Would PvP be better with no meta?

Options
DAZ0273
DAZ0273 Posts: 9,626 Chairperson of the Boards
PvP is a topic that divides us. It conquers us and sometimes it gives us comfort in the night like a soft teddy bear. But would it be better if the characters were more or less equally balanced?!?!?
You're not the boss of me now, some might say and you're not so big but then others might be Life is Unfair.
So theorise, if you will, a world where we ask What if...No More Meta, is it better?
You may wish to have a general discussion on PvP also or you may not. It is up to you - don't let me tell you what to do, in fact what Slice do I play in? Oh yeah? You will see me there and then we'll see who...sorry, got  a bit distracted there.
To make up for my above transgression I wrote a little song that goes a bit like this, I hope you enjoy:
Making your way in the world today
Takes everything you got
Taking a break from your PvP troubles
Sure would help a lot
Wouldn't you like to shield away?
Sometimes you wanna go
Where no-one knows your in game name
Scarlet Witch and Ultron are the same
You wanna be in a PvP
Where Colossus is mildly tame
You wanna be where no-one knows your in game name

Would PvP be better with no meta? 23 votes

Yes
13%
turbomoosebowla33Ptahhotep 3 votes
No
30%
KolenceBlackBoltRocksbigwhoopBobdvolbranthurAkoniksabado23 7 votes
Maybe
13%
Srheer0VenomousDavidk777 3 votes
I don't know
4%
Godzillafan67 1 vote
Can you repeat the question?
26%
abmorazUNC_SamuraiWalter2017skittledaddyScammyBad 6 votes
Other
13%
GrimSkaldwymtimerevskip 3 votes

Comments

• Scammy
    Scammy Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Rock-Paper-Scissors has a meta. Even if the characters were perfectly balanced, there would still be a meta. You could make the characters completely identical with only the color of AP they needed for their abilities differing between them, and there would still be a meta.

The only way to remove the meta from MPQ PVP is to remove either the PVP or the MPQ.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't know
    I gave you a like for the Malcom in the Middle theme song reference (long live TMGB!), and then another like for the parody of the Cheers' theme song, and then finally one more like for using more of the MitM theme song as the answers.

I find that...
    You play the good
    Won’t play the bad
    Just the meta plays and there you have PvP
    Yep PvP

When it’s never Wasp or Banner
    But always Spin Cycle
    (Though maybe godly boosted)
    That’s PvP

Folks find new synergies
    And new toons counter strategies
    So now you’ve got to chase and champ
    An obscure nobody for PvP
    The new meta PvP

P.S. I voted for the third baseman.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    I gave you a like for the Malcom in the Middle theme song reference (long live TMGB!), and then another like for the parody of the Cheers' theme song, and then finally one more like for using more of the MitM theme song as the answers.

I find that...
    You play the good
    Won’t play the bad
    Just the meta plays and there you have PvP
    Yep PvP

When it’s never Wasp or Banner
    But always Spin Cycle
    (Though maybe godly boosted)
    That’s PvP

Folks find new synergies
    And new toons counter strategies
    So now you’ve got to chase and champ
    An obscure nobody for PvP
    The new meta PvP

P.S. I voted for the third baseman.

You might have figured me out...
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hang on, how would they get to a place where there's no metagame?  Is it...nerfs? 

Everyone, this is a NERF THREAD!  Get him!
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Hang on, how would they get to a place where there's no metagame?  Is it...nerfs? 

Everyone, this is a NERF THREAD!  Get him!
    No, this is a What if...? thread, silly! If it had been a Nerfing thread then it would go something like this:

Nerfing me, nerfing you
    A-ha!
    There is nothing we can do
    Nerfing Switch, nerfing Thor
    Ha ha!
    C'mon let's NERF Okoye too!
    Nerfing stuff is never easy I know
    But Shang Chi has to go
    Nerfing me nerfing you
    It's the best Devs can do
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Any thread that alludes to the potential idea of maybe changing the power level of any character is a NERF THREAD and the only way to deal with a NERF THREAD is to call it what it is and totally ignore any fun songs it may contain.

Also why do you hate every player?  You must be terrible at matching 3!
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    But but I stated in the opening! I asked us to theorise!!! I guess there could be room in my heart to move on to nerfing but it will be like a redheaded step-child.

And come on Mr. Bucket, don't be a grumpy guts! There is only love here, although I do indeed suck at match 3. Here. This one is just for you

In slice two, not three
    In slice two, not three
    It will be better
    With 550 meta
    Take it from me!

Building up points you work all day
    Then the Enforcers take it away!

Whilst they be gloatin'
    Ain't no chance of floatin'
    In slice two, not three!
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    I can see right through your evil deceptions.  This is just yet another nerf song written by a nerf player in a nerf thread!
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The premise of your question assumes that you can have a game without a meta. Sorry, but that’s not possible. All games have an ideal way to play. That ideal way may change over time, but it will always exist.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No
    Voted no. 
    Having no meta would mean every possible character or team are equally good (fast? scary? long-winded?...), and the actual play would end up the same and boring. 

• Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Maybe
    D3 could code a PVP so you have certain restrictions. I'm already sick of seeing boostedBRBs this pvp week lol.

I'm curious to see the state of the game in 12 months time.

I answered option 3 to the poll. Having everyone the same will make the game boring. I like it because you can play a variety of styles if you are just playing for fun. If playing for rewards or speed, then you restrict yourself to certain characters and certain combinations.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    This is actually pretty funny because it reflects the dual meanings of the word "meta" here, where one is colloquially accepted but wrong. 

I think the actual question the poll is asking is "should MPQ have 'meta' characters?" and not "should MPQ have a metagame?" Some players answered question #1 and some answered question #2. 

Question #2 is, of course, a ridiculous question -- a competitive game always has a metagame.
  • bbigler
    Options
    I would say meta characters are unavoidable. They could try to make a variety of characters with a variety of powers that are equally powerful and have a rock - paper - scissors type of game.  It seems like they are going for that but still purposely making some characters better than others to promote sales and engagement.

btw, how does paper beat rock anyway? Is it a Contractor order to demolish all rocks? 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,938 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2022
    Options
    bbigler said:

btw, how does paper beat rock anyway? Is it a Contractor order to demolish all rocks? 

That's why I prefer to call it:  Iron Golem-Rust Monster-Mind Flayer
    Then it's clear who beats who and why assuming your some what familiar with AD&D :)
    KGB
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KGB said:
    bbigler said:

Then it's clear who beats who and why assuming your some what familiar with AD&D :)
    KGB
    Clearly Iron Golem beats Rust Monster beats Mind Flayer beats Iron Golem. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I voted that because I got a bit distracted too, by the question, and by everything, as a whole.
    But the answer is that it's not possible in a gacha game. 
    Even if all characters were equipped with passives wich could effectively kill the whole team on 3 turns, that won't change that there are unwanted characters whiches nobody chased. So if all characters were effectively on equality, players would use their most leveled ones, and that happens to be the current meta characters they chased.
  • bbigler
    Options
    KGB said:
    bbigler said:

KGB
    Clearly Iron Golem beats Rust Monster beats Mind Flayer beats Iron Golem. 
    Let’s rename it Godzilla beats Kong beats Mechagodzilla beats Godzilla 
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 950 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Scammy said:
    Rock-Paper-Scissors has a meta.
    httpsfrinkiaccommemeS04E19339672jpgb64linesR09PRCBPTEQgUk9DSy4KTk9USElORyBCRUFUUyBUSEFULg
    Bart uses the Rock meta.
  • Scammy
    Scammy Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Bart uses the Rock meta.
    See, that actually is the dominant meta. People tend to most often choose Rock or Scissors as their first play, in roughly equal measure. Since the underdog, Paper, beats Rock but loses to Scissors, there's no advantage for picking it. But since Rock ties against itself and beats the other most-common play, Scissors, it has the highest win%.

When playing against a rando on the street, Rock is the best play. When playing against your smarter sister, pick using a random number generator.