosted?  That passive damage gets insane because of the way that ability calculates. 

Every time you match a protect tile, you get X * the number of protect tiles on the board (max 8), so if you match 3 protect tiles you get 3 individual hits of X * number of protect tiles. 

I think Apocalypse will add his boost to all 3 hits too.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Yeah he is boosted too. P4nther and Shuri have weird math like that, they wouldn’t seem to be good together but they slap pretty hard. I used to run them as a 4* player with main event between. Apocalypse + Panther both boosted is very good.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was trying out Kitty and BRB in Blade’s PvP because I have no imagination most mornings. They seemed to be juicy and was beat up a lot by various Kitty iterations, mostly Kitty and Polaris. I tried Apocalypse and Kitty and couldn’t figure out why they seemed to be the most popular duo after 900 points. I figured it out after I added yellow/red ap boosts. It is especially crazy fast if the opponent’s Blade drops a couple of strike tiles for Kitty to munch on.

I like the Apocalypse with Black Panther recommendation as well. I only recently champed BP so haven’t had a real opportunity to play him before now. Too bad mine only has 30k hp
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Been enjoying a few defensive wins with W4sp and Blob. It can definitely take down boosted Apoc teams, though I won’t be touching any Kitty teams as I enjoy climbing with my 4*’s for once.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited January 2022
    Options
    This boost week has significantly changed the shape of my PVE leaderboard. I am still doing 4x wins on every node, which is typically a t200 finish, and after this first 2 day sub I had a t500 finish. Curious how that will work out on the remaining 1 day subs
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I see quite a mix of teams:

IHulkoye
    Apocalypse/Kitty
    Okoye/Strange
    Apocalypse/BRB

However, the first two teams probably  represents 70-80% of the teams I saw while climbing. I'm happy to see iHulkoye back.  B)

The previous iHulk boost week sent my pve placement down a notch or two. Now, with Okoye boosted, my placement has been affected as well. I've to wait until their boost week is over.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    In PVP I took Apocalypse + Panther all the way to 1200 in High Stakes with minimal drama. I may do the same in the May Day pvp, we'll see how it goes. 
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah he is definitely from a bygone era. Maybe we will see a refresh when Strange 2 comes out, if not a straight up replacement second version?
    judging by Ultrons release, when strange2 releases and we could get an op strange (think what if...), we probably get a playable, mediocre kaecilius.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,635 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ammenell said:
    judging by Ultrons release, when strange2 releases and we could get an op strange (think what if...), we probably get a playable, mediocre kaecilius.

Or we might get a 5* America Chavez - just imagine if she was as good as the 4* version! :o
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited February 2022
    Options
    So my typicaly T200 pve playstyle ended up being a T300 for the last one (237th to be exact). I got a 1/1/1 May out of the PVP, so it's  not dire, but historically I would get at least a full cover for release events playing the way I always do. I'll be curious if Webbed Wonder chills out some due to it not having a character release, or if it'll end up with more people playing harder as well.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    Boosted meta are wreaking havoc in Scl 10 placement. I'm waiting for new boost week to see if things are back to norm.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    PVP placement seems about the same as ever saving out at 1200pts. Somehow I find that interesting but I’m not sure why.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited February 2022
    Options
    To give you an example, 20 minutes clear nets you a T10 in scl 10 pve placement. With these two weeks of meta boost (iHulk week and Okoye week), 20 minutes net you T50 instead.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ammenell said:
    I'm thinking maybe 4* Wong, 5* Chavez and 5* evil Strange. Or possibly a 4* Switch instead of Wong. Imagine if evil Strange had a huge power like using the mystic arts to pause passive abilities for X amount of turns. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    To give you an example, 20 minutes clear nets you a T10 in scl 10 pve placement. With these two weeks of meta boost (iHulk week and Okoye week), 20 minutes net you T50 instead.
    I’d have thought we’d see people climbing higher in PVP as well as clearing faster in PVE though, but it doesn’t seem like they are.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    It's probably because opponents in pvps are harder than pves, and more healthpacks are used in there. On top of that, once you climb high enough the game will also throw you 672 Apocalypse even if your mmr is baby champed. Also, IHulkoye is pretty commons in pvp, so all these factors likely contribute to a not much difference in competition. 
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I’d have thought we’d see people climbing higher in PVP as well as clearing faster in PVE though, but it doesn’t seem like they are.
    I absolutely did the past 2 weeks , 400 points more , 20 minutes less in PvP