Has there been a lack of comic characters released recently?

Options
13»

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In over 3 years the closest thing to original character stability has been Loki , who went from villain to anti-hero at best . Black Widow died and she still got a movie . The movies and characters that put the MCU on the map, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Thor ….we won’t ever be seeing them again. Those are the story lines that made Endgame the most successful movie of all time . In the past we were usually first in line to see the newest Marvel cinema release. I don’t think we’ve gone since Endgame and if we check a Marvel release out now it’s several weeks after release if we are really bored . 
    Do you remember something about a global pandemic?
    Things had dramatically changed and people don't go to threathers like before, because they are still afraid, or because they don't like to wear a mask on 2 hours.
    Disney has created his own channel being more confortable, still it is not the same.
    And if the money becomes hard to get then MCU movies suffer.
    Those factors are external to Disney, and of course stan lee, who always was helping in the projects, filming endgame too.
    And FYI, shang-chi had a huge success past weekend. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Venomous said:
    Honestly, I kinda want to see the developers scrap the barrel for lesser characters more. Look to Contest of Champions for example. While everyone may not like the game, it decided to add Mojo and Longshot. Both characters who are insanely entertaining, mostly Mojo. 
    I used to keep notes on character lists, comparing MPQ and Contest of Champions and one or two other Marvel games, looking at characters exclusive to each game.

And really, each game has its own list of exclusives. We have Silk, Lizard, Knull, Scorpion, Misty Knight, Black Cat, Adam Warlock, Wiccan, Dazzler, Kraven, Valkyrie, Prowler, Gator Loki, Monica Rambeau, Lockjaw, the original Human Torch, etc. We have our own neat variants (God Emperor Doom, the MCU Iron Spider suit, etc).

But Contest of Champions has plenty we could use, too. Mojo, Longshot, Abomination, Crossbones, Red Skull, Omega Red, Mangog, Mister Negative, Stryfe, Doctor Voodoo, Dormammu, Mephisto, Annihilus, a handful of heralds of Galactus, and their own neat variants, too (a Symbiote Spidey, Joe Fixit, a boss Maestro, etc).

It's a slight downside of a reasonable release schedule and the sheer size of the Marvel universe. It's hard to cover everybody. And if you could snap your fingers and give both games the ones the don't have from above, you'd still be missing a wide variety of people, like, say, Hank Pym, Sif, the Warriors Three, Goliath, Absorbing Man, Titania, Quasar, White Tiger, Wonder Man, Korvac, Arcade, Blue Marvel, Nightmare, Scarlet Spider, either Zemo or most any of the other Masters of Evil, etc. You get the point.

It all circles back to the "no matter what someone will be upset" idea, because they'll be able to add characters for a decade and still have some from each category left untouched, that somebody somewhere wants added to the game.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Don’t they give us a survey every year on the anniversary “ What character would you like to see added in the upcoming year?”  If not , perhaps they should start . I’d be willing to go along with the popular vote . The top 5 should be introduced annually because of demand not because it will produce interest in an upcoming media release 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They do character surveys periodically. The anniversary one usually determines who is in the Fan Favorites store from the pool of existing characters.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,903 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I always vote for Batman!  It's still insane that he's not in the game at all.
  • Venomous
    Venomous Posts: 224 Tile Toppler
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    Venomous said:
    Honestly, I kinda want to see the developers scrap the barrel for lesser characters more. Look to Contest of Champions for example. While everyone may not like the game, it decided to add Mojo and Longshot. Both characters who are insanely entertaining, mostly Mojo. 
    I used to keep notes on character lists, comparing MPQ and Contest of Champions and one or two other Marvel games, looking at characters exclusive to each game.

And really, each game has its own list of exclusives. We have Silk, Lizard, Knull, Scorpion, Misty Knight, Black Cat, Adam Warlock, Wiccan, Dazzler, Kraven, Valkyrie, Prowler, Gator Loki, Monica Rambeau, Lockjaw, the original Human Torch, etc. We have our own neat variants (God Emperor Doom, the MCU Iron Spider suit, etc).

But Contest of Champions has plenty we could use, too. Mojo, Longshot, Abomination, Crossbones, Red Skull, Omega Red, Mangog, Mister Negative, Stryfe, Doctor Voodoo, Dormammu, Mephisto, Annihilus, a handful of heralds of Galactus, and their own neat variants, too (a Symbiote Spidey, Joe Fixit, a boss Maestro, etc).

It's a slight downside of a reasonable release schedule and the sheer size of the Marvel universe. It's hard to cover everybody. And if you could snap your fingers and give both games the ones the don't have from above, you'd still be missing a wide variety of people, like, say, Hank Pym, Sif, the Warriors Three, Goliath, Absorbing Man, Titania, Quasar, White Tiger, Wonder Man, Korvac, Arcade, Blue Marvel, Nightmare, Scarlet Spider, either Zemo or most any of the other Masters of Evil, etc. You get the point.

It all circles back to the "no matter what someone will be upset" idea, because they'll be able to add characters for a decade and still have some from each category left untouched, that somebody somewhere wants added to the game.
    Exactly. The most telling thing among what you said is just how long the "in neither game" is. I tend to do the same and honestly feel CoC is one of the best games to compare PQ to because of it's release schedule. Unlike per say Future Fight, they always add around 2 characters each month. And It's going to be no surprise that so many characters won't be added. Because there are so many characters. And as stated above. That's the point of polls. To figure out among all the characters, who are the most requested. Not everyone will agree for example Negasonic, but a character likely gets added because they are wanted. And honestly, I would honestly enjoy seeing games overall try and do what the devs want to do. Imagine being able to work and make something you care deeply about. I know Avengers Alliance did precisely that. They added Kate Bishop and proceeded to write an essay in her bio describing how much the entire mod team loved her and Fraction's Hawkeye run. 
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Rhipf said:
    Akoni said:
    The Gifted was a really good show. I was really hoping it would come back for a second season. I remember it being on a weeknight known for being difficult on shows. It was also on during another big show on a rival channel. Maybe those had something to do with its demise.
    There is a second season of The Gifted.

You're right, thank you. I meant a 3rd season.
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Back to main topic. Thougths from under the shower case.

Ask yourself a question: do you have access to Marvel's latest new shows? Now whether you watch them, but do you have a possibility to do that?
    Well, I live in Central Europe. And I do not. Disney+ is not avaiable yet in my country and I hear like 18th month "it will be later this year". This means that I have only semi-legall options here to wach WandaVision, Loki or Wahat if? series.
    The point is: not all of us have same access to Marvel's properties. I would have NEVER guessed that new character is Hydra Stomper as I do not know that such character exist! The looks like of Monica Rambeau has suprised me as I do not know her D+ version of her. Alligator Loki? Same case. Wanda... ok I might have guessed that.
    Disney has just assumed that "we have a new show" means "everybody has watched it so everbody  know this characters".
    Give me a break.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I also don’t have Disney+, though have access to it being in Canada. Most of what I know about characters outside the movies comes from this game, lol.
  • Bad
    Options
    I can have access to Disney but I don't have the time to watch shows. 
    However I watched wandavision being so popular I could fool my wife to watch it together, and she almost liked it.
    The trick didn't work for falcon.
    Yes I downloaded both like a pirate.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Games are just another channel to advertise some of the latest happenings in Marvel. If it peaks your interest, you will want to find out more. iHulk was released due to his comic, Loki-gator due to tv show; Shang Chi due to movie. There are a lot of characters whom I don't know exist, but due to MPQ, I knew them and read up some of them. 

I think the % of people who watches Marvel shows/movies is many times higher than the % of people who read comics. Naturally, there are fewer releases from comics. It's simply a business decision, or majority rules.

• Mr_F
    Options
    Well, I know that business is business and they wanna make money on their IP. Seems logical. But that's not the point of my statement.
    THE POINT is that EVEN if I was advertised via the game to watch this shows and I wanted to do that I CANT. They can tie me to the chair and force to watch ads for 16h per day but that still will not make me to abele to watch them.
    Simply as that. I mean I CAN, I have like two options, none of them is fully legal: one is cheating the other one was already mentioned. Neither of them is fully legal.
    So basically, they are advertising to me something thay DO NOT WANT or CANT give me.

So.. Hey Disney, wanna me watch ya'll shows? Legally? Without cheating in any way? THEN GIVE ME LEGAL ACCESS! Or dont but then also do not shout and yeld that people in some countries has to use "the other means" to watch them. (I am not saying they do that).

• TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    We have Disney plus so I’ve been familiar with a new character every month coming from their TV , except the Hydra Stomper, we don’t watch What If ….  for the obvious reason although I won’t be stupid enough to mention it here again . I think better characters were passed over , US Agent, the variant Vision , Zemo, even Agatha Harkness has way more Marvel history . Maybe we will get them as new supports later . 
  • Bad
    edited September 2021
    Options
    For watching 6 episodes I'm not going to subscribe to a channel.
    However if I had the time, it would be pretty easy: pay the 9 E at month and watching it on phone or tablet or PC.
    Possibly it can be downloaded legally for watching it on TV like Netflix. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think that's beyond the scope of this discussion because it is something that has to be negotiated between Disney and whoever is in charge of your country's tv/streaming subscription company. Maybe you can get more people to  request for it to be made available in your country. The point is that, they want to reach a wider audience, not all audience because it's virtually impossible to reach all of them.

• Mr_F
    Options
    Yep. But I brought that up as the another argument in discussion: too many show related characters for my country is like... ya get the point.

My point is: not everybody can legally get their newest IP. And that is a reason to not overstretch that in wrong direction. Its not argumetn to NOT release them but to not release them too often. Its not like I dont like all of them (I like Yelena and Ghost much but at the same time despise Legion, Apoc and Onslo - personal preferenses here).

• Bad
    Options
    In any case it is needed to watch the show or movie to enjoy a character, as we had yelena and red guardian without being able to watch the movie, and we had sang chi before his release on theaters. 
    And I started watching wandavision like 5 months after the show ended and 2 months after mpq released her, and I don't know a thing about alligator loki either.
    The game during initial pandemic had a harsh time for releasing characters like devs themselves said and then they released more comic characters, but now the industry has started again and the game is releasing characters like before.