Need advice: Shang-Chi or BRB?

Options

Comments

• Jimsta_rooney
    Jimsta_rooney Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Shang chi no doubt. 
    Especially if you play pve but he's good for pvp too (not for floating though) 
    I have both champed and I probably use shang chi more than any 5* atm.
    And chavez/sc is much quicker and more powerful than brb/polaris. 
    Could brb /polaris unboosted take out a team of boosted champed 5s in pvp in a minute?
    Chavez/sc can... 
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Patiently waiting for Gamora to enter LL
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This game right now has no other character who just being baby champed can take down all challenge nodes by himself, plus there is no one else who can face a carnage level 650 without stunners and end the battle with a perfect on health. 
    Perhaps I will record two hammers of knull someday if I'm in the mood.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Patiently waiting for Gamora to enter LL
    Her legendary store is still up for a few more hours so you'll have to wait a bit. Keep hoarding. :)
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,903 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bad said:
    This game right now has no other character who just being baby champed can take down all challenge nodes by himself, plus there is no one else who can face a carnage level 650 without stunners and end the battle with a perfect on health. 
    Perhaps I will record two hammers of knull someday if I'm in the mood.
    Okoye can beat Carnage lvl650 without stunners and finish with 100% health!

But you make an excellent point.  If a character compares with Okoye, for any reason, they're very powerful.
  • Bad
    Options

But you make an excellent point.  If a character compares with Okoye, for any reason, they're very powerful.
    What level on okoye? Because SC it's just champed. And you have 2 free slots in your team for any small whim you can have.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Bad said:

What level on okoye? Because SC it's just champed. And you have 2 free slots in your team for any small whim you can have.
    Eh, I mean, she heals from 1% to 100% for 7 yellow.  If you win a fight and she's not at full life, you've done something wrong.

But that's not the point!  I was agreeing with you. 

The point was that if you can put someone in the same sentence as Okoye, that's saying they're very, very strong.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Being good defensively is a detriment in PvP if you are going for 75 wins. The easier teams that die quickly are all below 7-800 pts. My 3/0/3 Shang-Chi is much faster than  my 3/2/3 BRB once he gets rolling. At 10 combo points every he makes hits like a truck or nuclear freight train if he gets a critical tile. The problem I find is he doesn't always get rolling, which is only a problem with BRB and Polaris against certain anti-SAP teams. 
    I think the "getting rolling" thing gets much better with practice.  Shang-Chi plays so differently from every other character in the game that we're just not used to looking at the board this way.

The more I use him, the better I get at seeing patterns on the board that he can use. 

It was exactly the same way with 3* Magneto back in 2014 -- it was difficult to go infinite at first, but I used him so much that eventually, I could win almost every fight before the enemy even got a turn.
    How did you spec SC and Aloki?
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Being good defensively is a detriment in PvP if you are going for 75 wins. The easier teams that die quickly are all below 7-800 pts. My 3/0/3 Shang-Chi is much faster than  my 3/2/3 BRB once he gets rolling. At 10 combo points every he makes hits like a truck or nuclear freight train if he gets a critical tile. The problem I find is he doesn't always get rolling, which is only a problem with BRB and Polaris against certain anti-SAP teams. 
    I think the "getting rolling" thing gets much better with practice.  Shang-Chi plays so differently from every other character in the game that we're just not used to looking at the board this way.

The more I use him, the better I get at seeing patterns on the board that he can use. 

It was exactly the same way with 3* Magneto back in 2014 -- it was difficult to go infinite at first, but I used him so much that eventually, I could win almost every fight before the enemy even got a turn.
    My Shang-Chi is not championed yet, he was like 3/1/4 or something there.  Loki is 5/5/3 because I'm using Cyclops yellow instead of his.
  • trewiltrewil
    trewiltrewil Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options
    I have been thinking about this too, as I am only a few thousand iso from having SC champed. I am thinking he is the rare 4/4/5 as the true heal seems important for PVE challenge nodes.... but what are other peoples thoughts?
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    I'm not sure there's going to be much consensus on a "best" build.

A few things to consider: moving red from 3 to 5 increases the number of tiles he destroys, which increases the number of tiles you have to choose. 

This may not be a positive thing for you!  I've had no problem going infinite with him only destroying 3 tiles.  Having to choose more tiles may slow you down without making him more effective.

On the other hand, it may be a very positive thing for you.  I think people will have to test it out to see what number they like best.

Also a lot of people initially said 5/3/5 because they underrated his purple power.  Charged tiles are incredibly powerful with Shang-Chi, especially combined with criticals.  Charging more tiles is a very good thing.
  • Bad
    Options
    I agree. I run 4/5/4. There's no way I could change it, possibly. 
    Charged tiles multiply damage plus add AP for him or for allies.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Oh, as far as the amount of healing on his red: I've found that it doesn't really matter. 

In fights where I've gotten the combo going (which is every fight I don't accidentally wipe) he heals to full by the end no matter what.
  • Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 264 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think the build is pretty irrelevant to be fair  as all that matters is getting the combo going. Once you have enough AP going you can fire red multiple times to bring your health back, and purple multiple times to deal huge damage and restock AP. My biggest issue regarding not healing during a fight is because of defeating everyone with a crit tile/cascade and not getting a chance to fire off another red.

I'm currently at 2/5/5 and able to finish most fights with full health, the extra tile destruction at higher levels though would come in handy
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Oh, as far as the amount of healing on his red: I've found that it doesn't really matter. 

In fights where I've gotten the combo going (which is every fight I don't accidentally wipe) he heals to full by the end no matter what.
    For this reason, I would run him at 4/5/4 or 4/4/5 once champed.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I run Shang-Chi at 5/5/3 for maximum flexibility.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2021
    Options
    how much does his match damage increase per point with 3 in blue instead of 5?
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Per the character launch thread:

Level 3: Increases match damage by 89. (Max level 358 damage)
    Level 4: Increases match damage by 104. (Max level 417 damage)
    Level 5: Increases match damage by 133. (Max level 536 damage)

So it goes from 358 to 536 at lvl450. 

In practice...it kinda doesn't matter.  I haven't really noticed a difference between different blue specs because once you run the combo up high enough, his match damage is insanity whether it's at 3, 4, or 5.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Purple at 
    3 cover give you a max of 3 charged tiles
    4 cover 5 charged tiles
    5 cover 8 charged tiles

Scenario 1
    The difference between 3 and 5 blue cover is 1780 damage at 10 combo points, or 5340 damage per match-3 at 10 combo points.

Scenario 1a:
    Using red critical match-3 with 10 combo points as an example, 

At 3 cover, he deals (3580+992)x 3 x 4.5= 61,722 damage

At 5 cover,  he deals (5360+992)x 3 x 4.5= 85, 752 damage.

So, the difference is 24, 030 damage.

Scenario 2
    Since 5 purple gives you guaranteed charged critical match-3 compared to 3/8  probability with 3 purple cover, 

Your charged red critical red match-3 will deal ((3580+992) x 3 + (3580+992) + (3580+992) x 3) x 4.5 = 144, 018 damage, which is about 68% more damage than a normal crit match-3.

Actually, it's quite difficult to give a definite build for him because he's just that flexible. If you find yourself using purple frequently, then you want to max his purple. If you find yourself making normal matches more frequently, than 5 in his blue would be better. Of course, if you are not playing SCL 10, 5 purple looks like an overkill unless you are dealing with Wanda/Colossus or anyone with match damage reduction. Another way to guide you is to look at the healthpoint of your opponents. Are their hp around 80k or 144k? 80k = 5 blue, more than 100k = 5 purple. Another factor depends on your average combo points that you can maintain per match. If you can maintain about 5, then 5 purple will be good.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    SC is the one character that makes me finally leave 4* land.