Strategies and advice for noobs

Options

Comments

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    With 115 4*s and counting most players won’t have to worry about 370s no matter what they open.
  • Sekilicious
    Options
    hothie said:
    Bad said:
    I only have 3*s maxed for LR. The others are continuosly climbing up and down as I have a lot of characters better than them. 
    For my LL tokens, HP, iso, 4*shards are a lot more precious than the 3* himself. 
    Now the puzzle gauntlet can be troublesome without them, though. 
    My advice is only to sell 1* covers, the others for farming. 
    I've thought about that, keeping the maxed out Lightning Round 3*s, as those don't change. And I see a lot of maxed champs during the Lightning Rounds. So I will definitely keep those, as I use them weekly. And you're right, sometimes the Puzzle Gauntlets work better with specific 3* characters.

It's a bridge that I haven't crossed yet, but will be soon, so I definitely listen to the advice and experience of those who have crossed that bridge. I guess I'll see when I get there. And Daz is right, the extra slots required for farming I can see as being expensive and time-consuming to manage. Maybe when I get a dupe champed I'll reconsider with some of them.
    My experience was that by the time I took my first to 266 I was essentially post-hp so getting the extra roster spots is not a big deal. YMMV but so far I’ve only had to sell one max champ 3* to roster a 5*. After a while getting new characters is a rare experience, outside the two new characters per month.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Personally I flip 266 3*s with reckless abandon. They don’t affect my 5* MMR in pick 2 at all, and running the loaner saves me a health pack. I usually wait till I have at least a single replacement cover but I’ll occasionally sell them off without one if I need the iso to champ somebody in a tier above them.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In critical matches where double-matches (defined as two match-3 or more in 1 move) will shift the tide of matches, it's important to move the right one first because your second match in that move will receive a 25% reduction in damage. For example, in a double-match,

Yellow match-3 deals 2800 damage.
    Purple match-3 deals 2000 damage.

If you move yellow first, your total damage is (2800*3)+(2000*3*75%) = 12,900 damage.

If you move purple first instead, your total damage is 12,300. You might be thinking the extra 600 damage is insignificant. But I'm sure you have faced situation where if you had that extra few hundred damage, the match would have ended and opponent won't have that extra turn to fire its power and caused you to use healthpack.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2021
    Options
    If the order of passive powers is not important to you, then who gets brought to the front when one of your characters is downed might be important. Because you want to let your main damage dealer have as much hp as possible if they are alone. Here it goes:

At the "Assemble Your Heroes" screen, the order is 2/1/3. 

Assume you are running  Polaris/Essential 3*/R4G in the above order.

If your Essential 3* is downed, R4G will be brought to the front. 

If Polaris is downed, Essential 3* will be brought to the front.

If R4G is downed, Polaris will be brought to the front.

If your R4G gets downed more frequently than the Essential, than you will want to run your team in this order:
     R4G/Essential/Polaris

Likewise, if your essential gets downed more frequently, you will run Polaris/Essential/R4G instead. This can apply to many other teams as well.

• Cataliban
    Cataliban Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I hope this belongs to this thread:

Have anyone a comprehensive LEXICON to the game?

Example:
    R4G - Rocket and Groot (4*)
    Carbusa - Carnage (4*) + Medusa (4*)
    Britty - Beta Ray Bill (5*) + Kitty Pryde (5*)

I looked for it when I started playing but I did't found it.

I think that, for beginners, knowing the particular slang pf the game is very useful.

TIA
  • hothie
    hothie Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Cataliban said:
    I hope this belongs to this thread:

Have anyone a comprehensive LEXICON to the game?

Example:
    R4G - Rocket and Groot (4*)
    Carbusa - Carnage (4*) + Medusa (4*)
    Britty - Beta Ray Bill (5*) + Kitty Pryde (5*)

I looked for it when I started playing but I did't found it.

I think that, for beginners, knowing the particular slang pf the game is very useful.

TIA

I very much agree. This is the best one that I could find, but it needs to be updated.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/3600/common-forum-abbreviations#latest

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    **Mod note: Removed spam post and post containing off-site link.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Burnout

Avoid burnout by discovering your play style and goals. Between 3 types of PvP, PvE, Alliance events, Puzzle Gauntlets, Character Intros, and DDQ there is quite a bit going on with this game. Prioritize your play by focusing on the things you like the most and play the rest as desired. There are alliances for every type of play. Once you know how you play and what your focus is, try looking for an alliance with similar members.

Finally, have fun and don't be afraid to take a break if you need one. If you have the itch to play, but don't have the time or energy, just play DDQ and continue with your life. It's better to take a day or two off than to rage quit and come back a year later trying to catch up.
  • Akoni
    Options
    Classic versus Latest Legends stores

You've been looking at all of those champion points that are pooling up. It's getting really tempting to use those in the store to boost your roster, but you're not sure which store. Classic or Lastest?

Pull from Classic if you...
    1. Are currently working on your 4* roster,
    2. Have no (or a tiny) 5* roster,
    3. Like to collect everything,
    4. Aren't that competitive in PvP,
    5. Have no specific character you really, REALLY want.
    Pull from Latest (or special stores) if you...
    1. Have pretty much fleshed out your 4* roster,
    2. Are serious about building up your 5* roster,
    3. Are not interested in collecting everything,
    4. Are very competitive in PvP,
    5. Have a specific character you are trying to obtain.
    Players have been very successful and satisfied using either approach. You can also invest in both strategies by going all in for the 1-3 characters featured in Latest, then switching over to Classic when those characters are no longer featured.
  • Sekilicious
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I switched from classics to hoarding once I got a bunch of 4*s fully covered that I could no longer afford the iso to champ. I think I had 20 in the queue when I stopped pulling, though I used LL tokens to roster the newest 5* once they rotated into latest. 

The purpose of the initial hoard is to find meta characters to transition from 4* into 5* play. You probably want 300 pulls to ensure it but I never did that myself. Ideally a meta pair (like Scarlet Witch and Colossus or Apocalypse and Immortal Hulk) enters LL tokens and you can pull everything to get them. Or wait for special stores and pull only using cp. Using a combination of these methods I have been able to fully cover Kitty Pride with Shang-Chi, Beta Ray Bill and Apocalypse over 10 covers. 

After finishing 2 or 3 it will be easier to play at the highest SCL for the best rewards. And you can decide whether you want to pull from LL continuously to champ the latest as they are released or to hoard for more meta characters. 
  • fractalvisions
    fractalvisions Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I switched from classics to hoarding once I got a bunch of 4*s fully covered that I could no longer afford the iso to champ. I think I had 20 in the queue when I stopped pulling, though I used LL tokens to roster the newest 5* once they rotated into latest. 

Interesting. I recently decided to go the other way and start spending my CP on classics as I figure all those extra covers (except the saved ones, of course) will get me to the next shield rank and bonus ISO that little bit quicker and so will help me champ my queue of 4*s in addition to helping me flesh out my 5*s.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Classics are really having a moment these days it seems.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Akoni said:
    hothie said:
    Farming
    …..,(cut)

Strategy 1
    In the beginning, consider keeping the fully champed character, Bullseye #1, while you build your second 2* character, Bullseye #2. Once Bullseye #2 is almost as strong as Bullseye #1, you can sell Bullseye #1.
    Con: You will need to spend HP to buy more roster slots, but those slots will be put to use in the future anyway, so not much of a con.
    Pro: You will have a strong character on your roster to use for events.

Strategy 2
    Once you begin using more 3* characters than 2* characters, you can sell your fully champed Bullseye as soon as you get another Bullseye cover.
    Con: Any events or battles that requires 2* Bullseye will have you using a weak single cover version of him.
    Pro: You can cash in quickly on a character that is no longer as important and use the Iso-8 that you get to champ a much needed 3* character.
    Strategy 3
    Once your 2* maxes out at level 144, simply hold onto the extra covers in your queue for 2 weeks. Before the oldest cover expires, sell the max champ and immediately rechamp the character. This would cost you about 9K Iso and the champ reward train continues. 

Con: you have a large number of 2* covers in your queue, but you can filter that

Pro: you always have a strong 2* character to use AND you don’t have to spend $75K iso later down the road to rechamp them. Plus, this doesn’t require any extra roster slots. 
    Using the iso from the max champ to champ someone else is like robbing Peter to pay Paul. I would rather spend the maintenance cost of 9K iso to keep the farm going than to pay back the 75K iso later on. It seems like I’m the only one that does this method, but I think it’s best. 

• Akoni
    Options
    bbigler said:
    Akoni said:
    hothie said:
    Farming
    …..,(cut)

Strategy 1
    In the beginning, consider keeping the fully champed character, Bullseye #1, while you build your second 2* character, Bullseye #2. Once Bullseye #2 is almost as strong as Bullseye #1, you can sell Bullseye #1.
    Con: You will need to spend HP to buy more roster slots, but those slots will be put to use in the future anyway, so not much of a con.

Strategy 2
    Once you begin using more 3* characters than 2* characters, you can sell your fully champed Bullseye as soon as you get another Bullseye cover.
    Con: Any events or battles that requires 2* Bullseye will have you using a weak single cover version of him.
    Pro: You can cash in quickly on a character that is no longer as important and use the Iso-8 that you get to champ a much needed 3* character.
    Strategy 3
    Once your 2* maxes out at level 144, simply hold onto the extra covers in your queue for 2 weeks. Before the oldest cover expires, sell the max champ and immediately rechamp the character. This would cost you about 9K Iso and the champ reward train continues. 

Con: you have a large number of 2* covers in your queue, but you can filter that

Pro: you always have a strong 2* character to use AND you don’t have to spend $75K iso later down the road to rechamp them. Plus, this doesn’t require any extra roster slots. 
    Using the iso from the max champ to champ someone else is like robbing Peter to pay Paul. I would rather spend the maintenance cost of 9K iso to keep the farm going than to pay back the 75K iso later on. It seems like I’m the only one that does this method, but I think it’s best. 

Ok, I've read this several times and I'm sure I'm missing something. So before your oldest cover expires, you sell your max champed 2*. Let's say it's Storm. This nets you some iso and opens up a slot. You use that slot to roster the newer Storm and if you have enough covers in the queue, you champ her. I'm assuming you're using the iso from the sell of your last Storm to champ this one, but how does it only cost you 9k iso to champ the new Storm?
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Akoni said:
    bbigler said:
    Akoni said:
    hothie said:
    Farming
    …..,(cut)

Strategy 1

Strategy 2
    Strategy 3

Ok, I've read this several times and I'm sure I'm missing something. So before your oldest cover expires, you sell your max champed 2*. Let's say it's Storm. This nets you some iso and opens up a slot. You use that slot to roster the newer Storm and if you have enough covers in the queue, you champ her. I'm assuming you're using the iso from the sell of your last Storm to champ this one, but how does it only cost you 9k iso to champ the new Storm?

Sell back price for a max champ is 65K ISO. That's most of the cost of champing a new one (69K + 5K to champ). Hence you need 9K extra ISO.
    KGB
  • Akoni
    Options
    Thank you. I was misreading it.
  • Sekilicious
    Options

Interesting. I recently decided to go the other way and start spending my CP on classics as I figure all those extra covers (except the saved ones, of course) will get me to the next shield rank and bonus ISO that little bit quicker and so will help me champ my queue of 4*s in addition to helping me flesh out my 5*s.
    This is a good point. I will pull from classics the rest of this month and try to roster the remaining 5*s, try to make some progress getting BRB and Apoc fully covered, and get some sweet, sweet iso.
  • Akoni
    Options
    Spending for non-whales

If you're not opposed to spending money on a free-to-play game, but also not interested in breaking the bank, then you want to focus on the best bang for your buck.

VIP
    Many have spent money on VIP, myself included, and have found it to be worth it in the beginning. Down the road when your roster is more robust, your opinion may change, but it's a great place to start.

Offers
    Generally, I do not spend on offers, but when I do, I focus my efforts on my top characters. Your top 10 characters will change as you progress through higher tiers (i.e. 3*, 4*, and 5*). Spending for covers outside of your top 10 will just be a waste as you will rarely, if ever, use that character. 

Finally, if an offer pops up for a limited time, remember that offers are cyclical. If you miss it, it will be offered again in the future. If you're not sure whether a purchase is worth it or not, ask the forum. Someone's made that purchase either in the past or recently and can tell you whether they believe it to be a worthwhile purchase.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

VIP is a great tool for a mid-tier 4* player to early mid-tier 5* player.  Once you know your roster can sustainably champion all new 5*, and your close to being iso positive.  You can safely stop being a VIP member.

The various offers are good for targeted spending to acquire a personal favorite or complete a meta class character.  There is no shame in spending $50-100 to acquire a personal favorite character at ANY tier.  and its certainly well worth it to finish a 12 cover meta character that otherwise won't be championable for several months (barring a lucky draw, or an upcoming event reward).

I do agree there is no product that is tailored to the end stage 5* player.  There is simply no compelling product that a end stage player can't reasonable accomplish on their own without spending.  Even things like extra saved teams slots are just a convience and not really a mandatory need.