Farming 4*

Options
qandols
qandols Posts: 1,161 Chairperson of the Boards
I have now 10+ level 370 four stars. Is it normal to also farm these? I hate throwing away covers, but roster spots are not free. How do you do with extra 4 star covers?

Comments

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Open extra roster slots for those 4*s. A max champed 4 is great to have on your roster.
    I sell 3*s quickly but I would not sell the 4s just open an extra roster slot for the second 4* and have two of the same in your roster.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In 5* play, a required max-champ 4* can really come in handy, but a max-champ 3 or 2* is just as dead weight as a loaner I've found. I just have a single max champ right now, and my dupe is only just now fully covered, but I'm getting close on a few others. I think I'll roster 4* dupes as long as I can stand it, but I don't roster dupes of anything below that. Just grow and flip.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    As someone in a similar situation roster wise, 14 lvl 370 4*s, thanks to SCL10 and champ rewards, HP is not an issue so not sure why you'd question the cost of rostering the dupe.  

Getting a max 4* is a long slog with some benefits even in 5* play so selling is for sure not worth it.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,919 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's "normal" to farm 4* because very few people are in a position to be doing that.  I do think it's worthwhile, but it's pretty expensive to do.

I keep all 370 4* dupes for anyone who's not a feeder.  The hope is that someday they'll give us retroactive feeders again.  For feeders, I keep one 370 and sell the dupe when it hits 370.

I think for everyone who gets 370s, keeping one 370 and starting a dupe makes sense, if you can afford it.  4* champion rewards are really good, and lvl370 4* are also pretty good. 

I don't know if I'd recommend keeping multiple duplicates of non-feeders, because I'm not sure we'll ever get retroactive shards again.  I'm not sure that's relevant to...anyone though.

If you want to look (caution, my 4* roster is EXTREMELY DUMB) I'm in the alliance Clochards.  It got this way from playing at a high level for a very long time and only opening classics.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If you want to look (caution, my 4* roster is EXTREMELY DUMB) I'm in the alliance Clochards.  It got this way from playing at a high level for a very long time and only opening classics.
    You have many maxed dupes on the same 4* why don't you sell them? 
    Perhaps foŕ to get them on your own random TU?
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Because I hope that someday they'll become feeders.

That hope is probably silly at this point, but if they ever do it, they retroactively reward all the shards for them.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There is another effect on having maxed 4*s dupes, in defense increases odds on AI having them, and that really can be a good hit.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I don’t farm nor roster anything irrelevant to winning battles . I play solely to win battles if I wanted to farm I’d play FarmVille.  Obviously I have tons of unused resources left over as well .  Extrapolation of my current 4*s shows it would take me 6 years at least to max champ a 4.  The time isn’t worth the effort nor rewards .
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    I don’t farm nor roster anything irrelevant to winning battles . I play solely to win battles if I wanted to farm I’d play FarmVille.  Obviously I have tons of unused resources left over as well .  Extrapolation of my current 4*s shows it would take me 6 years at least to max champ a 4.  The time isn’t worth the effort nor rewards .
    The last time they did retroactive feeders, my absurd pile of duplicate 4* kicked out something like 80 5* covers, many of which are now highly relevant to winning battles. 

If they make Elektra a feeder today, I think I'd get about 50 5* covers from her alone (I don't know why I pull so many Elektras).
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    Options
    The last time they did retroactive feeders, my absurd pile of duplicate 4* kicked out something like 80 5* covers, many of which are now highly relevant to winning battles. 

If they make Elektra a feeder today, I think I'd get about 50 5* covers from her alone (I don't know why I pull so many Elektras).
    Since I also win my battles without doing all that , I don’t see the relevancy    of all the extra work or covers.  Also after anniversary week playing with all metas boosted the game had neither challenge nor entertainment value . Playing at high battle speed is not my objective. My wins give the same results and rewards regardless .
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    good characters that are usable with 5* get a farmed dupe. all the rest just get re-started.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I farm for the mountain of resources that it gives me. After Gamora goes into tokens and I open my hoard my top 4s like Polaris and Carol will probably max out and I'll begin to roster their dupes. 
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanks for all your thoughts, I will continue my farming!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options

Since I also win my battles without doing all that , I don’t see the relevancy    of all the extra work or covers.  Also after anniversary week playing with all metas boosted the game had neither challenge nor entertainment value . Playing at high battle speed is not my objective. My wins give the same results and rewards regardless .
    We’ve had a few people on the forum extol the virtues of a small meta roster, but I can assure you that having a complete roster pays for itself in champion rewards and gives you access to all the nodes that are required for playing PVE, and there is no comparison between having a champ reward factory spitting out resources vs not having one actually. So you may be getting “the same rewards” from events (which seems unlikely if you are missing out on required character nodes?), but you are super losing out on  the character payouts in a big way if you don’t have them rostered.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    Options

We’ve had a few people on the forum extol the virtues of a small meta roster, but I can assure you that having a complete roster pays for itself in champion rewards and gives you access to all the nodes that are required for playing PVE, and there is no comparison between having a champ reward factory spitting out resources vs not having one actually. So you may be getting “the same rewards” from events (which seems unlikely if you are missing out on required character nodes?), but you are super losing out on  the character payouts in a big way if you don’t have them rostered.
    I have every character in shard reserve  for the 3 or 4 days every 1 to 2 years they are required . I haven’t missed a node or reward  in years . The so called reward factory is extremely overrated by collectionist farm boys . You can win and place top 100 with little effort , I’m satisfied with that level of play .
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    That sounds *way* more intense than just rostering all the guys and occasionally selling them when they max out -- there is absolutely no chance I could keep track of a shard reserve for every character.  I'd miss 75% of the essentials by screwing it up.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Yeah I don’t understand the mindset either. Each their own I guess.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    There are individualized play styles, as @entrailbucket has pointed out across a few threads. There are also individualized rostering styles. Personally, I take the Pokémon approach and intend to roster everything. Additionally, I champ and flip 2*, and have just planted my 4th 3*, where I’m keeping the max version because it’s good for my pvp play. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It just seems pointless to me, especially now considering that the game literally rewards you for farming by giving you milestone rewards for it. But, whatever. I've been farming since I was a 2* player and I'll never stop.  B)