**** Blob (Modern) ****

Neko
Neko Posts: 91 Site Admin
edited December 2021 in Character Details

Blob (Modern)
4-Star Rarity 
Affiliations: Villains, Mutants

"Short of temper. Slow of wit. Large of frame. Fred Dukes has lived a life as the subject of scorn and distrust. Fortunately, his Mutant ability ensures that nobody can push the Blob around. Nobody!
Privately, he is an avid collector of poetry."

(Abilities listed at level 70, followed by 270)
5928 Health / 21954 Health
 33 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 42 | 37 | 23 | 3.0x
 65 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 85 | 74 | 43 | 3.0x

Bring Down the House - 8  AP
The Blob throws his weight around, causing his surroundings to come crashing down. Destroys 4 random basic and Team-up tiles in the bottom half of the board. (Destroyed tiles deal damage but do not gain AP.) 
  • Level 2: Destroys 5 tiles.
  • Level 3: Destroys 6 tiles.
  • Level 4: Destroys 8 tiles.
  • Level 5: Destroys 12 tiles.
Weapon Trapping -  PASSIVE
(PASSIVE) At the start of his turn, Blob's malleable body grabs hold of all Strike, Attack, and Protect tiles in the bottom two rows, converting them into friendly 2-turn Countdown tiles that, when expired, have an effect based on what kind of tile was converted.
Strike: Increase Blob's match damage by 30%.
Attack: Deals 139 damage. (Max level 271 damage)
Protect: Restore 139 of Blob's health. (Max level 271 health)
  • Level 2: Increases match damage by 45%. Deals 204 damage. Restores 204 health. (Max level 397 damage, 397 health)
  • Level 3: Increases match damage by 60%. Deals 269 damage. Restores 269 health. (Max level 524 damage, 524 health)
  • Level 4: Increases match damage by 85%. Deals 408 damage. Restores 408 health. (Max level 795 damage, 795 health)
  • Level 5: Creates 1-turn Countdown tiles. Increases match damage by 120%. Deals 575 damage. Restores 575 health. (Max level 1120 damage, 1120 health)
Unmovable -  PASSIVE
(PASSIVE) Nobody moves the Blob. If the enemy team has already made their first match of the turn and would deal damage with another match, Blob moves to the front and creates a strength 19 Yellow Protect tile (limit of one tile per turn). (Max level strength 36)

(PASSIVE) All match damage dealt to Blob is reduced by 20%.
  • Level 2: Creates a strength 26 Protect tile. Reduces match damage by 30%. (Max level strength 49)
  • Level 3: Creates a strength 32 Protect tile. Reduces match damage by 40%. (Max level strength 61)
  • Level 4: Creates a strength 46 Protect tile. Reduces match damage by 60%. (Max level strength 86)
  • Level 5: Creates a strength 78 Protect tile. Reduces match damage by 90%. (Max level strength 148)

RELEASE SCHEDULE

Release Events:

Story

Introducing... Blob – Oct 7-16

• Rewards Iso-8 and a Heroic Token

• Blob (Modern) Shards in Progression rewards

Operation Spider Silk – Oct 7-12

• Rewards tokens to the Operation Spider Silk Cover Pack

• Blob (Modern) in Placement rewards

Hearts of Darkness – Oct 11-15

• Blob (Modern) in Progression rewards

Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D. – Oct 10-15

• Blob (Modern) shards in Progression rewards

• Rewards tokens to the Blob & Foes vault

Versus

RRRRAAAWWWR! – Oct 7-11

• Blob (Modern) in Placement rewards

Mass Appeal – Oct 10-13

• Blob (Modern) in Progression rewards

• Rewards tokens to the Blob & Foes vault

OFFERS

Blob & Foes - Oct 10-16

80 Item Vault
  • 3x 4-Stars

• 1x Blob cover

• 1x Drax (The Destroyer) cover

• 1x Random 4-Star cover

• 7x Tokens

• 1x Legendary token

• 1x Mighty Token

• 2x Heroic Tokens

• 3x Beginner Support tokens

• 6x Iso-8

• 1x 5,000 Iso-8

• 2x 2,500 Iso-8

• 3x 1,000 Iso-8

• 15x 3-Stars

• 3x Psylocke (Classic) cover

• 12x Random 3-Star covers

• 49x 2-Stars

• 10x Moonstone (Dark Avengers) cover

• 39x Random 2-Star covers

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2021
    These abilities are interesting and look really awesome. 3/5/5 for me now. He looks like an upgraded version of Morbius, injected with one of 4* Beast's, 5* Odin's and 5* Rescue's passive powers.

His green power is straightforward:  synergises with his passive black power.

I love his black passive. Such an awesome ability!  If those cds are 1-turn at 5, Drax would be great with him in pick-2. 

I'm not sure how to interpret his third power. It seems like it's anti-Carbage, anti-double match, anti-cascade.

The dev is bringing defensive meta to 4* land.  :D

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    It seems at the 4* tier to be anti rocket to me
  • HoundofShadow
    He converts all attacks, protects and strike tiles at the bottom 2 rows. And Polaris' common teammates happen to be BRB, Carbage and R4G in 4* land. He's a 3-in-1 against them. He even counters Carbage's free attack tiles to the players.

She-Hulk is probably the best partner to help him destroy the bottom tiles because she destroys 16 random tiles from the bottom. Targeted single row power like 4* Cyclops or Gwenpool is pretty good too.

He will be pretty awesome against Kitty/BRB/Polaris in shield sim as well.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow, that black.
    22k health at 270. Probably the best new tank in 4* in a long time.
  • AnkhWarrior
    AnkhWarrior Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    I'm seeing alot of similarities to the Hulk characters in this kit, with the Green as the strongest color, large HP pool, and tile destruction. With Halloween later this month, my theory is that it's going to be a character from Immortal Hulk, a 4-star who can feed into 5-star iHulk. So far, I think that it might be Abomination, whose horrifying design would definitely be befitting for Halloween. My primary issue with that is I'm not sure what that second affiliation would be. Rick Jones was Cap's sidekick, so Team Cap? I don't know...
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doesn't one of the newer 4* swap all enemy special tiles into the bottom row?
  • HoundofShadow
    Hellcat. Good call!
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hellcat. Good call!
    I wonder if it's a character who's a partner with her in the comics?  That synergy almost seems deliberate.
  • Venomous
    Venomous Posts: 222 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2021
    Hellcat. Good call!
    I wonder if it's a character who's a partner with her in the comics?  That synergy almost seems deliberate.
    Daimon Hellstrom. Her boyfriend or something along those lines right? They are/were in a serious relationship. Not sure if he is a villain though. 

Oh. Editing. Did not know this. Husband. He was her ex husband. 
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    We might even see someone try Hellcat or shufflers like Quake or Medusa . Shutting down cascades will make her meta against certain teams . A villain associated with a team limits our choices to who it is though . I’ve got nothing . ( I would like Enforcers, Wrecking Crew, Serpent Society , Zodiac, or Hellfire as future possibilities).
  • Venomous
    Well my guesses. They didn't do the poll for the next character because either..... They knew who the most popular character already was or they skipped the anniversary character in favor of a Halloween character instead. 

Brief list of who I feel it could be. 

Electro Max Dillion was my first guess. Destroying the bottom of the board is what Francine basically did. He would be Sinister Six. 

Shocker. Befitting of the quote because of shock absorbent armor. Like Electro, he'd be Sinister Six. 

Rhino. Huge health pool, match damage negation, and jumping in the way. Kit fits him well. Sinister Six once again.

Blob. Matches the quote and would be a Mutant for second synergy,  

Finally. If they didn't need to do a poll, then this could be Omega Red. The community seemed to have wanted him for a while now and it would make sense if that second synergy is Mutant. 

• HoundofShadow
    I didn't notice the high health and his yellow reduces only match damage. Add in 4* Juggernaut. 

Looking through all the affiliations, only Team Ironman, Sinister Six, Dark Avengers, Mutants or X-Men tag is capable of having a villian.

• Venomous
    edited October 2021
    I didn't notice the high health and his yellow reduces only match damage. Add in 4* Juggernaut. 

Looking through all the affiliations, only Team Ironman, Sinister Six, Dark Avengers, Mutants or X-Men tag is capable of having a villian.

Problem with X-Men is a majority of those with X-Men would also have Mutant. So it has to be Mutant only. Which usually means a Brotherhood character. As for Team IronMan. I didn't know a villain could have those. 

And honestly, a Young Avenger is honestly possible. They have art for Kid Loki from Gator Loki.~~Nevermind.

Nope. Tanking with a ton of health. So not him. 
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think venomous nailed it.

Either Blob or Rhino
  • HoundofShadow
    edited October 2021
    Red Hulk has Villian and Team Ironman tag. I was surprised by this too.

Regardless of who the character is, I think his abilities are awesome!
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2021
    I see it clear.
    That black passive is what we were asking for: he is a counter to ultron!!!
    And now more seriously, his effectivity on that passive will depend on being a cd of 1 turn at level 5.
    His only active power destroys tiles on the bottom, so sooner or later he will wreck all the enemy tiles.
    He is a powerful anti enemy special tiles, yet he needs them for being stronger.
    Another time a good partner would be carnage4 or 5.
    Mantis, morbius, sabretooth and him would need another partner who creates enemy special tiles easily and often.
    Right now carnage 4 creates enemy tiles but if they are matched without destroying the own, carnage doesn't adds enemy tiles anymore.
    Cargage5 creates 2 enemy tiles per turn, but matching them on purpose destroys his free turn.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    I'm looking forward to testing this one out. That black power looks interesting and may be slightly hindering to Polaris. Since that yellow power is a cheap way to create a shield tile, he may also be a good teammate for 4* Marvel. I wonder how this character would pair with C4ptain Marvel and Polaris since his powers are kind of a bridge between the two.

When I saw the clue I immediately thought Crusher Creel, but after reading the powers the Blob and Rhino come to mind. The black and yellow passives very thematically match up with Blob, so that's my final answer. I'm locking it in.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2021
    Ok. Seems the consensus is on Blob. As for his powers, the Black seems to be a Grocket counter without synergy with Polaris. Important for any anti-Polaris characters they need to release. That yellow will not help with Polaris cascades, though thankfully he isn’t gifting strikes. At the end of the cascade all the protects he stole from BRB and Polaris will be given straight back. It will be interesting to see how often this would be a problem (maybe never) and if the true heal and high health will be a deterrent. I can see him, C4rol, and Mantis getting along well perhaps. Perhaps without automatically inviting retaliation from Karnak and Chavez.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    If it's Blob, I'm stoked.  I've been asking for him for a long time.

If not, I'm thinking abomination.  I mean, absorbant, right?  Doesn't the abomination "absorb" gamma radiation?  Blob didn't really absorb, as much as just ignore everything physical thrown at him. 

Not trying to go against what I've been asking for, though!  ;)
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Sebastian Shaw? 
    His powers are absorbing energy. I keep seizing on the description for black “grab hold”- and then the conversion part-seems more fitting then Rhino or Blob who crash and smash.
    I think Omega Red would be fitting also especially with his tentacles.