Has there been a lack of comic characters released recently?

Options

Comments

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,711 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pander to the 6 people buying comics or the billions of views of the films and mcu/Disney universe?

I can tell you which versions the kids and public no next to nothing about. I mean no one gave a damn about Iron man until RDJ donned the armour.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tony_Foot said:
    I can tell you which versions the kids and public no next to nothing about. I mean no one gave a damn about Iron man until RDJ donned the armour.
    There are some people who were just BORN to play a character, and RDJ is one of them.
  • Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2021
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Ronan is one of those characters who had no personality in the comic book and so his MCU counterpart who likewise has no personality isn't really a huge swerve ball.

Whoah!  Throwing some real shade Ronan's way!  Who's The Accuser now?  YOU ARE!

But yeah, I agree.  Ronin being so bland and generic is one of the key reasons I rank GotG Volume 2 ahead of Volume 1.  Also Nebula, who goes on to have one of the best arcs in the MCU, is only really developed starting in Volume 2.

Why would Ronin being bland make you not like GotG Volume 1 as much as GotG Volume 2? He wasn't in either so it shouldn't matter how bland he is.
    Now if you have a problem with Ronan being bland then you may have a point.  :D
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I’m trying to remember the last character we’ve had introduced that truly was a classic Marvel character not butchered by Disney . Electro may not be Disney but neither is she the classic villain. Kate Pryde I never heard of in the spin-off persona . I’m thinking Knull as the closest to fitting the description. ( Hopefully Disney won’t delete this post either ).
    If you are talking about that deleted post accusing someone of being a sexist racist, it was the mod.
    And I think he did it right, it was another weird off topic claim.
    I think a dead man deserves more respect and no one should see the past century with our "modern" eyes.
    After all we all are here enjoying the product of his career.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Bad said:
    I’m trying to remember the last character we’ve had introduced that truly was a classic Marvel character not butchered by Disney . Electro may not be Disney but neither is she the classic villain. Kate Pryde I never heard of in the spin-off persona . I’m thinking Knull as the closest to fitting the description. ( Hopefully Disney won’t delete this post either ).
    If you are talking about that deleted post accusing someone of being a sexist racist, it was the mod.
    I think a dead man deserves more respect and no one should see the past century with our "modern" eyes.
    You obviously have not been on the internet since the movie release of Shang-Chi. Every review I have read has referenced the problematic depiction of Fu Manchu and the Mandarin and praised Marvel for addressing these racist depictions in that movie. Hopefully we can enjoy the product of Marvel’s, not just Stan Lee but he is the figurehead, creations while understanding that there is a darker history the current creators are trying to move on from.

edit - funny, in spite of EDW railing against Disney and the modern form of Marvel the last few days they would probably agree with the sentiment of the joke she made. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't particularly care where they get the characters from, but it'd be nice if the most well-known characters weren't utter trash.  The best characters in the game are nobodies who don't matter in comics *or* in the MCU. 

Meanwhile we have no good Irons Men, Captains America, or Black Widows, Thor is the complete antithesis of his character, and the only good Hulk is a weird variant who's not playable anymore anyway.

If anybody's favorite Marvel hero is Beta Ray Bill, Okoye, or Polaris, I'd love to hear about it. 

I fully expect the next 5* will be Awkwafina from Shang-Chi, and everyone will pair her with Beta Ray Bill and roll over weak losers like Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine, and Cyclops.  Just like in the comics and movies!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I liked Polaris before she was in this game…I wish she had synergy with Havok though. I wish Havok was good too.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Zzzax? Ha ha seriously?!?!? If we are going to Zzzax levels of barrel scraping then please please please can we have Turner D Century, Drom the Backwards Man and of course Paste Pot Pete!
    @DAZ0273
    Yes, all day, every day....
    Condiment King vs Paste Pot Pete Joke - Battles - Comic Vine

6 characters
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You obviously have not been on the internet since the movie release of Shang-Chi. Every review I have read has referenced the problematic depiction of Fu Manchu and the Mandarin and praised Marvel for addressing these racist depictions in that movie. 
    edit - funny, in spite of EDW railing against Disney and the modern form of Marvel the last few days they would probably agree with the sentiment of the joke she made. 
    You are mistaken.
    She did not said racist because of sang chi film.
    She said closed minded sexist racist. Why? Who knows.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    I don't particularly care where they get the characters from, but it'd be nice if the most well-known characters weren't utter trash.  The best characters in the game are nobodies who don't matter in comics *or* in the MCU. 

Meanwhile we have no good Irons Men, Captains America, or Black Widows, Thor is the complete antithesis of his character, and the only good Hulk is a weird variant who's not playable anymore anyway.

If anybody's favorite Marvel hero is Beta Ray Bill, Okoye, or Polaris, I'd love to hear about it. 

I fully expect the next 5* will be Awkwafina from Shang-Chi, and everyone will pair her with Beta Ray Bill and roll over weak losers like Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine, and Cyclops.  Just like in the comics and movies!

I love Beta Ray Bill but am quite prepared to accept that he is "Horse-Thor" who was used by 4* Star-Lord as a distraction joke.
    I've been an Avengers fan for way too many years than I care to discern but I have a little bit of a secret to let people in on. I'm not proud to say this but...The Avengers are a terrible superhero team. Maybe their versions here at MPQ are accurate!
    Exhibit 1 - They hate each other!
    Whilst the Avengers are supposed to be the worlds Mightiest Heroes, they tend to do a lot of this instead:

Exhibit 2 - They are a menance to the World!
    I didn't even go there with all the things Iron Man, Yellowjacket and Scarlet Witch have done...oh, hi Ultron!
    Exhibit 3 - They have the worst security!
    He walked in through a hole in the wall in this issue that the Avengers hadn't got fixed after they had been attacked in their Mansion *again* - check out all the top secret data stuff and the tied up high security defence butler!
    To be fair they did once move the mansion back from the street and install a gate. That should have helped st...oh.
    Oh no, I hope they improved the Security Syst...seriously Avengers?!?!?

Exhibit 4 - You can't even trust the butler! I think this one might be fair enough though considering the above
    Exhibit 5 - They fail...so much.
    Wait...maybe I was too harsh - that is some sweet speech Cap!
    Oh. Oh no. :(
    Oh come on now...a pencil?!?!?

• TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bad said:
    You obviously have not been hi on the internet since the movie release of Shang-Chi. Every review I have read has referenced the problematic depiction of Fu Manchu and the Mandarin and praised Marvel for addressing these racist depictions in that movie. 
    You are mistaken.
    She did not said racist because of sang chi film.
    She said closed minded sexist racist. Why? Who knows.
    Because every major character that built Marvel was written out of its cinema future before Stan was cold . And rewritten in an entirely new demographical character . And as Seki stated , every movie review of Shang Chi has basically stated what I did about Stan Lee.  In over 3 years the closest thing to original character stability has been Loki , who went from villain to anti-hero at best . Black Widow died and she still got a movie . The movies and characters that put the MCU on the map, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Thor ….we won’t ever be seeing them again. Those are the story lines that made Endgame the most successful movie of all time . In the past we were usually first in line to see the newest Marvel cinema release. I don’t think we’ve gone since Endgame and if we check a Marvel release out now it’s several weeks after release if we are really bored . 
  • Sekilicious
    Options
    I liked Polaris before she was in this game…I wish she had synergy with Havok though. I wish Havok was good too.
    I also wish that characters with synergy in comics or movies had synergy in game. Okoye was my favourite character in the BP movie so am pretty happy she is one of the best character in the game outside boosts and Balance of Power. I never heard of Polaris though but then I don’t read comics anymore.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Bad said:
    You obviously have not been on the internet since the movie release of Shang-Chi. Every review I have read has referenced the problematic depiction of Fu Manchu and the Mandarin and praised Marvel for addressing these racist depictions in that movie. Hopefully we can enjoy the product of Marvel’s, not just Stan Lee but he is the figurehead, creations while understanding that there is a darker history the current creators are trying to move on from.

I'm not seeking to defend Marvel but it is useful for some additional background.
    Roy Thomas (perhaps pressured by higher ups in Cadence Industries to make use of assets) was the EiC who approved everything about Shang Chi and was the one who insisted that it could only go ahead bolted on to an existing IP that Marvel had the rights to, which of course was Fu Manchu. Everything about the origin of Shang-Chi is problematic, not least the tone of colouring chosen for the character. His creators Englehart & Stalin (who originally took him to DC to publish) have acknowledged that they compromised a lot with what they wanted to do with the character and they had problems at the time but it didn't stop them still using the racist bolt-ons foisted upon them so they got to tell their story.
    During this period at Marvel which was mid 70's, it is suspect how much Stan Lee really was involved in anything with the day to day comic books beyond vague suggestions such as "We need to do a martial arts book to tap into that audience!" - for example he didn't even know that Gwen Stacey had been killed off until he found out during a college lecture tour. That isn't to say that Stan wouldn't have greenlit the project himself and his embarrassing portrayal of women had long been stuck in the 1920's.
    Thomas created Iron Fist, a white saviour so it is pretty obvious he was fairly oblivious to cultural appropriation issues and clearly not bothered about the racist Sax Rohmer source material. I suspect that was more ignorance than pure racism though.
  • Sekilicious
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Bad said:

I'm not seeking to defend Marvel but it is useful for some additional background.
    Roy Thomas (perhaps pressured by higher ups in Cadence Industries to make use of assets) was the EiC who approved everything about Shang Chi and was the one who insisted that it could only go ahead bolted on to an existing IP that Marvel had the rights to, which of course was Fu Manchu. Everything about the origin of Shang-Chi is problematic, not least the tone of colouring chosen for the character. His creators Englehart & Stalin (who originally took him to DC to publish) have acknowledged that they compromised a lot with what they wanted to do with the character and they had problems at the time but it didn't stop them still using the racist bolt-ons foisted upon them so they got to tell their story.
    During this period at Marvel which was mid 70's, it is suspect how much Stan Lee really was involved in anything with the day to day comic books beyond vague suggestions such as "We need to do a martial arts book to tap into that audience!" - for example he didn't even know that Gwen Stacey had been killed off until he found out during a college lecture tour. That isn't to say that Stan wouldn't have greenlit the project himself and his embarrassing portrayal of women had long been stuck in the 1920's.
    Thomas created Iron Fist, a white saviour so it is pretty obvious he was fairly oblivious to cultural appropriation issues and clearly not bothered about the racist Sax Rohmer source material. I suspect that was more ignorance than pure racism though.
    Oh yeah. That is why it is more accurate to say that Marvel had problematic representations of other cultures that they are trying to rehabilitate than to reduce it to being a 'Stan Lee' problem. On the other side, I can also say that I can like Stan Lee and Marvel's work and acknowledge I do not agree with everything that they either explicitly or implicitly (by means of unacknowledged ignorance) stood for. 

This is my last post on the subject. I like the discussion when it involves a nuanced understanding of the subject matter that allows for a better understanding of the situation. Unfortunately, and I suspect this is why the original post was deleted rather than protecting Stan Lee's reputation, it can devolve quickly to very dark places. If this was Reddit it probably would have already done so.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Bad said:

Oh yeah. That is why it is more accurate to say that Marvel had problematic representations of other cultures that they are trying to rehabilitate than to reduce it to being a 'Stan Lee' problem. On the other side, I can also say that I can like Stan Lee and Marvel's work and acknowledge I do not agree with everything that they either explicitly or implicitly (by means of unacknowledged ignorance) stood for. 

This is my last post on the subject. I like the discussion when it involves a nuanced understanding of the subject matter that allows for a better understanding of the situation. Unfortunately, and I suspect this is why the original post was deleted rather than protecting Stan Lee's reputation, it can devolve quickly to very dark places. If this was Reddit it probably would have already done so.

Agreed.
    Oh and maybe just ignore that post earlier where I said The Avengers suck...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I also wish that characters with synergy in comics or movies had synergy in game. Okoye was my favourite character in the BP movie so am pretty happy she is one of the best character in the game outside boosts and Balance of Power. I never heard of Polaris though but then I don’t read comics anymore.
    It is fascinating that Okoye and Black Panther have negative synergy, since she wants you to store up team up, and he wants to hemmorage it as soon as he gets enough of it. But he sure does work great with Thanos for some reason. I also wish there was a version of Bucky that worked well with any Cap, or with Flaptain. 

I don't read comics anymore either, but she and Havok were an item in X-Factor in the early 90s when I was pretty heavily into them. She did appear on The Gifted, which seemed to be a victim of the Disney/Fox buyout talks I think; I'm not really sure what happened to that show but it was pretty alright from what I saw of it.
    https://thegifted.fandom.com/wiki/Polaris
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options
    MegaBee said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Zzzax? Ha ha seriously?!?!? If we are going to Zzzax levels of barrel scraping then please please please can we have Turner D Century, Drom the Backwards Man and of course Paste Pot Pete!
    @DAZ0273
    Yes, all day, every day....
    Condiment King vs Paste Pot Pete Joke - Battles - Comic Vine
    We've already got half of the Frightful Four in game...
    I'm hoping that the new She-Hulk series has Awesome Andy... though currently only Titania is confirmed, so that would make 3 Frightful Four members....
    Bring on the Wingless Wizard!
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hugely disappointing, this game should be renamed DPPQ. 
    Disney Princess Puzzle Quest? Where do I sign up?

It is fascinating that Okoye and Black Panther have negative synergy, since she wants you to store up team up, and he wants to hemmorage it as soon as he gets enough of it. But he sure does work great with Thanos for some reason. I also wish there was a version of Bucky that worked well with any Cap, or with Flaptain. 

I don't read comics anymore either, but she and Havok were an item in X-Factor in the early 90s when I was pretty heavily into them. She did appear on The Gifted, which seemed to be a victim of the Disney/Fox buyout talks I think; I'm not really sure what happened to that show but it was pretty alright from what I saw of it.
    https://thegifted.fandom.com/wiki/Polaris
    The Gifted was a really good show. I was really hoping it would come back for a second season. I remember it being on a weeknight known for being difficult on shows. It was also on during another big show on a rival channel. Maybe those had something to do with its demise.
  • Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Akoni said:
    The Gifted was a really good show. I was really hoping it would come back for a second season. I remember it being on a weeknight known for being difficult on shows. It was also on during another big show on a rival channel. Maybe those had something to do with its demise.
    There is a second season of The Gifted.